Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Hydroponic systems can be finicky to get setup right, have the risk of leakage which being you should concern you quite a lot, plus if you accidentally poison them with too much of a nutrient they can die extremely quickly before you can notice and take action. It would be a large expense with unknown profits, big risks, and you'd also have to haul around all the hydroponics gear and lights if you ever moved, and if I recall your car was already stuffed pretty full.

Your buddy who is doing this who can manage to pull a profit growing "BASIL" is probably only able to do so because of a good deal of experience and hydroponic knowledge, which you don't have.

Bottom line - if you want to do this, good for you! Growing plants is fun and therapeutic, I love seeing how they progress and grow bigger and bigger, and I'm sure you would end up growing all kinds of things :3 It'll just take quite a lot of knowledge and know-how to be able to cut down the risks to the point where you'd be able to guarantee a profit. If you're serious, start researching more about hydroponics, what color temperatures basil grows under best, upfront costs of such a setup, etc. This would be an intensive endeavor, and I'm not sure that you have the time to devote to a project like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

tuyop posted:

Does it even matter?

I'm still going to buy a Macbook Air before a six-month cash emergency fund, 20% downpayment, and whatever else that will take us all next year to build up. I'll probably get it when I get my student ID next month for the education discount.

As for the future after the car is paid off using my pension, I don't know. We both want to move toward an 80% savings rate, but we're also tired of owning only worn out or broken stuff and dressing like poor college students and living in shitholes. I think we can have a nicer lifestyle without spending a shitload of money, a la MMM, but it's not going to be free. Some planning, saving and soulsearching is in order.

This change in attitude you're exhibiting is amazing. I've been reading since day 1 and I'm really impressed, you've sure come a long way Tuyop! Keep it up! :)

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

over this thread too!

Congrats Tuyop! It must be pretty loving awesome to finally be debt-free. Seeing your success has really motivated me to be smarter about my money. Thanks, Tuyop.

We will be needing updates of course, at least for the continuing case of Tuyop vs Transportation. Your incredible misfortune is amazing.

• Locked thread