Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

You shouldn't expect to defeat him, he is designed to be a war machine.

illcendiary posted:

I don't really get it either. It's as if some people think that the card literally jumps out of your wallet and starts spending itself without your consent.

Seriously. My credit cards paid me about $600 or so for the privilege of my business last year. What's not to like?

Edit: For content's sake, whomever was recommending bankruptcy is an idiot. While he's right that you're 1 or 2 serious crises away from going over the edge, BKing right now is at best premature. If and when the crises hit, THEN declare BK, not now. You can always just stop paying on your unsecured debt if it comes to it.

For the moment, Tuyop, focus on paying down your smaller debts to improve your cash flow. I personally don't think that selling the car would be worth it long term due to how long it'll take you, but if and when you started making significant headway it may be worth considering.

T0MSERV0 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

tuyop posted:

I spent literally $0 on this trip. Unless you count the 15 bucks I spent

:doh:

Absolutely follow up on the gas. Ideally they can give you a receipt (especially if you used a rewards card or anything like that). You can also try a charge back as a last ditch effort, but hopefully it won't come to that.

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

tuyop posted:

cheese, no such thing as too much.

This right here is the first thing tuyop's wrote that I've completely agreed with.

As for "borrowing against next month", especially if you're ordering online and taking shipping into account, I don't see a problem with that. So long as you account for it accordingly (via Mint's budget-rollover or otherwise), it's all the same and it's a wash after the first month's setup time. If you will be regularly spending money ahead of time to account for the shipping, then this problem will fix itself.

For example, I give myself 100 bucks for blow money (not the drug) every month. Every month I spend it all and go over about 25 bucks, and then say "drat, I'm over 25 bucks, I need to tighten up" and stop spending. Then, next month, I equalize and only take out 75 bucks and overspend the 25 again. For whatever reason, my mind doesn't lock on target until I'm 25 in the red, but in reality, I overspent 25 bucks ~3 years ago and have been fine ever since. Even though I realize this and can say to myself "T0MSERV0, you're being an idiot" it's just the way my brain works. Net is it doesn't matter so long as you are honest with yourself about what you're spending when and equalize it vs. saying "Oops over $X this month oh well!" and taking out the full amount next month.

PS: Smoking will kill you and is a bad habit, but I've got plenty of my own and it's your life, so do your thing.

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

A few things:

1. Cheap =/= thrifty. If you pay more for something because it works better and lasts longer it can be cheaper in the long run.

That said, if you're really concerned about chafing, you can get cheaper underwear and A gently caress TON of gold bond medicated powder for less than $100 and get the same effect.

2. Overdrafting. Are you loving kidding me? Overdrafting! Do you know how many times I've overdrafted an account in my entire life? Zero. Do you know how I've done so? I can do math. There is ZERO excuse for anyone to overdraft an account accidentally, and if you've seriously been doing it that much for that long then I don't know what to tell you. I can't believe that people have glossed over this point without calling you out on it. Fix your poo poo!

3. How the gently caress do you people keeps socks as long as you do?! I'm lucky if a pair of socks makes it 6 months wearing them 1 time/week without getting holes in them, let alone this "wear the same pair of socks for 1/2 a year without washing them" poo poo. And the wool socks die just as fast as the regular ones - I've tried them.

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

You know what's annoying, tuyop? And I mean really loving annoying? How you keep skipping over the serious comments and criticism to find the lighthearted comments that people throw in. You've avoided commenting on the vast majority of posts calling you on the tremendous amount of bullshit you do/have written in this thread (reference asmallrabbit's awesome post on the previous page), but you're on my socks comment like white on rice.

Good job, man. Way to act like you give a drat.

Edit: poo poo, new page. Need to make this count, so I'll quote these for easy reference:

tuyop posted:

Mastercard: December 2011
Laptop: January 2012
Visa: April 2012
Student loan: May 2013
Car Loan: May 2014

Alright thread, we've got a gauntlet thrown down. Who's taking bets as to how well these predictions will do, given the thread's progress so far?

T0MSERV0 fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 1, 2011

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

tolerabletariff posted:

strategically default on your car loan.

Why the hell would he default on the car if he can keep up on the payments? Yes he's underwater on it, but so is EVERYONE who finances a new car EVER at some point. He's in the worst part of the depreciation curve, so the delta between loan value and car value is rough right now, but in a couple years he'll be fine. Also, you're dead wrong: Most car loans ARE RECOURSE LOANS - otherwise everyone could drive a new car for a year and hand it back and the dealer would be screwed every time.

Besides, Tuyop is in the military, and his credit could very easily effect his job status, so risking it for a measly 5k is just plain stupid.

In spite of Tuyop's mistakes in life/the thread, he's not had any trouble making the min payments, it was more about turning around the course of his life, and he's working on it. He's never posted that he'd had trouble making payments before his pay got screwed up (and even then is was paying extra on debt, not minimums), so it sounds like he can keep it up.

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I agree completely with most of your post but this is simply not true. You can avoid being upside down on a car loan simply by making a sufficiently large down payment. For an extreme example: if the car you buy will lose 30% of its value the day you drive it off the lot, make a 30% down payment and you will never be upside down on the car (unless I guess if you go for like a seven-year loan or something).

Most people put far less down on a new car than they would need to to stay right-side up, but that's why insurance companies offer "gap coverage". Given how low the interest is on car loans these days, it can make a lot of sense to finance more than you really need to, but staying right-side up so you don't have to pay extra for gap coverage is not a terrible idea.

No, you'd still be upside down on the car for that period. You might not be upside down on the LOAN, but you'd be upside down on the car. To use your example for a $10,000 car, you'd go in and pay 3k down and finance 7k on what ends up being a 7k vehicle. Just because that 3k isn't part of the loan doesn't mean you didn't just pay 10k for a vehicle that is now worth 7k - you're still out 3k, you just elected to pay your way above water up front. Since most people don't turn around and sell cars that they just bought, no one would really care, but the financial value of the transaction (excluding cost of interest) is identical whether you finance 100% of the vehicle or 0%: There will be a point in time where the vehicle's depreciation will outstrip what you've paid for the car, but over time the two values will come back together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T0MSERV0
Jul 24, 2007

This is approaching schleprock levels of lovely luck.

• Locked thread