Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahDavidLeeRoth
Sep 23, 2008

One thing to be very careful about when doing a balance transfer to another credit card is NOT to use that credit card until you've paid the balance off. I've always seen them apply a rule that your payments go towards what you transferred and not your new purchases. Therefore you end up getting a poo poo ton of interest applied to your purchases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahDavidLeeRoth
Sep 23, 2008

I know it's fun to jump all over tuyop, but he was clearly talking about his friend.

YeahDavidLeeRoth
Sep 23, 2008

It's really not a problem though. Tuyop and toeshoes are making candles from their earwax, all it took was getting a $25 book on earwax candles. Now they have free light and are recycling body waste y'all :c00l:

YeahDavidLeeRoth
Sep 23, 2008

WampaLord posted:

:smith:

Why aren't you using past security deposits to pay for future ones? Are you ruining these places in the 1-2 months that you live there so much that you're losing the deposit? Or when you get the security deposit back from a place after you leave do you go "Yay, windfall of money! Time to spend!"?

I don't know where you live, but anytime I move, I get the security deposit after I move out but have to pay the new place's security deposit BEFORE I move in. It's a situation that many people face that often results in borrowing money*

*hello savings/emergency fund

YeahDavidLeeRoth
Sep 23, 2008

tuyop posted:

To be fair, the "pile of debt" at this point is a 16.8k car loan at 1.9% interest with a >100k/year gross salary. It's a big problem because I'm upside-down on the car by probably about 10k, but it's not what most normal, middle-class people would consider a crippling debt burden.

I don't want their finances either and want to aggressively continue to get debt-free, but the situation isn't as dire as "pile of debt" implies.

I think the most dangerous situation you're now finding yourself in is that you are really focused on how much money you're making and then living up to that to an extent. Buying a mac book air (gently caress the MBA abbreviation y'all) is fine because of that >100k/year gross salary. The problem is that after several of those "not a problem because I make >100K" you find yourself living dangerously close to spending all your income.

Let's face it tuyop, it doesn't really sound like you've ever been bad off. I don't recall any points where you were earning peanuts. You didn't end up in debt because of a lack of income, it was due to an excess of spending. That's the danger with you and why people are voicing concern about the mac book air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahDavidLeeRoth
Sep 23, 2008

Well done Tuyop...how do you feel?

• Locked thread