Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

This thread made me curl up in my chair and tremble for a little bit because I tried to fathom being $56,000 in debt with your paycheck, OP.

And I thought we were in awful shape when we were $16k in. I mean, we were. But good. god.

Does your office know about this debt? Because god, if you were US military I'd imagine you'd be in for all sorts of councilings and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

They as a couple may not exist after 3 months in basic (and/or whatever extra school time she's got going on) and her getting moved 2000 miles away so it's possibly pointless. Unless they're getting married as soon as she's through basic, in which case, I wonder if they've thought about military moving expenses. :allears: Because they don't pay for everything, don't reimburse you for everything, and if you're going overseas (does Canada have overseas stations?), you might be in a hotel a hell of a lot longer than you assume.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 22, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

E: :ohdear: Quick, somebody get an ambulance in here. ^^^^

Wolfy posted:

It's okay because tuyop listened to our advice and has an emergency fund for random events such as this.

I'm no fiscal triathelete or anything, but shouldn't a move they can plan months in advanced be beyond 'emergency fund' stuff? Like shouldn't it be a 'moving fund' rather than dipping into the 'emergency fund'?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

Any move that the army puts you through is paid for beyond your costs. People regularly make 5k on moves. Not that it matters.

Uh.. huh.

So what you're saying is the Canadian military is, far and wide, loving over the Canadian government during moves? I'd like to know how, actually. Are you guys just charging a bunch of bullshit on government credit cards? How is this getting past?

American=/=Canadian forces but god drat, a lot of folks are out a lot of money on a lot of moves, that doesn't get paid back whatsoever. I'm sincerely curious how this is so much different and how people are making this kind of cash.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

I'm not going to stop smoking.

Beyond "I don't want to" do you have any reason not to? Is it a coping thing? Because man, you're really far in debt and I realize it's not a TON of cash.. but you may as well just set that money you're spending on cigs ablaze. If you don't want to use that cash to pay off your bills, at least you'd have it for 'fun stuff' instead of having to draw more off yourself.

E: VVVV I mean hobbies that he can actually keep and get something out of, or fun he can have with his girlfriend that's about to disappear for a few months.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 23, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

archangelwar posted:

I honestly have no idea, but I do know that I got new boots.

Boots y'all. :c00lbert:

I bet he's gotten a lot of new hats, too.

Coldfront is clearly in Canada.

Tuyop, if there's so many issues with the paycheck, why wouldn't you cling to every dime? Hell, every time they start talking about government shutdown earlier this year, I curled up in a ball around the ATM card and wouldn't let anyone near it (because what if it lasted longer than 6 months? We'd be looking at losing our house and all kinds of horrible poo poo :ohdear: )

You need to stop and realize that if you stopped getting paid right now you would have absolutely nothing for.. well, anything. You're still hemming and hawing about a lot of stuff. You really need to devote yourself to this. :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

Guys, I really want a new iphone. My 3GS is now two generations behind. Two! Things are going to stop being supported for it soon! What do I do?

I hope this is a joke, dude. You have a phone that works properly and is up to date, technology wise.

You don't even need an iPhone.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I can't believe you're complaining about frozen vegetables and an omelette flipped with a wooden spoon and how it -looks- in the same breath that you're complaining about hundreds in car care.

Take care of your car. Get a new spatula (a cheap one. >$3). Get some coffee filters, or try drinking tea in the morning instead. gently caress the hydroponic stuff. I agree with the other folks. The last thing you need is more water stuff when you're already drowning.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

It was mostly that I was having an amazingly bad week, I got some coffee filters and a spatula (1.25) since I was getting tired of having scrambled eggs.

My pay is sorted out for the 31st. 1950 and next month I should get some more field pay as well. And I'm going to the field on Monday again so that will help too. The quitting smoking is turning out to be difficult and I think I'm going to overdraft about 35 bucks it the tax cheque I wrote gets cashed before the 31st. Good thing I didn't cancel overdraft protection yet.

I'll post an update at the end of next week. Christmas is going to gently caress me up, though I'm hoping to spend only 40 bucks.

Go visit the DIY forum in Creative Convention and MAKE your giftees some stuff. You'll probably get out under $40. I'm not going to bitch at you about spending $40 on christmas stuff. But you're overdrafting that amount this month.

You are overdrafting, Tuyop.

Because your bank does not have any actual money in it. The only financial support you have is your plastic. If they fail you, you will starve and you will not be able to touch your cigarettes.

Haha, I have overdraft protection is not how you look at an overdraft. This is getting worse instead of better. Go back and read your OP. Read through your own thread man. You're sinking fast. I'd encourage you to go on a run when you're stressed out instead of buying poo poo, but I don't think you can do that in your current state, right? Can you make it to a library? Go there and rent books. Read until your eyes water. Anything to get you to stop frivilous buying.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

Yeah I'm overdrafting. I guess that's what happens when I get double charged for food and rent and have a significant car repair in the same month with no emergency fund. I know what I have to do to keep it from happening again and I'll do that.

The problem is, that isn't that significant a car repair, man. It's more along the lines of maintenance than say, your radiator blowing on you.

I worry that you're still shrugging at it and going "oh well, can't change it!". Though that you know what you have to do to keep it from happening again is uplifting. :)

How did you get charged double for food? That one confuses me.

And I do agree that gift giving is not mandatory. If it's between you eating that $40 or charging $40 in groceries so you can give presents, I hope you'll eat it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Foma posted:

Why didn't you move the money from your savings account to avoid the overdraft? :confused:

I suspect it's one of those accounts that you have to have x amount in the account so it stays open.

:) But I'm glad for that other post, tuyop. Hopefully your tires last through this season no problem.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I finally realized this was the thread I couldn't remember to catch up on (it's been bugging me forever).

Tuyop, I want to kick you in the right direction via your balls. You come off really intelligent in a general way, but drat dude, you do some of the craziest, dumbest stuff.

As of most recently, why didn't you bring up the investment in the thread first? Wouldn't it be so much easier to just get others' opinions on stuff before you have to pay fees and stuff to switch it over to something safer? There's a lot I could say, but most everybody has said everything else. And with the luck you're having with speeding tickets, man, maybe you should start biking to work. :psyduck:

In about 1 year you inherit 13000. You're going to use it to pay off debt. That's great. It's certainly what I'd do in your position. But I'm worried that 13000 will just jump right back on you down the road.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

I thought about biking to work, but its 30km away and also winter so I don't think it's really a great option.

I dunno, you'd have an amazing rear end for when your girlfriend gets back. But yeah, 30km is a bit much. I just. man, you have terrible luck with everything that has to do with circles. (bullets are circular :colbert: )

"I haven't had a vacation since 2010". ...That isn't that long, man. Husband hasn't had a vacation since 2008 and probably won't be getting one until much, much later this year and he's military too.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Kobayashi posted:

And you wonder why I post condescending bullshit in your thread. You've no interest in checking your larger-than-life entitlement complex, and you think it's cool to blatantly insult everyone here giving you good advice. Here's the thing: You could rewrite your post to say the exact same thing, but without the woe-is-me self-pity and implied sense of superiority and we'd applaud your progress. Instead you go on and on about how awesome your dong is and how we're all a bunch of penny-counting propellor heads. You really think you're the only person in this forum that's been in a long distance relationship? That likes to travel? The difference isn't that you're the understudy for the Most Interesting Man In The World and we're a bunch of spreadsheet jockies. No, it's that we all have dreams in life and things we'd like to, but that you haven't figured out that you're not entitled to your every whim. My advice to you would be this: Say thank you to the people giving you advice in this thread. Don't insult them by acting like it's the loving inquisition to be told what a man your age should really know by now.

This dude has some really harsh words for you, but he's right on a lot of fronts. Okay? Look through the anger and condescension and see what he's saying dude because you need to hear it.

I can't even fathom paying $2100 for a vacation.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

Yeah that particular vacation was 1400 return to Ankara, economy. First class would be like 10x that amount. Then 700 for food, transport, and accommodations for 14 days. It was pretty cheap for a trip from Canada to Turkey, but I understand what you're all saying. I'd really like to start saving a small amount to go back to the Grand Canyon or Newfoundland to hike or something, but it really doesn't make sense right now.

Pay off your massive, soul-crushing debt, spend 4 months saving then go take a week at the grand canyon. If you're paying your debt down this fast, you could probably do it in 4 months AND still be paying into your emergency fund.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

archangelwar posted:

Compulsory minimum in New Brunswick is $200,000. I am not sure if/why you end up in a category 5 times higher, but you would have to run your car into a gas tank outside a government building or cause a 100 car pileup on the freeway to ever hit your liability limit. Me thinks you might want to research this because you could end up saving a lot of money.

This poor dude gets attacked repeatedly by his own belongings and you're questioning why his insurance is so high? I wouldn't even insure this dude. :ohdear:

But yeah, tuyop, seriously. Look into renter's insurance.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

2400 for both of us, come on now.

How does that make it $1400?

Tuyop, I too dream of spending several thousand dollars wrecklessly but I don't because I like money. We need to encourage you to like money too, is what I'm saying.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

I have a confession to make, I've been avoiding the forums for days because I feel bad. I went on another vacation, without saving up or really planning at all.

Stop doing this! Stop it! If you want to waste $750 so bad, throw it in a charity box or something! Or the facebook stock! No more vacations! Stop it!

What are you going to do if your girlfriend gets deployed or something? What about if they send her overseas for 6 months for some military exchange thing? I don't think I've ever really seen you talk about her being gone for you know, 6 months to a year or more at once. Do you guys have a game plan for that? Because you might be surprised how this works out financially. Depression/Sad=Spending. And you.. you just. You don't spend lightly.

quote:

And I'm looking at my car insurance policy right now.

Vehicle is 2010 Mazda 3 sport GS/GT 2.5L
Premium: 2419

On my car I have third party liability, which means:

Equaling $1 000 000.

With a $1000 deductible for "collision or upset" and "Comprehensive (excluding collision or upset)".

I think the way it breaks down is, I pay:

538 for my million in personal liability
217 for property damage coverage
235 for individual accident benefit assurance
898 for collision
501 for comprehensive
30 as a vehicle fee
for a total of 2419

I don't think there's any way to reduce it, because I asked if it was possible to save any money at all, and they said no. It may be high because I'm a "risky driver" or whatever.

It "may be" high. Dude, as much as I wanna see you on the right road to recovery, I wanna see you there as a pedestrian because I worry when you start talking about having keys in your hand. :ohdear:

My question is: Do you have $1000 for a deductible if you crashed your car literally right this second? It's already ungodly high. How much higher would it be if you lowered your deductible, anyway?

But yeah your insurance is high because your luck with cars is godawful poo poo.

E: VVVV I'm trying to be nice :(

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 25, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

What solutions would you suggest?

Talk. Now. Bring it up literally the next time you talk to her. Because this is a very, very big problem and I'm glad you realize it is a problem but it is way bigger than you think it is and probably 75% of the reason military marriages/relationships fail OTHER than you know, people being literally the gently caress insane (please go read GIP's current posting party about former girlfriends and stuff for further information on that :stare: ). It is a really, really big thing. I can't possibly state that in a way that you can fully grasp until she is gone for an entire year and you have not seen her once, at all, and you've maybe been lucky enough to get a few emails and instant messages across back and forth.

Because bluntly, even if you two are devoted right now, a year or more apart and who knows what will happen. Even if you stay together, I could easily see you depress spending yourself into a hole you will drown in especially in your current state.

As far as direct advice, be tough as nails, never use the words 'I miss you' (because I guarantee that they are in a worse place than you are and she will want to be home way, way more), don't whine bitch or complain, deal with your poo poo and only call her into it unless it's necessary.. which doesn't mean don't include her, but if you have a flat tire and she's being shot at, well, y'know?, and get used to time apart. Get used to eating out alone, going to movies alone, enjoying yourself alone and it gets way, way easier. You're already kinda doing that, I think, but you just trotted off and spent $750 on a vacation because you wanted to see her and have fun with her. When she's a bazillion miles away, you can't just up and do that. And that's what will break your rear end if you don't talk about it now.

Well, that and the "Oh, the news is reporting that a bunch of people died at the base she's at? And I have go about my day like it's nothing?" mindfuck stuff. The bills still have to be paid even if you can't contact her and it's on the news that her base came under heavy fire or whatever the hell.

And I'm pretty sure you know some of this from being in the military yourself but.. well, you asked. v:shobon:v

Talk. Now.

E: And as far as the money goes, you need to find out if she'd be leaving you a POA, a SPOA, what her will looks like, how she'd want the money worked with, etc. Yeah, deployments pay out the rear end but she's probably not going to want to come home to a dime in the bank.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

She may just not get just how much he's in over his head, either. It may not be negligence or not giving a poo poo, she may just not get it. Some people don't.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

Regarding the insurance, is there anything obvious that I can do to reduce my premiums that the insurance salesperson wouldn't have noticed?

The only thing I can think of would be raising your deductible sky high and then you'd be really hosed when/if you wreck this car. I'd not recommend it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I dunno, I think planning out this massive, potentially explosive, potentially very bad girlfriend situation (also if not planned out like, now) could also really gently caress him financially.

I totally agree he needs to get his job ducks in a row too, but you really can't undercut the girlfriend/random vacations/etc situation either.

Also I'm 25 and we don't do this kinda poo poo, "being 24" isn't much of an excuse. ...On that note, Tuyop, when do you turn 25? I know some insurance agencies lower rates some when you turn 25 in the states. It may be something to check in on up there too.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

I felt like we could get away with spending just the windfall on the trip, and since it would be the last time we'd see each other all summer it's really not that much. I think I could have prevented this if I'd just destroyed my cards months ago, because I wouldn't have had the cash on hand to actually pay. I definitely have a problem. :(

If she's getting sent away for a year are you going to go blow $5k on a vacation for a couple of weeks running around and doing stuff? I'm glad you say you have a problem, but I really don't know if you still really get just how bad of a problem you have.

This is not a windfall in comparison to how deep you're in dude. You realize that that money, at your current insurance level, would not even pay for your insurance for 2 years? In comparison to what you're dealing with, it is a miniscule amount of money. Like pissing on a wildfire. And in keeping with the fire stuff: if you keep doing stuff like this, you're gonna get burned.

Tuyop's car is a 2010. Toeshoes just got in. Noone is a "lifer" until they retire at 20 years (or longer or whatever the hell your country's limits are). Look at how Tuyop's plans went.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fraternite posted:

Drop your collision and comprehensive. You'll still be covered for the damage you are responsible for to other people and things (which is the legal minimum), but your poo poo won't be covered for the damage you're responsible for.

The only way I would be able to not justify dropping collision and comprehensive is if you still owe a shitton of money on your car. If you drop C&C and get into another accident in which you are at fault, you'll still have the loan but you won't have the car anymore. So if you don't owe a mint on the vehicle, get rid of C&C now.

Car loan was $25,550 last July. So it's probably around $20,000-$21,000 if my math is right and he's just been paying minimum payments (I think he has).

E: Basically, that is a lot of money to gamble with for $1300 when he intends to get rid of the car next April and with his history.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Wandering Knitter posted:

I might be wrong, but isn't being a vegetarian sort of expensive? Assuming you mean "Still eating healthy" and not "Pasta and potato chips!" vegetarian.

I eat on a quarter of the budget by myself that omnivorous husband and I do, now that we're back in the states. I don't know about canada and prices.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

You can save a lot of money if you just don't gently caress around with all that dumb fake pasta and fake bread stuff, celiacs is like a gift from nature liberating you from all the gross processed crap that you aren't supposed to eat anyway. :colbert:

It's not fake bread or fake pasta? It's just made from a different source. It's not like we're talking about soy "meat" for vegetarians.

quote:

I meant going from frozen veggies and meat every day to frozen veggies and beans and rice every day. Maybe replacing the rice with something with fewer calories. Meat is absolutely the most expensive category of food that I buy, and I go with bulk stuff from Costco.

White long grain rice, cooked, has like 200 calories or so for a cup. :confused:

quote:

Edit: Last night my uncle died. :( I'll be going back to Halifax this weekend for the funeral.

I'm going to try to be as kind as possible about this. You do not have the money to go that far, especially after your random $750 vacation. I missed my grandmother's funeral because it wasn't possible to get there. Either you're going to have to tighten your belt even harder than you are this month to go, or you're going to have to not go and sacrifice it. This is probably going to screw you on gas money, whatever you're expected to bring for the funeral, etc, etc.

So uh, really, you need to take a step back and realize you literally can't even afford to go to a family funeral and instead you decided to run off and take a vacation. Condolences and all, but this is a perfect example of why the way you spend is such a bad thing, man. I realize you've said you realize the vacation is a bad idea too, but I want to draw this comparison to make it even more obvious and hopefully drive it home a little more, you know?

I really am sorry about your uncle. :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tuyop, try peanut butter toast for filler. Or boil a shitload of eggs and eat them when you're hungry. Protein makes your guts sulk less.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dusseldorf posted:

Great, you're literally starving.

Yeah, this. Here, have a thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442278 (has this already been linked? I can't remember)

And for the love of god, if it keeps you off the road for any period of time and it's cheaper than where you're living now, I'm tempted to say take it as long as you aren't walking into a poo poo situation.

E: VVV Why won't you listen to us, why are you trying to starve to death, why, why why? :psyduck:

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 11, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

Yeah I've got "major depressive disorder". It's mostly being managed by medication.

And it's very hard not having exercise and fitness as a hobby anymore. My back is not better, it hurts constantly. I have to settle with the fact that this is just a reality of my life. It's not a big deal, I have lots of other interests I guess.

Are there other kinds of exercise you can do? Could you join a spin class or something? Like stationary cycling?

E: Also, you're still covered by military medical, right? Go see a therapist.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Speaking of depression issues and stuff, did you talk to your girlfriend about that giant wall of military relationship poo poo I posted a while back? How did that go?

And for once I won't even shake my head at you. You had $3k in the bank and you only spent half of it on repairs. At least you had it in your emergency fund and for that, I am happy for you.

E: Or I think that's what I read, yes?

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 11, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

Yeah I was going to budget 600 including tux rental, now I don't know.

Does Canada hand out military discounts like candy, like the US does? It may be worth looking into since (in the US anyway) it can save you a pretty hefty amount on all poo poo travel-related.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

Ive been thinking of purchasing a used motor home as well. A class B van one with washroom and kitchen is like 25k. Then I would never need to pay rent again!

Edit: and the problem is that any day now I'll get news about my situation and have a real address so I can't tell anyone where I'm going to be staying until like 3pm that day.

Even class B motorhomes cost a good bit in upkeep, especially with your track record regarding transportation. And you really don't need to get in debt for another $25k right now, even if you're living in it. Plus, yes, you would have to pay rent. You'd have to pay lot rent wherever you parked it unless you have really awesome people that are going to let you use their electric/gas/sewer for all your needs. I think you're in Manitoba now? Glancing at http://www.campingmanitoba.com/camping-rates.html 30 consecutive nights is $800. On top of the payment for a motorhome, surely you can find a better place to rent no matter where you end up.

Unless you're kidding. I hope you're kidding. I'm surprised that they aren't willing to put you up in the base hotel considering this is a giant paperwork error, or that there's not some sort of repayment policy for having to stay at the hotel (there is for us). Unless there is and I misunderstood and for some reason you're choosing to couch surf rather than just be out the minimal fee and get it repaid in full? If it's all out of pocket, that's pretty lovely. :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

Other than that, my wipers will wear out soon and I should be considering a coolant flush and other fluid work soonish. I'm not too concerned about those things.

Not too concerned as in, you're going to put it off? Or not too concerned as in, it won't cost much? Because if it's the former, I just. You're about to be in a snowy arctic hellzone from the way you describe it. Your car needs to be in fantastic shape. If it's the latter, if you don't know how to do the wipers/some of the fluids, I bet AI would be happy to tell you and you might even be able to save a little more in doing the easier stuff by yourself. Assuming you don't have any leaks going on anyway. And I'm agreeing with pretty much everybody about biking. Wait for spring.

Have you had a computer diagnostic run on the car to make sure nothing's screwing up internally? Down here in the states you can breeze past an O'Reilly's or an Autozone and they'll plug you in and see if your car tosses out any codes (and look them up for you if it does) all for free. It might be worth looking around and seeing if anyone does that up there. If something is going wrong (and I'm not saying it is, but you never know) well, preventative work is often less than "oh god my car died" work. Your car has about 20k more miles on it than my husband's car (and 9k less than mine) and I check them every so often just to make sure there's nothing up that hasn't popped a light on.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

So what is a... Natural way (that insurance would pay for) for a car to be completely destroyed aside from driving it 60 000 km a year for a few years?

With your historical luck, just keep driving it. Though, again, with your luck I wouldn't threaten any piece of machinery. :ohdear: It might take the initiative.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

Wait, do people buy straight, normal person erotica?

You just implied gay people aren't normal. Stuff like that in your porn is going to make people return your books. And it's incredibly likely that you didn't even mean it to come out that way.

Tuyop, there is a general state of thought from the porn thread that is literally in this same subforum that you should probably follow. Write what turns you on/what you can relate to. You don't have to write a story about gaywolves. Some of the top earners in that thread write about other stuff.

I don't even write the stuff and I follow the thread because it's just so damned interesting to see how things go for them from month to month. If you really want to write porn, I can't suggest talking to them about it enough.

tuyop posted:

Edit: Toeshoes and I are also helping a friend build a 65-square-foot aquaponics farm in his condo. It looks like he can expect a net income of > $515/m2 per year by growing BASIL of all things. We still have that extra bedroom, which has about 125 square feet of possible flat aquaponics growing space...

Get flood insurance right now.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

zeta taskforce posted:

I ran the idea through my head at one point and decided against it. You are right though in how elegant the concept is, but it only works well in the tropics where there is no need for an external heat source and the sun is always high in the sky. Also when they are doing it on a big enough scale where they can harvest the fish. Where there is freezing temps and you have to bring it in, then you have to pay money for heat and you lose the sun.

Also, remember this is an apartment. What if your cabinets start to warp, what if black mold grows? Isn't your landlord in the mob? If not, he probably knows someone who is.

What could possibly go wrong?

Sincere question for anybody who knows. When this goes terribly wrong, would flood insurance cover anything at all? Or would that be renter's insurance?

Tuyop, it's nitrites and nitrates. And are you talking about minnows like, fishing minnows? Because without proper filtration and care, they're going to die really fast.

Nether Postlude posted:

Yeah have you guys figured out how you'll deal with that/clean the tank? Man, the fish thing is a super bad idea. You are taking a simple concept and making it needlessly complex.

The fish theoretically supply the nutrients for the plants. Remember the old betta fish vases? The fish poo poo supposedly gave the plant nutrients and the fish lived off the roots of the planet. Basically he wants to use basil instead of peace lilies. It's still a really bad idea and it probably won't work well, kinda like those vases, because there's a lot to it.

If you guys want herbs, I agree that a window box is a great idea. Heck, you can probably get the supplies now on clearance and wait until spring to pick up the seeds for the basil.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nah, it'll be this: http://www.amazon.com/Polo-Ralph-Lauren-Purple-Cashmere/dp/B0044PPDDQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1353450110&sr=1-2&keywords=robe+men

Italy Green. You know what's green in Italy? Basil.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

El_Elegante posted:

Cool. Did you get it in writing?

I'm sure he did! He-

tuyop posted:

No, I didn't.

:eng99: You really should have gotten it in writing. I don't know if you'd need it notarized or what you'd need to have it hold up in Canadian court, but man I wouldn't trust a potentially very large sum to that big of a chance.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

Just didn't happen this time. Toeshoes has been angry about our lack of eating and working surface for months, so she gave me some time to find something on kijiji. That didn't work so we bought the stuff from Ikea.

Edit: for what it's worth, I can tell that I'm kind of in a bit of a manic state. I've been finding it hard to concentrate at work, I have no appetite, I don't feel like I need sleep, and I didn't feel totally awful about spending money in ikea. But we did get like, the ten dollar chairs instead of the 30 dollar chairs, for instance. Lots of justifications!

Why did you guys go to Ikea rather than a thrift store or a walmart or whatever? And surely there's rummage sales up there.

E: I'm not saying not to have bought something to eat off of and work on, either, but I'm under the impression that Ikea is a lot of money for the brand name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

tuyop posted:

Guys, I'm really not in a manic phase right now.

You're talking about composting your poo poo, man. And while I believe you mentioned something briefly about a septic problem, this is a terrible idea and you're practically waltzing with your shitbucket. You may not think you're manic, or hey, there's even a chance you really aren't manic right now, but drat dude. You sound it.

• Locked thread