Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

tuyop posted:

So what should I do about a mattress? I can probably afford a 700 dollar one out of pocket, but I'll be very broke for the next couple of weeks. I kind of see three options:

Do mattresses really cost that much more in Canada? I may have different expectations, but I'm still on the same $200 Ikea queen-size mattress that I had in college, and I sleep fine. I don't know if bedbugs are an issue where you are, but I would avoid used mattresses for sure.

I think the air mattress is a great idea for where you are. You can transport it with you when you're living in your car again when things go wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Baloogan posted:

Is that 1600 every two weeks?

No, $1600 ever. That's the single lump sum payment.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I'm half expecting a picture of a circus bicycle designed to be ridden by a bear. 66cm is gigantic.

I really like the idea of selling the enormous clown bike and picking up a cheaper bike that is closer to fitting. Selling the car is a little bit crazy, at least this thing should be reliable because of how new it is and how many repairs you've done, and it will be undervalued if you sell because of the mileage.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

tuyop posted:

Fair warning, guys. I'm buying a laptop soon.

And you guys aren't going to like it.

I really hope you're joking with us. Macs have a time and a place, but anything a Macbook Air can do a cheapo netbook can do just as well at less than half the cost. It's just clunkier to carry around and slower, but you wouldn't get a MBA to do heavy processor lifting anyway. Macs have much less of a price premium than they used to, but Macs and high-end Thinkpads are premium computers for people with extreme needs or extra money to spend.

I have a Lenovo X120e that isn't much heavier than that Macbook, cost $400 new 2 years ago, and does everything I expect a non-desktop to do.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

tuyop posted:

Ok that laptop is just hideous.

I like how Thinkpads look. If I had spent twice as much money, I would have gotten a T420. Back on subject, what changed in your life that you need a new ultraportable laptop?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

tuyop posted:

Well, you can own many crappy items, or a few excellent items.

We have a laptop thread that can help you choose a laptop, and there are things like the Thinkpad X230 that can be found as low as $650 for a Core i5 ultraportable under 3 lbs weight. You don't even have to get a Thinkpad, I just believe that they are excellent computers that stand up to severe wear and tear well. Yes, they all look like that.

You may well have a need for a laptop, and even an extremely portable laptop with the hardware specs to last 5 years, but it's not 2008 anymore and you can have that for under $800 easily.

Edit: I don't mean to say "go for it and get an $800 laptop", I think you should look at your budget and decide if you can afford a nice midrange laptop or need to settle for a used netbook or tupperware Dell, which would still last the 4 years you need it to.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

tuyop posted:

You too, guys!

Goals: Pay off car. Go hog wild.

The car loan will be paid off when I get paid around the 21st.

That car has been your albatross, congratulations! Are you going to keep updating us even after your debt is gone?

• Locked thread