Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
Really? Now you're considering using a bucket as a toilet? Grow the gently caress up! For fucks sake, stop making stupid decisions! That's why you're even in this mess. Do you know why we have indoor plumbing, or really any of the convenient things that you think people don't "need to use"? It's because a life without them is terrible! Just focus on not setting fire to all of your money. When you're fiscally responsible, then by all means do all this hosed up poo poo. But until then, stop doing and/or thinking about doing stupid things!

I'm going to give you the best life advice I can think of for you: grow the gently caress up and stop thinking about living in a tent growing basil living in a yurt making GBS threads in a bucket! If you really can't do that, start talking to your therapist more, or find another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
Dear tuyop,

It has come to my attention that you need to seriously think about what I said. Most adults would simply consider my advice (which I admit is harshly worded, but for great reason: you have a thick skull) and reflect upon the decisions that have brought them to their respective points in life. Instead of doing this, you try to escape your situation through denial, and wish to have everything in your life change without truly making commitments about being more responsible. I don't expect you to change over night, I don't expect you to be a perfect human being, but I do expect you to stop being so immature. Do yourself a favor and grow up, because from reading this thread, all you want is enabling. You keep saying you want advice, but what you really want is someone to wipe your rear end with precious baby wipes and say "No tuyop, you're doing everything right, and the world just hurts you for fun. Poor baby". No sane adult will tell you that, because it's not true. YOU need to make changes in your life to be better off financially. YOU need to consider what others say, and not just deem your own opinions correct. I'm not telling you to give up on your dreams, I'm telling you to be an adult. I'm not telling you to never build a poo poo-bucket (I lied; don't do it!), I'm telling you to put your stupid ideas on hold until you have a better hold on your life.
You need to seriously think about what I said.

YNTSTAWIS,
haplesscardsharp

P.S. Admit to your mistakes, don't just make excuses.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

80k posted:

I actually read the reviews on the humanure book and actually think it is pretty cool. Not sure why people are getting on his case over something that is his own personal interests and is not going to ruin his finances.

I'm not getting on his case for just this, I'm getting on his case for everything. At some point, if he never changes, he'll eventually just get back into his terrible habits. I can stop water from coming out of my faucet by putting my finger in it, but that doesn't mean I fixed it.

Fraternite posted:

Because in these threads it's not about money, or even about the poster. It's about making GBS threads over someone asking for help and feeling better about oneself. People confuse this place with E/N, and for some reason we tolerate it.

Cornholio had the same bullshit about his car fetish almost derail his reform, too.

Why can't fixing his bad habit of making choices without thinking about the consequences and researching them (it is not research when you only look for things that are going to tell you your idea is good) help make him better financially?

haplesscardsharp fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 1, 2013

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

Nippashish posted:

I too feel that buying a book on amazon with a free gift card is a huge mistake, and doing so shows a critical lack of judgement from tuyop.

Again, it's not just the newest idea that's upsetting. He constantly has bad ideas, and without this thread, I feel like he would be living in a tent growing basil and making GBS threads over said basil to make it grow better. He needs to learn how to research whether his ideas are good or not by himself, he can't just use this forum as a substitute for good decision making. He's doing a good job, but he still needs to tackle his impulse, because it's the thing that hosed him in the first place. I'm rooting for him, I really am, but I know if he solves his financial problem without solving his impulsive problem, he'll eventually end up in the same place. Trust me, part of being responsible financially is being responsible in the rest of life's categories.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

tuyop posted:

One of the things that's a little scary for me is the fact that, at the end of May, toeshoes and I will be separated again because she'll be posted and I'll go back to New Brunswick until (and if) they can find me a job at her new base. That could be really dangerous for me.

It's good that you're concerned, but don't let it overwhelm you. You should form a (few) game plan(s) for what happens, for when it happens.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
Tuyop, it's not nice (or wise) to try to trick people who want to help you. Did your inheritance actually come or was that also a dirty lie?

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

tuyop posted:

No, but I did get in contact with the lawyer and it's all in order, so it should get here via registered mail in the next two weeks, my 25th birthday is on Sunday. I'm very upset about this because I'm another year older and still have a loving dead-end career. But whatever.

Every career eventually becomes a dead-end career. Don't worry about it; a job isn't your life, it's the thing that enables you to live your life.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
Keep the car. You take a huge risk buying a used car, and can end up in a worse situation. My advice if you don't sell the car: You're pretty lucky to have low interest on all three loans. Since you're already upside-down, make a decent payment towards your car (because 1. You're keeping it, and 2. You expect it to last for a while: so it's alright to be upside-down for a period of time) and student loan, but don't focus on them; put most of your effort getting the Visa taken care of, and then turn your attention to the student loan. Once you eventually rid yourself of the two other debts, you can go full force at your car loan.

Make sure you have good maintenance and insurance for the car, and don't crash it. If you have insurance that covers what you owe on the loan in addition to your car's actual value (I believe it's called gap insurance), then you have a better chance of not being hosed when you get into an accident, so I suggest getting that if you can.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

tuyop posted:

That's just the way YNAB deals with things, the "funds" - except for wedding which is in an ING account - are really just dollars sitting in my chequing account that have been earmarked for irregular expenses.

The clothes category is for toeshoes, girl needs some new intimates. I have more than enough clothes to get through the next year or so. I'll have to save up for some professional wear, since I'm not sure how my wardrobe in storage fits anymore. Not a concern right now.

Edit: and Pre-YNAB debt doesn't include my car loan. I keep it on-budget because of the way I get charged interest from it.

Are you subtly trying to say she needs new underwear/lingerie? Because when you when you spend +$100 on three pairs of underwear, you are not allowed to start critiquing anyone else's wardrobe.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
I don't think the universe will be happy until you are a quadriplegic, completely immobile and unable to crash into things. Because you're it's pretty hellbent on destroying all modes of transportation that you use.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

tuyop posted:

The 3/5 that I took in winter may get funded, so I'm out: $419

And these classes are the mandatory part of a certificate that qualifies me to teach college classes. But until I get the electives or find a job teaching college part time, it was a waste of 419 dollars. :suicide:

You are very much wrong about that. It wasn't a waste of $419, those classes taught you (or should have taught you) to get it in writing.
And I know I'm being a dick, and it sucks that you aren't in the best of positions, but seriously, don't just ignore this: learn from your mistakes.
As an aside, I also find it hilarious that out of all the education you were given/paid for, the best return on investment was :10bux:

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

tuyop posted:

Fair warning, guys. I'm buying a laptop soon.

And you guys aren't going to like it.

This is a stupid idea. I don't even recommend apple products to people who can afford them, and you can't. There are many things about both Apple's products and policies that make them terrible, but this is about you and not about computers, so I'll stay more on general terms for buying items.

You probably don't need a laptop. Even if you do need a laptop, you don't need an expensive one. Whenever you want to buy something, replace laptop with the item you want and repeat the first two sentences of this paragraph to yourself. It's time for you to change your spending habits. I'm not even going to bother beating around the bush, you NEED to change your spending habits. When you buy things, I've seen you do two things: you buy things you don't need, and you manage to buy an expensive variant of the item you buy. Stop doing this, it's poor money management. I'd bet a fiddle of gold that your situation is caused by poor money management, and if you don't get better at managing your money, even if you get rid of the debt you have now, you'll eventually land right back in the same place. Please do not make an excuse and expect that to act as a get-out-of-jail-free card, just accept my advice, and start listening to the thread.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
My prediction:
"But it's not made by apple. What will all the boys and girls at recess think when I don't have a Macbook." -Tuyop

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
Tuyop, you're doing great. I want you to know that what I am about to say is not intended to hurt your feelings, and from what I've said in the past, I'm pretty sure you don't listen to me, but I have some advice for you.

Stop rejecting people's advice based on "oh, you're not me, woe is me, blah blah I had to suck thirty two dicks today to live in my tent and poo poo in my bucket." or any other type of argument; sometimes just having an outside perspective is better than having one from within (as a simplified (and sort of terrible example, financial advisers are usually better financial advisers than people who have no money). It's petty and childish, although considering you might be teaching high school students, make you king of high school.

Another issue I would like to address is the joking and fun-having that I see you and toeshoes doing. Stop trying to troll the people helping you, if you don't see why this is wrong, try looking up the moral of The Boy who Cried Wolf. Jokes are for fun time, not for "oh poo poo, my back is hosed up, I have a lot of debt, and my spouse is currently eating pizza and buying lamps while I'm sitting on my poo poo bucket that doesn't have baby wipes and chocolate covered laptops" time.

Do not reply with "well, show me how I recently did 'x'" (where 'x' = a criticism), because I'm not calling you out on anything, I'm trying to make you aware of behaviors that only screw you over. This is advice, I'm not calling you a piece of poo poo, I'm telling you how to act like an adult. Yes, I might crack the occasional joke, but that's because I'm not in the position where I am asking for help. I'm not mad at you, I'm just trying to improve your behavior so once you are debt free, you don't simply get right back on the basil covered poo poo wagon bucket. Please overlook the childish humor in my argument, it's just how I roll.

haplesscardsharp fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 12, 2013

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

ToeShoes posted:

Thanks Dad.

But seriously, we do appreciate the advice people give us, not this advice though.

Thank you for proving my point. Although, technically, you aren't tuyop, so I can't be mad at your response. However, I can be incredibly disappointed in you.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
Edit: In simple terms consider the advice you are given.
There, no fluff, no crude terms, no philosophic concepts, just straight up what I meant.

haplesscardsharp fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 12, 2013

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
I am sorry tuyop, I should not have responded in that way, it was very rude.
I am sorry toeshoes, I forget sometimes that you are not tuyop, and should address you as your own seperate entity.

Edited because I was being an rear end in a top hat.

haplesscardsharp fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 12, 2013

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

tuyop posted:

Uh, does this mean that I can relax about the reeducation thing? I don't have to pay for this year's school?

IF you don't get screwed again, you're good for school this year. :woop: Great news. While you shouldn't have to worry about getting screwed on this, I would suggest taking more about this with a college counselor if you could, because I have basically no knowledge of Canadian financial aid/government aid.

ToeShoes posted:

I just always thought it was an autocorrect thing, but recently I've been thinking people might just think my name is Twoshoes now.

I just realized I have been spelling your name wrong, I guess my brain just automatically thinks twoshoes (as in goody two-shoes), and I've never noticed it.

haplesscardsharp fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 12, 2013

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

Higgy posted:

And that he doesn't accidentally back the entire university into a lake. I'm rooting for you dude, keep up the path you've started down and you could be debt free soon!

It's too bad he can't just back his debt into a lake. :smuggo:

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

tuyop posted:

After paying off the student loan we'll have about $3000 in cash, but we'll also have access to about 30k in credit in case of some kind of horrible catastrophe.

Or in case we need a vacation. That last sentence is a joke FYI.

That's great news, and while relying on credit in an emergency is something you wouldn't want to do, it's pretty clear you understand that credit isn't an emergency fund or a vacation pay it forward, it's a "we might starve/lose our house" loan.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
I'm not sure if we've discussed credit cards or not, but the real problem with them is that some people don't really seem to know how they work, and how to be responsible with them. I used to work at Walmart, you would not believe the debt one could accumulate there. People seem to forget (or just don't know) that they're basically unsecured loans, and pretty lovely ones at that. Like any type of loan, if it's possible to not take out a loan, you should avoid taking one out, because instant gratification is not a reason to go into debt. Basically, as most people suck at managing their money, they will have horrible credit, which leads to higher interest rates, which when they make a mistake, will end up costing them money, all for the benefit of not having to wait a few months for a new T.V.

tldr: Banks (and loansharks) are counting on you to gently caress up, so avoid going into debt when possible, except in cases of buying a house or a car (but if you can, it's better to pay for the car in full) should you be stuck without transportation.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
What I was trying to say is that a lot of people do not use them responsibly, instead choosing to buy things they do not need instead of budgeting and saving up for their large purchases, or at least my perspective has been colored from working my lovely job. They are great, don't get me wrong.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

I didn't really mean it as they are evil, just more a reminder that those companies aren't in business to help you, they're in it to make money.

tuyop posted:

I mean credit in general, particularly lines of credit, not credit cards.

The idea is that saving up for something is a better than just using a credit card, building up credit is fine, but some people treat it too recklessly. If you can control it, go for it, but I wouldn't recommend using credit cards for people currently in debt, because that's just adding more debt to the pile. I'd put a huge wall of text about how it's okay for cars, and great for education and houses, but it's rather self-explanatory, as they are long-term investments.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

tuyop posted:

Just some of the things a young man has to do to pay off his student loans.

So finally got that webcam show going.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
Tuyop, people who buy macs are just people too lazy to learn how to use windows or linux. Sure, they're great if you want to waste an extra five hundred dollars so every hipster jerks you off whenever you go to Starbucks, but I can guarantee you they aren't worth what Apple charges for them. Especially since you don't have as much control over it if you just got a dell or an acer. Splurging every once in a while isn't a problem, but you seem to do it too often, especially since you are in debt. You've made so much progress, please don't stop now.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
Tuyop, I've been following this thread for maybe eight months or more, I'm not new to the thread. I know all too well that you won't listen to what I have to say out of spite. Despite this fact, I'm still going to try and help you.

I'll keep it simple: Stop acting like you don't have debt. Stop acting like you don't have responsibilities. Stop trying to justify stupid things that you can't possibly justify.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
While I think being (temporarily) unhappy and debt free would be better than being happy and burried under a pile of IOUs, I'd much prefer it if you were both happy and debt free, and a key to this is being comfortable with what you have. Try thinking more about what is important in your life, what you truly want from life, and what you already have. It's a good way I can control my own spending habbits, because I think more along the lines of what I have and want out of my life, and less time thinking about what random products I want.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

tuyop posted:

And I understand that this all sounds like justification from a shopping addict or something to you guys, but consider that we live in tiny apartments and don't spend most of our income and have had roommates.

Because it is.

tuyop posted:

You can only buy so much stuff that you don't need in situations like ours.

This is so wrong that I'm having difficulty creating a lovely hyperbolic response to it.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
"I don't care what's a good decision or a better product, I just want what I want without thinking."
(I know it's paraphrased, but that's what you're saying.)

Another problem you seem to have is that you're incapable of weighing the immediate consequences with the future consequences. Next time you want something, I want you to take three days and write up a list of positives and negatives of buying said thing and post it, because you need to get used to thinking and not just acting. Hell, even just take one day to make the list.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

HooKars posted:

How pissed are you going to be when you go to buy it and its out of stock? :)

MacBook Air doesn't have that problem

But MacBook Airs have more than enough problems to compensate for not ever being sold out.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
Tuyop, may I suggest fleeing the country and heading to Canada?

Oh wait...

Fake-edit: We just want what's best for you; nobody (or at least I hope nobody) wants you to be unhappy (myself included).

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

April posted:

Ok then, why don't you have a category called "Tuyop's Toys" and budget a little towards it every month?

Because it would probably be larger than all the other categories put together.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
Are you actually going to be hurting anyone by doing this? I need you to think about that. It is difference between you being an honorable person and a person that can (and should) go gently caress themselves thoroughly with a rusty pineapple. For now, I'll just assume (because it's you) that it is a matter of pride. You've got a family now, put away your pride and try to claim the benefits. You need to stop stroking your no-jokes large ego, because it's not just you anymore.

Here is a quick cheat-sheet:

Is this going to have actual consequences?
Yes, decline it.
No, accept it.

If you are confused as to what actual consequences are I will gladly go into detail, but I've learned that you generally just ignore what I say, so I try not to waste as much time typing as I usually would.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

tuyop posted:

It's like this:

In the Canadian Forces, when you're attached posted, you get X benefits. In my case, I was attached posted, but did not receive any benefits. The decision was to allow the attached posting on the condition that I not claim the benefits. That decision isn't backed up by any reference. The X in my case equals about $18000.

The major (only?) cost would be that I'd feel like I was betraying all the people down the line who helped me when I really needed it by bending the rules and exposing themselves to exactly this kind of risk. It won't cost THEM 18k, but it will reach them somehow because they made a decision that cost their unit that much money.

And yeah, I'm not willing to do that. If I wanted money and didn't care about morality I'd just go into finance or something.

Glad you gave some more clarification: in this case, don't take it.

Cicero posted:

It's important to like who you are.
It's also important to take care of your family, and in situations where it's just a matter of pride, any sensible person will swallow it for their family. However, this doesn't seem to be the case for tuyop, so it's fine to decline the benefits.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

tuyop posted:

* Assume, just for a moment, that a person can buy a large thing once and then not buy another large thing again for awhile.

Yes it's possible to do this, but your previous actions suggests that you aren't the kind of person who can do that.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
Do you remember that car you bought, the one that ended up costing more than it was worth? Guess what, you're doing the same thing. Luxuries aren't necessary, and they aren't worth the costs associated with them. So stop buying luxuries; stop thinking about them all the time, too. Read more, go for walks, whatever helps you take your mind off of wanting all this pointless poo poo.

tuyop posted:

The max is 5 and you need to request permission to take more than 6.

I spoke to my adviser about this and pointed out that, in the fourth year of my BA, I took 8 courses the first semester, 9 the second, wrote a thesis, worked three jobs and had a 3.87 GPA. Edit: And I had at least 7 courses every year after first. He took a look at my transcripts again and I got my approval from the Dean a little while later.

You also managed to gently caress up badly by going into a large amount of debt. Take less classes, you'll be less stressed, and therefore less likely to give into impulse.

Edit 2: I'm really not saying this to make you feel bad. I'm saying this so you think more about what went wrong, and think about how you can try to avoid debt in the future. It' hard to do, but it's worth it.

haplesscardsharp fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 8, 2013

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

bam thwok posted:

I think giving Tuyop advice on how rigorous he should make his schedule is pretty off base. If he says he can do it, great. This is BFC, not life coaching or academic advising. If getting his credits done in a certain period of time is a condition for tuition payments, then what more is there to talk about? Yeah it might suck, but :college:

Stress can actually have a lot of effects on people (and can be a reason why people either regress or impulse buy), so it's kind of relevant. So avoiding stressful situations would probably be a good idea. It's not irrelevant, it's indirect finance advice, but since it isn't direct, I'll shut up about it from now on.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
You have been dealt a very generous hand, so please don't gently caress it up by not planning with regards to class availability. I have a suggestion about your electronic predicament: don't get the iTouch yet; learn to live without one first, and then you can reward yourself by getting one. Having your whole life in a tiny little object is nice, but if you get too reliant on it, you're completely hosed the second you lose it or all your data gets lost.

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'

tuyop posted:

Man, there's so much redundancy and cloud backing up built into my poo poo, "lost data" would basically mean a nuclear apocalypse or other global catastrophe. Also, I already bought the thing. It's great.

With all the ways life fucks you over, I have no idea how you remain this confident in anything, but I'm impressed with your optimism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haplesscardsharp
Sep 6, 2012

Keep On Truckin'
How many credits are you taking? Because based on my college experience, 9-5 would be like 8 hours of class, equivalent to eight credits, which going four days a week would put you at about thirty-two-ish. Which would get you a degree in two years. I don't know if you really need to take summer courses if you're covered for two years, but if you do you might get done in only 1.5 years. So are you taking the equivilent of 7 four-five credit courses?

• Locked thread