Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

tuyop posted:

Basically, you guys are saying that I can't possibly afford my life as it is, but my friends, coworkers, parents, pretty much everyone, seem way less alarmed when I tell them the numbers.
The difference is that a lot of people giving you advice here have no debt while the average person is in massive debt just like you. Also a lot of people are in relationships and therefore have two incomes. Just because a lot of people maintain a balance on their credit card at 30% and don't worry about it doesn't mean that it isn't a terrible idea.

Please don't ever finance anything ever again. You are a sucker and should not trust yourself with credit of any sort. 48 month financed laptop? Financed 30k car with 0 down? Expensive smart phone on a contract for almost $100/month when you're in debt? These are all absolutely terrible financial decisions.

If you're lucky you can get someone to co-sign a loan and use that money to pay off your >15% credit card debt.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I've been poor most of my life. You are also poor at this point. When poor people want to go on vacation they spend $100 and go camping. They don't spend $10,000 on credit to fly to another continent.

You are seriously living outside of your means. A trick i used was to think how much time i would have to work to buy something. So was a $30 item worth four hours of my time? Generally no.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 31, 2011

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If you want to go surfing why don't you take a bus to the coast and just camp and surf? It would cost like nothing for a week.

Psycho Crusher posted:

You guys seem way vigilant about car loans. Do you all pay cash for your cars?
Well when you finance a car you can splurge for a new car with extras and super high financing rates because your credit sucks. Or you can get a pre-owned car on 0% financing or talk down the price and then spring cash on them. If they don't like it then walk out, car dealerships are a dime a dozen - there's no reason to take it in the rear end from them.

Rich people have the luxury of walking in to a store and buying something they like at face value with zero negotiation. Although that's actually just a made-for-tv stereotype as it's normally poor people that do this.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Aug 20, 2011

• Locked thread