Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
It's so easy to poo poo on tuyop for the one-off events but that graph doesn't lie: debt is getting paid. Keep truckin' man! You and toeshoes can do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Countdown until tuyop's marijuana operation gets busted.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
You see, he was injured so badly that his only options are biking 16 miles to work while farming and building a house by hand.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The biggest spending addict in BFC is going to join a commune and live a minimalist lifestyle. We rag on you tuyop, but I really will be thrilled if you pull this off.

In the short term, keep focused on that budget and when you meet the relative that sprung the "your share of a breast pump" idea, give him/her a good swift kick in the pants.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

tuyop posted:

One thing we would really like to do is set up an RESP or some kind of savings vehicle for our new niece.

No.

tuyop posted:

microwaves are usually 40 bucks around here used, which is the same for food processors and electric mixers and griddles and other fancy extravagant food gadgets.

There are plenty of $25 and under microwaves on that site. How much is a carton of cigarettes?
http://barrie.kijiji.ca/f-microwave-buy-and-sell-home-appliances-microwaves-cookers-W0QQCatIdZ694QQKeywordZmicrowave

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Exercise is certainly not an investment. As your physical condition improves, your expected gubmint disability payout shrinks.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

tuyop posted:

The bicycle is a wonderful tool for minimizing expenses. We plan on moving to a place very close to work when toeshoes gets posted. Like, <10km away, and biking as much as possible. Ideally we would avoid having a car after April until we're debt free.

So what car are you planning to buy next October when the snow is about to fall?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
What crazy emergency are you foreseeing that $2000 won't cover? The six month fund is for after you're debt free.

edit: MMM'S advice is loaded with risk, and in some instances just wrong. You are not losing a HUGE mount of money by keeping a cash emergency fund.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 2, 2013

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Three months interest is peanuts. Tuyop's issue stems from his "I turn to debt when I need something" mentality, and "need something" could mean any self-created emergency. I don't see why we're having this discussion again when the only thing that changed was an unexpected cash surplus. If your plan is constantly changing as your income varies, it's a bad plan.

Tuyop: Keep the emergency funds at $1000 apiece, put the rest towards debt, repeat month after month until you're not a fuckup anymore.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Did you really pay off $12,000 on your triangle visa in one month or is that an error?

edit: ahhh that makes sense. I've actually been reading the thread and I totally missed that.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 15, 2013

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I'm normally completely opposed to leasing but CornHolio did a total cost analysis and determined that it fit his budget and needs. He posted such a thorough, well researched justification for it that even I said "Meh, OK." He did this after he had gotten out of debt and built an emergency fund, so he was in a position to make some extra expenditures for the sake of comfort and convenience.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Did you try this once before or was there another goon who was reselling workout powders to soldiers on his base at one point? This sounds very familiar.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Along the same lines as the powders, the military may not consider camwhoring the best use of an officer's talents. Gentlemen and all.

tuyop posted:

Also, I will be ordering a luchador mask before doing and camwhoring, so my identity will be safe!

Well then shine on, you glorious bastard.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 23, 2013

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Tuyup, I'm a big fan of what you're doing and your graphs show some great progress. I personally had a lot of the deprive/indulge behavior that you posted about too. One of the things that kept me in that pattern was the expectation of some anticipated windfall that would solve all my issues. Raises, new jobs, and inheritances all have ways of magically not happening. Working towards a better future is good but nobody should rely on a fat paycheck that is still years away. Please consider planning for more than one possible scenario.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I took a break from SA 2 months ago and hopped back into this thread at the perfect moment. That update rules and you rule.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
How much money in interest is this going to save vs. paying $2000/month towards the car loan?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I mean if you're only 5-6 months away from paying off the car, why change strategies now?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

tuyop posted:

Yeah I think this minor disqualifies me for any academic awards because I suck at it. I hope that doesn't make it much harder to find a job.

It disqualifies you because you became disabled while serving your country in the military? Sounds like a job for a local news agency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Baller.

• Locked thread