Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

quote:

I'll spend my goddamn money however I goddamn want.
I like imagining this being said in Meatwad's voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Advising her to buy a cheaper car is fine as long as you do it in a "Don't be dumb like me and make the same huge mistake I did" sort of fashion.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Run a mile < 6 minutes while smoking.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Ikea has mattresses for very cheap, I think our queen-sized mattress was around $150-200 (+ the bed frame and slat was around $400 total).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I think when you said

quote:

Between exercise, biking to work, and a part-time job
people assumed you had no full-time job.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I think yurts are pretty cool too but I think they're probably cooler in my head than they'd be to actually live in.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

quote:

buy a knife from a local blacksmith
Ahahaha. This owns.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

My wife and I spent < $3000 on our wedding (not counting flying her brother out from Germany), it's definitely possible to do cheap if you don't get sucked into the mindset of "weddings have to be like this because that's what I saw on some TV show". Take advantage of family or community resources (sounds like you're doing this already); for our reception, we used a field that's part of our church's property for free, and we honeymooned at an aunt's timeshare.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Sounds like something a racist would say. :colbert:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I'd suggest purchasing an Oculus Rift to handle your motility needs.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Macbook Airs are great but I thought you were relatively poor or something? You can get a laptop with comparable specs in terms of raw performance (except for SSD) but with a crappier physical design for like half the cost.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Baloogan posted:

He makes more than the average salary for Canada and has a cushy job but makes terrible decisions because he doesn't learn.
Yeah but isn't he in debt or something?

edit: According to his last graph he is indeed over $30,000 in debt. You don't get to buy fancy computers when you have that much debt, that's stupid. I thought you read MMM, tuyop? YOUR HAIR IS ON FIRE

Cicero fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 7, 2013

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

tuyop posted:

The 100k number is based on both of our gross salaries. Toeshoes makes 4425/month gross and I made 4553. My net pay is going down 200/month so I imagine that the gross is still somewhere around 4200. That's actually 107 736/year but about 10k of that is benefits that can be withdrawn at any time. So that's the picture for the next two years, most likely. I don't think most people can count on their job staying the same for any longer than that in their early to mid-twenties. :shrug:

Edit: Yet they still buy houses and have children and cars and things, so I don't really get it.
Are you sure you're the same tuyop who talks about FI and posts on the MMM boards? Because that tuyop would already know the answer: those people probably aren't saving very much, if at all, and are quite likely in a great amount of debt. Or maybe they just make way more than you (this is the least common option).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

tuyop posted:

Ok I guess we won't buy a house. :(

Is it ok to rent a nicer house for like 1200-1400 and share it with another person or two instead?
That could work out well. It could also backfire horribly, roommates are generally a tossup. The safe option is just to live in a (relatively) small space, just the two of you. Weren't you planning on living in a yurt at one point? Although honestly 1200-1400 doesn't sound like that much to rent a house to me, but then again I live in Seattle.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

If you're reaaaalllllly sure about the roommates in question being non-obnoxious and standup people, it could be worth it. Otherwise it's a big risk, they could turn out insufferable.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Macbook Airs are great computers, even for the price, if you factor in build quality, form factor, resale value, and a bunch of tertiary things that Apple tends to do better than competitors (e.g. trackpads). That said, they're definitely high-end/luxury items. You can get a competent but boring PC laptop for significantly less.

quote:

I think we can have a nicer lifestyle without spending a shitload of money, a la MMM, but it's not going to be free. Some planning, saving and soulsearching is in order.
Funny that you refer to MMM. What was it he said about Apple products again?

Mr. Money Mustache posted:

Apple Products - Unless you earn a living as an iOS/Mac developer, you may own one Apple device per person.. period. Upgrade every five years.
And that's for people whose hair isn't on fire, and yours still is. Really if it was just getting a Macbook that will last you for years, it wouldn't be a big deal. People are clearly just worried that such a purchase is indicative that you still have a bad financial mindset where you justify buying unneeded luxuries.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 18, 2013

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jeffrey posted:

^^^They are in fact substantially more expensive if you compare them apples to apples.
It really depends. The baseline models are not substantially more expensive than comparable Windows laptops. The upgrades are generally hilariously overpriced though.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

It's important to like who you are.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

iPads are awesome. They let you do lots of things in lots of places and positions, and they make doing these things pleasant. It's way more fun to use an iPad to browse the web or watch a TV show on a bed or couch than it is to use a laptop. Their portability/mobility in general is just far better than a laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I can see how that might work for history, but what about math or science? "I'm going to DANCE about polynomials!"

• Locked thread