Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

tuyop posted:

Why yes I did! Their secretary was on vacation so I won't get my "sponsorship letter" until next week, that's the thing that actually pays for the university.

I still don't trust any of this. :tinfoil:
Good work sir. I'm glad you're getting it in writing!

And I wish my spine injury had been caused by the Canadian military. Yours is worse than mine it sounds like, but mine caused me to pay for my re-education and everything else. Fuckin' American insurance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
One may think one would follow those logical suggestions on the interweb. A lot of time has been wasted in this thread with some of the crazy banter. I mean really, a poo poo bucket? I find it entertaining, but how some of it goes down.... Not so entertaining. It's hard to pick up on inflection and sarcasm via text sometimes/frequently...

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

tuyop posted:

Uh, does this mean that I can relax about the reeducation thing? I don't have to pay for this year's school?
FTW! I'm glad it came through. I definitely agree with hanging on to the loan-payment-money till the first school payments go through, and perhaps hang onto enough extra (or is your emergency fund solid enough for this? I think it is but you can confirm, or not, as you see fit) for at least one term in case they short you or something.

Higgy posted:

And that he doesn't accidentally back the entire univeristy into a lake. I'm rooting for you dude, keep up the path you've started down and you could be debt free soon!

haplesscardsharp posted:

It's too bad he can't just back his debt into a lake. :smuggo:
Literally, :newlol:

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
One thing I would like to point out in Tuyop's defense with the laptop is that he has a serious back injury and books weigh a ton. I have most my books in both digital AND paper format these days, which frequently costs me more. Why? My back can't carry 2 text books and my 6.5lb Lenovo (~$400 new, in late 2009). I often can get the digitals for free :cough: but I am someone who doesn't like reading text books digitally at all, so I need both copies. I read the paper copy, and then carry digital to reference in class. If I had to pay for all digital books, I'd either not have reference material in class, or a Ultrabook.

I've done a fair bit of research into what I need in a Ultrabook. A refurbished MBA 13" with upgraded memory and AppleCare is by far the way to go. Downside: lovely lovely low res gloss screen. Being I'm a broke student, I'm hanging onto my old rear end laptop, but I will likely get a matte screen 1080p Asus Ultrabook down the road. They can be had for $6~900 on various deal sites. I don't think they're as durable, but I freaking hate gloss screens and you all should too. And I also hate over spending when I can get a comparable computer for 2/3 or less. The Lenovo x1 Carbon's also offer matte screens but they're a lot more money, as I've never found a refurb.

Tuyop, check out passwird and similar places. If you aren't in a huge rush you can find a better Ultrabook for under a grand. Also keep in mind class10 (iirc) SDCard's are freaking fast, and a cheap way to increase storage.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
My family is very tight knit but also large. The locals get together, the distant family Skype's. Back in the day when I was a kid, they would send letters (still do that, but different now) and slide reels and speaker phone. I should mention these distant family members are quite well off and don't have kids; it just doesn't make sense to come home EVERY year. We see them every few years, and via Skype and such more often.

Your family (families) should be able to accept this, or help you pay for that trip.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Tuyop - Check this out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310723783620&item=310723783620

Yes, its expired/sold out, but its a common deal $wise and as good of a computer as a MBA. Monitor Passwird.com and save yourself a boatload. Yes, it runs Windows. Woot, Windows! $600+Whatever Canada Charges For Duty=A LOT less than a MBA. And they're really nice! Go read some reviews or talk to someone who owns one. One of our fellow Goons' boss has one of these Zenbooks. Said Goon is the most computer-critical guy ever, and even he likes it a TON. And it has a better screen than the MBA - NO GLOSS!!!1!

Did I mention its half the price of an MBA? Almost a thousand dollars less once you factor in upgrades and Applecare..

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Dusseldorf posted:

Oh, this all makes more sense now. I was thinking an MBA really would be a bad call at this venture.
He's getting his education paid for. And a salary while he does it. He probably could have picked an MBA, but he is passionate about teaching people, which is fantastic.

I do agree that $1200 is a massive lowball for either MBA! I was looking at just shy of $1300 for a refurbished MBA with only 128gb, but with apple care and no sales tax.

I get why extended warranties are dumb, but with expensive laptops I take a different position. Mostly only because I've seen so many laptops - Dell, HP, Lenovo, and Apple - fail shortly after the normal warranty. Some of those were total losses, some of those were no big deal. All depended on extended care. IMO a MBA is a 5yr asset, and thus extending your guaranteed life span of said asset at approx 10% purchase price makes a lot of sense to me. That said, *I* buy cheap used laptops as a poor student, and I could buy 6 of them for what an MBA costs. But drat, I really want an MBA. Maybe after I graduate, and build a house. Then I'll need a pair of docks and 24"s for both home and work because a 13" screen is lolsmall... $3-4k later woot!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Tuyop, how long have your past laptops lasted? Serious question. MBA's have exceptionally high build quality, and lovely laptops last 4+ years, so I imagine you can get quite a lot of use from a MBA...

I wonder if perhaps your savings and debt repayment goals are too aggressive for you. I definitely agree that you need to allocate money ahead of time for the MBA type purchases, and you do not want to touch monthly savings to do that. Perhaps you should be allocating $2700 vs $3100 a month to savings, and then the remainder into a buffer, once the buffer is X big, dump the overage into savings, or title the buffer "savings for spendy poo poo we must have" and do that. I think the principle of saving XX a month PERIOD is important. Its something I have never been good at and am working on; I often tried to save more than I really could due to my lifestyle, and I would steal from myself. Not so great!

razz posted:

That's nuts. I've gotten my full security deposit back 5 out of 5 times. I've rented from big rental companies and private homeowners.

The only time I had anything taken out of my security deposit was for was 1/4 of the cost of a carpet cleaning which ended up being like 60 bucks.
Your posts often confuse me! "Full security deposit back 5 out of 5 times" and then "only time I had anything taken out of my security deposit was"... That was basically in the same paragraph!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

cstine posted:

Wait - you're down to JUST your car loan? I was under the impression it was car loan AND student loans - that's great news.
He used a chunk of pension/severance to pay off everything else off. A monthly graph would make this so much easier to follow!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
IMO student loans are far different and worse than a mortgage. Mostly for what Tuyop just specified. I'd snowball them against other non mortgage debt, like Tuyop did. However, of all non mortgage debt, student loans are one of the only long term debt instruments I definitely see the point to. They can aid one in massively increasing earning potential. Or stress potential.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I think I'm tracking about 60 accounts in Quicken, lol! I setup YNAB a couple days ago, and have about 15, which will probably expand a bit as I keep using it. I'm going to use YNAB for budget tracking, and continue using Quicken for detailed tracking of everything. Every transaction will be in both, but things will continue to be broken down more in Quicken. I just like how Quicken does it a lot better.

Tuyop, I agree with calling your debt lump sum payment accrual something other than buffer or emergency fund. I'd call it debt payment accrual or something like that.

Btw thanks for posting all the YNAB crap over the last few months. It really pushed me to buy a copy when it came on sale this week! Two, actually, but one is sitting to be gifted. Turns out you can use it w multiple accounts on each computer, with Steam only on one account, so my gf can use it on any of my/her computers as we both have logins on them all, and she won't have to mess w steam period! Score.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Perfect explanation of what it means to live on last months pay. A lot of people get confused (I guess) when they get paid at the end of the month. How I've always thought about it (but not done it..) was pretend you don't get paid AT ALL next month (sept), do you have the required money set aside for the following months expenses (oct)? If so you're good, if not you're living paycheck to paycheck.

Tuyop, I'd still do an average of most of your budget categories. Except for fixed changed poo poo like insurance, rent, maybe utilities, etc. Or perhaps average since you guys got the most recent place this summer, so <2mo ATM?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I'm thinking you need an iPhone 5S and MBA 13" 256GB. Stat.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I'll be the first to admit I don't know a whole ton about masters programs let alone masters of education, or masters of education in Canada.

Based on how many years + credits you took for your undergrad, is it fair to assume credits are different up there? Because 2 years (6 quarters or 4 semesters) is the norm for a 78cr (quarterly based) masters program in my state, which works out to about 3.25 classes per term or 13hr a term. Undergrad in my state is roughly 180cr, which is 3.75 classes or 15hr a term. Vs 91 hours for Tuyop's masters which would put him at about 2hr a quarter more than for my masters example (MBA). Sounds reasonable.

Either or, I think Tuyop should be allowed to do his full time jobless free schooling in the timeframe he set. Mainly because if he doesn't he has to pay for it, and he has 40 hours a week minimally to work on it... Should be quite doable. Good luck!

E: Are you on semester or quarters?

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 9, 2013

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

tuyop posted:

/\/\ Yeah, this is pretty much the way it has to be.

I'm taking a Bachelor's of Education, actually. :(
Man I need to pay more attention! Either or, if your school is being paid for in full because of a particular timing retirement that makes you need to do it a little faster / higher load per term, AND you did a similar higher than avg but slightly lighter load PLUS working previously, I think you'll be fine.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

FrozenVent posted:

Both, at the same time? Have you been reading this thread?
Cards, plane ticket, and a tow driver that will only take cash to remove his rental car from the ocean after a Cuban bridge failed him. I can see it now. Be careful Tuyop.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Nocheez posted:

I literally have never had a hard drive fail, nor a USB stick die. I do regular backups just in case, but how in the hell are you having so many failures back to back? Is it the cold of :canada: ?
Ive had 3 hard drives die, out of about 20ish I'd guess - two 02-03 DeathStars and a 07-09 Seagate. And never ever a USB key, and I abuse them and poo poo. Tuyop has the worst luck ever!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Jeffrey posted:

There's a lot of really shoddy usb keys/sd cards that do shady poo poo, the ones that are good work fine but I'm not surprised that someone has had a lot of them die. Some guy aggregated a bunch of the cheap ones and found all sorts of messed up poo poo, like one that reported itself as 4 GB, and was actually only 2 GB and just gave you that 2 GB twice when you'd read from it.
Derailing Tuyop's thread: do you have a link? I wonder if it varies by brand.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
A lot of people in my business program don't have a laptop. But probably 75% does.

Anytime I've NEEDED a laptop, it would be for group projects and people would agree on who would ensure attendance and laptop bringage, tho typically multiple people always had their laptops. If I had a FULL day of class on campus, I could see doing all work off campus on your desktop, I do the majority of my research and writing/etc on my desktop, and I carry a laptop 24/7. But when I have an hour break, a laptop can be more useful than a cellphone, project/home work vs news and forums.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 13, 2013

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I didn't get that he is complaining about the broken glass or that he is replacing it now. If it works for him until next spring, perfect. If not, you should have bought the T410 i5 I just bought for $350USD. It'll last me until 2016-2018 if history says anything! Or once I graduate and have a better job I'll say gently caress the Roth I want a MBA... Lol jk!!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I think I'm leaning for C, Tuyop.

You may consider waiting to invest more until after we (the USA) crash the economy though, you may get some awesome 'deals'...lol :-/

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

tuyop posted:

Feels a lot like timing the market to me, though it doesn't take a genius to figure out that there will be some economic fallout when the whole federal government of the world's most powerful country decides they just don't want to play with each other anymore and shuts down.
Definitely feels like timing the market. However, if you're about to invest a reasonably large sum of money and you know with a probable degree of certainty that the USA is about to probably crash the economy, I'd hold off for a whopping 10 days. I don't usually recommend timing the market ever, but in this instance it seems prudent to me to wait a few more days to make the investments. Definitely future out your allocation and everything now, but I'd wait until after the default occurs to do the investing.

I hope we don't default. USA govt angers me. It's very likely they'll figure it out minutes before the deadline happens, they usually do.. That's a different discussion though, one I don't want to continue because grrr politics!

Also, good work using saved money for a related purpose. I could see you spending $700 when you had $540 saved if this was 2 years ago (ikea table comes to mind). So good on you and Toeshoes spending $240 of your allocated funds.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I hope you don't close the thread. But that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
GO TUYOP!!!! Nice work you two!

• Locked thread