Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

tuyop posted:

Also, I'm terrified of buying a house. It seems like a trap. I also don't really want kids. I'd be much happier with a nice apartment downtown, nice car, and lots of trips and an interesting life than a wife, 1.5 children, pets, front-loading washing machine, the whole American dream. I'm like the anti-BFC except for right now when my dream lifestyle got me into a ton of trouble.

Uhh, plenty of us in BFC want similar things and we still plan for it. Unless your life plan is a ramshackle hut in the woods, you're going to need to plan a bit and be responsible in order to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Saltin posted:

It isn't really. There are definitely less of those "we don't care about your credit history" type places here, but as long as you're reasonably solvent, the banks here will lend to you - they are all in wonderful shape with lots of money they are anxious to loan.

Also the whole "use the wildly rising value of your house as an ATM" is somehow still very much a thing here. HELOC ads/promotions are everywhere.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Vomik posted:

People do do this. I grew up dirt poor and was so accustomed to saving everything I could so I wouldn't end up like that and feeling anxiety about spending any money that I stockpiled a bunch of money and lived way below my means in a radically different tax bracket than my parents. I would constantly check my checking account and savings accounts. I know other people like this too.

This was super-common among the generation that grew up during the depression and led to a lot of grandparents having decently large estates when they passed away.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

tuyop posted:

Well, I'm pretty sure I'm going to take a debt-free celebration vacation to SE Asia to surf two to three months after the 0 point. Then I'll focus on paying down the car

Typically people celebrate doings things after they've done them.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

bam thwok posted:

The TD Canadian Equity fund has an expense ratio of 2.13%, and a total cost of 2.62%. That is the pretty much worst I've ever seen. It apparently also has a 1% commission fee for the people who sold it to you. Definitively the worst I've ever seen.

You seem to be unfamiliar with the canadian mutual fund industry, "gently caress you" pricing is pretty much the standard and those fees are lower than many.

If you want to keep investing in mutual funds, your best bet is to look into switching your accounts to a TD efunds account. The efunds mutual funds only have an expense ratio of around 0.5%, which is the best available for canadian mutual funds.

Really though, it doesn't seem like equity investment is the best fit for your financial goals right now.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Zo posted:

I assume you're American? Please don't try to speak to for the world, because you are wrong. Even a cursory google search brings up:

Certain industries in Canada (particularly the finance industry), as well as most employers in the United States look for a one-page resume. This will require being even more focused and concise than in a usual two-page resume.

I'm an electrical engineer in BC, and a two-page resume has always been standard for us as well.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

You may be surprised to learn that using cute codewords does not protect you from prosecution in any way when it is blatantly obvious what said code words refer to.

The "get out of debt via weed" plan reminds me of the documentary on this guy though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballarat_Bandit

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

CuddleChunks posted:

You post this in a Tuyop thread?

It's not so much about hearing the reasoning, which is likely beyond any human comprehension anyway, and more about curiosity to hear the story.

He's mentioned having some furniture in a storage unit somewhere (his parent's house maybe? this is all starting to blur together) so that could be it

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

A friend of mine did gay cam stuff for a while, he said that he made a bunch of money at first due to being a new face, but that interest fell of pretty quickly and he hardly made any money after a little while. And this was a guy with abs who was showing his face.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Zeta Taskforce posted:

Did he have a...

...how should I put this?

A no jokes big...

well you know what I'm asking.

Allegedly yes. I don't really know what the actual amounts he made were, though.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Off the top of my head, the best index mutual funds available in canada are the TD eFunds, which have MERs of around 0.5%. ING and BMO both have some index funds available with MERs around 1%, and that's about as good as it gets in Canada. If you had a large amount you could always go with a brokerage and buy index ETFs, but for a small account index mutual funds are probably your best bet.

You can do the math yourself, but generally using your TFSA room is better than using your RRSP room unless you have a relatively high income, and the flexibility of a TFSA will also come in handy when your financial goals swing on a dime because you read an article about solar panels or affiliate marketing or log cabin construction or some poo poo like that. I'm not sure why you're adding your incomes together for calculating taxes, though; I've never been married so I haven't looked into it, but I don't think it works that way in Canada.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Baloogan posted:

It is usually treated ... except when it rains in places with a combined sewer. Combined sewers are sewers which also take drainwater and have the ability when overloaded to dump out the wastewater into a nearby body of water.

I'm just trying to internet-shame places where it isn't at ALL treated. Like Victoria BC.

I don't even think they have serious plans to change.

Apparently there was a political debate about this recently, with one of the parties coming down on the side of "let the raw sewage flow", although I don't even recall which one it was. But there was definitely an argument in the newspaper to the effect of "no you see it's like 50m down and there's a grating so it's fine, the nutrients even sustain sea life!"

I know vancouver has a combined system, where's the discharge for it? Because between that and false creek being full of the poo poo of people living on sailboats I'm not overly excited by the prospect of swimming next summer.

EDIT: One of the parties opposing the construction of a treatment plant was the Green Party. Sometimes I don't understand this planet.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/sewage-at-centre-of-victoria-by-election/article5582535/

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 6, 2013

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Baloogan posted:

Red is let the poo poo flow
Purple is let the poo poo flow when raining
Brown is let the poo poo flow when the pumps fail

Victoria is all poo poo, all the time.

Most cities with a combined system are like this; I don't swim anywhere near a city. Don't ever swim in any city rivers either.

I've done work for both metrovan and city of victoria.

But isn't all of it treated when it's not raining?

I mean "not raining" is a little uncommon in vancouver but it doesn't rain much in the months you'd be swimming appreciating the poo poo-water from a distance.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

1800 is fine. His diet isn't the problem.

Yeah, 1800 is fine. Especially since everyone tends to underestimate and it probably ends up being somewhat over 2000 on the average day. He's doing weights and eating a high protein diet, so muscle retention shouldn't be a major problem.

EDIT: How tall is he? If he's like 6'5" then yeah it's a little low.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

tuyop posted:

6', 180lbs. Here's a chart of my deadlift numbers, so I think I'm doing SOMETHING right.

I'm perfectly happy with a 60 pound increase in 6.5 months, because I've been lifting for a couple of years now and I NEVER eat 3000 calories a day.

Yeah you're fine, and congrats on the improvement.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

tuyop posted:

God I need some high-protein cheap food items. Beans and most bean products are right out because the farts are unbearable from all except hummus for some reason.

It can help to use canned beans and to drain, rinse, and then cook them a little; dry beans can apparently be soaked, rinsed, then cooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Wasn't the complete protein school of nutrition debunked a while back? (Honest question, not being a jerk.)

I'm not sure what you mean by debunked, because the body does require certain essential amino acids, and a most plants don't (on their own) contain all of the required ones. Chances are though that any sane diet wouldn't have a problem with it of course, but we're talking about Mr. Car-in-lake rhabdomylisis poo poo-composter here.

• Locked thread