Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
You will be on course for a few months then some kind of emergency will come up because it's life, then you pay for that and you'll be deeper than where you started. Repeat until you are crushed.

Your "on course " is naively optimistic and is how many many people get in trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Persona non grata posted:

Vigilance is a burden.

If not having access to credit at a moment of weakness means you don't spend, it might be worth it to eschew the convenience and benefits you get with a credit card.

Trillions of dollars have been spent perfecting the art of getting you to buy poo poo you don't need or can't afford. They know what they are doing.

poo poo, my bank's marketing slogan is literally "You're richer than you think".
Hahaha what. Again this comes down to your own willpower and has nothing to do with a credit card. poo poo if you were so weak you would just go to a loan shark or something anyways.

tuyop posted:

I'm probably going to keep one or both of my credit cards even after getting out of this mess. It's comforting for me to have 15000 available if I immediately have to leave the country and never come back or something. It's not like I'm a compulsive spender, a vacation is not exactly something you just pick up from the store.
See, you have no willpower and that's the wrong way to look at credit cards. Having 20k in savings is comforting if you have to immediately leave the country and never come back or something.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Yeah I know tons of people who smoke a pack or more a day and nobody gives a poo poo because they are not tens of thousands of dollars in debt.

No you do not "need" your cigs, if you're too weak willed to give it up say it, just stop being a pussy about it with your endless excuses.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Yeah this is pretty entertaining because as things are you'll be deservingly in debt for the rest of your life.

But you'll have millions of excuses along the way.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
This thread is BFC's fyadlite.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Yeah but you still quit your job to fill out forms. Thats all it boils down to.

To answer the above question, really loving pathetic.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Vomik posted:

Who gives a gently caress why she wanted to quit her job? She has a couple weeks until basic starts and she wants to get her poo poo in order before she leaves and be in better shape. I quit a job for 2 months making a ton of money because I wanted to relax and travel and was a great decision. If I had posted about it here first everyone would have had a heart attack.

It's about the circumstances. I quit a 70k full benefits job to go traveling. I also have 20k in savings and am young. They as a couple are massively in debt and are asking how they can not be in so much debt.

So maybe you should think a bit before going angry nerd all over the thread.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I thought you can never permanently reduce your TFSA amount. Any amount you withdraw in year x is gone for that year, but then gets added to your allowed amount the following year, in ADDITION to another $5000.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Fraternite posted:

If you put $5000 into your TFSA and buy $5000 of product X -- which then happens to lose value -- and you sell it at $4000 and withdraw the $4000, you can only contribute $4000 back into the TFSA the next year.

Not only did you lose your $1000, you also lost $1000 of space.

Oh ok that's what you meant. Makes sense.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Just wanted to point out that one page resumes is absolutely NOT the standard in Canada. Except maybe if you're just applying for retail or fastfood entry positions. Not that two pages is the minimum but don't feel pressured to keep it at one.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

ufsteph posted:

Pretty sure that one page resumes are the standard in the business world (perhaps longer than this is acceptable in academia).

You don't need to mention every job you've ever had, and you don't need to list every detail of the jobs you do list. You should be specifically tailoring your resume to match the job you are trying to get, highlighting relevant skills and experience they are looking for.
I assume you're American? Please don't try to speak to for the world, because you are wrong. Even a cursory google search brings up:

Certain industries in Canada (particularly the finance industry), as well as most employers in the United States look for a one-page resume. This will require being even more focused and concise than in a usual two-page resume.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Yeah, don't you see how well tuyop has been doing up till now by not listening to advice here? And like he said, his echo chamber oops I mean real life friends are all telling him it's okay.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
This thread is great. I really like how in the beginning it was all "my job security is bulletproof", and now you're apparently homeless.

Yet it still takes a herculean effort to get you to listen to anything. So many posts resisting great advice for the car dent thing. Why anyone still tries to help you is beyond me.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I hope someone steals your bike.

I like it when bad things happen to bad people.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I also commuted by bike during the winter in Toronto one year. It's not hard or scary or dangerous if you just ride in the middle of the traffic lane at a good pace. Cars can't clip you (they have to change lanes), there are no holes, and the streets are usually decently lit even at night/dawn.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

CuddleChunks posted:

I used to ride my bicycle everywhere during normal weather and then well into icy nastiness as winter crept up until snow fell. Because I'm not an idiot. Even with a mountain bike riding around in snow is stupid as hell, not to mention the joys of wrecking on black ice.

Get your car winterized. Get your wiper blades changed. Up the rent on your spare bedroom so that all your contingencies are covered.

Not that I recommend it for tuyop's situation, but in general riding after snowfall is quite safe and doable if you properly prepare by studding your bike tires and ride on the road which is salted anyways.

I did it on a road bike with no problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I agree with the other guy who said you should buy that Macbook pro.

• Locked thread