Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
You made some bad decisions - you can't undo them. Just take pleasure in the smart/sustainable ones that you do take. Get a little happy thrill when you do something within your means, because you'll always be able to afford it. Like, that's sustainable. It's cool, man - don't stress out too much - if you look too far in the future you'll never make it because it'll just seem pointless. Just take it one day at a time, and make sure those days go well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Because Tuyop's future is so in flux, he can't spend the time to invest all of this free time in something really long-term productive. It makes sense that someone (especially with his personality) would have a series of flings with a bunch of "life hacks" that most people could do at any point in their life (if they wanted). There are no set time frames yet, so the lack of a concrete calendar makes career goals much less real.

All of these things that Tuyop pursues are basically tweaks to his life - growing plants, making GBS threads in a bucket, building a yurt - that don't alter the actual direction of it. Regardless of what his career is, he can poo poo in a bucket at home.

It would be a much more productive use of time for him to pursue things that will actually make him more productive and valuable. Like, I'm a programmer, so I'd watch the Stanford lectures on iOS and work with some XCode (for example) if I had all that free time. But he can't grow in a particular direction, so you see this horizontal sprawl across all sorts of weird poo poo, instead of a more vertically-integrated directional approach to development.

If I could give Tuyop advice, I'd tell him to try to figure out exactly what skills he plans on developing post-military and what he can do to develop those skills. That can actually contribute to improving his quality of life.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I wonder how many tons per year of poo poo each human in a household produces. I don't wonder very hard, because I'm definitely not putting any of the relevant terms into a search engine - I really, really don't want to see the results page for that - but I'm thinking probably at least like a ton of poo poo a year? So two tons of poo poo from two people, plus at least that much more sawdust, is a four-ton pile of poo poo at the end of the year. And you need to leave it another year (because the poo poo you added at the end of the year needs a full year to compost, right?) and of course you need to keep that shitpile turning over to keep it aerated or it won't decompose.
You poop six pounds of poo poo per day?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

We just want to take away that thing you have going for you - once you are fat the Schadenfreude will be complete :cool:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah guys let's diagnose Tuyop's 'food problem', that thing in his life that's actually going well. Why the gently caress not - that's what medicine is for, finding problems where things are working fine, right?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Dude, I "get" that these were purchases you could justify, but you've just dropped a thousand dollars in, like, the past week. You might want to take a breather for a second.

You're still very excited by the concept of buying things so not buying things is going to continue to be a near-constant stressor. Right now it still seems you're happy to be able to get away with buying something that's essential - buying things still seems to make you very happy. The alternative, which I strongly recommend adopting, is being bothered that you have to spend money at all in the first place. Changing your mindset to the latter will make this much easier for you.

Have you read Mr. Money Mustache?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 12, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I understand that that's normal behavior for most people, but you don't deal with a normal amount of bureaucracy in your life - you're trying to get medically released from the military and to get your education funded, which is extremely complicated.

The point isn't that you're being objectively inattentive - it's that your circumstances keep indicating that you should be more attentive during this process. IE, your mental framework needs to change a little. If you mentally re-frame it from "the government will be happy to give me what I want if I do the right things" to "the government will do what it can to make this difficult because nobody's particularly enthusiastic about giving me money", you'll have a better time of it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You guys are crazy. I save so much loving time and so much loving money because of the internet.

But why wouldn't you just get a cheap used one on eBay for like a hundred dollars? I mean you don't even need a functioning battery.

I mean, a hundred dollars for eight hours of access to the internet a day for two months? How is that not worth it?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 5, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

And I know that this is ridiculous but I really feel like, so what? I drop 600 bucks on car payment and insurance every month and it's no big deal, what's 1100 bucks on a MBA or 600 bucks on a windows laptop that will last for three to five more years?

Note that I've felt this way for awhile but haven't bought anything, so it's not like I'm acting on this justification. It just seems like such a silly thing to agonize over.
The car payment is a big deal, though. I mean, that car is your albatross.

I agree though that laptops have enormous value. Dollar for hour the only thing that gave me a better return was my forums membership.

Glad you get to borrow your dad's, though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

OK - realistically I think the posters have been stressing about stuff more here in the past few pages because it seems like recently Tuyop's been losing sight of the fact that he's poorer than dead broke by tens of thousands of dollars.

If you're changing to a different framework than "the roof's on fire", that's fine, whatever, but I don't recommend it.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 10, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

That $1200 is equal to five weeks of car expenses in our budget. It's not like buying luxury laptops is the reason I got into debt or the thing holding us back from our wild savings goals.
Literally the worst attitude towards money! Congrats. You are still in debt.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Especially because you will absolutely have to get AppleCare, and that's another $250.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

Regarding the laptop, I've read lots of reviews, looked at the laptop recommendation thread, and I'm pretty set on the Macbook Air, probably 13" with the 256gb upgrade. I don't want a Lenovo Thinkpad regardless of how cool and business chic the silly touch nub is.

Dude, no offense but you obviously just arrived in this thread and I can think of a exactly one instance in the past two years where I've "splurged" on something (Ikea stuff, $400). This is kind of why I don't understand the "if you buy this one thing this time, you'll always buy this one thing and end up broke and with a pineapple in your rear end" mantra. It's possible to buy a thing that you want and save aggressively for other things, guys.

There are a few problems with going home for Christmas, like how the whole thing is going to cost around $2500-$3000 (2100 is airfare if we buy soon) and we only have two months to save for it. And we already paid about 1700 for return airfare home this year. Christmas would likely be the only significant vacation we'd take until 2015. Not going is problematic because it makes it look like we don't care about our families regardless of what we do instead of buying plane tickets. Like, even if it all goes into a retirement fund or down payment or emergency fund, they might not understand and I'm not sure if I like that at all. Not going is on the plate though, yes.

The wedding is next weekend and we have enough in the wedding fund for all the rest of the stuff we have to buy, so yes.
It's a terrible way to spend $3k. You could fly to a foreign country and live there for a month on that budget. Your families will have you back - that's the point, it's loving family, you don't have to worry about your reputation. Act in your self-interest and don't gently caress yourself over.

This was bound to happen - once you found out that you have a guaranteed income stream for two years, you're already spending future money in your head (like by justifying an outrageously expensive trip by saying that future-you won't go on vacation, like that matters).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 18, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Clean slate. Good time to dump 1/8 of my yearly income into a 1 week trip and a computer.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 20, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Nippashish posted:

Living in tyool 2013 without a smartphone or something similar is basically just being a stubborn luddite. Ignore these goons telling you to live in the dark ages.
I think we're all okay with him actually getting a smartphone - people were even recommending the Nexus here - it's this half-assed solution reminiscent of getting sweet upgrades for his bicycle (and then needing to drive) or getting the cheap bike on kijiji (and having to buy a new one) that's the problem.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I still cannot believe that you're doing college in 2013 without a laptop. But with an iPod touch. Have a good cheap plan in place for when you cave so that you don't impulse buy something overpriced. I mean what if you take a class that uses... any type of special computer program? I'm biased because I majored computer science but I just cannot imagine what the heck is going on here.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Haifisch posted:

Realistically speaking, unless your course very specifically requires you to have a laptop in class, you don't really need a laptop. It's nice, especially if you hate taking notes by hand, but it's far from a requirement. Doubly so in Tuyop's case since he already has a computer at home.
Right, but with 7 classes he's going to have a ton of time between classes when he isn't at home. He could be doing work then, and if it were me, I would probably do the majority of my work then. I understand that there are computer labs, but the aggregate 15 minutes he'll spend each time going out of his way to get to one will add up to hundreds of hours each year. I understand that he can still do work that isn't made easier by access to a computer with an internet connection, but I don't think that applies to ANYTHING anymore.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 13, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Haifisch posted:

He made it sounds like he only had 10 minute breaks between each of his classes(hopefully with a longer break for lunch). Depending on his campus's layout, most of that time could be eaten up by travel; even if it's not, it's still not a ton of time. But I guess this problem's harder to answer without Tuyop being more specific about his schedule.
It would be a pretty remarkable feat of scheduling to have solid blocks of class every day. I still can't imagine not wanting to pay bills and poo poo on the fly, but I'm kind of crazy that way and even as a working adult always have my laptop with me.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 13, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Have you considered a more lucrative career path? Your propensity to take things to extremes in every direction is actually a kind of useful attribute for a programmer to have (and, to be a dick about it, bad for an educator where constant gentle pressure is about all you can apply).

Plus, code is made to be unbreakable - thanks to github you can just roll back any fuckups, so what really counts are the periods in which you're productive (and the periods when you're destructive matter much less).

Anyways. Just something to think about.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

And yeah, it's not like having a smartphone gets you out of paying for voice, just that all of my old plans used to have like 400 voice minutes and I never used that much. Though I think I may use more than the 100 minutes per month that we pay for now that this is my only phone.
Can you call via wi-fi on your iPod touch on campus?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I cannot understand the appeal of an iPad. I don't understand what it allows you to do better than a laptop. It's just... shiny?

A TV, however, is a different matter entirely - to watch a movie on a large TV in a dark room in HD is a very different experience from watching it on a laptop.

Some objects do enrich your life by being things that you use on a regular basis. They are worth owning on that basis, and attempting to not desire them is fairly pointless unless you're becoming actively ascetic for some reason (which, to my mind, is different from frugal).

I think that your consumer desires do have an end, and if you really figured out what you want to own and sat on that list a while you could have a plan to be done with it. There's no reason for you to live in tension your whole life. My assumption was that the point of all this was to live the best life possible.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

I want one for reading PDFs, which I kind of use my phone for now but nicer. Also, shiny. And games.
Reason 1 is ok, reason 2 is TERRIBLE, reason 3 is ok

The part that you can excise from your brain is reason 2, as it is pure fetishism.

Old Fart posted:

Then again, some people are still angry that the command line was phased out of common usage. ;)
It is a consuming machine, not a producing machine like a laptop, although my objections may be more aesthetic in nature... although as a programmer I should be happy that the next generation will provide less competition if they stick to their tablets!

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 6, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Old Fart posted:

This isn't really on topic, but there's nowhere else to post it. I'm an American living and working in Canada, and I just finished my first full year. Looking now into RRSP and holy crap is it poo poo-tons better than the IRA system down south. In the US, you can invest $5k a year and that's that. In Canada, you get up to ~$20k a year, and if you don't max out one year, you can make up the difference later. Holy smokes!

Haven't quite figured out how CPP compares to SSI, one step at a time.

Also the whole thing about higher taxes is a myth for most people. For lower incomes the tax bracket jump kicks in later, and the upper cap is actually lower. Tho granted in the US there are more deductions and the like for mega rich, but most people don't fall in that category. And there are some differences between states and provinces. But up here we get that year of family leave and a little benefit called healthcare.

(Sorry for the hijak, tuyop, but you've talked about this stuff here. :))

Oh, Canada!
The USA also has 401k, which has a contribution limit of $17.5K.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

Really though, it's the best part of the last semester, and not only for the fun of playing volleyball in the middle of dry lecture courses, but because it's the first thing in school I've really sucked at. It was so frustrating and dreadful to go into an evaluation knowing that despite my practice and whatever else I'd done, I'd still get a mediocre or failing mark. It was like I didn't know the language or something and it really helped give me a sense of empathy for students who don't read good or do other stuff good. Now I know I'll never run a class so that it favors students with academic or physical aptitudes in an unbalanced way if I can help it. Like, if 30% of a course is a standardized written exam, most of the other 70% will have an option for some other form of evaluation like a dance or play or debate or rap or something.
You're kidding, right? If your class has a goal, ie, is trying to teach something, of course some students will have greater aptitude for it.

What's harmful is the idea that having less aptitude is something to be ashamed of, and trying to hide these differences only makes this sensation of shame worse. The sort of class you proposes awards convincing the teacher you tried, not actual accomplishment.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 11, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

Well, no. The goal is student engagement, I don't really give a gently caress about subject matter because if you can successfully engage a student they'll take the subject matter into their own hands intrinsically. Students are more likely to be engaged if they have a stake in determining how they're evaluated and that evaluation uses something that they feel they're good at and has some sort of purpose. I'll probably have some students who are awesome at essays and multiple choice exams, and some who are musically inclined and so on through a huge array of interests. All of those things can be leveraged to show that a student has met the outcomes of the course, and the odds of engaging a student increase as you give them more choice in how they're evaluated. Do we have to learn about WWI? You can write me an essay about something, like the consequences of a battle, or a war poet's life and impact, or you can make a video on your phone with some friends reenacting something relevant, a group can cook some of the stuff that soldiers would have eaten and talk about what that meant for their lives and the war, and so on. If I just assigned an essay or exam, I'd see a much more "normal" bell-curve of achievement and very few students would be engaged.

In my volleyball class, I think I would have done much better if the "practicum" portion of the course could have been weighted similarly to the technique portion, or if there were even a few training plan assignments instead of just the one. But university is a very traditional environment and I haven't seen anything like what I'm proposing so far, even in education of all things.
Education's beyond hosed in general so I'm not going to pretend that anyone's doing anyone any good as is.

But the written word in general is by far the easiest way to show that you've synthesized information. If history, roughly, is about trying to create a narrative from a collection of aggregated information, obviously one can demonstrate that through many media. But it's much easier to display that with the written word than with anything else, and reasonably someone would have to put in much, much more effort to display the same level of understanding if you're not using the written word to communicate it.

I certainly encourage getting students engaged by any means possible. The current formula of telling people literature is great and then asking students why it's great even though they don't like it is completely insane. But some people, independent of medium, will have more aptitude for, even in the case of history, synthesizing disparate information into a narrative. And that's what you're testing - for the student, engagement is a means, not an end.

tuyop posted:

Nothing really changes. Your role is to engage your students, in a secondary STEM context the disciplines available to you are just narrowed a little bit. Look at Crash Course Chemistry, I did terrible in my high school chemistry class because it was all about memorizing and regurgitating valences and poo poo. If I could have been graded for making a video like Crash Course I would have learned a ton more because I would have wanted to get my poo poo right. The onus is on the teacher to do the hard work and reflection to figure out how they can trap their students into falling in love with their subjects. In chem or bio I'd be totally open to student-lead outings if they were willing to explain natural stuff in the context of the course. Or something silly like like writing and performing a play where they're roleplaying different elements or molecules. There are thousands of ways to trick students into doing the leg work, usually it's not through the same old boring experiments and lectures, though.
This is totally different from saying that you'd structure your class so that no student had any more aptitude than another, though... Obviously a great teacher will use any means possible to develop the skill you're trying to develop, and there are a ton of opportunities to try to engage students in many different ways.

The other danger with this approach is that you're allowing students to identify as not being very good at "writing", for example, instead of focusing on the fact that pretty much all skills are teachable (barring a literal physical handicap such as your volleyball example). It can't really be worse than the status quo, so it doesn't really worry me the same way your approach to child-rearing does, so whatever.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

And I'm not even convinced that grades are important. As Bill Ayers puts it, I kind of want to run a grade 1 class with seventeen-year-olds in it.
You're going to have to grade, though - there's no way around it (in most schools). And realistically, grades could be good for kids if they're handled appropriately and you make it clear what's actually being measured and why. The teachers who were ultra-supportive (instead of asking the right questions) but then gave you a B minus anyways drive everyone crazy.

tuyop posted:

Yeah, this is a problem. Grammar and spelling are the BEDMAS and quadratics of the social sciences, and our schools are really shifting away from the rote memorization and repetition that those skills require, and you can see it now in new university students who lack the vocabulary and grammar to follow and comprehend primary or complex sources. You also have to figure out how to get students out of their comfort zones so that they can actually grow. I don't know how to solve that without sacrificing some engagement. I have a nightmare where my practicum mentor teacher has a student writing "definitely beautiful" on the board 100 times while the other students watch in silence and I have to teach that way to do well in my practicum.
It's mainly a question of how the content is presented, not the method of evaluation. If the internet's taught us anything it's that people like writing lots of words about their opinion and trying to convince people of things.

The trick is to give them material/present it in such a way that they have an opinion/perspective that they want to express.

• Locked thread