Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
You posted a thread asking for help on how to reduce your debt as quickly as possible. No one here is making you listen to everyone. Keeping your car is simply not the most efficient use of your money at this point. If you want to keep it and pay that extra 1.9% interest - go right ahead, it's your life and your budget. In the end, it may be worth it to you to have that car versus being optimal about your budget at this point.

Keep the car if you want it, just keep in mind that it will cost you more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Berkut posted:

I'm not sure if our "leave" is anything like Army leave, much less Canadian, but are you given the option of 'selling' paid vacation? Like, throwing away your saved up hours for cash payout?

Here, this is seen as a waste of money, but in your case it would probably be helpful since you do NOT need to go on vacation any time soon and will only be encouraged to spend while on vacation.

Honestly, I'm not a fan of selling the car. Given there are plenty of good reasons to do it, but paying it off would net you with what appears to be your only potential chunk of equity. Still, priorities beckon. ._.

Oh another thing, do you do your own routine car maintenance? This saves a poo poo TON if you're willing to learn the basics. A good investment would be a Hayes manual for your model.

Edit: Obviously don't toss out *all* vacation, though; emergencies happen.

Never underestimate the advantage of having a maintained vehicle that you have a complete record of, not to mention a warranty on. I would argue that having that would outweigh the benefit of him selling all of his assets just to try to sell the car and find a cheap beater.

Seriously, don't give up the car. Look to other ways of slimming down your budget, because you don't want to mess with your transportation. The car might have been a bad idea in retrospect, but so would be giving up a perfectly reliable vehicle and selling all of your property just to buy some uncertain beater. 1.9% is hardly a horrifying interest rate, anyway.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Here is another opportunity to be thrifty: buy good-quality all-seasons and they'll last like three times longer than high-performance summer tires. Yes, the car won't be quite as excitingly sporty when taking corners at high speed, but you'll save hundreds of dollars.

Not driving like a speed-obsessed maniac will also increase fuel efficiency, don't forget that.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Weatherman posted:

Business, Finance and Careers: Sooner or later every thread turns into carchat

This is hardly unreasonable. Cars are often the second largest expense after housing for most people, I'd argue.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

And (last few years notwithstanding) they depreciate faster.

Thankfully you don't get hit with penalties for "wear and tear" when you lease a home.

Except when you get jerked around on the deposit, of course.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

tuyop posted:

That's how I get away with only spending forty bucks. I usually give people prints of photos and cheap frames.

Yeah I'm overdrafting. I guess that's what happens when I get double charged for food and rent and have a significant car repair in the same month with no emergency fund. I know what I have to do to keep it from happening again and I'll do that.

How should I divide up the 1950 for pay in terms of mastercard and emergency fund?
People will understand if you can't buy them a gift for Christmas. Gift-giving is not mandatory.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

tuyop posted:

Well I will. I only consider not doing option one because I'm just tired of being miserable to get to something good. Yeah I'm young and stuff but I've hated my life and job for as long as I can remember. From my perspective it seems like I'm just extending this shittiness forever, and every few months the wait gets longer.

None of the options will really make me much happier much faster, so the only thing to do is to put the least amount of stress on the people around me and do the right thing by paying back my debts.

And I think most jobs are like that. You start off very crappy. I've been a bad officer longer than I've been a good one, for instance.

Oh well I guess.

Grin and bear it, take option 1, then go to school once you're out of the military and DEBT-FREE instead of going to school that may or may not work out for you and leave you destitute for the rest of your life with no skills.

If you lose your passion for teaching over 4 measly years in the military - you didn't have that passion in the first place! At least, not the passion to do it for your entire life. Maybe you should stop to consider that before choosing your path as well.

The other options aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Fraternite posted:

Drop your collision and comprehensive. You'll still be covered for the damage you are responsible for to other people and things (which is the legal minimum), but your poo poo won't be covered for the damage you're responsible for.

The only way I would be able to not justify dropping collision and comprehensive is if you still owe a shitton of money on your car. If you drop C&C and get into another accident in which you are at fault, you'll still have the loan but you won't have the car anymore. So if you don't owe a mint on the vehicle, get rid of C&C now.

He may not be able to lose the C&C on his insurance. Loan agencies often require that protection as a condition of the loan until the car is paid off (at least in the US). Can't imagine it would be different with banks in Canada–it would be fiscally unwise to loan money to someone without requiring some form of C&C insurance.

• Locked thread