Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

MrKatharsis posted:

Along the same lines as the powders, the military may not consider camwhoring the best use of an officer's talents. Gentlemen and all.

He should definitely do some roleplaying scenes in his class A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Persona non grata posted:

Students loans can discharge through bankruptcy if enough time has passed since graduation. I think it's 7 years, but I'm not certain.

Sorry, I should have said that government loans were income tested. It means if you have no income, you can apply to have your payment reduced, to nothing if necessary. I don't know of an equivalent program for bank loans.

I'm pretty sure he is in Canada and you are quoting US rules, but I could be wrong. Feel free to ignore me if you were aware of this.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I have a good idea. The next time you come up with a cool, life-changing plan to reduce your debt more quickly, just ignore it. There are no easy answers, and you aren't going to magic your debt away with _________. Just get your steady checks, don't quit the army until the process is completed, and slowly pay off your debts over time. Keeping to that discipline is all there is to it, and that discipline is what you seem to lack.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Are there jobs you can get without going to school? Perhaps you could even do something concurrent with the military? Basically, taking on a whole lot more debt instead of taking a steady paycheck to pay back what you already owe seems crazy, especially if you don't know that it will actually pay off. It isn't just the 20k debt that school will cost, it is that you won't be able to repay anything if you don't have any income yourself. There will be a time in your life when you are free to take risks, but times when you are 10s of thousands in debt are not those times.

You can decry people who are "useless sucks" for being legitimately injured while working all you want, but it doesn't make you any better than them. I'm not hating because you want to better your career prospects in the future, but is now really the time to take a risk like that?

Is there a middle ground where you can take classes while still enrolled in the military? You don't necessarily need a degree, you need marketable skills. Perhaps there is an easier road there?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

*Wants to live sustainably*

*Causes public health crisis*

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Also why are dividends beneficial? Any dividend is going to decrease the price of the stock correspondingly. It lets you get liquidity back marginally sure, but it isn't strictly better or worse than the company keeping the money and using it to grow.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You sold your freedom of choice to buy whatever it was put you in all that debt. Get your ducks in a row paperwork-wise before you leave, and never do it again.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Are you considering giving up a lifetime of a disability safety net so you can go to school/not live alone one semester earlier? Sorry if I've misread and I'm misinterpreting your choices, but disability payments for life is something that not many people get, and will afford you a great deal of freedom of choice in the future. This goes for your personal life and your career, if you have a safety net you can take more risks and take opportunities that would be too risky if a job is your only source of income.

I know being stuck in limbo makes you feel like you're going nowhere, but don't give up the long game for the short one. Wait out your owed disability even if it means putting off school/living alone.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Me in Reverse posted:

You don't need any of that poo poo. Just a clarification. You want it.

Some of that is a joke but I agree the line is unclear.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

For what it's worth, I would at least account for car payments as the "bond" portion of your investments, if you have any now. It is pretty "safe" and might justify a higher stock percentage.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Haha you paid $3000 for a home computer in 2013. That is the real problem...

EDIT:
Like there's a version of that story where he still impulse bought a computer but at least did so reasonably. 3k+ sounds like someone looking at all the options and clicking the most expensive choice for each component without knowing what they do. (PS Take your husband's name off the savings account and give him an allowance.) Anyway, this is Tuyop's thread, I'll stop the derail.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 31, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I will take my free 20 day loans with free built in expense tracking. Credit cards are great if you're a "deadbeat" who pays the bill every month.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 14, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I wouldn't even view them as that. They are 20 day loans and are always to be paid back. Surely there are other lenders with much more reasonable terms if there's an emergency.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

^^^They are in fact substantially more expensive if you compare them apples to apples.

Where is home, how can it cost $2100 for two people to fly somewhere? That is crazy. There are no trains or anything you could take instead?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 19, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

tuyop posted:

It's like this:

In the Canadian Forces, when you're attached posted, you get X benefits. In my case, I was attached posted, but did not receive any benefits. The decision was to allow the attached posting on the condition that I not claim the benefits. That decision isn't backed up by any reference. The X in my case equals about $18000.

The major (only?) cost would be that I'd feel like I was betraying all the people down the line who helped me when I really needed it by bending the rules and exposing themselves to exactly this kind of risk. It won't cost THEM 18k, but it will reach them somehow because they made a decision that cost their unit that much money.

And yeah, I'm not willing to do that. If I wanted money and didn't care about morality I'd just go into finance or something.

Offer each of them a cut.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nthing the notion that you need a category in your budget for personal discretionary spending, and a separate line item for savings which you treat like a bill. You should never ever be late on those bill payments and if you are, you better pay it back with interest. Just stop looking at savings as something to dip into for stuff you want, instead of as a vehicle for ensuring your future financial solvency, which you get by not ever skipping payments or dipping in to it. Start saving up that discretionary money instead and you can buy any laptop you please.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I think 6-7 courses is manageable if you aren't working at the same time. He'll spend a lot of time working but it sounds like that's what he wants. I know I did six comfortably and that was my highest gpa semester(mainly because it further diffuses the one B that I would always get.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Actually I know a lot of good workers who are quite discerning about their tools, and to be honest, I think he should have just kept the iphone. An ipod touch is going to be a poor replica of that experience. Are there cheap local networks in Edmonton that you could get a smartphone on? In San Diego you could get unlimited data and night/weekend minutes for 30/month, no idea if they have those in Canada. $70 isn't that big a deal but I don't think this is going to fill much of a niche.

(Also I would spend $70 to never carry around paper maps/notebooks but I don't have debt so *shrug*.)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 11, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

That wouldn't have helped him get to the classes that are rescheduled. I think you should get one of those cheap smartphone plans with an Android phone instead, assuming you aren't on contract right now. I think having a smartphone is pretty life-changing in a good way and a basic one will serve you much better than something wifi-only. I certainly empathize with your frustration though, I wouldn't go back to paper notebooks.

Besides electronics, how would y'all cope with 10 minute walks between classes, where classes can be moved on short notice and you are notified by email? You could have emails forwarded to you as text messages, or plan around a stop to the computer lab between every pair of classes, but those aren't particularly satisfying answers. It'd be nice if the teacher put a sign with the new room on the door of the old one but I guess they don't always do that? I think Tuyop has a point here.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 11, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

There's a lot of really shoddy usb keys/sd cards that do shady poo poo, the ones that are good work fine but I'm not surprised that someone has had a lot of them die. Some guy aggregated a bunch of the cheap ones and found all sorts of messed up poo poo, like one that reported itself as 4 GB, and was actually only 2 GB and just gave you that 2 GB twice when you'd read from it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

SiGmA_X posted:

Derailing Tuyop's thread: do you have a link? I wonder if it varies by brand.

I heard a talk on it at a conference, I'll try to dig up the link. The problem is those things are counterfeited like crazy, having "sandisk" printed on the label means very little. The big manufacturers probably don't do poo poo like that but you never know what you are getting when buying online.

Here is something, it was better as a talk than as a webpage though. Jargon heavy:
https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGrou...FlashCardSurvey

Linux actually contains some support for figuring out the various weirdnesses your storage device has, and doing things differently based on them. Obviously in that extreme case it isn't going to get you your extra 2GB back, but it at least won't perform terribly.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah you aren't really debt-free if you have to pay back the retirement account.

vvvvvv Your debt is still a fraction of what it was when you started this thread, being almost there is worth being happy about! I'm sure finally paying that car loan off will feel great either way.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 4, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Can you make an educated guess about rate of return, then do the math for the three options? That's what I would do but I don't really feel like doing the math for you, maybe someone else will.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I'll miss your thread when it's gone, though I can only imagine the satisfaction of hitting close on that awful burden of debt forever. I'm sure BFC will be happy to give advice on future financial decisions if you want it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I have never heard of a high school(or anywhere else) teaching classes on taxidermy. That sounds pretty cool, should have made big mouth actual bass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

In a desperate attempt to feel something again BFC convinces tuyop that he should get a balloon mortgage on his yurt.

• Locked thread