Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

cstine posted:

But you don't understand! The smoking balances out with the healthy food! It's like magic!

A guy I worked with this spring smoked and he told me that smoking was good because it makes your lungs work harder so you'll have stronger lungs and be able to work harder/longer. Can't argue with that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I like how Tuyop posted a very nice update on his finances where he cut his phone bill and credit card payments way down, and is looking into cheaper auto insurance stuff, and everyone just decided to ignore it and continue with the poopchat.

Hey, I don't have much financial advice for you since I currently make like 15K a year and have more than that in student loan debt, but it's totally okay to fantasize about your hypothetical sustainable future and composting toilet and cool organic garden. I think about that stuff all the time. My fiance and I want to have a little house on some land where we can grow food and be sustainable but we both know that it's going to be AT LEAST 5 years before we can even start thinking about possibly planning and saving up for that. For now he's stuck making $7.50 an hour and I'm slogging through grad school.

Basically what I'm saying is focus on where you're at right now, you're getting your budget under control and that's fantastic. Someday you and your woman will both have decent paying jobs and you'll be able to save up money and have the life you want. Have you ever heard the saying "You can have everything you want in life, you just can't have it all at the same time"? That's kind of where you're at. You want everything and you want it all now but it's not going to happen that way because you are a human living a human life and you're not in the top 1% income bracket. So just chill out man. You're stressing yourself out by focusing on life's little setbacks and all the things you can't or don't have RIGHT THIS SECOND.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

bam thwok posted:

How on earth did you break a can opener?

Hey, it can happen. I let a friend stay with me for a month and she broke so much of my stuff. She broke a can opener (just put it back in the drawer and I had to call her out on it later) a hair dryer (which she also didn't fess up to breaking until I asked her) and a floor lamp, which she tried to "sneakily" fix with duct tape. I'm talking about one of those tall floor lamps, she somehow managed to knock the lamp over and break the pole in half and then "fixed" it with duct tape. The lamp was originally wedged in the corner behind the couch so I don't even know. In 4 weeks she broke about $65 worth of my stuff. Stuff that never breaks.

Anyway some people just break a lot of poo poo. Do you break a lot of poo poo, Tuyop? I find that high-strung and anxious people tend to break and replace things a lot more than calm people. Basically because they're always flinging poo poo around and not really watching what they're doing. That can definitely contribute to your budget issues. A $10 can opener may not sound like much but if you're breaking and replacing $10 items regularly, that can add up ya know. Also go to the thrift store and get a can opener for 50 cents, especially if you are one of the aforementioned "breaks a ton of poo poo" type of person.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
My roommate just got a ticket while doing almost the exact same thing - speeding while passing a guy. Apparently it's illegal to break the speed limit even when passing. So if a guy in front of you is going 55 in a 60, you can't go over 60 to pass him because you're breaking the speed limit. But if you tried to pass a guy going 55 when you were going 60 it would take you a dangerously long time. Basically unless the guy in front of you is going like, 15 miles under the speed limit, it's illegal to pass them because you'll be going too fast.

So yeah it's pretty stupid that you got a ticket (my opinion), because I think it's a stupid law technicality. Unless you kept up your higher speed long after you had already passed the guy.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

tuyop posted:

We can potentially save 3100 a month.

The problem here is that you won't. You won't save 3100 a month. You know you won't. No matter what you say in this thread, you know how you are with money better than anyone, and you know that you won't. You know it in your head and you won't admit it.

That's the whole crux of this thread! You keep getting little influxes of money, and it gets pissed away. Little purchases here and there. They add up. Your defense is always "But we're JUST doing this ONE THING this ONE TIME" but the problem is, it happens every time you get a little more money than you thought you would. It's going to continue to happen every month.

Do you really think you're going to see a + $3100 balance in your checking account and just put it into savings? You don't have to justify anything to the people in this thread, we're just faceless internet people. You have to be honest with yourself.

Do you really, honestly, truly, believe you can save that much every month? Think about it, don't post here about it. Be honest about yourself and what kind of person you really are. You're a spender and you'll never live a simple life.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
That's nuts. I've gotten my full security deposit back 5 out of 5 times. I've rented from big rental companies and private homeowners.

The only time I had anything taken out of my security deposit was for was 1/4 of the cost of a carpet cleaning which ended up being like 60 bucks.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

SiGmA_X posted:

Your posts often confuse me! "Full security deposit back 5 out of 5 times" and then "only time I had anything taken out of my security deposit was"... That was basically in the same paragraph!

Haha yeah, I meant except for that one time. I knew I was getting the 60 bucks taken out because the carpets DID get stained and me and my roommates agreed ahead of time to pay so... ya know. I mean I haven't had a landlord not give me back the amount that I was owed. Basically no landlord has ever tried to scam me out of my deposit and it seems like it happens to a lot of people. I guess I've just been lucky.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

tuyop posted:

I'm convinced that this dumbphone experiment is a pretty big failure. This month is another $150 bill, and most of it looks like 1-800 numbers so I don't really get that (I'll call them, don't worry). Since switching out the smartphones, we've averaged $85/month for phone use.

That sucks. What carrier do you have? My husband and I both have dumbphones with unlimited talk, unlimited text, and 50MB data shared that we have yet to even use 10% of in a given month (mostly because using the internet on a dumbphone isn't what you would call user-friendly). We have Verizon and it's like $107 a month for both phones with tax and "fees".

It's not like we got in on some super-secret plan, it's on their website. Unlimited talk, text, and 50mb data for $50/month per phone. I was told (but not really convinced because everyone you talk to tells you something different) that it's their cheapest plan.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

HipGnosis posted:

God this sounds way better than anything that was offered at my high school

I took taxidermy twice in high school, my junior and senior years. It was my very first class of the day which was sweet because we could pretty much roll in at any time. All we had to do was mount 3 things a semester and there wasn't really a time limit other than "do 3 by the end of the semester" and if you did a lovely job, you got a B. If your mounts looked mediocre or above, you got an A. It was pretty well known by the other teachers that the taxidermy students had to go check on their birds/fish/whatever drying pretty regularly so it was also a convenient way to get out of other classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Jeffrey posted:

I have never heard of a high school(or anywhere else) teaching classes on taxidermy. That sounds pretty cool, should have made big mouth actual bass.

I guess they don't teach it there anymore sadly. My dad took taxidermy from the same teacher when he was in high school. I mainly did ducks since my dad was a duck hunter and I could always get cool specimens. I also did a crow and a couple pigeons and starlings. And a turkey fan. Lots of people did fish.

I still dabble with taxidermy a little bit. I will admit I'm pretty poor at it, and it's time consuming. Doing three in a semester was actually a considerable amount of work.

• Locked thread