Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
April
Jul 3, 2006

tuyop posted:

I already spent that money years ago. The only thing to do now is to spend as little as possible until it's paid back. This will only last a few years or so, I'll survive.

You're starving yourself while planning vacations. The post I quoted smacks of passive-agressive, pity-mongering whining along the lines of "But I'm just doing what you guys saaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiidd".

Seriously, knock it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

April
Jul 3, 2006

Here is a blog entry by a guy who lives in Colorado and commutes by bike, on lighting:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/09/26/lighting-up-the-bikes-for-the-darker-half-of-the-year/

And on winter biking:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/11/03/how-to-ride-your-bike-all-winter-and-love-it/

MMM is pretty extreme about both finances and fitness, and might be more helpful to Tuyop. I think most of Tuyop's problem is something my husband also does - "Hey, here's this problem I'm having HURRY AND BUY WHATEVER I NEED TO TO FIX IT RIGHT NOW NOW NOW!!!" without trying to think through options.

April
Jul 3, 2006

What about the roommate you're getting? Assuming the couch is in a common area, could you guys split the cost of a slightly better one? Or would she be able to get one herself, since you guys are outfitting the kitchen?

I agree that it's not a necessity, however.

April
Jul 3, 2006

quote:

AND becoming a fit, supple leopard.

For some reason I read this as "becoming a fit, supple leotard" and now I can't quit giggling.

Tuyop, when it comes to things you enjoy doing, like travel, there's no objectively defined "enough". You can travel all you want to, for the rest of your life - within your means. Right now, that means biking to the farmer's market. Once you get your car situation cleared up, via your inheritance or disability or whatever, you might be able to afford to take weekend trips a couple of times a year (couple = 1-2, not 14). Pay off the credit cards, start putting some away into savings and so on, and you can take better trips. Think of it in food terms. You've eaten lots of desserts (spending recklessly), and now you are going to feel like crap (broke) until you develop some healthier habits (controlling spending, paying off debt). Changing spending habits can be a lot like detoxing from a bad diet or any other addiction. You are used to this external thing that makes you feel better. The first few days/weeks/months are the toughest, but it does get easier. If you hate your job & feeling stuck now, imagine how much worse it'll be in 20 years, when your options get more & more limited.

April
Jul 3, 2006

If you want to do the tiny house thing, why not just buy one that's already made?

http://tinyhouselistings.com/

Some of these are actually pretty nice-looking, and most are priced for less than your car. Once you are out of debt, that is.

April
Jul 3, 2006

tuyop posted:

Yes. I think you're misunderstanding me.

I read this as, "You can't do [incredibly simple task], because you're incompetent. Therefore you can't do [very complicated task]." All I meant was that I have done difficult and complicated things, despite not having done some examples of easy and simple things, so I have the capacity and HipGnosis is just being a dick.

Also, I feel pretty strongly that even though it's kind of silly, leading a fighting patrol in training is still pretty loving difficult because over 75% of people fail at it after having already gone through 1-3 years of army training. Certainly all of the people who can fix their CRA MyAccount problems could not lead a fighting patrol.

Edit: But you guys are right of course, I can't build a house right now. I think I could build a yurt, though!

Edit edit: Also, you're right. The laundry machines are under the counters and the hot water is from one of those on demand water heater things.

Closets are used to store things that you aren't using. This seems kind of silly, really. If you're not using some things, why do you own so many of them that you need a whole other room dedicated to storing them?

People pointing out that you are not qualified to build a house are not trying to insult you, they are trying to get you to be realistic. Saying "you don't have the experience or training to do this thing" is not the same thing as saying "you're not good at anything". If you could get over yourself for 2 minutes you'd realize that being skilled at one thing, or several things, does not automatically mean you will be proficient at everything you attempt. I'm very good at researching mineral ownership, that does not mean I should try my hand at brain surgery.

Not to mention the fact that you are getting all bent out of shape over this hypothetical imaginary house, when you've got real actual issues that need to be dealt with. It's the basil thing all over again. You have a poo poo-ton of debt. Your employment/income situation seems to be somewhat tenuous. And now you're upset because people are pointing out that you are looking at spending $40-60k on something that YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT. Why do you fixate on these crackpot ideas and defend them so vehemently?

April
Jul 3, 2006

tuyop posted:

So net for this month is 3714, which is posing another problem, what do we do with our balances at this point?

It's a little bit messy and I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the various accounts:

Toeshoes has:
Chequing: 5500
Savings A: 688
Savings B: 251

And I have:
Chequing: 3100

I don't really know what to do with this at this point. Can someone just lay out the ideal solution for emergency funds and whatnot. Keep in mind that we have 15k in a line of credit that we both feel comfortable using as an emergency fund if that's prudent.

Edit: to head off confusion, we just use my PCFinancial MasterCard that gives grocery points for all of our expenses except rent, car payment, and car insurance which come out of my chequing automatically. I usually just pay off the 300-400 dollar balance out of my chequing, hence the low balance.

What I did was take 1/2 month's worth of expenses, and buy a 3-month CD with it every 2 weeks. That way, I have a CD maturing every 2 weeks, so if everything goes to poo poo & both my husband and I lose our jobs, we still have several months of "income". It works for us because while we COULD cash out a CD if we need to with almost no penalties, the money isn't as easily accessible as a regular checking or savings account, so we are less likely to use it.

April
Jul 3, 2006

It's not an all-or-nothing thing here. If I'm reading correctly, you guys have a combined 9k or so in cash. Why not put 1/3 in an emergency fund, and 2/3 on your debt? You'll be able to drop your 9.5% interest debt by about half by doing that.

You can always pay more on the debt later out of the e-fund if you want. But the idea is that you DON'T run up any more credit. My husband and I had the same problem, and we never got our debt down for any length of time, because we thought like you. "I have $3000 extra this month! Quick, pay down the credit card!"

One month later....

"Car needs a new transmission - guess we're using the credit card!" Keep a couple thousand handy for unexpected NECESSARY expenses (not vacations). Put the rest on your debt. When something breaks, do not use your lines of credit.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Why not do something like this:

http://teamtreehouse.com/

It is a really inexpensive program that can get you proficient in a number of tech/programming fields within a few months. I know you have your heart set on teaching, but this is something you could use to transition quickly to other employment once you are released, and also maybe use what you learn there to do part-time freelance work to pay for your schooling as you go, so you don't incur anymore debt.

And I hope I don't come off as cruel for saying this, but until you get your mood swings under control, I don't know if teaching is the best career choice. If you are having difficulty focusing on a single goal/plan for more than a few weeks at a time, how are you going to teach what someone else tells you to for months/years/decades at a time?

April
Jul 3, 2006

tuyop posted:

How many years are you willing to write off as pure sacrifice?

Like, say someone told you that it was just one more year, and then ten months later said that someone had lost a piece of paperwork or filed it incorrectly so the whole year had to start over... and then this happened three times. Would you wait another year? What if it happened again?

What you are losing sight of is that as long as you have large amounts of debt, you will NEVER be free to do what you want. It is like having a child without any of the joy. All of your plans have to include provisions for caring for it.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Your car, surely! It is the bane of your budget!

Seconding this!

Can you throw up a quick comparison of balance/interest rate/monthly payment on the student loan and car?

April
Jul 3, 2006

tuyop posted:

THINGS aren't my gazingus pin, it is/was travel, and that's not really an option for the next little while.

Aren't you the guy who had to have $100 underwear? And a car that is ridiculously impractical, that you are still underwater on two years into the thread? Maybe it was someone else that had to buy a bike, then spend a stupid amount on upgrades for it. Or who moved into an apartment, then immediately ran out and bought a bunch of new poo poo for it, while their old poo poo is in storage somewhere. Totally not the actions of someone who doesn't like to buy THINGS.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Nocheez posted:

Re-read this again, Tuyop. And a third time.

I understand the feeling you're going through. My wife and I hit a landmark in our savings this month and I've been saving for a new mountain bike. It would have been very easy to walk out of the Trek store with a $4,000 bike because we can easily afford it. However, I've been putting aside a couple hundred bucks every month since April so my budget was around $800. I will admit that I stretched the budget an extra $40 to get a bike with some nicer features, but I planned and saved for it. I cut back on spending for other things for almost 5 months to afford it.

As I handed over my debit card to the cashier I had a small twinge of buyer's remorse over the amount I was spending. If buying an expensive item doesn't make your stomach churn just a little bit, you probably have a good grasp on how a budget works.

I've been doing the same thing. I fell in love with a $450 handbag. I know exactly how impractical that is - I can go to Target and get a purse for $25 that will hold all my stuff. But what I've been doing is putting $100 or so every month in my personal savings out of my "allowance", and not going out for lunch, or splurging on other things that I usually buy. It's been 4 months and I am juuuuust about there.

Why don't you & Toeshoes have separate accounts for your own spending? And why not save up to buy whatever the gently caress you want out of that, instead of taking household money for something splurge-y?

April
Jul 3, 2006

HooKars posted:

How pissed are you going to be when you go to buy it and its out of stock? :)

MacBook Air doesn't have that problem

I have it on my Amazon wish list, and gaze longingly at it every few days....

April
Jul 3, 2006

tuyop posted:

Yup, that's what I'm saying! But do you guys want literally nothing that you can't afford right this second? How do you plan to buy things that you want in the future if you don't want them now at all?

Well, I put a little into my personal savings every pay, and when I want something, hey, look! I have some money saved up, and I can buy it! Or, I'll have the money in a few weeks.

Again, why do you not both have a personal checking/savings account, so you can buy the things you want, without blowing the household budget on toys just for you?

April
Jul 3, 2006

tuyop posted:

We budget by categories, not by accounts. In the past we've just discussed saving for a thing as a couple regardless of whose thing it is and then we save into that category until the balance is high enough and then we buy that thing. There's no "my money" and "her money", we just tell each other what we want and budget through it.

Ok then, why don't you have a category called "Tuyop's Toys" and budget a little towards it every month?

April
Jul 3, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Best way might be to ask your parents, but the notary who handled the transfer should be able to help.

In the US, it's a public record. Some counties have a searchable database online, you can look up property taxes for any piece of property. If it's not online, a call to the assessor's office will tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

April
Jul 3, 2006

Congratulations Tuyop!!! My husband and I still have about 2 years till we are debt-free(but that includes a mortgage). Echoing the question, how does it feel? And what have you learned?

• Locked thread