Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
I read this at work, actually enjoyed it a lot more than the actual game. The art is great and it's funny as hell. Couple things really bugged me, though, to the point where I didn't really bother to go back and read it past the point I left off:

1. The way he plays the sexuality. He has the character's clothes fall off every 10 panels and makes innuendos every 2 or 3, and then acts all superior and squicked out when the thread gets people saying "she's hot!! have her gently caress so-and-so!!" And then draws some more lizards in panties. YUP ALL PART OF THE STORY

2. 95% of the time, the character is really cute and likable and sympathetic, but then out of nowhere there's these super conservative/misogynistic shots. "If only you hadn't had too much to drink, you wouldn't be such a slut! You might even still be a virgin! It's your fault you got raped by an orc!" It's like holy poo poo dude. Slow your roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Phylodox posted:

I kind of thought that was the character's self-loathing being expressed hyperbolically through internal monologue.
That's what I really wanted to think, but then I saw the blurb on the MSPA mirror site was something like "the adventures of a dumb Khajit slut" and I was like :smith:

Zenzirouj posted:

I see that as being more anti-alcoholic than misogyny, since she does things that are bad regardless of gender while drunk. Blacking out and having sex with a skeleton isn't really acceptable whether a man or woman. And I don't think that was rape or anything, just more of the aforementioned bad decisions. Still, I'm not really sure if we're supposed to take his voice as her own conscience or what. That's the way I've read it, anyway.
Well, here's the thing: the stuff she does when she gets drunk IS bad. But it's bad because she loses her own dignity and ability to make decisions, whereas the author seems to think it's bad because she's having sex with people. This is kind of reinforced throughout the story--the narrator calls her a dumb slut/whore, it's implied that if she made good decisions she would "still be a virgin" (also referring to her as a grown woman elsewhere in the story), not to mention responds to a suggestion that she sleep with the lizard by implying that sexual relationships can't meaningful.

It just feels like, to the author, she can either be a virgin or a whore. I mean, as Phylodox pointed out, the reliability of the narrator is kind of vague, and it's possible that all this stuff is representational of her own psychological hangups, and that she'll eventually learn that her own sex drive shouldn't be a source of shame. It's possible. It would be pretty impressive for a webcommic. But so far I don't think we've seen anything to suggest that's gonna happen.

edit: also yeah unless the orc dude and necromancer dude were also drunk out of their minds (which isn't implied so far as I can see) they could be convicted of rape if they lived in America!

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Phylodox posted:

I got the impression that she was the narrator, or that the narrator was relaying her thoughts, not their own. I mean, one of the main themes of the story is how much of a failure she thinks she is and how much she hates herself.

Oxxidation posted:

Pretty much. The narration is basically first-person with the pronouns mixed up.
She's definitely the narrator! And I agree, the narration's definitely used to communicate how she feels about herself. BUT the narration is also used by the author to frame the goals she's supposed to be focusing on, and there's nothing in the story so far that indicates "stop being such a slut" is intended to be a bad goal. The fact that the author uses the same demeaning language in the explicitly third-person story blurb kind of reinforces the idea that it's not.

Haledjian posted:

I mean, as Phylodox pointed out, the reliability of the narrator is kind of vague, and it's possible that all this stuff is representational of her own psychological hangups, and that she'll eventually learn that her own sex drive shouldn't be a source of shame. It's possible. It would be pretty impressive for a webcommic. But so far I don't think we've seen anything to suggest that's gonna happen.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Phylodox posted:

Do you mean "Oblivion fanfiction about a slutty alcoholic cat"?

It's a bit crude, but I think it's just a silly description. We could go into a huge discussion about devaluing words and patriarchy and double standards, but I think it might be reading a bit too much into it.
It's not any individual thing, though. If you just look at the description you can shrug it off as "just a silly description," and if you just look at the language in the comic itself you can say "maybe it's her own self-loathing, not what the author thinks." But looking at both of them, together, seems to tell a different story.

Fudge Handsome posted:

This. I think it's a little early for this thread to degenerate into something like this. It's a fun silly comic about a catgirl learning magic and turning her life around and meeting people far stranger than her.
I don't think it's a degeneration, as long as people post respectfully & in good faith. I was glad to see a thread on this here because I knew the MSPA people would just be like "shut the gently caress up human being"

It's a fun, silly comic that I really like but which every 25 pages punches me in the face with some really nasty poo poo. If it was just irredeemably awful like Cerebus or something I wouldn't even want to bother talking about it.

Volmarias posted:

- Webcomic on internet about some dude comes to a point where it is explicitly stated that the dude's male friend is gay. Audience response: "Oh, uh, well, good luck with that."

- Webcomic on internet about some lady comes to a point where it is explicitly stated that the lady's female friend is gay. Audience response: "gently caress HER IN THE EAR AND DRAW GRAPHIC PICTURES"

I don't think the issue is with the author. I think the issue is with the readership.
Oh yeah I'm not saying some of those guys aren't awful. I do think the author is leading them on a little more than he admits though. eg "Can I stay at your house?" "Well okay but we will have to sleep together because there is one bed and for some reason you can't sleep on the floor. Also I normally sleep in my underwear, which I will do again now even though you are sleeping in the bed next to me and for some reason I can't make an exception." "Ok!" "PS I'm gay" :stare:

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 1, 2011

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Cyrodil has yet to know the wonders of the air mattress.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Kazerad posted:

a post.
Oh wow I wasn't expecting that! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and being so gracious. Great to hear you're considering that angle, too.

Speaking of control over the narrative, one of my favorite bits was how the magic fire started as a visual pun, then became a recurring gag, then an actual plot thread. Was that planned from the beginning or inspired by comments? Well played regardless!

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

The Worst Unicorn posted:

Well I'll pop in too. You're copying Hussie's drawing and animating style and you're using Oblivion's characters and world setting.
Is this really so terrible? Scott McCloud made a big deal out of how the internet was going to change the way we read and interacted with comics, but most webcomics are still doing the x-weekly box-of-panels format. The MSPA format is one of the first I've seen that genuinely could only ever exist online. It's pretty compelling in that regard. It's a great idea, of course people are going to copy it, especially within the insular community of its forums. Some might even be better than the original. Isn't that how music genres get made?

As for stealing from Oblivion, the game itself is hardly an exemplar of unique and original fantasy settings. It's got elves and orcs lifted wholesale from Tolkien, dudes in armor with swords, mages that cast spells, lizard people and furries that I'm pretty sure are plentiful in Dungeons and Dragons. It's a character-driven story much more than a plot-driven one, so he could easily change the names of the species and locations and it would work just as well. But if he's fishing for readers then why bother?

Kazerad posted:

I recognize your concerns but think you underestimate the power of a large readership. They are more than simply a number; they are a mass of individuals, each one with his or her own reason for reading. I watch where they come from, and analyze how these numbers fluctuate with every page that is posted. Whenever possible, I monitor reader opinions and how they differ from every corner of the internet. Themes emerge; people begin to fall into relatively distinct camps of why they read/don't read. It's valuable to recognize that the author-reader relationship goes both ways; if a single critic is valuable learning tool for an artist, a consensus is priceless.

When the time comes to move on to my next project, I'll probably lose some readers, yeah. But I also suspect that by then I'll know enough about their motivations that I'll be able to draw most of them along with me. Even if I lost every single one or did my next project under a new identity, I think I've learned enough from my current batch that I'd be able to hit similar readership numbers in a month or two.
drat blood. You're a regular Jim Davis.

This type of thinking about fanbases is always interesting to me, especially in terms of trying to game the internet, which a lot of people who really want to haven't figured out how to do yet. I make rap songs. About a month ago I put one out about My Little Pony, as kind of a joke, and it quickly shot up to about 100,000 listens, between Youtube and Soundcloud. I was hoping people would stick around and listen to the less gimmicky stuff on my Soundcloud (I even tried to capitalize on it by including a "bonus track" in the pony song download), but for the most part that hasn't happened--my other songs are hovering in the mid-to-low hundreds. I did get somewhere between 50 and 100 subscribers off it, but most of them have pony avatars and I wouldn't be surprised to see them dropping off when they realize I'm not gonna make any more songs about their favorite cartoon.

So, 3000 readers is pretty substantial, but there's usually a fanbase bell curve where the vast middle is occupied by people who don't really care that much. If you're going to try to get them to follow you anywhere I wouldn't count on more than 10% or so actually following through with it (although that 10% will inevitably be devoted as hell and probably spread your new poo poo around as much as they can).

That said, your comic has pretty broad appeal, and the format you're using definitely promotes some personal investment in the product, so who knows! Internet popularity is crazy poo poo.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Horse is unfuckwittable.

e - haha Kosh took his AIM name out his profile. Now he can threadshit with impunity!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I'd definitely call it a comic, especially since it's basically ditched the more game-like features that MSPA made use of, like the inventory system. It doesn't have a traditional panel layout but essentially yeah it's a comic with an audience-driven narrative.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Rasamune posted:

I was wondering where my can opener went. Those poor worms are gonna suffocate in there.
Yeah, I think I was getting an ulcer not replying to that. This thread doesn't deserve it though.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Fair enough! But yeah I agree, I was really happy to see that in there (and well-incorporated too). Thanks Kazerad! I'm gonna imagine it was prompted at least in part by my post earlier in the thread and feel good.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Herpus Derpus posted:

Dmitri's just going to be robbed of everything by gro-upp so he and Katia have something in common.

Edit: Kazerad, what illustration program(s) do you use?
I'm guessing Flash, almost certainly.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Kazerad :negative:

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Kazerad posted:

There's always a lot of people who cry "railroading!" when I edge the story in a direction, but I think that's a misnomer. It's not "railroading" so much as a "no passing zone". There is plenty of opportunity to change lanes while the line is dashed, but if you don't get in the right lane by the time it turns solid, you miss your exit. Which isn't always a bad thing! Sometimes the wrong road leads to very neat places.
I think you're doing more than just edging the story--you created Dmitri, his cats, his possessions, you introduced Landorumil, then brought Gro-upp into the scenario. You also get to pick and choose which reader suggestions to incorporate, and decide what the results of those decisions are. You have like 90% of the control of the narrative here, and nobody can see the road markings except you.

Anyway, obviously it's sad to see Dmitri get merked, but I'm kind of mixed on it from a narrative standpoint. On the one hand, his arc feels really incomplete and kind of pointless now. On the other hand, it's definitely in keeping with the masochistic tendencies of the story so far. :shepface:

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

QueerPope posted:

I honestly prefer it when MSPA-style stories just use the reader suggestions as jokes and for the most part control the story on their own. I like when the reader suggestions make funny things like "friendship diamond" but I like seeing what the author has in mind more than what the readers want to happen.

We aren't making "right" and "wrong" decisions, we're just phrasing the decisions in command format, the end result would be the same anyways because that specific end result is what would have made a better story.
Oh yeah, I'm not saying it's a bad thing for the author to be directing the story, just that it seems disingenuous to blame, for instance, a character death on the audience, given the comparatively small amount of control they have.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Well, that was eerily idyllic. I wonder where Gro-upp is.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

What's up with the clothing inconsistency? That robe thing keeps changing shape and coverage depending on zoom levels.
The character's entire head and body shape change depending on the zoom level. I think it's just a thing.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I don't know how to play the dance game :(

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Kazerad you are a sick man.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

This is the best thing.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Calling it now: Kazerad is going to have a successful line of plush toys for sale less than a year from now

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Kazerad posted:

As for the sex-negative thing, I know I've said it before but Katia's views do not necessarily reflect my own. But even then, I think "sex-negative" is a somewhat misleading label for her views. A lot of her statements border on outright slut-shaming, but at the same time she has only been shown applying them to herself. In a lot of ways you could compare it to a depressed, middle-aged accountant who looks back on his life and says "I could've been a musician". He clearly doesn't value accounting very much... but would it be right to tell him this belief was wrong, or construe this as an attack on accounting in general?
How readers interpret it is gonna matter a lot more in this department than how you explain it on Something Awful, though. And honestly when I first started reading it, the "it's just Katia" interpretation is what I wanted to go with, but when you yourself characterize your work as "slutty cat adventures" (1, 2) it's pretty hard to give it the benefit of the doubt there (even when I really really want to).

That said, I think the ghost in the cave was the low point as far as that stuff is concerned and from Dmitri onward it's softened on that stuff. I dunno if that was intentional or not but I think it's an improvement!

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Kazerad posted:

It's part of the reason I misrepresent the comic in my descriptions: I want people to come up with their own description, not use mine. Nobody who has read it would seriously describe it as "slutty cat adventures", I think.
I think you think a lot better of people than they deserve.

The thing is that you're presenting the sex stuff in exactly the same context as the alcoholism, and the lack of useful skills, and the poor impulse control, and all these things that reasonable people would agree are character flaws. So "stop loving people so much" is subsumed into the character arc of "become a better person."

Now, you can say that only represents Katia's view, and not yours, but unless you take steps within the narrative, not in forum posts, to communicate that Katia is wrong about this, then the comic is absolutely broadcasting a sex-negative and kinda sexist message that, statistically speaking, a majority of your readers will probably agree with. You say you don't want to get into these issues in the comic because you haven't researched them, but by making slut-shaming into one of the main recurring gags (no pun intended) of the comic, you really already have.

Robo Pope posted:

The ghost calls Katia a "Khajiit whore" which is obviously sexually negative and not an ancient ghost of an elf being racist about Khajiits at all.
Is there some reason it can't be both?

In line with what I mentioned above it's the third vector by which the same idea, Katia Needs To Stop Being A Slut, is transmitted, the first two being Katia's narration and Kazerad's descriptions of the comic on its webpages. Two of them come from flawed, unreliable characters and one is tongue-in-cheek, but they're still all reaffirming each other, and the only thing on the other side is Kazerad saying on SA "I don't really think that," which isn't going to do a whole lot to alleviate it.

I'm a dude who hasn't even had to face these types of attitudes directed at me and those parts of the comic still make me uncomfortable, even AFTER reading Kazerad's take on it on SA. What with all the hits it's been getting, I'm sure there's at least hundreds if not thousands of female readers who don't have the privilege of having read this particular forum thread. How many of them are going to feel alienated by it? I can't really make a guess beyond "probably too many." And that number's gonna scale accordingly with increasing (and deserved) popularity of this comic.

e - Yeah, what Dolash said, also.

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 23, 2011

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

prahanormal posted:

Kazerad, your comments make me feel like you are unaware of the amount of porney fan-art Prequel has spawned, and if so I am so sorry for bringing it to your attention, but I'm pretty sure there is at least a few people who are reading the comic because they like the idea of a slutty catgirl loving everything.

That's probably a consequence of having anthropomorphic characters though. (or being connected to the MSPA fanbase. :sigh:)
Or creating any kind of popular entertainment ever, haha.

Just from the posts in the MSPA forums thread I'd say he probably has some idea. I actually remember him saying in this thread that he does exploit that audience to some extent, so :v:

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Volmarias posted:

you're all making arguments that sex is presented negatively because Katia feels negatively about loving everything that moves when she's sober (blackout drunk is a different story).

It seems an awful lot like you're setting the character up to fail. Glare at the suggestion that Katia gently caress <character she just met> or stick a Pinapple up her vagina? CLEARLY A PRUDE.
I feel like you haven't really reading the posts. Nobody has called Katia a "prude." This has nothing to do with prudishness. Nobody is demanding that the character have sex (I mean honestly I wish that stuff wasn't featured so prominently because it makes me feel weird about recommending it to friends). They are saying that the comic's treatment of her when she DOES is problematic.

If her rationale was explicitly (or even implicitly) "I'm not gonna have sex with people because I don't want to, and I have much more important things to focus on right now" that would be fine, and I don't think the story would suffer. But instead her rationale is "I need to stop being such a whore." The former would actually serve the narrative BETTER, I think, because it's in keeping with the theme of self-actualization and getting what one wants out of life. The latter is something she's doing for other people, to try and keep them from using bigoted slurs on her. It's hella different!

P.S. I think the CHIM discussion is really boring, but you guys are welcome to have it!

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 23, 2011

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Haha I have faith Kazerad can make anything funny. I laughed and was sad at the same time when Dmitri died, real talk.

Point taken though, I like how the comic's been going and I don't want to hijack the thread or anything.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I just like how they seem to think they're not being blatantly obvious about it.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

You should move in with us baby. Forget about those clowns.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Aw.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I'm gonna count it as a victory if she just doesn't fall in the well.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Basically.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

I think Hirtel is my new favorite character.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Is that one of Dmitri's cats. :smith:

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Look, the kitten is already a more competent adventurer than Katia.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

oh god Katia is dead. She died.
She got away! Look where the stone got knocked out of the side of the well.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Hey Sindow is that a panel from the strip? If not, where'd it come from?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

If it makes you feel better it's Katia being lovely to herself, not the creator trying to say something about it.
The problem is this doesn't really matter if it's not evident in the text--outside of this thread I've only ever seen readers taking it as, I don't know, the word of god.

But yeah the comic's invested a lot in slut shaming as comedy fodder at this point, it'd be pretty tough to turn that into any kind of a positive mention without weird tonal shifts

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Yonic Symbolism posted:

It's a real social problem, but I'm pretty sure it's just the readers problem for having lovely attitudes. If they use Katia's attitude - which has done nothing positive for Katia - to justify it, then they can't tell fiction from reality. And most of them don't because a lot of them are internet shut-ins who are more sympathetic to a mspaint cat girl than anyone in real life.

tl;dr - I think the reader base for the comic is mostly lovely and the comic shouldn't necessarily be blamed for it.
Art, even fiction, doesn't really get the luxury of being examined in a vacuum like that. Like everything else, this comic exists in a society where slut shaming is pretty normal behavior, and if it presents slut shaming in an uncritical light people are going to take it that way unless they're already predisposed to question that. You can call that a "lovely readership" if you want but it's pretty much an inevitability with any readership that's not already comprised of explicitly feminist people.

It's been addressed before, and I think at this point the issue is "stop being a slut" is so ingrained as one of Katia's "self-improvement" bullet points. From what I remember Kazerad basically said that wasn't what he intended to convey but he doesn't think it's a big enough deal to address.

For what it's worth though the comic's been a lot better about it since it was raised in this thread, which is awesome. Katia getting eaten by fish and licked by a vampire is a lot funnier than Katia getting raped.

And yeah, hoping that the server's not in too much trouble. :smith:

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

For sure, it's just a fine distinction that a lot of people don't make at all. With the extent that Kazerad's participated in discussions about it thus far I'm hopeful he'll be a little more sensitive with that type of material in the future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

Kazerad posted:

I probably won't be getting much more sensitive about it. I've probably said this elsewhere in the thread, but I kind of like playing with fire. I personally think the slut-shaming is an important part of her character, and I've found a certain percentage of people really respect that I leave it in (rather than creating a character who is messed up in more socially acceptable ways).
It's a fine aspect of the character, I don't think it should just abruptly never mentioned again or anything, but there's a lot of different ways of discussing it that carry different messages, even within the context of a second-person story with a biased narrator. Honestly I'd be happy if just "Katia got drunk and raped" wasn't a punchline again.

Also for what it's worth I think it's mitigated to a great degree by how sympathetic and likable you've made the character, so, you know, props for that :unsmith:

Kazerad posted:

I think it's a mistake to single out the slut-shaming on its own, though. The way I see it, one of Katia's major character flaws is that she bases her entire self-opinion off the views of others: the smallest compliment overjoys her and harsh words devastate her because she takes them both as objective measures of he self-worth. As far as she's concerned, someone saying she's a worthless slut means she that's what is, and her character is presumably shaped by years of that.
I think this is a great take on it and the more this idea comes through in the comic the better. A lot of it's gonna depend on how things resolve--the ending is your thematic capstone

Kazerad posted:

Personally I think the racism aspects are darker than the slut-shaming ones. It's easy to disregard when dealing with elves and cat people, but the way she casually drops terms like "hideous catlike fingers" or describes herself with words like "subhuman" shows a certain degree of racism against herself. While it's mostly used for humor like everything else, it plays into that whole somewhat saddening central theme that Katia has let everyone else's opinions shape who she is.
Yeah, it's darker if you live in Tamriel, but for readers who live on Earth, cat people don't exist. It'd be different if it was some Tolkienian stand-in style racism where Khajiits clearly represented some real-life ethnic group, but it's not really. Meanwhile women do exist and all the poo poo Katia catches for being a woman is exactly the same as in real life.

Incidentally, I thought the "hideous catlike fingers" line was hilarious, but interestingly it's a good example of those situations where it can be tough to distinguish between character voice and author voice--I read it as you poking fun at the inherent ridiculousness of cat-people (and maybe at the portion of readers who like her a little too much yadadamean) rather than Katia being self-hating.

Kazerad posted:

I know you're mostly just concerned for any readers who will be alienated or upset by the undertones, but I don't think you have to worry about it. From my extensive reader-monitoring I get the impression that most people do make that connection that it's an aspect of her character. A kind of unsettling one, but some people like that.
I'm alienated and upset by the undertones, and at least a few other people in this thread have mentioned it too, reader-monitoring notwithstanding. Obviously it's not a dealbreaker or anything, and like I said the real skeezy stuff is mostly around the beginning, but it's several people who've brought it up at this point (even if I end up hemorrhaging text about it every time someone does haha).

Good luck getting the site back online!

Haledjian fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 12, 2012

• Locked thread