Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

~*I Sparkle You Sparkle*~
If I were Hussie I'd be kind of annoyed that someone took my thing wholesale and dropped it on their cat-people video game comic. Does he have any thoughts about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

It just seemed really unrelated as far as fan work goes, to me. But it also seems like he's quite okay with all that. :)

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

Kazerad posted:

If you can go into details I would love to hear it. Creativity is a word that is thrown around very haphazardly, and few people really explain what they mean by it. This especially bothers me with artists, who I swear seem to view creativity as a synonym for randomness.

Well I'll pop in too. You're copying Hussie's drawing and animating style and you're using Oblivion's characters and world setting. You said it yourself you've efficiently gathered fans from elsewhere, but you haven't, really. Hussie and Bethesda did all of that work for you. Creativity is what you use to try and create an original thing, and that wasn't even on your agenda it seems like. :/ There's more to making something than internet readership.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

Kazerad posted:

Don't get me wrong; I'm not speaking against originality. I do, however, think it is harmful to believe that more originality is necessarily better. Originality is a very powerful but potentially dangerous tool in any creator's repertoire. By definition, it's an avoidance of existing ideas. When people view this as something they need to maximize, it leads to nonconformism for the sake of nonconformism. Sometimes, existing ideas (or aspects of them) simply work well for your purposes and you should use them. No points are awarded for reinventing the wheel.

<I did read it all just savin' space>

Well. . . yeah, I guess doing something original is 'dangerous' in the sense that not everyone will like it. But that's it. I think that reader interest is not the best gauge to the success of a work, I mean look at DeviantArt. Some people will favorite and convince themselves that they actually love anything that has Sonic in it without even really looking at it. If you don't put any Sonics in there you've got no guarantees, but at least you'd know they actually liked something you did if it gave them any pause.

Haledjian posted:

Is this really so terrible? Scott McCloud made a big deal out of how the internet was going to change the way we read and interacted with comics, but most webcomics are still doing the x-weekly box-of-panels format. The MSPA format is one of the first I've seen that genuinely could only ever exist online. It's pretty compelling in that regard. It's a great idea, of course people are going to copy it, especially within the insular community of its forums. Some might even be better than the original. Isn't that how music genres get made?

Oh no, I'm not talking about the CYOA format, which is already an established genre and nobody really owns that. I'm just put off by this guy's efforts to make it look just like something Hussie drew. The actual drawing style doesn't have any impact on this particular genre.

All said I do appreciate that you came here for discussion, Kazerad. I'm not meaning to argue for you to turn the direction of Prequel around or anything, it just got me thinking.

The Worst Unicorn
Nov 4, 2009

Black Huntress posted:

Yeah, this really does seem like ~original~ furries getting sore at a 'derivative' one for being more popular. I do not know a thing about Morrowind and quite like Prequel, though I worry this thread as spoiled me on the Kvatch thing.

:psyduck: Or maybe it's all discussion about a comic in a comic's discussion thread. It's not personal.

• Locked thread