Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Eggie posted:

Hopefully along the way to town Katia gets attacked by Gro-Upp or some wolves or something and she only just reaches Kvatch with the last beat of her heart... Quill-Weave's letter in hand. :keke:

Except she turns out okay.

What the gently caress.

I like this adventure but I refuse to ever re-read it because seeing this constant pattern of "Things are bad, things get better, Katia's life is looking good, oh wait no it's not" is incredibly depressing.

I do like the way the author is handling suggestions though, where he has a definite path he's taking and just letting suggestions guide it along the way as opposed to some other adventures where the author lets the readers get carried away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

ArfJason posted:

A tit bounce animation and a pole dancing minigame.

Wait there was a pole dancing minigame? I was pretty sure I explored everywhere I could, where did I miss this?

gently caress now I'm worried I missed other stuff.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Pakled posted:

Talk to the dancing guy off to the right in the arena

Oh okay, I didn't realize you could talk to people more than once for different lines until about halfway through anyway and but never thought about that though.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Dolash posted:

Psh, if she'd listened to her subconscious more often she wouldn't be in this mess!

Actually on reflection it's probably been roughly 50/50 between "disasters caused by subconscious suggestions" and "disasters caused by pointedly ignoring subconscious suggestions". New statistic counters, please.

The one time I went to the suggestion thread the last 2 pages were about shipping using troll romance terminology. There were about 10 posts making actual suggestions that weren't "go get drunk and gently caress *insert character here*". I don't know how it is now but Kaz you are the man for sorting through the bullshit there. I wouldn't want that job.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Update.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Okay, good to know I'm not the only one who didn't understand what CHIM was, even after reading that OP. So if I have it right, CHIM is what an npc achieves when they realize that they're in a video game. It drives most npcs with this knowledge mad, but if they are able to retain their individuality they basically become like Player Characters, and are able to control anything and everything but don't want to take over the world because they know they're just in a video game and it won't really matter anyway.

:psyduck: Do I have this right? What the gently caress?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Kazerad posted:

Yeah, it has its good moments, and now isn't really one of them. I think there's just one person who keeps veering it off-topic; I'm gonna go see if I can get a moderator to take care of that or something.

It could always be worse. You could be running the Be The Sea-Dweller Lowblood thread.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Grapplejack posted:

The Mspa fanbase is creepy and weird. It's best not to.

It's not that the fanbase is being creepy, it's that the story's gotten too popular and the mspa forums have an unspoken rule of "anything important enough to be said will be said within the 100 pages". When the thread hits 100 pages, the mods step in and lock it. But that particular thread has so many people posting in it that the author had to make a discussion thread on some other forum. In the past he wanted to finish up a plot point before the thread hit 100 pages but it was so bad he had to make big huge posts with large font red text to get everyone's attention. In the current thread, a mod came in and had to hand out nearly 2 pages worth of probations to get everybody to shut the gently caress up because the author had already said he didn't need any more suggestions for the time being.

There's one dude in particular who's pretty cool otherwise but has this habit of saying completely off the wall assumptions and statements that derail the thread for pages. People post the discussion thread all the time in a vain attempt to get people to go there, but people on that site are loving retarded. That thread's the only fan adventure I follow besides Prequel, I don't want to see the community kill it.

quote:

Also, is being a Khajiit that uses fire magic anything like being a cat in heat?
Kaz I know you said you try to get everyone's suggestions in but even acknowledging this kind of stuff is just going to invite more people to do it. On another note, does Katia still have to be insulted to do magic or does she have the hang of it?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpArShC7RXk

Kaz you are definitely in the big boys club now. First Tumblr ragequit and now you've got people making fan music?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I made a Khajit named Katia in Oblivion a while ago, and promptly forgot about it. I've been coming back to it the past few days, and just found out how to steal effectively (I've really new at this) and join the Thieves Guild. Since then, I went on a rampage and halfway through it realized that I was breaking into people's homes and stealing nothing but alcohol. I am the Robin Hood of wine. :buddy:

So thanks for getting me into Elder Scrolls games, Kaz. Please keep making Prequel forever.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I feel like I missed something here. The flash starts and I'm supposed to get something for Sigrid because she asked me, but I don' remember anyone asking Katia for something?

Make Venison and Shocking Punch secondary mascots for Prequel tia

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

E: ^^^^ That explains it. :v:

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

For some reason all the text was written under the assumption that you'd go left and talk to Sigrid upstairs before doing pretty much anything. She tells Katia to go fetch an avocado.

I could have sword when I refreshed the page and went straight to her instead of dicking around I got the "what did you want again?" line instead of the introduction. But checking it now it's fine. :confused:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

pandaK posted:

Also Ruby Quest wasn't hosed up in the sense that the main character continuously gets hosed over by circumstance. Also you should read it it's really good.

This guy knows where it's at. Just finished reading it, it was pretty amazing.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

On that same note, from the PYF quotes thread:

seebs posted:

Actual content: Most cats can be rebooted. If you've ever had to deal with a cat who wanted to mess with something, they can be pretty persistant in trying to get at it after you hide it. Solution: Reboot the cat. Basically, you have to give it a handful of stimuli too fast for it to process them without forgetting what it was doing. For most cats I've had, that's about three things. My usual process: Pick the cat up, blow in its face, drop it (not like throwing it, just let it down pretty fast), then snap your fingers once on each side of its head.

If this works, the cat will just sit there for a few seconds, then maybe lick itself, and walk off. It will not go back to trying to do what it was doing. If it does, add another step to the process, and you'll probably have something that works for that cat. Most cats, it seems to be 3-4 items, though.

(This may not sound useful, but seriously, it has been a HUGE win for me.)

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Yeah, we should just quit reading prequel too since it came from the mspa forums in the first place and nothing good can come out of there ever, making prequel retroactively atrocious.

Sorry Kaz, them's the breaks when you associate yourself with Homestuck. You'll have to renounce everything mspa related if you want to get us true Prequel fans back.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 28, 2012

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Soonmot posted:

I've never read Homestuck and have no opinion on it. What I have read are the offical Prequel suggestion thread and it is atrocious. This happens almost every time I read a non-SA forum associated with something I like.

Maybe you like unmoderated creepy fan posts, good for you. For those of us who do not, the solution is to avoid those forums. It has nothing to do with any "true fan" strawman bullshit.

I'm not being as serious as you seem to think I'm being. :ssh:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Zenzirouj posted:

The comic really hasn't felt like a CYOA to me for a while now, so I think that's where people keep running into problems. It's pretty much a webcomic in which suggestions are occasionally asked for at this point. I never bothered with suggestions so it doesn't really matter to me either way.

The way I've been thinking about it is that the commands people make are more like subconscious thoughts, so Katia gets them but treats them like a random thought that pops into her head. If you look at it like this it actually works a little better and explains why Katia refuses to respond to some things like how she's selectively ignoring basically half or more of the commands from the last few updates. She knows in the back of her mind that something's wrong, but she's just so drat excited about being a mage and getting into the guild that she's willing to ignore those negative thoughts for a little while.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Holy poo poo, I lost it at the 2 full pages of cat puns. That thread's alright.

Especially this one:

quote:

oh no she cat-took all of your cat-things

you’re a cat

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I would be more inclined to agree with the circle thing if there was any visible progress being made. Katia gets a little farther along each time, but right now that's more due to the goodwill of others (Asotil demanding she practice her magic, people at the church giving her clothes). Has Katia as a character really changed that much since we started the story? I honestly wouldn't be surprised if in an update or two (after we get past the "feeling sorry for herself and trying to figure out what to do next" stage) Katia just goes and gets drunk again.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

IronSaber posted:

I count being able to cast fireballs a new change.
I don't mean things she can do, I mean changes in her as a character. Is she getting more mature and making better choices? No, of course not. This latest thing with the mages guild had everyone everywhere saying that it was a bad idea to go there. Not just people making suggestions, everyone, including any character in the area when the Kvatch mages guild was brought up. Yet Katia still decided to go anyway.

That's not making better choices, the Katia from the beginning of the story would have done exactly the same thing as our current one, just sans fireballs.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

She cried and we did nothing.
:smith:

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

TPNMVZ posted:

I noticed this little comic linked from that webcast interview with Kaz, and I felt it deserves to be linked here again:
linked for size

I like that comic, but I'd like it a lot more if people would stop bringing it up as if it somehow invalidates everyone's ideas of railroading.

People think Prequel gets railroaded because the way it's presented at first glance is option A, where everyone's driving the car at the same time. From a storytelling perspective that is the worst idea ever because people are idiots and there would be no guarantee that you would ever get to your goal, which is why option C is the way it actually works.

But look at it like this, let's pretend I'm a random person who reads Prequel, and let's also assume I know how mspa fan adventures work. Coming across Prequel initially and reading from the beginning, actions that Katia will do are pretty much anything suggested unless they're something really weird or dumb. But as the story goes on, it becomes more and more clear to me that no matter what the suggestion is, Katia will fail eventually. Well, whatever. That could just be the theme of the story, right?

But what just happened was completely unavoidable. There was no way for Katia to not end up in this current situation and not for evident lack of trying on the commands that actually got posted, not counting anything that may have been in the suggestion thread that didn't make it. Any character introduced so far that the Kvatch mages guild has been brought up with has replied in a very negative light, and ~90% of the suggestions made dealing with the guild were mentioning that Katia should probably get the gently caress out of there. Katia decided, against all efforts that I as an average reader have seen, to stay in this situation.

The problem is that in this situation involving an average reader, that person very likely will never make suggestions or input commands, and as they are not following the mspa thread will not know whether the majority of commands are trying to screw over Katia or if Kaz is just cherry-picking commands that followed the theme of "something's wrong here, you should probably get out but if you're staying...". To anyone like this, yes, Prequel would seem railroaded as gently caress.

It also doesn't help that the link on the page says "Submit Commands", implying that Katia will actually, you know, follow what they're saying. It would be a better fit to have "Submit Suggestions" instead, or "Click this link to put subconscious thoughts in Katia's head that she may or may not follow, since most people don't act on every single impulse that runs through their head anyway".

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

KingKalamari posted:

It also really doesn't help that most of the submitted commands seem to be entirely missing the point of storytelling. Like, 90% of the commands that are posted seem to be some variant of "Do everything completely perfectly and live happily ever after". If Kazerad didn't deviate from the suggestions there wouldn't be a story.

I know that, and you know that.

The average person who finds the comic and reads through isn't going to know that, and isn't going to know that the comic is going in circles intentionally. When I find a comic I give it a read through and then decide if I want to keep reading or not. What I don't do is scour the internet for any information regarding the author and his intent and thoughts tackling the comic. If I wasn't reading this thread and looking at how Kaz is deliberately working this, I would have stopped reading a while ago.

The point I'm trying to make is that while people crying that Kaz is railroading the comic are wrong, from their perspective they have a point and calling them idiots for not following every word that comes out of Kaz's mouth is also incorrect. I'm not saying that people don't realize if Katia just suddenly did everything perfectly that there wouldn't be a story, I'm saying that circular storytelling in a format where readers help drive the story has all its faults magnified and is generally frustrating.

Even if people realize that the cycle has to continue, it makes contributions feel like they have less value. Sure, we can have some funnier stuff happen like Katia deciding to jump out of a window, but at the end of the cycle the same situation will take place no matter what anyone suggests.

E: didn't refresh the page and see that there were more posts between what I was responding to because I am stupid

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

The people complaining about it seem to disagree with you.

E: Actually never mind, I don't want to poo poo up the thread so I'll just drop it.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 7, 2012

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Also the dude has a tramp stamp of himself.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Update!

Summary: ":smith:"

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Maple Leaf posted:

Holy poo poo, Kazerad.

Jesus christ I want to empty quote this forever.

Crazy javascript/CSS witchcraft, indeed.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Cat Mattress posted:

Once you've clicked the blue arrow to reveal the boss' ultimate form, open your browser's javascript console and type this magical incantation:

omgwtfishappening();

(omgwt fish appening)

The effect is funny.

Everyone do this. I don't know about other browsers, but if you're in Chrome just hit Ctrl+Shift+J and copy/paste that line in.

Also, is the text at the end supposed to have a bunch of squares in it? Some of it's Zalgo'd, some isn't: http://i.imgur.com/Au2Wt.jpg

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

There's a little arrow in the top right corner that appears when something's changed and you can scroll back up. I didn't even know about it until I saw a comment pointing it out when I went to see if that was the end. My monitor's a decent size, and I've been maximizing the browser for the past few updates so I completely missed it.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

idonotlikepeas posted:

The relentless use of "bleep" is pretty awesome too. (the trick is adult Bleep-rated)

Followed by him going into detail explaining exactly what the pineapple and yoyo are for.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Furries want to be a naked cat and also do other naked cats and people who are naked cats. I guess that makes you like half furry?

Alt: there are furries and then there are

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Bobulus posted:

bring up your hub and you'll get an exact time, which almost completely useless for any ingame purposes.

I tried to play Oblivion once, getting the exact time was the thing I used the most because all I did was unlock fencers and proceed to rob everyone blind. Making sure it was late enough for everyone to be at home/asleep was pretty much mandatory.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I cannot believe people paid sixty thousand dollars for merchandise of this comic, only to have the creator pull the exact same poo poo homestuck did and waste any semblance of hype or momentum the comic had by staggering updates further and further apart until straight up not updating for nearly a year. You'd think maybe a person would try to find ways to avoid making the same mistakes as the thing they're emulating, but nah full speed ahead I guess

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

For the love of god please lock this thread so people stop asking this every few months without reading the last couple pages of the thread

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Someone can just post in the general webcomics thread or something or make a new one should this comic get back off the ground.

Literally anything else would be preferable to the last year's worth of posts bumping the thread every few weeks

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

You got me, the three posts I've made here in the last month sure are the same as seeing this thread pop up repeatedly for nearly a year with no actual updates or discussion.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Wrist Watch posted:

You got me, the three posts I've made here in the last month sure are the same as seeing this thread pop up repeatedly for nearly a year with no actual updates or discussion.

Nice meltdown

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

IronSaber posted:

Can't really make a backlog for a comic that takes reader suggestions in it.

It's almost reader driven comics live off of momentum or something??? And the reason many of them use simple art or art that can be copy/pasted may have something to do with that?????

Anyhow, I'd love to keep posting but I just had a great idea for my next animation: rotoscoping! I'm sure this process whose own creator discovered was time consuming and laborious in 1918 is going to help me really crank this next update out in no time at all, while simultaneously dealing with the aftermath of a successful crowdfunding and whatever other projects I'm working on in addition to my normal real life job since there's no way I'm making enough from this for it to be my only job!

Wish me luck!

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 2, 2016

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Wicker Man posted:

So why is there a lot of porn for this?

Well for one it's a cute stylization of a cat lady from a popular game series.

Also Kazerad keeps buying advertising on sites where people draw porn of his comic, linking them back to his site, tacitly giving them the okay on drawing it and encouraging more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I just remembered something. People gave Kaz $61,000 on indiegogo for merchandise of this comic. This was one of the stretch goals.

Good thing you put that gotcha in there so you can point to it and talk about how you never promised per se you'd update more or ever again! Don't worry, I'm sure if you try to do another merch run you'll pull comparable numbers again after abandoning your comic for a year. Hope you didn't actually quit your job to live the lucrative life of a webcomic artist, gambling your salary once a year on a big merch drive.

Also I never noticed that line before comparing the previous crowdfunding project getting 8 times what he asked for, which sounds amazing until you look at it and see it was only asking for $500. "Making 8 times what I asked for" sounds a bit more impressive than "I made $4,000" I guess

• Locked thread