Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Perhaps instead of spending the sum total of your time on gimmicky Adobe Flash poo poo or Unity poo poo or whatever the hell it is you are doing, you could instead plan those things very far ahead of where you are at in the comic and continue to make normal updates so when they drop they're a pleasant surprise and not a moment in which the reader thanks the loving Creator that you've finished that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Kazerad posted:

Aw, that's not entirely accurate.

I like to try things I haven't done before. Originally it was a sort of research thing, like "someday I'm going to be a real webcomic author and have to know what sort of stuff people like/dislike!", but at this point I think I just kind of enjoy it. Sometimes it leads to these situations where something turns out to be ridiculously hard and takes months and months, and I'm not going to defend it and say "well, this is actually a good business decision", because it's not. Exploring new approaches is just kind of fun, and enough of my audience seems to like the experimentation that it is sustainable.

I do feel bad when this causes massive delays, because I like updating the story, and I like when people enjoy it. However, the freedom to try out new styles and approaches is something I really enjoy, and which does not exist in most other long-running projects. Like, I can tell you for a fact that I'm never again doing something a graphically complex as this update, but I'm still glad that I had the opportunity to explore this path and realize it was a horrible idea. There's a weird sense of exploration and excitement to this kind of thing that I never really expected when I got drunk and started a webcomic. I always thought of webcomic as, like, writing a script and then painstakingly illustrating it every day for the next ten years.

Stop doing stupid poo poo you saw in loving Homestuck you moron and make an actual comic

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I gotta hand it to Kazerad. He's got dedication, even if that dedication is to copying Homestuck's flash games and animations at the cost of his fanbase as every slowly forgets this is even a thing.

• Locked thread