Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I kind of thought that was the character's self-loathing being expressed hyperbolically through internal monologue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I got the impression that she was the narrator, or that the narrator was relaying her thoughts, not their own. I mean, one of the main themes of the story is how much of a failure she thinks she is and how much she hates herself.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Oxxidation posted:

Pretty much. The narration is basically first-person with the pronouns mixed up.

I think it's an example of the rare second person perspective.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Do you mean "Oblivion fanfiction about a slutty alcoholic cat"?

It's a bit crude, but I think it's just a silly description. We could go into a huge discussion about devaluing words and patriarchy and double standards, but I think it might be reading a bit too much into it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Creativity can mean more than just originality. While it's somewhat derivative by nature, it can still be creative to explore different themes and ideas in existing settings. No one will ever call it great art, but it can be interesting.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Can we please just quit responding to this guy? He's obviously got no intention of having any kind of intelligent discussion in regards to this, he just wants to come in here and lord it over us how much more cultured and well-read he is. If we stop responding to him he'll get bored and go bother people in TVIV about how they're all losers for watching stuff on TV while he's out living in the real world, ma-a-a-a-an.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The way I see it, there are two reasons to produce fan-fiction. The bad, more common reason is basically self-insertion fantasy. That generally produces low-quality fiction that goes nowhere and serves no purpose. The better, less common reason is to hone your writing skill without having to create a setting or characters out of whole cloth. It's the literary equivalent of training wheels, letting you get the hang of writing in a safe, known world, perhaps allowing you to explore themes or ideas that weren't necessarily presented in the original work. Like the self-insertion fan-fiction, it can never really go anywhere, since eventually you're doomed to run into the copyright wall, but it can serve a purpose; at worst, it's practice and at best it can still entertain people.

I'm not sure of its worth as market research or audience building, but I wouldn't be prepared to dismiss the idea out of hand.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Dolash posted:

That just makes me wonder if there's a specific soldier patrolling in Oblivion that Asotil is meant to represent.

Try hanging out in the Countess' place and see if any soldiers show up and dump a load of dead bodies there. Then follow that guy.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I went and bought me some Oblivion because of this comic. Then I went and killed me a mudcrab. It was oddly satisfying.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FutureSushi posted:

I was considering grabbing it and Fallout 3 at Costco for under 20 each but I recall echoes of people saying the 360 versions of both had problems so I didn't yet

I got both of them for the PC on Steam. Oblivion was $24 but Fallout 3 was something ridiculous like $5.

And now, between the two of them, I've got Patrick Stewart, Sean Bean, and Liam Neeson in my video games. It's a nerd hat trick.

EDIT: And now Oblivion and Morrowind are on sale for $14. gently caress you, Steam, gently caress you so, so much.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 5, 2011

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I guess even necromancers in the service of an unholy lich bent on world domination have to draw the line somewhere.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Fireball technology has advanced by leaps and bounds in the two centuries in between games!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Piedmon Sama posted:

Anybody else suspicious why a vampire would be grocery shopping? She had a whole bag, not just the jelly for her ploy.

I bet she was buying them for someone else~

Going shopping is a normal human thing to do. So is keeping a well-stocked pantry. Unfortunately, all the food seems to go bad before she gets a chance to eat it, for some reason, so she has to go out and buy more.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
MOD CHALLENGE: Katia, for creating a lovely, pointless E/N thread, you now have to escape from prison, find the emperor's heir, and defeat the demonic forces threatening to overrun the world. Either that or take a photo of yourself re-enacting the bathtub scene in The Big Lebowski in which you play the part of the ferret. You have twenty-four hours to do this. If you don't do either of those things before the deadline you'll be probated. If anyone succeeds in doing either of those things before you do, they'll get to choose your punishment.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Well, Homestuck had it so that when an animation was done, a little button appeared that let you go back to the beginning. Not a bad way to let people know there's no more to see.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Why not go whole hog and have the lines voiced? I'm sure there are readers who'd be happy to provide readings.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
That only works if you're sent to a prison where they tell you you'll never see daylight again. Plus, I'm not sure they have menthol Kools in Tamriel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Can we just not go there? Please?

• Locked thread