Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Longinus00 posted:

Error messages never have to be useful to the user. Be happy you get an error message at all rather than a segfault or something.

Just feel happy you don't have to deal with compiler error messages.
Oh God, no compiler error message is anywhere near as bad as Ruby's super-helpful "unexpected kEND" parser errors that tell you that, somewhere in this 2000-line file, someone forgot to end a control structure somewhere maybe.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

We had one of our users stop by to show us some goofy error she ran into one day .. I cant remember the exact wording, nor can I find it again but it went something like :

"An error has occurred where no error should have occurred"

:iiam:
To seek out new life, and new civilizations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

AlphaDog posted:

My friend had a job which involved translating Japanese-English program comments and output into actual-English (that's horribly unclear, I mean that the original Japanese programmers would try to write in English, and then he would have to turn it into actual English, becasue hey, they're programmers not translaters). He said his favorite thing that he saw again and again was the phrase "It is working, but you may be disappointed".
To be fair, the Japanese do have a reputation as being rather small.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Someone on Reddit submitted this gem yesterday:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

pixaal posted:

Wait how is this even possible. Time 0 is the last moment in 1969.
The interesting thing is that UTC didn't exist on January 1, 1970. :420:

• Locked thread