Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
msj817
Apr 1, 2003

Please help me help you forget about Jozy.
What is our future GK pecking order after Timmy? Guzan/Cervi/Hamid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mafiostasso
Jul 23, 2007

I'm greasing up my whoozits!
Now I'm angry I didn't get around to coming in with the Clark prediction like I meant to . . . Had to assume he was going to give Bundesliga players love no matter the checkered past.

That said, I expected more brainmelting over it than is posted here.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
A lot of people think Timmy has one, <maybe> even two World Cup cycles left in him. I have nothing against Guzan but it wouldn't shock me to see Hamid or another youngster overtake him in ~5 years.

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
Probably throw Sean Johnson, and if he lives up to the hype at all, Zach MacMath onto that list.

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

msj817 posted:

What is our future GK pecking order after Timmy? Guzan/Cervi/Hamid?

Tally Hall, all day errrry day.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
I don't even know if Cervi would be in there. He's never gotten a professional game in and he's not even capped.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt)

fire Klinsmann

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
U-20 Josh Gatt scores for his Norwegian club: http://travismclark.com/2011/08/04/josh-gatt-goal-vs-ik-start/

I've seen enough; call him up in September

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Howdy posted:

Probably throw Sean Johnson, and if he lives up to the hype at all, Zach MacMath onto that list.

This. Johnson is the one standout on my god-forsaken team this year.

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.
Beasley, Beckerman and Buddle are pretty old. I like Buddle though, so whatever.

Octoduck fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 4, 2011

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 156 days!

Edgar Castillo (Club America)

Hahahaha oh god

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
Ricardo Clark must have some amazing blackmail material on all of our coaches

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Mafiostasso posted:

Now I'm angry I didn't get around to coming in with the Clark prediction like I meant to . . . Had to assume he was going to give Bundesliga players love no matter the checkered past.

That said, I expected more brainmelting over it than is posted here.

Eintracht Frankfurt is in the 2nd Bundesliga and they've played like poo poo so far (a win against Fuerth nonwithstanding). Clark only played in the 1-1 draw against St. Pauli and he was dire...

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Octoduck posted:

Beasley, Beckerman and Buddle are pretty old. I like Buddle though, so whatever.

Beckerman is probably too old to have a chance in hell at 2014, but he's been one of the best holding mids in the MLS for years. I never understood why he was never given a shot over someone like loving Clark.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

joshtothemaxx posted:

Beckerman is probably too old to have a chance in hell at 2014, but he's been one of the best holding mids in the MLS for years. I never understood why he was never given a shot over someone like loving Clark.

I've always respected Beckerman's play - seems like a steady, calm presence would help out our back line a whole lot.

I think this first lineup is only the beginning. Glad to see some new faces. Maybe Klinsmann wants to reevaluate everyone up close, which means that in upcoming matches we will see another set of reruns and new faces. I can respect that. Hell, Klejstan actually turned out to be pretty serviceable in the Gold Cup.

But I will never forgive Clark's terrible play against Ghana last year.

I still want him to call up George John and/or Ugo Ihemelu.

Brek Shea should be a permanent fixture on the USMNT from now on anyway.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

RocketLunatic posted:

I've always respected Beckerman's play - seems like a steady, calm presence would help out our back line a whole lot.

I think this first lineup is only the beginning. Glad to see some new faces. Maybe Klinsmann wants to reevaluate everyone up close, which means that in upcoming matches we will see another set of reruns and new faces. I can respect that. Hell, Klejstan actually turned out to be pretty serviceable in the Gold Cup.

But I will never forgive Clark's terrible play against Ghana last year.

I still want him to call up George John and/or Ugo Ihemelu.

Brek Shea should be a permanent fixture on the USMNT from now on anyway.

Ugo, really? For what. That guy will be 30+ come 2014.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Tigren posted:

Ugo, really? For what. That guy will be 30+ come 2014.

John and Ihemulu play pretty drat well together. I could imagine they would bring a lot of stability to our back line while we work in Chandler and Lichaj.

I guess the thing I am missing about Klinsmann is what his preference of play is. This website thinks he might prefer function over... impressiveness in the back four, whatever the hell that means. I don't think this first call up is any indication of where he will go with our strategy, but if he wants a couple of guys who play smart, solid defense and can do it together, why not steal some of FC Dallas' defense?

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/08/01/what-will-the-usmnt-lineup-look-like-under-klinsmann/

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.
So what is so great about Brek Shea? I have only seen him play a handful of times, and once for the USMNT, and he was pretty invisible.

msj817
Apr 1, 2003

Please help me help you forget about Jozy.

Octoduck posted:

So what is so great about Brek Shea? I have only seen him play a handful of times, and once for the USMNT, and he was pretty invisible.

Nothing is great yet, he's still young but what is good about him is his pace and creativity on the ball, his passing, his finishing and most importantly, hurr.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

RocketLunatic posted:

John and Ihemulu play pretty drat well together. I could imagine they would bring a lot of stability to our back line while we work in Chandler and Lichaj.

I guess the thing I am missing about Klinsmann is what his preference of play is. This website thinks he might prefer function over... impressiveness in the back four, whatever the hell that means. I don't think this first call up is any indication of where he will go with our strategy, but if he wants a couple of guys who play smart, solid defense and can do it together, why not steal some of FC Dallas' defense?

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/08/01/what-will-the-usmnt-lineup-look-like-under-klinsmann/

Yup, nothing like bringing in two new guys to work in that stability. How about playing Lichaj and Chandler in order to develop, you know, Lichaj and Chandler.

I don't think you're alone in missing Klinsmann's direction because the guy hasn't even coached a game yet. Give him a chance and then you'll see where he's going, jeez.

Tigren fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 5, 2011

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Pearce and Torres must be pretty happy. I hope Torres as gotten over choking in big matches though.

I can't for the life of me figure DMB, and I'll never forgive Clark for costing us the WC and Orozco for his Olympic red card.

Nice to see Buddle though. I don't think Bradley ever gave him a fair shake. At least Bornstein and Findley aren't there.

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
I have no problems with DMB as long as he stays away from wing back, shrug.

Clark and Orozco can gently caress off straight to hell though.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

joshtothemaxx posted:

Beckerman will only be 32 come 2014 so he definitely has a shot. He's only a year younger than Clark.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
So why not Gomez?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
And Davies for that matter?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ahhhhhhhhhh he called up Clark! hilarious

E: I've always loved Beckerman, yay

wicka fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 5, 2011

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Tigren posted:

And Davies for that matter?

I'd say he doesn't like the diving but it is Klinsmann we're talking about here.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Tigren posted:

Yup, nothing like bringing in two new guys to work in that stability. How about playing Lichaj and Chandler in order to develop, you know, Lichaj and Chandler.

I think the problem already is that there isn't much stability on our back line with age and injury, especially at left and right back. At this point, bringing in new players is not going to upset whatever stability there is. Our only stability is goalkeeper... and maybe Bocanegra, and with him, for how long? One or two more years?

Bearproof
Dec 18, 2008

"Tell me how you play and I will tell you who you are"
DaMarcus loving Beasley.

:bang:

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Akileese posted:

Beckerman will only be 32 come 2014 so he definitely has a shot. He's only a year younger than Clark.

poo poo I thought he was like 32 now. I stand corrected.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Isn't Ugo capped for Canada though? Also might as well give Wynne a look at CB if you're going that route (please don't we need him here).

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Moktaro posted:

Isn't Ugo capped for Canada though? Also might as well give Wynne a look at CB if you're going that route (please don't we need him here).

Ugo's wikipedia page says he has had 2 caps with the US already:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugo_Ihemelu

I guess the question would be - if you could pick Chad Marshall or Ugo Ihemelu for your squad, who would you pick? Or does it matter?

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

RocketLunatic posted:

I think the problem already is that there isn't much stability on our back line with age and injury, especially at left and right back. At this point, bringing in new players is not going to upset whatever stability there is. Our only stability is goalkeeper... and maybe Bocanegra, and with him, for how long? One or two more years?

I think Lichaj has established himself as one of our fullbacks, not for a lack of options but because he plays well and has been growing consistently. I hear great things about Chandler, but I honestly haven't seen him play for his club. It really looks like we have options for fullback, despite all the naysaying about that position (which to me was more of a Bornstein issue). Centerback looks to be a bigger issue.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Octoduck posted:

I think Lichaj has established himself as one of our fullbacks, not for a lack of options but because he plays well and has been growing consistently. I hear great things about Chandler, but I honestly haven't seen him play for his club. It really looks like we have options for fullback, despite all the naysaying about that position (which to me was more of a Bornstein issue). Centerback looks to be a bigger issue.

Tim Ream and Omar Gonzalez would like to have a word. They'll both be on the WC14 roster, mark my words.

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

Tigren posted:

Tim Ream and Omar Gonzalez would like to have a word. They'll both be on the WC14 roster, mark my words.

I'm not disagreeing with their potential. But having two young guys that play centerback well in the MLS is far from having the positions well covered.

edit; And it's not their fault at all. The team has been stagnating for so long that no one has really had the chance to prove themselves.

Octoduck fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 5, 2011

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
I've also still got hope that Gooch will regain his form. If he can, he'll be able to play for a few more years.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Yeah, what happened with Gooch? Did he just never come back to full fitness or is he just broken?

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Yeah, what happened with Gooch? Did he just never come back to full fitness or is he just broken?

Both, he's back from injury but never found his form again. He played in one of the matches I went to (spain or argentina, I forget which) and he just looked lost. I'm hoping he finds his form in Portugal, though I kind of doubt it.

edit: also, he was getting zero play time in Milan, and on loan with Twente he was barely involved, so it's not like he's had a lot of chances to find his form again either.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
Gooch is done guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
I hate to say it but that is probably true. It is a really lovely way to end his career as a national team member, but he is probably not ever going to get his old form back.

• Locked thread