Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Real talk, just create a separate save file for an honest fight with Lucifer if that’s what you want, then go back and grind up levels for the luck door. The incredibly strict time limit for Noah and Baal kind of forces you to power level anyway.

Reading up a bit more info says that you can just cheese them with Merciful if you want, and crits being key because half press turns are half press turns, they don't count as a full press turn.

But I will absolutely wait to do them later, no sense in going for the Big Guy at level 255 or similar :v: I was even thinking of picking back up SMT V after this and do a Newborn NG+ cause I went Secret Neutral and thus I was overlevelled for the endgame, and I can then go for Law and Chaos for the Miracles and demons with Reborn NG+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1875830/Shin_Megami_Tensei_V_Vengeance/

Steam page is up

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

stoked to play this again in turbo hd tbqh

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Also an "extended cut" trailer

https://youtu.be/WewYD9Co3wU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Naheehobino owns

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

There is one thing I'd like to ask regarding stats: what things are exactly locked behind the stat check doors in the Third Kalpa, besides the alignment doors?

Cause I guess I'd level my Mag and Vit more or less evenly, open the Mag doors, open the Str doors later when I start pumping Str and then maybe have enough levels to boost Luck to 18?

All 3 doors end up converging into the same path if that's what you're asking. It's so you have different options to advance with different builds.

Each path has its own shady broker but what they offer isn't as important as the utility Pisaca from the 1st kalpa or the Girimehkala with Pierce from the last one. 2 of them have burial chambers as Cullen said and that's pretty much it.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Petiso posted:

All 3 doors end up converging into the same path if that's what you're asking. It's so you have different options to advance with different builds.

Each path has its own shady broker but what they offer isn't as important as the utility Pisaca from the 1st kalpa or the Girimehkala with Pierce from the last one. 2 of them have burial chambers as Cullen said and that's pretty much it.

Okay, thanks! By the way, what is exactly the mapping for the stat and alignment doors? I know Luck leads to the Neutral Deathstone one that can absolutely be left for later, but where do Str and Mag lead?

Lol that they recommend a 960 for 1080p 60 FPS, either they did some work in the port or the Switch truly hates UE4.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
For sure I know some other UE4 games on Switch have the same issue as SMT4 where it takes a second or two for the high res textures to "pop in" when doing stuff like switching to close-up shots of characters in cutscenes. In SMT4 you mostly saw it in demon status screens and fusion IIRC.

For me I still haven't made up my mind about whether having better frame rate/resolution is worth having to sit at my work desk/chair the whole time.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
You could probably make a persona equivalent in a US high school but it'd have to be set in like Chicago or NYC where there are actual walkable neighborhoods and public transit. Though you'd also want to set it a few decades earlier when 3ds places existed and teenagers being out and about wasn't considered a failure of parenting.,

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 28, 2024

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Ohtsam posted:

You could probably make a persona equivalent in a US high school but it'd have to be set in like Chicago or NYC where there are actual walkable neighborhoods and public transit.

Why?
You could do a rural one with the protag being able to drive and just do the separate locales via menu just like they always are?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/73407

- The new character Yoko was considered for an appearance in the previous game, but was ultimately passed over. She will be an important character in the revenge story of this game, so her appearance is long overdue.

- The new character will allow the existing characters to show a different side from that of the Canon of Creation.

- The relationship between the characters may change significantly.

- The main character running in the sky in the PV/trailer is a new element of field exploration. Finding them will bring shortcuts, new demons, quests, and other fun.

- All demons will be equipped with some kind of characteristics, so that demons that were weak in the previous game may become stronger through new usages and combinations.

- Level compensation has been revised so that even low-level players can defeat strong enemies with a little ingenuity.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Thank god!!!!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kild posted:

http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/73407

- The new character Yoko was considered for an appearance in the previous game, but was ultimately passed over. She will be an important character in the revenge story of this game, so her appearance is long overdue.

- The new character will allow the existing characters to show a different side from that of the Canon of Creation.

- The relationship between the characters may change significantly.

- The main character running in the sky in the PV/trailer is a new element of field exploration. Finding them will bring shortcuts, new demons, quests, and other fun.

- All demons will be equipped with some kind of characteristics, so that demons that were weak in the previous game may become stronger through new usages and combinations.

- Level compensation has been revised so that even low-level players can defeat strong enemies with a little ingenuity.

If the relationship of the characters change a lot, does that mean the characters get actual focus and development this time? That be pretty awesome. I might give it another try if so.

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Real talk, just create a separate save file for an honest fight with Lucifer if that’s what you want, then go back and grind up levels for the luck door. The incredibly strict time limit for Noah and Baal kind of forces you to power level anyway.

I dunno if I'd say Baal ha a time limit. Sure, if you can wipe her out real quick the fight is a joke, but I like her to survive and bring in her buddies. It makes her absolutely the most challenging Reason boss but not in a lovely way.

Of course I've never actually depleted her health before she summons her two friends. I assume it's easiest if you are a Phys build, and I've never had a Phys build Demifiend. But yeah, between her and Lucifer and Pierce, the game so blatantly favors Phys by the end.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 28, 2024

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

never played smtv before, getting slightly hype

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno if I'd say Baal ha a time limit. Sure, if you can wipe her out real quick the fight is a joke, but I like her to survive and bring in her buddies. It makes her absolutely the most challenging Reason boss but not in a lovely way.

I was talking about the Burial chamber fight which does have a turn limit to clear, specifically 10 press turns. You pretty much have to rev up and blast her down in a single salvo of attacks, and if she survives and summons her adds then you’re not clearing that turn limit.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I think the best way to describe my feelings about the new SMTV is annoyance.
The base game's writing was such a letdown, and quite a bit of the game's events and plotting really felt undercooked, and so now we have to buy and play a new version of it to actually get the experience we should have the first time if they weren't so rushed to get the game out.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
SMT 5 had issues but it was fun and cool and if they decided to put more dev time into making more and better of it instead of a new game that's also neat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neeksy posted:

The base game's writing was such a letdown, and quite a bit of the game's events and plotting really felt undercooked, and so now we have to buy and play a new version of it to actually get the experience we should have the first time if they weren't so rushed to get the game out.

This applies to almost every single SMT game Atlus has released since Shin Megami Tensei III. (Which itself was a lot more plain on the ground before they added all the Maniax stuff.) It's understandable to be annoyed at them Pokemon Red/Yellowing basically every game they make but at this point it's so commonplace it can't surprise anyone. Even the games that didn't get a re-release often got a sequel that was mostly recycled material and mechanical updates. (DDS, Persona 2, ect.)

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Neeksy posted:

Yep this is me too. It looks like a totally new game! Good for the folks who knew better and decided to wait.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

This applies to almost every single SMT game Atlus has released since Shin Megami Tensei III. (Which itself was a lot more plain on the ground before they added all the Maniax stuff.) It's understandable to be annoyed at them Pokemon Red/Yellowing basically every game they make but at this point it's so commonplace it can't surprise anyone. Even the games that didn't get a re-release often got a sequel that was mostly recycled material and mechanical updates. (DDS, Persona 2, ect.)

I don't disagree here, but I also feel that DDS and Persona 2 are not the best examples of this phenomenon, especially DDS2.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I was talking about the Burial chamber fight which does have a turn limit to clear, specifically 10 press turns. You pretty much have to rev up and blast her down in a single salvo of attacks, and if she survives and summons her adds then you’re not clearing that turn limit.

Oh wow, I never knew that That's very interesting. Thanks for teh information.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Meowywitch posted:

never played smtv before, getting slightly hype

It kicks rear end. Only complaint from me is that the level design is fairly bland throughout most of the game. More than makes up for it in the gameplay and how rewarding exploring is. I just wish it was nicer to look at.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
SMTV was one of those games that has me entrapped for the first playthrough but doesn’t really feel as good starting over, it kind of relied on the first playthrough whimsy. I’m actually pretty hopeful for Vengeance since it looks like it’s polishing up the overall package a ton of top of loads of new content. Plus it’s hard to deny the Switch was kind of a bad fit for the game, considering it has tons of huge open world games that simply run better than SMTV’s overworld does.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neeksy posted:

I don't disagree here, but I also feel that DDS and Persona 2 are not the best examples of this phenomenon, especially DDS2.

I mean both of them are more like Apocalypse, a clear intent to reuse a bunch of stuff. It ain't a bad thing!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

I mean both of them are more like Apocalypse, a clear intent to reuse a bunch of stuff. It ain't a bad thing!

I think the point of contention is that DDS2 and Eternal Punishment are still sequels, not enhanced re-releases with (admittedly a lot of) added content.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I think DDS2 is a poor example because it's very much just Disc 2 of Digital Devil Saga. Eternal Punishment works a bit better as an example, and I think Raidou v King Abaddon even better.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

DDS2 had entirely new environments and characters and story, though?
Like, apart from the demons and the main characters, it is all pretty bespoke and new. It's a sequel and an SMT game, the demons being re-used and the main characters still being around is expected.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Namnesor posted:

I think the point of contention is that DDS2 and Eternal Punishment are still sequels, not enhanced re-releases with (admittedly a lot of) added content.

They are sequels that were designed around the idea of a game being split into two parts, more akin to Remake/Rebirth than a genuine sequel. They planned it from the start to effectively be two games made out of one. (Especially DDS which is flat-out just two games split into one.)

It boils down to "you're probably going to end up with any given Atlus game having some sort of relatively quick update or sequel unless it super bombs."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 29, 2024

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Should I finish SMTV on Switch or wait for SMTV:V? I got SMTV for Switch when I came out, but bounced off of it. I usually play RPGs for the story and it didn't really have one (at least as far as I got), and it was harder than I'm used to. I'm trying to decide if I should come back and try again, or wait for SMTV:V for a more ideal experience. Any thoughts?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Vengeance will almost certainly be easier and have more story

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Yeah Vengeance all the way. It's basically the real version of SMT V

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
if you're playing for the story, you'll probably be disappointed. Stux is the only person who really loves 5's story

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
incredible gameplay though. Near the height of the genre

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

I wasn't necessarily disappointed with the story, I just didn't see it much in the opening 5ish hours. The atmosphere and character design was top notch.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Finish 5 because 5:V's path choice happens right at the start and will have new poo poo and whole new split stuff by the mid point so might as well see the differences. You've got 3 months to beat it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

If you don't finish V, you won't be able to compare and contrast it with W.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Story in V is pretty good imo. About as good as IV and better than apocalypse but worse than Nocturne

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Finish 5 because 5:V's path choice happens right at the start and will have new poo poo and whole new split stuff by the mid point so might as well see the differences. You've got 3 months to beat it.

Yeah, that was my thought too, I just didn't know if it would still be better to wait for the quality of life additions.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Yeah 5:V allegedly has 160 hours of content across both the old (same as SMT5) and new route so you might get pretty burned out if you played all of it at once.

hatty posted:

About as good as IV and better than apocalypse

Damning with faint praise

I feel 5 really shows its influence from being done by the Etrian Odyssey director in a couple places, and the pacing of the plot is one of them. The plot only really meaningfully advances after finishing one of the main areas, which are all massive and take 15+ hours each to go through. 5 is a bit of an extreme case but in general while SMT games generally have good stories, for a lot of the games' runtime the storytelling can be pretty sparse compared to a lot of RPGs, while the real focus is more on exploration and building up your demon allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

When it comes to 5's story problems, a lot of it is simply underbaked and it feels like they only sorta finished developing one of the character arcs and didn't have time to do it for the others before they had to hit publish.