Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

Krad posted:

So, apparently Catherine did pretty good on its first week. Can we have P5 now? Please? :shobon:
So, if that is true, then Catherine sold twice as well in their first week as P4 sold in its first six months.

Edit: Fixed the release period for P4 because I lack reading comprehension :downs:

Double Edit: Might help to have a source.

NIV3K fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.

Catalina posted:

Giant Bomb did a Quick Look at Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey. The url is http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-shin-megami-tensei-strange-journey/17-2204/

Added this and the P3P quick look to the OP.

kthegreat posted:

So, if that is true, then Catherine sold twice as well in their first week as P4 sold in its first six months.

On the one hand, this is cool for Atlus and may get people to try their previous (and future) games. On the other hand, I am that guy who is angry about this video game and this is just unfortunate. Excuse me while I get a life.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So am I just blind or is Atlus not doing anything special for Overclocked. Not even a mini-soundtrack? :smith:

They didn't do anything for the first Devil Survivor either, which I thought was quite odd, since they had done bonuses for other games they were publishing at about the same time Devil Survivor came out, and DS was the first actual SMT game on the system.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

Added this and the P3P quick look to the OP.

On the one hand, this is cool for Atlus and may get people to try their previous (and future) games. On the other hand, I am that guy who is angry about this video game and this is just unfortunate. Excuse me while I get a life.

Yeah. Persona 4 is kind of less immediately accessible to the average gamer person-san. (Let me be absolutely clear that that was meant to be a tongue in cheek joke. Please, please don't take it as a start of a fight on Japanese honorifics in English translations.) P4 is accessible for an anime rpg, but...well, I haven't played Catherine, but it seems like it's more accessible and fills a whole lot of gaming consumer wants by being an original, artistic and experimental game with more mature characters and a more mature themes. Also, it was something new for the game developers to try, so I hope it was fun and rewarding for them.

Of course, I can feel relaxed because I know that Persona 5 is all but absolutely confirmed to be in development.... Personally, I think it would be nice if people who picked up Catherine took an interest in other Atlus titles, and I hope it will.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Ripped Battle theme from Devil Survivor 2. I can't see the comments, but I'm going to assume that they're full of spoilers.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

I'm excited, I just got my hands on a copy of Nocturne. Need to beat DDS2 first, but I can't wait to try this game out.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

kthegreat posted:

I'm excited, I just got my hands on a copy of Nocturne. Need to beat DDS2 first, but I can't wait to try this game out.

Be sure to give us a trip report on how many times your head almost explodes from getting your rear end kicked up and down the street in Nocturne. The game has seriously the best atmosphere and setting of any SMT game I've played though, so you'll still have a good time being made everybody's bitch.

To take advantage of your jump from DDS to Nocturne:

(... I really like SMT fanart)

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

So, I had a quick DDS2 question. What does the skill Level Gift do? It's description states "High odds of level-up events." It has had no noticeable impact on amount of experience received after a battle, so I'm kind of stumped as to what it does.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

kthegreat posted:

So, I had a quick DDS2 question. What does the skill Level Gift do? It's description states "High odds of level-up events." It has had no noticeable impact on amount of experience received after a battle, so I'm kind of stumped as to what it does.

You know how after you level up you sometimes get poo poo like fully healed or whatever? Increases the chance of getting those.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Artix74 posted:

You know how after you level up you sometimes get poo poo like fully healed or whatever? Increases the chance of getting those.
Which means it is mostly only good for reserve characters who also have the ability that lets them gain experience while not being active.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

I had a quick question about DDS2. Spoilers ahead.

I just beat the EGG for the second time, but one thing wasn't clear to me. I know that the black Varna was the demon that the real Serph became when Sera's sadness caused God to send out a huge rush of data that corrupted him. But who/what is the fake white Varna that you also fight? I do have to say that I love that real Serph was a manipulative bastard.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lance Streetman posted:

Ripped Battle theme from Devil Survivor 2. I can't see the comments, but I'm going to assume that they're full of spoilers.

Is it just me or is there old modem sounds in the background of that?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Radish posted:

Is it just me or is there old modem sounds in the background of that?

Well God was mad at the internet, so he must've bumped humanity back to using dial up.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Lance Streetman posted:

Here is the battle map theme

I think the SMT series is the only one where I look foward to the OST as much as the game. Speaking of which does anyone know when the non preorder Devil Survivor 2 Soundtrack will be released?

[e] Does any battle theme in 2 come close to coldheartedness?

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

Also, one other quick question about DDS2. Where is a good spot to farm money? I'm trying to grind out some Mantras, but money is holding me back at this point. Also, gently caress the fact that they made it almost 500k more expensive to get both Dekaja and Dekunda in this game.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~

kthegreat posted:

I had a quick question about DDS2. Spoilers ahead.

I just beat the EGG for the second time, but one thing wasn't clear to me. I know that the black Varna was the demon that the real Serph became when Sera's sadness caused God to send out a huge rush of data that corrupted him. But who/what is the fake white Varna that you also fight? I do have to say that I love that real Serph was a manipulative bastard.

From memory the white varna is supposed to be an embodiment how sera percieved serph. I think the idea might have had something with establishing who serph was as a true individual, rather than a construct of others (or more specifically seras) memories? Maybe. It's been a while since I've played the games. Doesn't the white serph appear in the board-shorts he wore in the beach simulation? That would probably clinch it.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

The Divine Orator posted:

board-shorts
I was wondering what those were, I thought he was just randomly in his underwear. That makes things make a lot more sense, thanks.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Woot, I finally, finally got my hands on Digital Devil Saga! Been looking for it for forever.

In most SMT games I usually go for a Vitality - Magic build with some emphasis on strength, but I get the feeling that this might not be a very good idea in DDS due to the devour system and the fact that, so far, it seems I have permanent party members with predetermined specialties. (like...that girl seems like the magic caster, Heat seems like a physical kind of guy) Does it matter what build I give Serph? Kind of weird playing an SMT game with no demon fusions, but so far I'm liking DDS. The story seems like it's shaping up to be really interesting.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Serph completely kicks rear end if you give him a focus on strength, as I recall.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

doomfunk posted:

Serph completely kicks rear end if you give him a focus on strength, as I recall.
This is completely true. And it is definitely helpful because devouring is based on strength.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Akarshi posted:

Woot, I finally, finally got my hands on Digital Devil Saga! Been looking for it for forever.

In most SMT games I usually go for a Vitality - Magic build with some emphasis on strength, but I get the feeling that this might not be a very good idea in DDS due to the devour system and the fact that, so far, it seems I have permanent party members with predetermined specialties. (like...that girl seems like the magic caster, Heat seems like a physical kind of guy) Does it matter what build I give Serph? Kind of weird playing an SMT game with no demon fusions, but so far I'm liking DDS. The story seems like it's shaping up to be really interesting.

In DDS1, having Serph focus on Str with a Magic secondary (or vice versa) is probably for the best, given how awesomely useful Hunt skills are and how the Magic stat is used for both offense and defense. In DDS2, you'll want him to focus mainly on physical traits and skills, partly for the same reasons as in the first game, and partly for reasons that become apparent after spoilery late-game stuff.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I went with a magic focus in DDS because I only bothered with fatal hunt skills where doing damage isn't really necessary. With the Press Turn system you usually want to be targeting weaknesses anyway, and that's almost never going to be physical. I'm not all that conservative with MP use though, so that may not be great for everyone.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I just put one in str/mag/vit every level and it worked pretty well for me. :shobon:

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Akarshi posted:

I'll add a vote in for physical. Once you get iron stomach you can eat as much as you want, whenever you want, then go ahead and make him a caster if you wish.

The Divine Orator posted:

From memory the white varna is supposed to be an embodiment how sera percieved serph. I think the idea might have had something with establishing who serph was as a true individual, rather than a construct of others (or more specifically seras) memories? Maybe. It's been a while since I've played the games. Doesn't the white serph appear in the board-shorts he wore in the beach simulation? That would probably clinch it.

This is the conclusion I drew as well, so your memory is accurate.

kthegreat posted:

Also, one other quick question about DDS2. Where is a good spot to farm money? I'm trying to grind out some Mantras, but money is holding me back at this point. Also, gently caress the fact that they made it almost 500k more expensive to get both Dekaja and Dekunda in this game.

You want to farm flowers to sell money fastest. You can find them and enemies drop em.
Edit: I made a list. By dungeon.

Cable- Kaiwan drops Clover
Tower- Setanta drops Amaryllis
EGG Facility - Sarasvati Drops amaryllis, Baphomet drops Daisy
Power Plant - Yaksini drops Daisy. Vetala drops Rose
EGG Facility round 2 Phoenix drops Rose. Hanuman drops Sakura
Airport Nyx drops Sakura. Nandi drops Jasmine. Nidhoggr drops Jasmine.
The Sun Skadi drops Jasmine. Lilith drops manjusaka. Thor and Barong drop olive branch.

The Data monsters are all in the final dungeon.

The Sarge Girimekala drops HP
Mada drops MP
Surt drops power
Horus drops magic
Barong drops quick
Arahabaki drops vital
lilith drops luck

Happy grinding

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 7, 2011

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My Serph is at level 56 in DDS and almost exclusively magic. Had no trouble with the game so far but I'm at the last dungeon and gently caress this level when will it end

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

nachos posted:

My Serph is at level 56 in DDS and almost exclusively magic. Had no trouble with the game so far but I'm at the last dungeon and gently caress this level when will it end

It wouldn't be an SMT game if it didn't have a ludicrously long final dungeon.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I just got my copy of Devil Survivor 2. I'm currently having a blast despite being unable to decipher the weird glyphs. I'm not terribly far into it, but it seems to be a reboot of DS1 with very little unchanged stuff. Physical characters still suck. The magic based female character (i think her name is Io? pardon my lunarese) you start with kicks rear end, and unlike Yuzu she has a move range of 4 :toot:

Despite the apparent lack of changes, I'm really liking it. Devil Survivor 1 is one of the few games I enjoyed enough to pay the silly price of importing games from Japan, so I'm okay with it.

Can anyone who has played it and who knows Japanese tell me whether or not there's a part like saving Haru in DS1 that will screw you out of all the good endings if you miss it? It's not like I'll be able to read any of them, but Yuzu's ending in DS1 was really bad.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I got an email from Atlus (that I can't find now) saying that Devil Survivor for DS in on sale at Amazon for $20.99. I was borrowing the copy I was playing from a friend, so I figured I might as well buy it for myself while it's that price.

Stupid Atlus, making games that are so good, I want to buy new copies and support them...

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
My Devil Survivor 2 arrived in the mail today. I'll start playing it sometime this week.

I skimmed the manual, and yes, everyone's tits point upwards.

Coincidentally, the character designer of Devil Survivor 1 & 2, Suzuhito Yasuda, designed some costumes and weapons for Phantasy Star Portable 2 that get released later this week. Check this out if you want to get a look.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Justice posted:

Check this out if you want to get a look.

I like the general feel of his style, and honestly the breast size thing I didn't even notice til this thread(I guess I kind of ignored it), but that's a bit much for me.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Hey, I'm playing through Nocturne for the first time, just beat Matador, and I had a question about the Candelabrums.

Does lighting them screw anything up later in the game, or does it just let you explore the Kalpa?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Catalina posted:

You HAVE to max out his social link. Him surviving only makes sense within the context of the last events of the social link.

From what I've read, you do, but the MAX RANK scene has been toned down in the English version to *specifically* not be sexual. The Japanese version was not. I have no idea about the Christmas event, though.

The Christmas event wasn't particularly any better or worse than the max rank event, if I remember correctly (I went through all of the scenes before grabbing Akihiko's SP recovery item). Just the usual "wait until I grow up!" thing.

The spend time event after you max Ken's rank is pretty funny though.

Ken: Eheh, isn't it a little weird, us being alone like this?
>"No"
Ken: ..........oooookaaaaay :geno:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Hey, I'm playing through Nocturne for the first time, just beat Matador, and I had a question about the Candelabrums.

Does lighting them screw anything up later in the game, or does it just let you explore the Kalpa?

Just lets you progress in the Labyrinth of Amala
e: Only possible effect is if you finish them all you get locked into a specific ending (The best ending :smug:, but still) so watch out for that if you're going for one of the other ones.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 9, 2011

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Just lets you progress in the Labyrinth of Amala
e: Only possible effect is if you finish them all you get locked into a specific ending (The best ending :smug:, but still) so watch out for that if you're going for one of the other ones.

Great, thanks for your help.
I'm already kinda dedicated to that ending, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something dumb.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I started playing Strange Journey last week, and despite being perfectly okay with using walkthroughs from the moment I turn on a game, I decided to see how long I could hold out before checking GameFAQs. Somehow I actually made it through the second region completely on my own though, despite damage tiles, pit traps, and having to search for elevator switches. We'll see how much longer I can handle it.

Although having automap is nice, it is frustrating having to step on every tile and go through every doorway just to have a complete map. It would have been nice if it automapped basic/obvious features (floor, damage tile, wall) of surrounding squares, or if I had the option to draw those in myself like in Etrian Odyssey.

Although the alignment system is interesting and lends itself really well to multiple playthroughs, I feel that in conjunction with the new co-op system it is a bit on the restrictive side. Not only is it harder to recruit a demon of a different alignment, but using that demon in combat puts you at a disadvantage relative to using only demons of your own alignment, so you're stuck between giving up a good (and free) source of damage and restricting yourself to 1/3 of the demons in the game. Outside of fusion and I guess easier analysis, there isn't much incentive to bother with the rest.

On the other hand, it is forcing me to use some demons that I would probably otherwise ignore, and means I can't as easily just load up on demons that can hammer enemy weaknesses and give me multiple co-op attacks per turn on a regular basis.

Overall though, I'm really enjoying it so far despite the dungeon features that typically bother me. Is there a "true" ending for the game? Right now I'm still on the neutral path. If I play through the game a second time at all, it probably won't be in the near future, so I'd rather just go for the best ending to begin with if I can.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Armor-Piercing posted:

Somehow I actually made it through the second region completely on my own though, despite damage tiles, pit traps, and having to search for elevator switches.

Re-read this and laugh a hearty laugh after you get to Sector E

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

nachos posted:

Re-read this and laugh a hearty laugh after you get to Sector E
If I haven't already by then, I will probably pull out a map when I get there. I'm really just surprised that I didn't immediately go "gently caress this" and pull up GameFAQs once I hit the second floor of the place.

It did help that there was a clue at the beginning of the floor to tell me which way to go though. It isn't just randomly guessing which way to go like, say, some DDS dungeons, which I didn't even bother trying to do on my own because I wanted to actually beat the game.

Ice Cream Social
Nov 11, 2007
audi alteram partem
Having recently gotten through the last dungeon in DDS1, I've got to say I am surprised that people had much trouble with it, or any of the other dungeons in the game. Sure, the last dungeon was really long, but it kept the dick moves and progress reversal (like pit traps) to a minimum. I never felt like I wasn't making steady progress through the thing.

This is the complete opposite experience I had with the latter dungeons in Nocturne. When I didn't use a guide on those, I felt like I was just hitting my head against the wall trying to find the correct. I think I used a guide on every dungeon starting with the big pyramid. On the other hand, I never opened up a guide for DDS until I wanted to find out where bonus bosses were.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The most unlikely adorable little demon. Possibly :nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Armor-Piercing posted:

If I haven't already by then, I will probably pull out a map when I get there. I'm really just surprised that I didn't immediately go "gently caress this" and pull up GameFAQs once I hit the second floor of the place.

It did help that there was a clue at the beginning of the floor to tell me which way to go though. It isn't just randomly guessing which way to go like, say, some DDS dungeons, which I didn't even bother trying to do on my own because I wanted to actually beat the game.

The early dungeons in Strange Journey aren't really all that bad. I only pulled out a guide (well, loaded up a map on the SJ wiki) in very specific places, and even that's because I thought the door search is retarded.

Also Sector E happened, and that's when I just opened up the map and left it up the entire time. I really need to finish that game. Are Sector F and beyond terribly bad?