Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.

Agnostic watermelon posted:

What, really? It not even like he's going to loving eat them anyway so why would that matter? :psyduck:

Blood was pretty symbolic to the ancient Hebrews, and most cultures at that time. It was this mysterious poo poo that they connected to life and all that kind of stuff. That's why women were kept away from the tribe when they menstruated and all that stuff. God wanted Cain and Abel to give them blood, because it was the most precious thing afforded at that time.

And it really, really feels weird spoilering the Bible, but such is Megami Tensei.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

Grand Gigas posted:

Blood was pretty symbolic to the ancient Hebrews, and most cultures at that time. It was this mysterious poo poo that they connected to life and all that kind of stuff. That's why women were kept away from the tribe when they menstruated and all that stuff. God wanted Cain and Abel to give them blood, because it was the most precious thing afforded at that time.

Which adds a whole lot of :psyduck: to Cain killing Abel. Because, hey, wasn't Cain giving God blood then?

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

HarveyVdarski posted:

No, and there are a few websites where you can stillmget fairly old Atlus games for fair prices. I found brand new copies of Nocturne on a site. Picked up one of those babies faster than you can burn your bread.

Could you share a link? I've been interested in picking up another copy of Nocturne since I sold mine a few years ago.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Couch Life posted:

Could you share a link? I've been interested in picking up another copy of Nocturne since I sold mine a few years ago.

Play-Asia currently has used copies available and new copies listed as being on backorder. Prices are decent, too: only about $30-35.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski

Couch Life posted:

Um. Is it allowed? there is no mention in the rules but I will take the chance.

https://www.azomax.com is an excellent website, I was able to get nocturne, p3/4 and both DDS games for 34.99 each. brand loving new, too. with the 4 dollar shipping it arrives within the week you order.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

Ayana posted:

Which adds a whole lot of :psyduck: to Cain killing Abel. Because, hey, wasn't Cain giving God blood then?

I never thought of that. But, it's probably because the body wasn't burnt or something, which they saw as the smoke rising to God. Or something like that.

VonLudwig
Apr 22, 2008
There's also the issue of propaganda in that whole sacrifice story. A lot of the old testament is actually anti-Babylonian/Egyptian propaganda. The Egyptians and Babylonians were the neighbours and main competitors of the Semites, and both of those nations were sedentary agriculturalists, whereas the Semites were nomadic pastoralists, herding sheep. So, what a big part of that story is, is that YHWH approves of pastoralism, and not of agriculture. Also farmers are damned for all eternity, so it's okay when the horse-riding nomads go and kill them and steal their stuff, as the ancient Semites so often did.

Also, YHWH is kind of a jerk because he started off as the god of the sky, war and thunder before the Hebrews moved from polytheism to henotheism and eventually monotheism.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Ayana posted:

If you play the Law path in Devil Survivor, Naoya actually starts screaming about this very thing. A sure sign that he's lost it by then.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Okay, I think Grand Gigas's thing about "God only wanted blood thing" is a bit ridiculous.

From what I read. It's not that "his crops were lovely/God only wanted animals" but that he took whatever was lying around and just really didn't think about the sacrifice and that's why God was upset because Abel took the very best he had to offer and basically made sure that strict attention was paid to what he sacrificing. I really think the whole "God craves blood" thing is a bit of a stretch and you're reading what you want out of it.

But really, I'm a Christian (Yeah, kind of funny that I play Shin Megami games especially since they almost all pretty much say "gently caress off God!" but I'm a big enough boy to ignore that) and I probably have a bit more favourable view God than most here.

Just thought I'd offer up my 2 cents on the story though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So I'm playing Overclocked at the moment, and I've after going through the Neutral ending the first time I played the game on the regular DS, I'm going for Yuzu's ending, which I assume is the easiest, right? Because fuuuuck fighting all those bosses again.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
That's weird, it doesn't come out for a couple more days.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
So, I'm around 40 hours into my Nocturne playthrough, in the Fourth Kalpa.
Minutes away from fighting Beelzebub I get cursed for the first time.
That was not a fun fight.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Morpheus posted:

So I'm playing Overclocked at the moment, and I've after going through the Neutral ending the first time I played the game on the regular DS, I'm going for Yuzu's ending, which I assume is the easiest, right? Because fuuuuck fighting all those bosses again.

You won't even see those bosses on Yuzu's path, she gets like 2 easy battles and that's it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Axle_Stukov posted:

You won't even see those bosses on Yuzu's path, she gets like 2 easy battles and that's it.

Awesome.I really don't feel like suffering through them again. Ugh.

Plus, there's a Title you get that says "Defend Tokyo on the 8th day in Yuzu's path" so I'm kind of curious what that is.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

The Black Stones posted:

Okay, I think Grand Gigas's thing about "God only wanted blood thing" is a bit ridiculous.

From what I read. It's not that "his crops were lovely/God only wanted animals" but that he took whatever was lying around and just really didn't think about the sacrifice and that's why God was upset because Abel took the very best he had to offer and basically made sure that strict attention was paid to what he sacrificing. I really think the whole "God craves blood" thing is a bit of a stretch and you're reading what you want out of it.

I'm not saying that God is a giant vampire or some monster or something. What I'm saying is that the whole point of sacrifice tended to revolve around killing things (that have blood) in the name of one's arch-deity. It makes sense, because blood held the God-given mysterious life-force. Back in the day, a blood sacrifice was required in order for forgiveness; although it wasn't the olny way, it seemed the most common and effective. I'm not being an Internet Atheist, just pointing out the actual beliefs of the ancient Hebrews.

But hey, is there anymore news for Devil Survivor 2? I'm excited about the look of the demons that come every few days. I love the abstract, crystalline look. Justice, any more info you can give us? Eh, Eh?

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Grand Gigas posted:

But hey, is there anymore news for Devil Survivor 2? I'm excited about the look of the demons that come every few days. I love the abstract, crystalline look. Justice, any more info you can give us? Eh, Eh?

I just want to know when the ost comes out. From the tracks I've been listing to on youtube it sounds like 2 will have a better soundtrack than the first imo.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Morpheus posted:

Plus, there's a Title you get that says "Defend Tokyo on the 8th day in Yuzu's path" so I'm kind of curious what that is.

It's probably a final day "let's make this path slightly better than THE WORST OPTION HANDS DOWN" battle from the sound of it.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I was trying to figure out how anyone can reach level 99 in Persona 3 without going insane.

Now I understand.

Monad. :stare:

Why yes I would like 20,000 EXP from this fight, thank you very much.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
On the other hand, getting to lvl 99 in Persona 4 is astonishingly easy if you know the trick to it.

Basically, there's one random encounter in one of the later dungeons Magatsu Inaba where the monsters summon other monsters constantly, and only run away if they take too much damage. The only other thing they can do is try to berserk you, and the summons can only do physical attacks.

Equip Null/Reflect/Absorb Phys Persona on MC, set to Rush mode, leave the game running for half an hour or so, come back and collect 65535 exp.

It's really hard to level up your party members this way though - the adds hit pretty hard so it's difficult to resurrect them all to collect the exp.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski

Grand Gigas posted:

I'm not saying that God is a giant vampire or some monster or something. What I'm saying is that the whole point of sacrifice tended to revolve around killing things (that have blood) in the name of one's arch-deity. It makes sense, because blood held the God-given mysterious life-force. Back in the day, a blood sacrifice was required in order for forgiveness; although it wasn't the olny way, it seemed the most common and effective. I'm not being an Internet Atheist, just pointing out the actual beliefs of the ancient Hebrews.

Some dude spoiled it for me, unfortunately, and I dislike the look of the invaders. They remind me ofthe angels from Evangelion. Which makes sense, because they were designed by the same person.

So how does people feel about the social links?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I traded for a used copy of SMT: Nocturne a while ago, and it came with a soundtrack CD in the case. Are all the copies like that, or was that just a first print thing?
I also have the same thing with the copy of the original release of Persona 3. It has a box, CD, and artbook. Was that first print only, or is it included in every copy of original P3? Both are the English NA releases.

(*goes off while grumbling about how there are no bonuses with either version of Devil Survivor*)

Kloro
Oct 24, 2008

Fancy a grown man saying hujus hujus hujus as if he were proud of it it is not english and do not make SENSE.
The OP is missing Feinne's LP of Persona 3's epilogue, The Answer.

Cheap Diner Coffee
Aug 7, 2010

Philistine.
Nocturne pre-orders came with the soundtrack, the original release of Persona 3 came with a CD and art book (according to Wikipedia).

Kloro posted:

The OP is missing Feinne's LP of Persona 3's epilogue, The Answer.

I'll add it in. Thanks.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Of course, REAL fans buy both Nocturne albums and the, like, three or four Persona 3 albums. :colbert:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I'm just wondering if Devil Survivor 2 is completely independent of Devil Survivor 1 or if it's more like Persona 3/4 where they're in the same continuity and there are a couple of cameos even though the main plot is unrelated.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
So far Devil Survivor 2 is completely unrelated to the first one. It's also about as fun as the first one, which for some of you means you will love it, and for me it means it's ok but I would rather be playing more PSPo2:Infinity :sweatdrop:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

Nocturne pre-orders came with the soundtrack, the original release of Persona 3 came with a CD and art book (according to Wikipedia).

Oooh, I got lucky then! Thanks. I didn't think of that info being in wikipedia, either.

Technique posted:

Of course, REAL fans buy both Nocturne albums and the, like, three or four Persona 3 albums. :colbert:

But, but, with Japanese CD prices, how would I have afforded the 3 Persona 3 figures and like, 8 Persona 3 & 4 cell phone charms I have? :ohdear:

Speaking of Cell Phone Charms...

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Technique posted:

I have two of the live albums :smug:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Agnostic watermelon posted:

I have two of the live albums :smug:

Yeah, well i have the 4-disc DDS OST collection. :smug:

And i'm also thinking of buying the Devil Survivor OST despite not even owning the game. I think i have a problem with SMT OST addiction. :ohdear:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
I would suggest saving that money and spending it on the Persona 2 PSP Arranged Sound Track when it comes out, instead.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Catalina posted:

Speaking of Cell Phone Charms...

Those are adorable. I love how incredibly pissed off Tatsuya looks.

...so where's the Igor charm?

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

MarsDragon posted:

Those are adorable. I love how incredibly pissed off Tatsuya looks.

...so where's the Igor charm?

It's not Igor without the nose.

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

Persona 3 Portable is getting PAL PSN release :toot:

Innocent Sin is getting a physical European release too, no word on a PSN release though.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

This is pretty cool. I'm a little worried that its sales figures might not reflect the demand for it, because all the people I know who are really into niche games that don't always see releases over here just use a US PSN account with a fake address and buy PSN-bucks off the internet anyway.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Thuryl posted:

This is pretty cool. I'm a little worried that its sales figures might not reflect the demand for it, because all the people I know who are really into niche games that don't always see releases over here just use a US PSN account with a fake address and buy PSN-bucks off the internet anyway.

Yeah. If that's the case, at least there won't be a loss of profit from returned physical inventory.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

Catalina posted:

Trish! :swoon: Oh, you can overcharge me for heals any day! I really think it's a shame that she hasn't really shown up since P2:EP. :colbert:

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski
I'm extremely disappointed that this wasn't posted yet.

Anyway, the game doesn't look that 'remastered'. Although I don't know, it's a grainy youtube video, not a crisp 3DS screen.

The voice acting is pretty much on line with the Persona series, so I dunno why everyone is freaking out over it being bad. It's not like Teddie had such good delivery.

So who's picking this up? :)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

HarveyVdarski posted:

I'm extremely disappointed that this wasn't posted yet.

Anyway, the game doesn't look that 'remastered'. Although I don't know, it's a grainy youtube video, not a crisp 3DS screen.

The voice acting is pretty much on line with the Persona series, so I dunno why everyone is freaking out over it being bad. It's not like Teddie had such good delivery.

So who's picking this up? :)

I think the worry about the VA came from the preview site back when the game was announced because some of the samples were...Not that great. And yeah, I bought a 3DS for this game practically so I can't wait to pick it up today :D

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The voice acting seems alright but not necessarily what I thought of in my head. Also is that Stephanie Sheh as Yuzu? It sounds like her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorselfin
Dec 18, 2004

You broke my sitar, motherfucker.
If you've been iffy about getting Strange Journey like I have, you're in luck. It's Play-Asia's weekly special at an impulsive $17.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-ba-49-en-70-3mue.html

I can't wait to work my way around Atlus' offices (?)