Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Having played the original one makes the new voices feel almost stapled on, especially when the acting itself is sub-par. This seems more like a second-chance option for those who didn't get a DS for whatever reason than a worthwhile re-release/update.

Still going to buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Found a complete copy of Nocturne at a gamestop, only problem is I don't want to start it cause P2P is coming out in a month, and I know I won't be done with it yet and don't want to get SMT'd out. Life is full of hardships.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I beat Persona 3 FES last night. I think I'm going to take a break before starting The Answer, after having burned 85 hours on the Journey.

Turns out being level 91 and having special fusion weapons with 400+ attack on three of my four party members did make me a little overpowered for the final fight! The closest I got to dying was when my MC got Charmed and killed Yukari, but I got payback when half my party got Enraged when the boss had about 400 HP left and no defenses.

Any tips for The Answer before I start playing?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Strange Matter posted:

Use a guide for the boss fights.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Strange Matter posted:

If you find yourself really stuck and/or just not having any fun, there is no shame in reading the LP for it (it should be in the OP).

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

So I started Strange Journey, playing it without guides except the occasional map if/when the need arises, not aiming for a specific alignment. I just started Sector B, and I'm now lawful, which is fine except all my demons except one have a gun weakness and any law demons I can find/fuse have the same. As you can imagine, this does not help my survivability.

Is there some way around this, or should I just ignore the alignment of demons and throw in non-gun weak neutrals and chaoses? I'm not going out of my way to change alignment, I want to play blind and see where it ends up.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I would just try negotiating with some different demons and trying different fusions with them. I have no idea how you ended up with a full team of gun-weak demons of one alignment though - I didn't even know there were that many at one level range.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Big Mad Drongo posted:

So I started Strange Journey, playing it without guides except the occasional map if/when the need arises, not aiming for a specific alignment. I just started Sector B, and I'm now lawful, which is fine except all my demons except one have a gun weakness and any law demons I can find/fuse have the same. As you can imagine, this does not help my survivability.

Is there some way around this, or should I just ignore the alignment of demons and throw in non-gun weak neutrals and chaoses? I'm not going out of my way to change alignment, I want to play blind and see where it ends up.

Having a mono-aligned team is certainly nice but you won't suddenly start dying because you replace one or two team members with another alignment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ideally you want a team of the same alignment, but in the long run, it's better to have a good demon of an opposing alignment then a mediocre demon of the same alignment. Try to stick within your alignment but don't be afraid to branch out, although when going into boss fights you'll probably want as many similarly-aligned guys as possible.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Just got my copy of Overclocked, the little Hee-ho! voiceclip when you go to start it up is pretty :3:
e: wow Naoya's voice actor really has no idea how to emote at all.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Just got my copy of Overclocked, the little Hee-ho! voiceclip when you go to start it up is pretty :3:

I just realized that I haven't even turned my copy off yet for the past five days.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

e: wow Naoya's voice actor really has no idea how to emote at all.

I choose to believe that Naoya himself has no idea how to emote at all.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

"Peaceful days died, let's survive" ....Did they change the tagline? I could have sworn it sounded a lot less awkward in the original. Also I thought one of the new features were the "breathing" sprites from Strange Journey, but at least in the tutorial battle they're the old static ones still.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

"Peaceful days died, let's survive" ....Did they change the tagline? I could have sworn it sounded a lot less awkward in the original. Also I thought one of the new features were the "breathing" sprites from Strange Journey, but at least in the tutorial battle they're the old static ones still.

I think the last one was "Peaceful days are over, let's survive"

Sorta bummed out about the sprites though :(

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh man, I have to hear this.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah, no animated sprites, sadly. The voices aren't as bad as I thought so far, the only one that's really bad is Naoya's. At least it's good to see them keeping up the tradition of kicking your face in on the first day. loving Ogre/Kobold/Ogre teams will wreck your poo poo in the beginning, and doubly so if they attack you because of Aggravate.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski

Artix74 posted:

Yeah, no animated sprites, sadly. The voices aren't as bad as I thought so far, the only one that's really bad is Naoya's. At least it's good to see them keeping up the tradition of kicking your face in on the first day. loving Ogre/Kobold/Ogre teams will wreck your poo poo in the beginning, and doubly so if they attack you because of Aggravate.

You found that difficult? Really? I mean Atsuro basically skullfucks those teams with his agi/zio combo. Yuzu is backing up for heals and the hero is a tank.

At least so far I have found that to be the case. So has anyone here got any good suggestions for a MAG build? I want to be a fire-slinging powerhouse of death.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The battles are too static to feature that. Also, disappointed there is no 3D.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Yeah, it feels like Overclocked has literally no reason to be a 3DS game. :shobon:

Not to say I'm not enjoying it, mind.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Ibram Gaunt posted:

First time I started up the game I went back and forth in the 3DS menu about a dozen or so times just to hear that over and over. :3:

So far I'm enjoying it. The voice acting isn't bad, but it certainly isn't Digital Devil Saga or Persona 4 quality.

HarveyVdarski posted:

The battles are too static to feature that. Also, disappointed there is no 3D.

There's 3D in the fusion scene, but I haven't seen it anywhere else yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm most disappointed that the sprites are still static. There's no excuse for that.

HarveyVdarski posted:

You found that difficult? Really? I mean Atsuro basically skullfucks those teams with his agi/zio combo. Yuzu is backing up for heals and the hero is a tank.

At least so far I have found that to be the case. So has anyone here got any good suggestions for a MAG build? I want to be a fire-slinging powerhouse of death.

Get to Strength 8 Mag 10. From there boost Mag with a point in Agility every 2-3 points of magic. Equip Drain and Holy Dance. You win at magic.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

jonjonaug posted:

First time I started up the game I went back and forth in the 3DS menu about a dozen or so times just to hear that over and over. :3:

So far I'm enjoying it. The voice acting isn't bad, but it certainly isn't Digital Devil Saga or Persona 4 quality.

There's 3D in the fusion scene, but I haven't seen it anywhere else yet.

They could have at least made the stat screens on top have a little 3D

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

HarveyVdarski posted:

Oh no, not at all. It's just one of those (many) things that can come out of nowhere if you're not paying attention and leave you with two dead demons (and if you're unlucky a wiped team) on the first day.

Also, 95% of the game is on the bottom screen, I agree with Atlus not bothering with 3D. Saves battery life if nothing else.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Evil/Chaos wave is the most annoying ability ATLUS came up with. Ugh I had forgotten how goddamn frustrating fighting those Basilisks on day 3 was. Oh what's that, you're trying to fight the boss? welp hope you enjoy us plinking at you from 2 squares away spamming petrify! :argh:

Black Frost
Jul 27, 2011

I'm Black Frost, Ho!
Is it worth getting a 3DS for Overclocked? I never played the original but I figure it may be a good enough excuse as any to upgrade.

Also, this game sounds really similar to the World Ends With You, aside from the battle system. I really hope it isn't.

Black Frost fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 24, 2011

MolluskGoneBad
Feb 25, 2002
So I lost all my (and my wife's) save data for Persona 3. (Apparently a PS3 full system backup does not let you restore PS2 memory cards to another system, it's same system only.) We had the original, not the FES version.

Do any of the changes in FES speed up the pace of the thing? I noticed on howlongtobeat there were shorter times for the main story in FES, but from a much smaller sample size.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
^^^But The World Ends With You Owns

So last night I ran my first game of a homebrewed Persona pen-and-paper RPG with my internet RP friends. I'm using a system tailored from a game called Magical Burst, which is designed as sort of a dark magical girl anime game but which actually converts almost perfectly to Persona with only some minor tweaks.

What's great about it my group is the array of experience that my players have with Persona and MegaTen in general. I got one guy who's played Persona 3 and 4, Nocturne, both Digital Devil Sagas and Devil Survivor; another guy currently playing Persona 3; one who is familiar with Persona and SMT but hasn't actually played any of them, and a fourth guy who has no idea about any of it.

If Atlus won't make Persona 5 then I'll just make my own. With blackjack. And hookers.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Wait so Overclocked is literally not in 3D? I didn't even know that was an option developers had for the 3DS. I'll still buy it, because I liked the original enough that I'd like to get the definitive version, but I'm still disappointed.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Re: Devil Survivor; on the original version if you were to start a fresh new game, rather than NG+, would it erase all progress you've made with like complete endings for the title screen and such? I could do an NG+ sure, but (aside from, y'know, Lucifer) it's just way too easy and just feels more like I'm going through the motions again, moreso than anything else. At least when playing from scratch again there's a possible chance I could gently caress up and die at some point. Even if it's only on Day 6 or 7.

Black Frost
Jul 27, 2011

I'm Black Frost, Ho!

Strange Matter posted:

^^^But The World Ends With You Owns

Yes it does, I meant that I don't want to feel like I'm playing a ripoff of it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Black Frost posted:

The games don't really feel similar at all past the "teenagers stuck in tokyo" deal.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Dragonatrix posted:

Re: Devil Survivor; on the original version if you were to start a fresh new game, rather than NG+, would it erase all progress you've made with like complete endings for the title screen and such? I could do an NG+ sure, but (aside from, y'know, Lucifer) it's just way too easy and just feels more like I'm going through the motions again, moreso than anything else. At least when playing from scratch again there's a possible chance I could gently caress up and die at some point. Even if it's only on Day 6 or 7.

You could always just limit yourself to demons that are your character's level, although you'd still have the 5 base movement and no EXP falloff.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Black Frost posted:

The games are nothing alike, except that they take place in Tokyo. Like, nothing alike at all.

Opposing Farce posted:

You could always just limit yourself to demons that are your character's level, although you'd still have the 5 base movement and no EXP falloff.

If I'm not mistaken, don't you have to 'buy' things like the removal of xp scaling and base 5 movement, based on some points you get or something? I could've sworn I read that somewhere.

Edit: Probably mistaken, I must've misread it at some point.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 24, 2011

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Whoop double post

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 24, 2011

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

fount of knowledge posted:

Yeah, it feels like Overclocked has literally no reason to be a 3DS game. :shobon:

So what I'm getting from this is that a company that doesn't publish their games outside japan and north america decided to put this game on the only handheld that's region locked, and it doesn't even use that handheld's unique features? No reason it couldn't have been on DS?

Marvellous work, Atlus. Brilliant. :bravo:

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Well thanks a lot thread! :mad: I just ordered Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, Nocturne and P3P thanks to you! I hope you're happy! (i am)

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Suaimhneas posted:

No reason it couldn't have been on DS?

It already was, though :)

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Suaimhneas posted:

So what I'm getting from this is that a company that doesn't publish their games outside japan and north america decided to put this game on the only handheld that's region locked, and it doesn't even use that handheld's unique features? No reason it couldn't have been on DS?

Marvellous work, Atlus. Brilliant. :bravo:
It is almost like this exact same thing happened with GBA/DS games when the DS launched, except Atlus actually added something to the 3DS version, even if it isn't using 3D. It's an easy way to get an early title onto a new platform, and while the library is this small, even more people are likely to buy it just so they actually have a 3DS game or two

Also it isn't exactly Atlus' fault they don't publish outside of Japan and North America, since they don't exist outside those territories.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Spiffo posted:

Well thanks a lot thread! :mad: I just ordered Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, Nocturne and P3P thanks to you! I hope you're happy! (i am)

The more people that buy P3P, the better. :allears:

I'm pissed though. I've been in the middle of another playthrough for a couple weeks, and my PSP keeps getting dust in the screens. I keep opening up the system to clean it out, doing everything I can to prevent more dust from getting in. I close it, turn the poo poo on, aaaaand... tons and tons of dust. Dust between handheld screens is the one thing I'm OCD about these days :(

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So overclocked is not worth it if you played it on the DS sounds like. Anyone see the 8th day stuff/ see if they changed endings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Spiffo posted:

I know, right? After I played Persona 4, I played 3, and then I slowly started acquiring more SMT games than I'll ever get around to playing. This thread is to blame, along with the Let's Plays. And I'm totally happy, too.