Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Dragonatrix posted:

Re: Devil Survivor; on the original version if you were to start a fresh new game, rather than NG+, would it erase all progress you've made with like complete endings for the title screen and such? I could do an NG+ sure, but (aside from, y'know, Lucifer) it's just way too easy and just feels more like I'm going through the motions again, moreso than anything else. At least when playing from scratch again there's a possible chance I could gently caress up and die at some point. Even if it's only on Day 6 or 7.

Isn't that the point of NG+, though? Just tearing through the game to see what you might have missed the first time through, or just seeing how the later level spells and demons trivialize the game? I know that I don't want a repetitive, boring slog every time I want to see a different ending to a game I beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Spiffo posted:

Well thanks a lot thread! :mad: I just ordered Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2, Nocturne and P3P thanks to you! I hope you're happy! (i am)

But you didn't preorder Persona 2 Innocent Sin Portable? You should probably get on that.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski

Suaimhneas posted:

So what I'm getting from this is that a company that doesn't publish their games outside japan and north america decided to put this game on the only handheld that's region locked, and it doesn't even use that handheld's unique features? No reason it couldn't have been on DS?

Marvellous work, Atlus. Brilliant. :bravo:

The 3DS library isn't that big, so they clearly rushed this one out to take asvantage ofmthe games vaccum.

I shat myself when I went to the gamestop and there were like 99999 people there. I don't know wny, ut I thught they were all upjumped for Devil Survivor. Nope, Deus Ex.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

TurnipFritter posted:

But you didn't preorder Persona 2 Innocent Sin Portable? You should probably get on that.

Everybody buy it on the Playstation Store if you wanna be able to play it on the Vita!

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Apparently this site appeared today http://p-atlus.jp/

Looks like yet another persona rerelease. Geez Atlus.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Game Jouhou and a few other major gaming blogs are claiming it's likely to be Persona 4 Portable for Vita, citing Famitsu's promise for a "major Vita announcement" next week.

Of course they forget that for the next 3 weeks, every issue is going to have major Vita announcements because that was the deal they made with Sony Japan. But hey, gaming journalism.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Welp guess I have to get a Vita :unsmith:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Even if that were the case, North America would be lucky to get it, considering how poorly Persona 4 sold here.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Game Jouhou and a few other major gaming blogs are claiming it's likely to be Persona 4 Portable for Vita, citing Famitsu's promise for a "major Vita announcement" next week.

Of course they forget that for the next 3 weeks, every issue is going to have major Vita announcements because that was the deal they made with Sony Japan. But hey, gaming journalism.

NO NO NO NO NO. I *JUST* bought a PS3 last night. :smithicide: Persona 3 Portable made me buy a PSP, too.

Justice posted:

Even if that were the case, North America would be lucky to get it, considering how poorly Persona 4 sold here.

I'm only half joking here when I say then I'd have to learn Japanese, then. Especially if there's a female protagonist option.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm ashamed of how excited I am for a persona 4 remake. I mean, I'd rather they make new games and IPs, but drat it I'm still going to buy it the day it comes out, and be giddy with excitement everyday beforehand.

Xythar posted:

Well we got an English release of Catherine and we're getting one of Innocent Sin despite it never being released outside of Japan at all so I'm going to remain optimistic.

If it we're any other company I would be worried, but Atlas is pretty good about this kind of thing, so I'm going to be optimistic as well. Admittedly, Justice is probably in a better position to know, but still.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 25, 2011

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Justice posted:

Well we got an English release of Catherine and we're getting one of Innocent Sin despite it never being released outside of Japan at all so I'm going to remain optimistic.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

Justice posted:

I could see releasing a P4P in the US as being a pretty smart move if it comes out as a launch title/around the time Vita launches in the US. It would fill the same void Overclocked did with the 3DS.

I mean they did do an English release for Catherine, of all things, and it managed to exceed sales expectations.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

The Grimace posted:

Everybody buy it on the Playstation Store if you wanna be able to play it on the Vita!

Hm, I just recently learned about game sharing on the PSN. I wonder if it applies to PSP games as well as PS3 ones.

The manual and packaging whore in me wants me to preorder the physical copy though. Haha.

ETA:

Cake Attack posted:

I'm ashamed of how excited I am for a persona 4 remake. I mean, I'd rather they make new games and IPs, but drat it I'm still going to buy it the day it comes out, and be giddy with excitement everyday beforehand.

If it we're any other company I would be worried, but Atlas is pretty good about this kind of thing, so I'm going to be optimistic as well. Admittedly, Justice is probably in a better position to know, but still.

I only feel obliged to feel ashamed about purchasing remakes and additional content rereleases of games I like. :ohdear: Atlus spaces the remakes and rereleases out far enough, and adds additional content to complete games that I feel like they're worth buying, and not cheating. Not like some DLC's from games that feel like features removed to make a greater profit.

I agree, too, that Justice is in a good position to comment, and I take what she says seriously, but I'm also optimistic as well. P4 was released at a bad time. It also sold in some pretty high numbers, in the hundred thousand mark rather than the tens of thousands (Like other SMT games). Plus, an anime is being released, and Persona 4 the game has a fanbase in English.

If it isn't announced, maybe fans could get together and promise like, X sales if the game comes out in English.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 25, 2011

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Working for Atlus USA is nothing like working for Atlus Co., so my words are only educated guesses.

That said, I think some of you may be getting ahead of yourselves here. Try to reign in that unbridled optimism until more information is released from an official source.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Schlegel Mach posted:

I could see releasing a P4P in the US as being a pretty smart move if it comes out as a launch title/around the time Vita launches in the US. It would fill the same void Overclocked did with the 3DS.

I mean they did do an English release for Catherine, of all things, and it managed to exceed sales expectations.

Use the anime with a well timed readvertised stream (I imagine that if this IS P4P that the anime will be well done by the time this gets out) and watch as a retarded amount of cash rolls in.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Policenaut posted:

You promised against this Atlus! You promised me! :argh:

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
I was already planning on getting a PS Vita, so this is just sweet, sweet icing on the delicious cake. Maybe it's a good thing I postponed my new game through P4.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So wait, what about that link says P4 Rerelease on PSVita?

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Baalster posted:

Rumors mostly, but look at that loving page. There's no way it isn't Persona 4 related.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Baalster posted:

The bright yellow background screams P4, and the Vita is the most likely candidate because they don't have the resources to remake P4 for the PS3/360, and they already popped their 3DS cherry with a barely improved port of Devil Survivor. It could just be some dumb P4-themed social cellphone game, who knows.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well I figured it was P4 related but thank you for confirming "rerelase on the Vita" was a rumor, I thought I had missed some confirmation in between all of this.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

TurnipFritter posted:

they already popped their 3DS cherry with a barely improved port of Devil Survivor.

No they didn't, DS: Overclocked was developed by Atlus USA, not Atlus Co. (as if you couldn't tell by the quality of the game).

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Does that mean there isn't even a Japanese version? That's... very odd. Did Devil Survivor sell really well?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
That's right, Overclocked is North America only. Devil Survivor outsold expectations in the US, and Devil Survivor 2 which just came out in Japan will be coming to the west soon.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Justice posted:

That's right, Overclocked is North America only.

Man, Atlus Japan is gonna be pretty surprised!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, weren't the first screens revealed on Famitsu's site? I definitely remember there being a Neogaf thread about it.

The biggest thing I want to know about the game is: Is there a Magical Girl path starring Midori? This is very important.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
That makes sense. It's not like the 3DS has a competitive library at the moment, so it'd be an easy sell.

I might pick up the JP version just so see how Atlus Co. localizes Atlus USA's additional content to Atlus Co.'s game.

e: it comes out September 1st in Japan, but I just remembered that the 3DS is region locked :downs: oh well, I still haven't touched Devil Survivor 2 since the first day...

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 25, 2011

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Momomo posted:

Yeah, weren't the first screens revealed on Famitsu's site? I definitely remember there being a Neogaf thread about it.

The biggest thing I want to know about the game is: Is there a Magical Girl path starring Midori? This is very important.

I'm not that far yet, but Midori's voice is the most annoying thing in the game. The rest of the voice acting ranges from "alright" to "actually kinda good", but Midori's VA is terrible.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Considering her character and design, were you expecting something different?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Justice posted:

That's right, Overclocked is North America only. Devil Survivor outsold expectations in the US, and Devil Survivor 2 which just came out in Japan will be coming to the west soon.

Wait, is that certain? And if so, is Atlus trying to deliberately hide it? All info sites I can find credit Japanese developers with Overclocked - specifically, they mention Takada as the director. Takada also gave some interviews about the game to Famitsu and such, and it's usually implied in them that the game was developed in Atlus' Japanese studio.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Maybe I'm completely off. I would say I was thinking of something else, but nothing else even comes close to fitting the description of that scenario :confused: so in that case, I definitely misheard someone.

At least this goes to show how far removed from the pulse of the subject I am.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.

Momomo posted:

Considering her character and design, were you expecting something different?

Yeah, Midori was terrible, period.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I want a persona 3/4 hd re-release with trophies!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I want a persona 3/4 hd re-release with trophies!
JRPGs have horrible trophies it'll probably involve having a perfect playthrough, getting every character to 99, getting every persona, beating the grindy secret bosses, beating the game separately on each difficulty and having your play clock max out

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Killbot posted:

Yeah, Midori was terrible, period.

But Black Frost is the best so it all balances out.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

JRPGs have horrible trophies it'll probably involve having a perfect playthrough, getting every character to 99, getting every persona, beating the grindy secret bosses, beating the game separately on each difficulty and having your play clock max out

I bet you weren't too big of a fan of 15,000,000 HP secret boss in FFXIII, eh? What a wuss, the true pros can take bullshit trophies like "Do the Land of Carnage without losing any of your units and beating every level 9999 enemy with only a plastic ladel".

But seriously, gently caress JRPG trophies. Trophies work for stuff like adventure, action, fighting games, etc. because they're all set within realistic boundaries that don't make the game a chore, I have not had this experience with any RPG yet.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
FF13 is actually not that bad as far as trophies go, it's the only RPG I have all trophies/achievements/whatever on. You just have to grind like a bajillion turtles to get enough money to upgrade everything but compared to some games (White Knight Chronicles) it's pretty tame.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I liked Tales of Vesperia's boss trophies, but then again considering its battle system it could make trophies that were actual skill-based challenges and not GRIND FOR FIVE YEARS.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Baalster posted:

I bet you weren't too big of a fan of 15,000,000 HP secret boss in FFXIII, eh? What a wuss, the true pros can take bullshit trophies like "Do the Land of Carnage without losing any of your units and beating every level 9999 enemy with only a plastic ladel".

But seriously, gently caress JRPG trophies. Trophies work for stuff like adventure, action, fighting games, etc. because they're all set within realistic boundaries that don't make the game a chore, I have not had this experience with any RPG yet.

Looking through the trophy list for Overclocked, the only really bullshit one seems to be "beat the game without doing any Free Battles", which shouldn't be that hard on a New Game+ (although I'm not sure if it'll accept it on a NG+).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

FART BOSS posted:

Apparently this site appeared today http://p-atlus.jp/

Looks like yet another persona rerelease. Geez Atlus.

For just a brief moment, a tiny hope fluttered in the back of my mind. "Are they finally remaking Persona 1 for next-gen consoles, with full voice acting and all?!"

No. Just more P4 milking. Why, Atlus. :smith: