Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

King of Solomon posted:

So, I just hit (post-game optional boss)Nebiros and, uh...what the hell am I supposed to do there? The dude breaks the rules and attacks three times per turn, and is extremely high level. How exactly am I supposed to kill him?

EDIT: Gonna try reflecting phys and force. See what happens there.
EDIT2: Welp, stats not high enough for that.

I don't know how far ahead your teams are, but you probably shouldn't bother with the optional fights until you can carry over at least 4 level 80+ demons into a new playthrough. Nebiros' gimmick is that he doesn't actually attack you; he spends all his turns reviving his minions after you kill them, and you can't kill him unless you've killed all his minions. If you have a group with a Kishin and a Dragon who can easily take out two groups, you'll do well. There's no trick to killing Nebiros himself unlike the later optional bosses; just bring your highest level demons and punch him out of the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I'm still holding out for a PC game wahahaha who the gently caress am I kidding :smithicide:

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

So I just tried fighting that guy again. It took about two hours, and I game overed because I just could not kill him off. Christ.

Again, Nebiros is purely a check of how strong your demons (and those in your compendium too i guess if you want to farm a whole lot) are. If you can't beat him, try again next playthrough.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Call me a party pooper but I still haven't been convinced that I should care about Yet Another Persona remake. Bring us P5 already.

Better yet, a new mainline SMT game.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

The day 3 and day 4 bosses are really taxing, but the difficulty dies down after that until day 7.

The answer to the boss of day 2 is basically Angels.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

It seems to me like Jungo is the only one whose rescue isn't completely obvious. Unlike the others who just require you to search for them as soon as you can, Jungo's rescue is about finding a piece of RAM. What the hell?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, and Keita's is the first one that the plot won't handhold you for; if you think you'll just rescue him as part of the plot like it would've gone in DS1, you're in for a rude awakening.

To be fair, Keita dying probably provides the best story experience, so we should just assume it's canon.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Pierce+ and Endure+ are both found sometime within Anguished One's path, but I can't remember exactly where.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I think everyone can agree that the best and second best character are respectively Jungo and Jungo. Everyone else falls into the "not Jungo" tier.

quote:

Ronaldo, though; man, gently caress that guy. Worse than any over-hyped stereotype of Yuzu that ever existed on any forum.

I think Ronaldo was supposed to be a parody of those weird vigilante guys who dress up in latex super-hero costumes. He definitely has the right idea, though; I would've chosen his ending first if I wasn't intrigued by Al Saiduq's (which turned out to be nonsensical crap).

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

The chattering in this thread urged me to re-play Persona 4, and sweet god that color palette is an unholy abomination. I'll take P3's bluish-black palette over this eye-devouring monstrosity any day.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

There's always the chance that Atlus will realize a -third- highschool dating sim entry to the series would be overkill and maybe try to mix things up.

Right? :smith:

And while we're dreaming maybe they'll follow P5 with a new mainline SMT game rather than dumping a half dozen more remakes on the next gen handhelds.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Tae posted:

Well the "social links" in DS2 is a bit more direct in that they decide whether that character lives or dies.

No, it affects whether or not they'll be convinced to join you if you choose a path that isn't their own. Unless I'm unaware of something it doesn't affect whether or not they live.

edit:

Tallgeese posted:

To tell the truth, I actually prefer Devil Survivor style gameplay over the regular games at this point.

Dungeon crawling has its charms, but Devil Survivor is somewhat more tactical, which I like.

Now if only they would make SMT Ogre Battle.

I feel the same way -- been a strategy RPG enthusiast since Final Fantasy Tactics. Hopefully DS1 and 2 were successful enough that Atlus will keep making games for the genre.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 25, 2012

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Technique posted:

So Devil Survivor 2 FINALLY came in the mail (after 32 days. :gonk:)

I know this has been asked before, but what are the things i should be aware of before i begin? To avoid shooting myself in the foot statwise, and such?

The one thing that tripped me up was the second preventable death. When one of the characters tasks you with finding some RAM, drop whatever it is you're doing and go find it. Don't view any character cutscenes unless you're sure the RAM scene isn't available yet -- I forget whether or not it's immediately available.

You don't have to build the MC for magic. There's a lot more worthwhile physical abilities (and they hit for amazing numbers), and they toned down the amount of physical reflection you'll meet during the game.

The day 3 boss is nasty so get your team in top shape.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

EDIT: I haven't actually played Devil Survivor and this conversation is making me want to

My very biased opinion is that you're missing out. They use recycled assets and are obviously low budget but make up for it with with a gameplay system that's just better than the old turn-based RPG framework.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Thuryl posted:

Three, if you want to make an Ultimate Hit/Attack All/Rage Soul team. The skills needed for that are very much endgame/NG+ things, though.

Technically, you could have a fourth physical character who's based on the Holy Strike active skill if you were really invested in having a full team of people who destroy demons by punching them to death. It's probably best to stick to two, however, and physical skills aren't so great until the second half of the game so there might not even be space for two physical characters until then.

Near the end game I had two physical characters: the first was the MC with Multi-Strike, Multi-Hit, Piercing Hit / Drain Hit, Phys Drain, Phys Amp / Blitzkrieg and the second was Makoto with Samarecarm, Mediarahan / Attack All, Pierce, Phys Repel / Rage Soul. They both had a Dragon in their team and killed the end boss much faster than should be possible.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Technique posted:

Benetnasch. Why. Why would this be... how. Why? :sigh:

If you haven't started abusing Dragons yet you deserve your fate.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Technique posted:

Also, am i the only who really hates Ronaldo? :mad: I thought he'd be more sympathetic when i was doing more of his events in my NG+, but it only makes him seem like a bigger dick. No way am i going to bother doing his ending, even though i'll try to get all the others.

Yeah this whole "selflessly helping out the starving, powerless masses" gig is so laughable. I don't know about you guys but in an apocalypse scenario I'd totally be an alpha survivor -- I learned all about doomsday survival from Left 4 Dead so helping people? gently caress that.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Pierce posted:

Humanity losing all freewill is good?

Yous should get DS1 though. It'll be more frustrating though.

That's ridiculous. Humanity doesn't lose all free will in Ronaldo's route. They simply gain the urge to work together and lose the urge to trample over others for their own gain, just like you and me don't get the urge to jump off a cliff -- is that mother nature being tyranical towards us? Both current humans and Ronaldo humans have their own set of urges and restraints, so the question that must be asked is: which is better? Humanity that works together for the good of all, or humanity that feels the urge to step all over others?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Pierce posted:

Absolutely not it's a fundamental change in human nature. I'm not arguing for Yamato's ending as it is the same. Daichi or Saiduq's are preferable to the BF Skinner type utopia vs Yamato's meritocracy. So which is better? Neither as they both destroyed the concept of self as we currently know it. Third option as I think the writers intended.

You're right in your analysis that it's a fundamental change in human nature, but you don't bother with the critical point: explaining why such a thing is actually bad. Instead you assume that it is and carry on with this flawed premise.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Am I the only one who thinks 'Dye me with your colour' is an utterly hilarious line?

Made me laugh, too. It's like a parody of a poorly written dating sim, except it's almost certainly unironic.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Pointless paraphernalia whose price is propped up by artificially low supply. What's not to like?

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Is the 3DS region locked? I might finally pick one up when SMT4 is released; I've been on the edge about buying one for a while, and all that furigana -- if the game ships with it -- will help me practice my neglected Japanese.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Artix74 posted:

Yes. For what it's worth though, Atlus hasn't missed localizing an SMT game since SMT: Nine (or whatever the Xbox one was).

Too bad. By the time the game reaches North America, the 3DS ought to have dropped in price a bit, so I won't complain. Haven't all handhelds before it lacked region locking, though? I swear Nintendo has taken any goodwill I may have had for them since childhood and dragged it through miles and miles of asphalt.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

I'm currently playing through the new story of Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker, and boy did they introduce one hell of an overpowered skill. Roughly at the same time as you get Drain, you can get Shield All EX, a super-bullshit Auto Skill that gives you an automatic Shield All at the start of every fight for 18 MP. In case you've forgotten, Shield All nulls one non-almighty attack, with the associated loss and gain of bonus turns. Essentially, whoever is using it might as well be invincible.

The new skills I've seen up to now range from kind of useless (Extra Zero removes all skill costs during extra turns) through situationally useful (Demon Dance is a Curse-element Dance-type move that does 2-5 hits for 25% of current HP -- it's very good against bosses and mid-bosses that don't negate it; Kinetic Vision is an Auto Skill that buffs the whole party's stats by 50% whenever someone dodges an attack) to super-overpowered (Shield All EX).

I get the feeling they slipped up on the difficulty in general, to be honest. The first boss has an attack range of one and is therefore a complete joke, and while the second one can be a bit of a dick move (there are four mid-bosses; they and the final boss gain Null against whatever element you used to finish the others off, leaving you one element and Curse at the end), his over-reliance on Ice makes him a bit of an offensive pushover. Ice is the best element to leave him vulnerable against, because you get Wendigo -- a demon who reflects ice -- at the same time as you fight the boss, allowing you to kill him just by reflecting his own Bufudynes.

As for the story... eh. They could have done something good with the intrigue that they introduce at the start, but it quickly gets jettisoned in favor of the crew getting back together and picking up DeSu2's jarring superposition of summer comedy slapstick jokes and a hopeless apocalyptic scenario. I don't like the plot, but the dialogue's good enough.

Neeksy posted:

I'm fairly impressed with some of DeSu2's voice acting besides that one police officer who must have been a temp track placeholder because holy poo poo there is no good reason that take would have been kept otherwise.

Daichi, Joe, and Fumi's performance styles stand out as the best, at least to me. Fumi's actress does this kind of nonplussed naturalism and actually reminded me of an attitude/speech style I've seen in real life.

Yeah; it ranges from bad to good enough. I don't know what they told Io's voice actress to do, but she consistently sounds like she ran ten miles to get to the studio and is desperately trying to catch her breath. I also don't like the pick they made for Jungo -- he sounds way too high-pitched and wimpy for the coolest, manliest character. Other than that, it's okay which I'm thankful for because for some reason Atlus hates the idea of leaving the original japanese voice acting in.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Only Atlus can tell why Atlus doesn't leave in JP voices, but if smaller localization companies can do it, I figure Atlus probably could, too.

As for Extra Zero, it's too situational in my view and you're better off sticking to Tyrants and Divines for MP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

Well, I finally finished the Triangulum arc of Record Breaker despite buying it two months ago. The last fight got pretty intense when I ran out of resources to sandbag with and he summoned four more mooks. I was kind of dreading having to do the whole three-fight sequence over again, but physical damage spirals so far out of control that he just exploded within two skirmishes.

Refreshingly, the endings are pretty far off from the usual SMT fare even though nothing really makes much sense by the end. Amazingly, Ronaldo and Keita agree on one path, and although it's probably the worst idea by any calculation -- practical or ethical -- I went along with it because holy hell it's cool.

All in all, the game is a bit too easy in ways that wouldn't be very hard to fix -- there's just so much power given to the player just by giving him the first turns at the start of every map that, if they want to keep that mechanic in, they'd definitely have to lengthen fights in some fashion in order to mitigate its impact. Also Evil Flow man, Evil Flow just has to go.