Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Nocturne was artificially more difficult for most people because it was a) the first appearance of the press turn and b) a lot of people's first Megaten game ever.

This is what leads to people getting their poo poo plowed in by Matador in the US version, as people really weren't expecting it nor were people masters of the of the summoning mechanics and the press turn system. Also the skill system probably led to people making some really dumb choices without prior knowledge of the usual Megaten spells/skills.

Once you get past Matador though there's plenty of time to master the systems. Aside from that little bump, the hardest part of Nocturne is staying awake through some of the overly long'ish dungeons and not getting one-shot by various stupid stuff. Really if you come from even playing Persona games, you should feel right at home in Nocturne (although you'll probably swear up a storm when a boss Hamas your MC and none of your demons give a poo poo :>)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Alteisen posted:

Naoya's is rough but I didn't find it that hard, the brokeness of a magic based MC+Holy Dance/Drain made the game pretty trivial.
This right here is what ultimately decides a lot of boss difficulties. Especially Gin's last one.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

Drain gives you unblockable huge amounts of HP and MP restoration and can utterly cornhole many enemies just by removing their ability to cast spells. It is a fantastic ability in all ways.
There's really no point in using drain in DS2 once you're past day 4 or so. The game is really best played with alpha strikes. If you're legitimately not one rounding everything (including most bosses) then I'd say you've built your humans messily. At some point demons also become relegated to just shields/healers/utility with the occasional damage abilities in niche cases (hello shield all).

For the most part day-7 humans can solo everything in extra-turns, or double-extra turns. 40 strength assassinate, 40 magic holy dance, 20+ str/20+ agi multi-strike, 40 strength mow down, etc. You just have to watch resistances/reflection in the case of physical, but thankfully there are abilities to help with that too.

Also I feel like none of this should be surprising. We learned a lot of lessons in Devil Survivor 1 and the game didn't really change all that much, so it's a rinse/repeat of the same end game with slightly weaker bosses. It's more just a "wee time to break the game" feeling.

Pharohman777 posted:

Drain and Holy dance are good, but not THAT good.
And besides, screw Drain, Magic-Yang is where it's at, pal.
Holy dance is mainly good because it bypasses all resistances and more importantly, any reflections. It is pretty much unstoppable since it's almighty (same with drain, and the mediocre Forget debuff).

Any MP auto abilities are kind of non-optimal since you can substitute those with either demon abilities or just by raising your MP pool. Realistically it's pretty hard to burn through 300 mana if you are using mana stream unless you are solo'ing maps. If you are running out then any late-game Tyrant like Hecate with a large mana pool is something like a 100 mp regen per battle (that's two free holy dances). Tyrants tend to be good demons anyway, Hecate was always one of the best since it learns Anti-Most.

On the other hand though there's really no necessity to play optimally. It's a pretty fun game and you can do a lot of things. I enjoyed the buff that AGI stuff got personally.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 7, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
You'll notice a running trend in every response to "how do I fight Botis":

Basically once you have dances, you should have dances equipped on everyone magic-based and use them heavily against anything that's potentially threatening. By the time EVERYTHING ON THE MAP is a threat, you should have enough MP to use dances every single turn. Equip them as appropriate to counter specific bosses (this is how you can one-round most any boss unless it's there's an annoying barrier spell in use, but dances do well with those).

Eventually you'll get the -dyne spells and other stuff to replace dances if you want something else. Although dances scale well and are great pretty much all game. Also if you didn't know, but Force/Ice/Physical/etc boost can be coupled with the equivalent Amps as well for even more damage if you ever want it. The ability to passively boost an element is one of the big advantages elements have over almighty spell effects.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 7, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

MotU posted:

The biggest threats are always bosses, which are single targets so dances work great on them. Everything else that isn't a boss, just Assassinate.
To an extent on the dance tactic. Most of the special cases are obvious though so not worth running through.

Definitely wouldn't go assassinating every single trash mob though since you are throwing a lot of experience and I believe macca also out the window when you do so.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Dragongem posted:

ughhhhhhhhhhhh This is really annoying, now I'm gonna minmax every conversation with Joe wondering if I could or couldn't have :ohdear:
You only need to do this if you want to get everyone's fate to 5 in a single play through. There's a wiki page out there for that.

Otherwise they give you more than enough conversations throughout the game to get to 5 just by winging it. And if you love a particular character, just choose to help the group he's in when the game starts doing group splits and such - you get a decent bonus for this. Most people end up at Fate 5 at the end though, so as long as you go into a certain part of the game at Fate 4 (it will be obvious when) then you have nothing to worry about.

Just by winging it I got everyone but three characters to Fate 5. It's not that hard.

Plutonic Cheddar posted:

Well I had Keita die at the stairs, but I didn't appear to do anything to trigger it. Can anyone explain where I went wrong, or is that supposed to happen? I wanted my first run to be a clean one, but I guess not. :smith:
What probably throws people for a loop there is that there's a plot scene at the same location that you need to trigger before you can trigger the save, or else it just covers up the battle.

Generally I tried to do all plot related stuff and then personal stuff afterwards. You usually end up with like 6 hours of socializing at the end of the day, or sometimes the characters will straight up tell you that you have time to spare until a certain time to progress plot. I heard you can miss some side quests doing this but if it's anything like the detective then I didn't care (so much time spent for some weak back story and a semi-okay demon, ho hum)

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 8, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Zelmel posted:

Does anyone know how hard/possible it is to buy games for the Vita on the Japanese PSN (and if it will make it more difficult for me to also buy things on the US PSN)? I'm thinking it might be worth it to play P4G in Japanese, if only for some language practice.
There's an all-purpose import thread that should help with this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3362476

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I didn't even know that boss could recombine. I blew that thing up so hard that I was extremely disappointed.

Physical based humans tend to be the most devastating bosses in my experience though. Thankfully Ronaldo is somewhat held back by preferring ranged attacks.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah but it's very much shackled to the fact that anything with physical reflect is an instant shut down. There is no way to bypass that defense I believe. It's mainly an issue on a handful of bosses.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The tooltip says resist, drain, null, etc. Unless the tooltip lies and even then I am pretty sure I tested this once upon a time and ate it in the face.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
She's not putting her hands on her boobs, she's pulling on her ribbon nervously.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Actually I added the etc. Bad habit of mine. Has anyone seen holy strike in DS2? Holy Strike was something they added in DS1:Overclock so STR based characters had a way to deal with reflect. It was kind of blah though.

Also looking more at Overclock, it seems that's when they buffed the poo poo out of STR in general and not just DS2.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 11, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

DrManiac posted:

Piecing hit is pretty much a pierce infused attack. Unlike regular pierce, it also cuts through repel.
Nope, as I said before - it doesn't in Devil Survivor 2. I just tested it a second time in case I was crazy, and had it reflected right back at me.

Only an almighty-typed physical attack will go through repel. Although I never cracked it so I must have missed it at some point in the game. They added this in Overclock so STR based characters could fight the bonus boss.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Think we've seen a little combined attack animations in the trailer already.

Dragonatrix posted:

Doesn't Assassinate go through Reflect? Based on the description it should and I read that it will, but I'm not going to go out and test that anytime soon.
Nah, the description for Assassinate is referring to the defense bonus leaders get when they have live demons around them. Using assassinate is like doing a single physical attack on a leader without any demons in their party. All drains/reflects and such work as advertised.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

ImpAtom posted:

She looks like she just slipped on a banana peel and is about to take a horrible tumble, but hasn't realized it yet.
Whenever I see box art, I just assume everyone is floating through zero gravity and it all makes sense again.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Disagree about the threatening aspect (although screw some of the stupid bathhouse bad luck fights!) but that's up to personal skill more than anything. It's really unfair to compare anything to P3/P4 since they were made in a generation where quickly resolvable combat is fairly important (whether it be through difficulty or user interface improvements).

Persona 2 just feels so clunky to play and I was really surprised that they didn't go much further to improving the overall speed of combat.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Pureauthor posted:

Otome has a pretty good design, I think. Makoto's all right, too.
Mullet Makoto!

I liked Fumi's get-up aside from her galactic sized chest.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
All of the pout stances are really awful, yeah. Thankfully you never see the lower halves of any characters in the game.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Hero Soul is countered by not doing a thing against AoEs unfortunately. This counts for stuff like Deathbound etc.

It's an all right combination but it's not game breaking or anything.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I had a mainly physical MC in DS1 and he did really well. Physical pretty much outdamages everything for most of the game, there's one skill that either does a critical hit or misses, if you give your MC the skill that automatically boosts accuracy it just makes that skill always hit and well everything doing double damage now.

If a guy has reflect just don't hit him.
The Overclock edition also buffs physical by adding the good skills like multi-strike.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah I definitely felt the humans themselves were way stronger in DS2 than ever before. It made me pretty lazy about fusions later on.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The worst is that counter attacking actually consumes whatever resource is driving your turn count. So you can have a unit get flooded with constant counter attacks which delays their turn even more. It's a small problem mid game but it was really annoying when it happened.

In regards to Jungo - people love multi strike and assassinate and all but I feel that skills like Deathbound are still really good late game too.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Do you have a particular example? I can't actually think of anything in particular. You can always compensate by fusing strong demons anyway, there's such a big variety of abilities on the demons and the flexible inheritance system helps too.

Also use evil flow if humans are giving you problems. I would not be surprised if they added evil flow specifically to counter other humans.

Honestly I think the biggest game breaker in the final day is probably reflect physical. If you don't have reflect physical for the very last battle, you're probably going to end up doing some kamikaze maneuvers to kill the final guy.

[e]Actually I am willing to bet an intelligent combination like a dragon bind/hero combo would probably work well with some outside healing from Goddess' Grace.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 22, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think the only real bullshit element to the last fight is that its so physical heavy. I really don't get why they made it so physical damage heavy. At least only one part of the boss has pierce so null and drain will keep your humans alive as long as you don't stand on the platform.

I really like the final fight cause it rewards quite a lot of different monster abilities. There's strong synergy in flight, demon speed, phantasm, warp step, goddess grace, evil flow, leap. Not so much when it comes to the usual bad abilities though: possession/ghost touch, and the fairy dust crap.

All in all I am still pretty happy with the difficulty curve in DS2, speaking as someone who doesn't like to sleep walk through games and feel rewarded for using the game's mechanics.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 22, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Probably the single greatest advantage Devil Survivor has is that there are really only a handful of decent strategy RPGs to play in the first place.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Plus the "bonus" boss that shows in that stage.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Oldstench posted:

So, do most of you actually enjoy DS2, or do you just play it because a) MegaTen, and b) the lack of good SRPGs on DS?

I'm tempted, but the large amounts of "typical Atlus bullshit" comments is making me worried I'll hate it.
I enjoyed it a lot. The music was much better than DS1 which was probably my single greatest gripe.

The difficulty was reasonably engaging. Mainly what I look for in games these days is that I don't want to sleep walk through a game. Megaten games typically punish you for stupid play and reward you for good play, and DS2 didn't really stray from that I felt. The bosses were varied enough too that I felt like changing tactics was useful, and I enjoyed that especially with the various demon skills.

As far as the story - yeah, it's typical Megaten bullshit which means it's also typical anime bullshit. I enjoyed parts of it, didn't care for others, and was never really insulted of it (people who refuse to play the game cause the tits are too big is a bit out there for me). Jungo and the cat are pretty fun. Joe and his whimsical attitude were fun too. Anri and Himako were fun at times, downright creepy at others. Etc.

Alteisen posted:

SMT stuff is usually one giant dose of runny poo poo dumped on your head till you smack into the solution, even then it takes awhile to get it done, it usually involves brute forcing your way through something, or in regards to other titles, videos and faqs.

Seriously, SMT super bosses aren't even remotely fair and not in a "wow this dude is loving hard" kind of way, more in a "how the gently caress was I supposed to figure that out without a walkthrough way".
It actually really astounds me that you have this much trouble with the game. I feel like if there was a recount of what you were doing, you'd probably have a lot of people just going :psyduck: over the way you play the game. It sounds like you just fundamentally play it in a different way than others that results in a mess of frustration. This may or may not be the fault of the game, but it does make me wonder. I suppose that a lot of us having played DS1 means we knew which abilities from the previous installment were worth cracking at first sight (Dances, Drain, etc) and which demon skills were proven well.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 30, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah, that's a good track. I guess the DS1 OST had a lot more lows than highs for me when I played.

DS1 Low: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSJNUugsq3A&feature=related

DS1 High: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjfo_AuGEFk&feature=relmfu

I wish I could take tracks from both and put them together.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I really want a new Nocturne where I can actually see the demons I fuse.

My gut tells me we'll get another Persona game though.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
He kind of has to be too given how they changed the upgraded persona system. On my first playthrough I was way too late to realize this and only had 2 upgraded personas on my team, so I ended up taking Teddie for my last slot and was very happy with him. Can't stand the footsteps though.

I really thought they were going to upgrade through plot again.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah, that's similar to what I did. I used a chokepoint team that was built to tank Beldr and I just stood behind that team and used chaos wave over like two or three turns to take him down.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That's because they're not moving and your "counter attack" (which you don't actually get in most cases!) counts against you too. That's real culprit of everyone's complaints about the turn system.

On the topic of DS2, why do all the police officers look like vampires or whatever?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Were they recycled from DS1? It's been forever since I touched DS1 so I honestly couldn't remember. I figured that was the case.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I think you should give P3:FES a shot personally.

If you liked P4, you really should like P3 as the general playstyle of the game itself is pretty similar. There's a social aspect, and the turn-style combat aspect of it. There are differences in the nuances but as you can tell it mostly just causes woeful P4 vs P3 arguments that boil down to personal preferences.

On the other hand P3PSP changes the format around moderately to accommodate the PSP. To a point that I can honestly see how it would put some people off due to the lack of visual engagement.

Keep in mind you might genuinely be burnt out on Persona itself. They are long games and you are basically looking at another 60 hours or so of a game you just came off playing or whatever. I would really not worry about the AI, it screws you in some battles but for the most part it's not an ongoing thing. Also in P3 you start with the weakness scanner unlike P4.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
For me it's the audio that drives me nuts in P3PSP. The different recording volumes on the new VA is very noticeable to me and sounds jarring at times.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Japanese Engrish is the best, I hope they never change it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

King of Solomon posted:

As far as must-have links are concerned, I'd say your primary party (that is, the ones you use) and the Hermit. There are probably some others I'm not remembering.
Just this. Hermit enables some key gameplay functionality that you want to get earlier rather than later (two things aside from the usual slink stuff - one obvious when you first get it, and one not-so-obvious when you max it out and revisit).

Honestly on my first playthrough of P4, I did it *all* wrong and the only thing I was regretful about was not upgrading some of my party mate's s-links to the max. You miss out on some specific gameplay mechanics and it was simply because I had made some assumptions from Persona 3 (being vague intentionally here).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Don't care for the music much myself but the dancing is fabulous.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How does Persona 2 on the PSP compare to a modern RPG? I mentioned this before but played the fanpatch earlier and it just felt... old? Some games age well and it seemed like one of those games that didn't. I also wasn't really feeling the gameplay, the story was interesting though but I don't want to play 2 70 hour games for a story.
Hate to burst your bubble but Persona 2 on the PS1 is in fact an old game. Old games don't "age" into great games on their own. The story is interesting because it's so different and the gameplay is something of a chore for most people. The PSP remake is also pretty rough in the load time department unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Just don't give up when you fight the Matador. Level up and figure it out or come ask the thread for help and one of us will tell you the game breaking abilities that make him (and a lot of bosses) a push over.

Other than that it's not really that much harder than the other games but rather you will get a lot of bullshit wipes because it's instant game over whenever the hero dies. You can use a lot of the usual Persona 3/4 tactics to great success in Nocturne: buffs, debuffs, protect your weaknesses, exploit theirs.

On the fusion front - eventually you can make sacrificial fusions where you sacrifice another demon to inject a certain level of experience into the fusion process. I think it's like 1.5 times the experience of the demon being sacrificed.

Oh yeah, don't ever dismiss the pixie (or its fusion) you get at the start of the game. You can fuse it wherever you want, but don't ever sacrifice/dismiss the demon that it fused into. Just keep on fusing it forever/upgrading it and something magical may happen near the end of the game.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 4, 2012