Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Marin Karin posted:

Alright, thanks. Yeah, I knew in advanced about the party thing since I got spoiled about it a long time ago - though I'm pretty glad I did since I never used those two members so I probably would have gotten really pissed in the second game. I'll probably go ahead and buy it since I really loved the themes and atmosphere the game had, even if the weird story turn makes me wary. Does the overall mood stay the same or do they make it into the He-Man movie where it's just wacky hijinks after being teleported to the real world? Hopefully cannibalizing your enemies is still in.

Although if the story just turns into a sitcom about Heat & co. I'd be pretty satisfied. :allears:

Cannibalizing your enemies is always in.

Unless there are parfaits nearby.

Joking aside I loved both games, and the mood in DDS2 changes a little, but I didn't mind it. It's hard to be "wacky" in that kind of environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Akarshi posted:

Woot, I finally, finally got my hands on Digital Devil Saga! Been looking for it for forever.

In most SMT games I usually go for a Vitality - Magic build with some emphasis on strength, but I get the feeling that this might not be a very good idea in DDS due to the devour system and the fact that, so far, it seems I have permanent party members with predetermined specialties. (like...that girl seems like the magic caster, Heat seems like a physical kind of guy) Does it matter what build I give Serph? Kind of weird playing an SMT game with no demon fusions, but so far I'm liking DDS. The story seems like it's shaping up to be really interesting.

I'll add a vote in for physical. Once you get iron stomach you can eat as much as you want, whenever you want, then go ahead and make him a caster if you wish.

The Divine Orator posted:

From memory the white varna is supposed to be an embodiment how sera percieved serph. I think the idea might have had something with establishing who serph was as a true individual, rather than a construct of others (or more specifically seras) memories? Maybe. It's been a while since I've played the games. Doesn't the white serph appear in the board-shorts he wore in the beach simulation? That would probably clinch it.

This is the conclusion I drew as well, so your memory is accurate.

kthegreat posted:

Also, one other quick question about DDS2. Where is a good spot to farm money? I'm trying to grind out some Mantras, but money is holding me back at this point. Also, gently caress the fact that they made it almost 500k more expensive to get both Dekaja and Dekunda in this game.

You want to farm flowers to sell money fastest. You can find them and enemies drop em.
Edit: I made a list. By dungeon.

Cable- Kaiwan drops Clover
Tower- Setanta drops Amaryllis
EGG Facility - Sarasvati Drops amaryllis, Baphomet drops Daisy
Power Plant - Yaksini drops Daisy. Vetala drops Rose
EGG Facility round 2 Phoenix drops Rose. Hanuman drops Sakura
Airport Nyx drops Sakura. Nandi drops Jasmine. Nidhoggr drops Jasmine.
The Sun Skadi drops Jasmine. Lilith drops manjusaka. Thor and Barong drop olive branch.

The Data monsters are all in the final dungeon.

The Sarge Girimekala drops HP
Mada drops MP
Surt drops power
Horus drops magic
Barong drops quick
Arahabaki drops vital
lilith drops luck

Happy grinding

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 7, 2011

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Rinkles posted:

This is amazing.

If I may contribute something odd myself, following the Strange Journey LP has informed me that there are way too many angels.

I cannot remedy that, so here is a barong dressed as lu bu.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

My fan request would be to have Dojima as a party member.

But we all know that isn't gonna happen.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Strange Journey question, concerning the new game + area.

I'm currently stuck in the Grus B3 floor, the area with all of the one-way doors. I have been kinda stumped here for a while and even used a guide and a map to try to proceed to B4 to meet up with Metatron.

The problem is after taking the northeast stairs down, I'm instructed to go west twice, south once and west again. On the online map I can clearly see there is a hidden door there that I can proceed through, and I have unlock E and gate search E, but when I go there I cannot interact with the door. As instructed the other side is under sanctum B before I attempt this.

How do I get to that west section? When you look at the large map it's approaching the middle and the area above the south-west door in the area. It's very fustrating and I'll max out all my dudes at 99 before I figure this out on my own, I think. Yes I've already beaten Aliat.

Do I need to go back to that floor in the normal map or something?

Edit: Several hours and phase shifts later I not only made my way to my destination, but kicked Demiurge's rear end and let God become whole again. My strategy for him was jamming his turns full of jihads and luster candies so he was stuck on dekuna and dekaja most of the time. . Easiest SMT bonus boss I've fought, but when he did connect it still hurt like a bitch.

Party was Player at 92, Shiva at 99, Scathach at 84 and Demonee-ho at 88. Two had salvation, all three had jihad, and two had luster candy. Player spent most of the time using moan bullets or throwing a bead of life.

Was it worth it? I think so.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 21, 2011

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Frank is amazing and don't you forget it.:colbert:

Anyways, it'd take a great amount of research for a Persona game to take place in America and honestly? I don't think that's their cup of tea. I'm curious as to where the series will go and look forward to Persona 5, but I am confident that they will create a solid setting for the game regardless of where it's actually located. Whatever mythology theme is cool in my book too, since the SMT series and spin-offs really like to expand on them in a unique way.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

Shin Megami Tensei GBA is now available on the iOS for fourteen bucks. Also it's still in Japanese.

Purchased!

Now I have an excuse to do an ultra-blind run of this game. Let's see how far I get before I fail miserably.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Len posted:

Does anyone have any advice for fighting the Naga boss in DDS2? She's kicking my rear end thanks to the constant fire wall.

In the Power plant? I thought that was a guy? It's been a while.

If I recall it has buddies that you need to take out first. If it helps, use earth against the little guys to get more turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Len posted:

Don't say this. It doesn't inspire hope.

Oh, I'm glad you kicked the naga's face in!

On the other hand Have fun with the EGG 2's Boss. Bwahahahahah.

I really hope I wasn't the only one that got stuck on that one for a bit.

Don't worry, the next dungeon isn't so bad. The final one is a doozy but does, in fact, look and sound awesome.

Persona 4 stuff: I'm just going to ignore all of this Naoto and her crazy...whatever is going on there, as I liked her in-game.