Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~

kthegreat posted:

I had a quick question about DDS2. Spoilers ahead.

I just beat the EGG for the second time, but one thing wasn't clear to me. I know that the black Varna was the demon that the real Serph became when Sera's sadness caused God to send out a huge rush of data that corrupted him. But who/what is the fake white Varna that you also fight? I do have to say that I love that real Serph was a manipulative bastard.

From memory the white varna is supposed to be an embodiment how sera percieved serph. I think the idea might have had something with establishing who serph was as a true individual, rather than a construct of others (or more specifically seras) memories? Maybe. It's been a while since I've played the games. Doesn't the white serph appear in the board-shorts he wore in the beach simulation? That would probably clinch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

I really hate the idea, but the 3ds putting Australia a month or two behind the states again has me contemplating the whole American 3ds angle. Australia might not even be getting soul hackers or SMTIV at all (but we could always get another amazing exclusive like hotel dusk or Xenoblade at any given time as well :v:). I mean when they can't even bother to simultaneously release bread and butter titles like the Mario games it doesn't enthuse you about the schedules for niche titles later down the road. DD should be the answer, but it's still so underutilized and if you live in a region with bare bones internet coverage (like I have to at the moment, woe is me :qq:) then you don't really have it as a serious option anyway. But the games industry being backwards in a bunch of weird ways is nothing new after all.

Also I am one of those oddballs who likes the new demons, even if one of them is just the main bad guy from shinkenger and Raphael's sprite is the worst thing in the world (even if I like his DESIGN on it's own). The persona games have had plenty of left field re-designs that worked on their own as well. New Archangles, new loki... maybe we'll finally get a non-lovely Odin (and they'll stop using the garbage DS Thor sprite, Jesus that thing is outdated)

Actually, with most of the recent Megaten antagonists being fairly underused deities or concepts in the series (Izanami, M.A., The akashic record, Brahman) It would be interesting to see the next one be the big ol' debut of Zeus in the series. Make it persona 5 and highlight the disparity between Zeus as a huge rear end in a top hat in myth to the spruced up Disney Zeus from pop culture. Like as a metaphor for the childhood ideals of adulthood versus reality? Or Maybe have him as a big ball of weird, conflicting, POTENTIAL deity that is kind and benevolent, but at the same time vile and unknowable. Hell, make the whole thing about platonic ideals, where he represents the perfect object to mankind's imperfect image of a real god, the deity equivalent to your persona's I guess. It even explains his really conspicuous absence from the series in universe, to an extent! But this is me just talking ~fanfiction~ out of my rear end at this point.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

I guess what I want from the next persona (or SMT considering all the DS ones) antagonist is someone who doesn't just assume it's doing all mankind a favor by destroying it beause we're all super secret nihilists. At least Nyarlathotep was flat out tricking humanity into ending itself because he was our collective id given form ( I haven't played persona 2 in years though, I may be completely wrong about this). Having come out of humanities collective hope that there's always the possibility around the corner, that someway, somehow, the world will stop being so bad in just the tiniest way. I suppose that really works with a works-V-ideal theme, since a lot of those yearnings would be stuff like wishing death on your countries enemies, or 'if only I was in charge' power fantasies. It has a lot of potential to actually FEEL like it's having a global effect too, as the world becomes twisted by everyone's desires. Of course it would probably turn into soap-boxing, but at least it isn't the same LCN alignment crap.

On a general trivia bent, I'm trying to recall if persona 3 ever directly alluded to pandora's box in the actual game. I know a lot of the story on the surface was 'Pandora's box (Pandora is a fat old white guy edition)' but I can't remember if they had a moment like in persona 4 where they actually retell the myth and draw the parralells. I'm making my way through FES slooooowly with my little brother at the moment but it hasn't come up yet and it is really bugging me for some reason.