Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Didn't it come out on the rear end end of 2008 or something? On the PS2??? I'm surprised they got as many sales as they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

I thought, "Heh, lookit these nerds" was your schtick. :confused:

Makes me wonder why the Legends 3 fan participation thing was dumb enough to be poo poo on a dozen times over in the 3DS thread, but pandering to the lowest common denominator with stupid, creepy poo poo like a dumb anime robot who fawns over the player character or near naked grade schoolers is sound business worth defending and getting huffy about.

HarveyVdarski, you max out Aigis' social link for that to happen. It's as cringe-worthy as it sounds.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
People probably would have taken it better if it wasn't a complete retread of the giant eye thing. Oh boy, another mystical entity with the exact same arguments and goals as the previous one that just showed up half an hour ago, only instead of being a cool eye monster, it's an anime lady. Yay. I can't wait to hear more about the fog in our minds or whatever bullshit.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
It's almost as if in 2009 the PS2 was no longer relevant as a platform.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

MelvinTheJerk posted:

Are you sure about that? These are the figures I have from P3 and P4.

Uh...from where? That's kind of important when dealing with figures.

Wait VGchartz, oh god no

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
It didn't help that it felt like the writers flipped a switch on the killer that turned him from nice guy cop to shifty passive-aggressive guilty is written on my face rear end in a top hat in the hospital scene. Then they flicked another switch and he became Creepy Raper Guy, and all the sloppy writing became hilariously justified in one of the most bizarre character shifts I've ever seen.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Krad posted:

What kind of pacing issues? You knew from the beginning that things would only "happen" once every month. It made me look forward to them while at the same time worry if I'd be prepared enough, at least. I liked it that way.

It becomes incredibly formulaic. When half of your game's main plot is "Gee this horrible demon hour sure is weird and a pretty big problem, I guess killing these specific monsters every month will help???", and the only dungeon in the game is Tartarus, it's hard to stay motivated or invested in anything that's happening. It doesn't help that the rest of the plot barely moves at all until September or whenever either, and the school events are major letdowns (Don't they hype something up like a culture festival and it's cancelled due to weather? Great stuff).

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 14, 2012

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
One of the best parts of the Persona 4 Endurance Run was seeing Jeff and Vinny come to the slow, heart-breaking realization that mid-late-mid game Chie is kind of poo poo. It's great that she becomes usable again at, uh, lv 70? or whatever it was, but god drat are the 40-50 levels inbetween rough.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

It really shouldn't have. That would be way too dark for the tone of Persona 4, it would clash wildly with the entire game around it.

Yeah at that point you may as well go hog wild and make Nanako an aspect Izanami made when she got trashed one afternoon and ran over some lady and her daughter because the story sure as hell isn't going to recover from that sort of downer ending.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Proto Cloud posted:

Final boss for P3 may be one of my favorites ever. There's nothing like a tough endurance run to finish off a RPG with. Once you win, you breathe a sigh of relief and a bump to your chest in victory.

The problem is none of the 10 or however many initial forms are any challenge whatsoever so it ends up feeling less like an endurance boss and more like a "waste 20-30 minutes of my time before the real fight starts" boss. I don't want to imagine dying near the end of that fight more than once.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Chie does not kick Yosuke in the balls, he bangs his groin into a desk corner trying to run away from her

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

I know Japanese doesn't have pronouns, but was Yu's name supposed to work as a pun in Japanese, or was that pun just a happy accident that worked in English?

I dunno but if you take Yuu as You and the base hiragana of his last name Narukami you can get something like You the God or thereabouts

Another possible take on it is his last name being based on his Izanagi lightning element since kaminari is Japanese for thunder/lightning and you just swap the bits around to get Narukami

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
drat the bike date poo poo in Golden is some grade A nonsense, doesn't open until late August and the characters are available at completely arbitrary times. Naoto even only has one bike day before the new Golden month though all she really wants is bufudyne anyway. Nevermind how crunched for time you are in the daytime in the first place. Jazz club was a definite step up

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
The PS2 was a force of nature which was great for P4, not so much for FFIX. And the 599$ USD work a second job bluray meme machine was no PS2. Different sales metrics for success for FF and Persona though obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

I dont get how people beat Okumura easily in p5r, I cruised through the game on hard mode up to him and ran into a total roadblock. the fact that you have to wipe out the entire wave in 2 turns just didnt work for me once you got to the 4th or 5th wave and I got stuck in a downward spiral each time with endless reinforcements from the boss. On normal I could just power through with phys moves.

Single target weakness baton pass x 3 + multi target weakness will kill just about every wave save the last one in 1 turn