Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I have to wonder what the hell the shadow's drink is. It looks like death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Knights in the Nightmare is really good, but extremely weird and seems very complicated when you first start out. It's kind of an action/strategy game with some bullet hell aspects and a little bit of RPG-like inventory and character management.

If you like games that are really unique it's a good one to pick up.
I've beaten it twice and I still have no idea how the hell to really play it, but it's a fun game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's personal style, and then there's picture of the MC. Look at the perspective on his sword. Just look at it.

EDIT: And what on earth is going on with his arm/shoulder/elbow situation?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

She will.

And due to the nature of the main character, you can use pretty much any party you want. The only thing to really make sure of is that you have at least a decent source of everything in the game (Buffs, debuffs, healing, and all the elements including the physical ones) between your party members and your Persona.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

xomocekc posted:

while Devil Summoner is a visual novel with SRPG battles (although ever SRPG is I guess, what a dumb genre).
By that logic SMT is a visual novel with RPG battles.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

xomocekc posted:

art direction... Devil Survivor lacks
Uhm. Do you even know what art direction means? Devil Survivor has a consistent style. Maybe it's one you don't like, but it still has one.

Also Devil Survivor is a visual novel, except for the gameplay segments. Nocturne is a visual novel, except for the gameplay segments. Makes sense to me! There have been visual novels with exploration and cutscenes.

Also also, PSP and DS JRPGs have sold a shitton. If they didn't sell a shitton, they wouldn't bother making them. Them selling less well over here doesn't matter, because only Squeenix has a US market beyond a small niche of a small niche.

Not to mention some DS and PSP JRPGs have sold pretty well over here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

xomocekc posted:

Well I didn't think kid's games and shovelware were pertinent to this discussion.
I only play overpriced toys meant for *ADULTS*, thank you very much.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I feel like the only person in the world who doesn't really give a poo poo either way. The 'nuances' of honorifics can be portrayed through just plain ol' dialogue, it just requires careful writing. That said, keeping the honorifics really doesn't bug me at all. It's just a thing.

Also keikaku means plan will never get old to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They've already said P4A is canon, haven't they?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pooptimus Prime posted:

I've never touched the FE series, but I feel obligated to look into them now. Marketing success!

What would be the game to start with?
Three good starting points:

Awakening comes out in like two weeks for the 3DS. As the newest game, it's obviously got the most streamlined gameplay and such, and looks the nicest. It has references to past games but it's standalone, plot-wise. The DLC is all characters from past games, but hey, that's DLC.

FE8 (Sacred Stones) for the GBA is pretty easy and is standalone plot-wise.

FE7 (just Fire Emblem here) for the GBA is a bit harder, but it's still not super-hard (at least on normal) and, while not standalone plot-wise, it's a prequel to FE6. There are a couple of things that go nowhere if you have no plans to play the Japan-only games, but it works fine as a standalone story.

If you don't have a 3DS or anything that can play GBA games, FE9 (Path of Radiance) for gamecube is also a decent starting point. It leads into it's sequel, Radiant Dawn for the Wii, but it's again standalone plot-wise. It's also not that hard, though it can be tricky at times. Graphics are also kinda bad, since it's an early-ish gamecube game.

The only two US-released games that I'd recommend against starting with are 10 (Radiant Dawn for the Wii) and 11 (Shadow Dragon for DS.)

Radiant Dawn starts out balls-hard and, while it gets easier as the game goes on, it has some amazingly hard maps mid-way through the game. It's also a sequel to FE9, meaning if you haven't played that the game will just toss characters you have no idea about at you with no real explanation of who they are.

Shadow Dragon is hard, and... to be blunt, kind of primitive. It's a remake of an NES game, and it hasn't made TOO much of an attempt to bring it up to date. There are conveniences and some new mechanics added, but it's still, at its core, an NES game. It doesn't help that the game has some really dumb mechanics.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dorroile posted:

Can't they just sort of remove the Fire Emblem douchebags and cram in some more SMT characters and make Super Robot Wars or Smash Bros or something, but with SMT. drat it, Atlus.
Can you do this but in reverse? Thanks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

Isn't that what Awakening's DLC is all about?
Yes, but there's only eleven characters and none of the DLC characters have dialogue.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

The problem is most of those games aren't available outside of Japan (talking about SMT 1, SMT 2 and If...).
Hey, half the FE series isn't available outside of Japan. They match!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

We all know that Daisoujou would be using Samsara instead of a lowly Mahamaon though. :colbert:

Do you have a source on this or did you draw it yourself? It's quite nifty.
Searching around for a source on this led me to this tumblr.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The P3 cast being colleagues who barely tolerate each other could have worked, but there... wasn't much of a group dynamic. They barely interacted with each other as a group outside of full moons, and the only time they really get any chance at all to interact during the full moon is early on. Like, if there had been group events like in P4, only with them arguing and sniping at each other instead of being BFFs, and then they grew to like each other over the course of the game, I would have really enjoyed that. Instead you sorta get that with Mitsuru and Yukari (specifically, those two, with eachother) and sooorta with Junpei and the MC, but that's about it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Veks posted:

He has no redeeming qualities, he is just an rear end in a top hat, treats everyone like poo poo and the worst part is that the game wants you to agree with him in everything he says.
Which is why the game makes a point of calling him out on the Kanji thing?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Uhm... you do realize that the pageant stuff wasn't his fault, right? He signed the girls up because he thought they could UN-sign themselves. He is specifically surprised when he learns that Kashiwagi changed it around this year. The game points this out. He thought it'd be a laugh, "Hey girls! Ready for the pageant! :v:" "Yosuke, you cock." Then they go talk to somebody and get it reversed, everybody has a laugh.

He also stops giving Kanji poo poo about halfway through the game, and he... never makes fun of Naoto at all, what the hell? Seriously point the scene where he makes fun of Naoto's issues out to me. He calls Naoto 'little guy' and 'pint-sized detective' but that was before Naoto had joined the party, so he didn't know Naoto's issues. And Naoto had been an rear end to all of them.

Also there's maybe two scenes total where he really forces pandering scenes out of the girls, and, as stated, the pageant thing was only partially his fault. And the swimsuit thing at the school trip happens early in the game.

Also, when the hell does he get 'revenge' for the pageant? He signed them up for it BEFORE they signed him up for the crossdressing thing in return, and he just sorta, get this, glumly accepts it. Like he's annoyed and embarrassed but he rolls with it. And then the pageant thing gets dropped and nobody ever brings it up again after it happens, unless I really missed something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dorroile posted:

It really is terrifying to be the only person with good taste. It's some Planet of the Apes kinda poo poo.
Yeah, I can only imagine what that'd be like. Good thing nobody here's suffering that horrible fate!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

Don't forget Yukiko. It's not as controversial a situation as the other two but that gives them even less of a good reason to go 'wait no, turns out I DO want to run the inn and be the stereotype of the elegant, subservient woman that Japanese society tells me I need to be'.
Her thing only related to her running the inn, not the person she wanted to be. Actually considering her link concludes in her yelling at a guy (who's an absolute rear end, but still)...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The audience and Yosuke going "What the hell is wrong with you?" if you play the MC as really into it are a bit weird, yeah, but I didn't mind the crossdressing pageant too much. Teddie was really into it, and you also have the option to play the MC as not just going with it but really enjoying it, which was nice even if they probably only threw those options in as a gag, and Yosuke finding it all weird fit with his character, it wasn't like he went on a five minute rant about how they were all going to burn in the fires of hell for putting on a dress once or something.

It was dumb but I wouldn't really call it offensive, but whether or not something's offensive or 'wrong' is up for an individual to decide, there isn't some sort of council that convenes and decides what is and isn't offensive.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dehry posted:

Everything Sonic from roughly 1998 on until Sonic Colors/Generations.
Wait, but you just admitted yourself that they turned things around on Sonic and clearly started putting time and effort into the games. How does that translate to them ruining 'all their IPs?' They hosed one up, then they fixed it.

EDIT: Also Sega buying Atlus would mean they could put Jack Frost in their next racing game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

As much as I love Skies of Arcadia, it wasn't a franchise. It was one RPG they made, and there wasn't much room in the ending for a sequel. It's okay for games to just be their own thing. As someone else said, the people that made Panzer Dragoon left, and Streets of Rage was cool back in the day but it just one of eighteen beat 'em ups from back in the day, is anyone really screaming for a sequel?

Phantasy Star is still going strong even if it isn't exactly as people remember it, and they have the Big Project Diva Bux.

I agree that they were kinda lovely with Platinum, but to be frank, Atlus and Platinum are in entirely different leagues.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Isn't that a typical anime way of drawing a scar on a face?
X-shaped scars are pretty common in anime yeah(look at Scar in FMA) but they have basically the same exact scar, and the same hair color. I wouldn't be surprised if they were related in some way.

EDIT: Also for the people who care, his voice actor (in Japanese, obviously) is this guy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

Oh, I'd be completely down for a 60s flashback persona game. Is Sho one of the new characters in the Arena upgrade? It certainly looks like an Arena screenshot there.
Yeah, he showed up in the trailer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It'll probably have new story modes, if that's what you're asking.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dehry posted:

That's enough to slap a new title on it and charge $60 for it.
Actually, going by ArcSys's pricings with BlazBlue, it could very well be $40.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

So long as you max out the three party members you intend to use, it doesn't really matter what other S. Links you get. So just do whatever.

Also, keep in mind the rainy day beefbowl challenge raises characteristics.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I was only level ~60ish for the final boss and I didn't have any trouble. That said I was playing P3P, so I could actually control the party members.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

What are your personas, and what level are they? (Personae? Is it like deer and the plural is just the same word?) Have you been keeping up to date on fusing?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm not sure Sega even has a proper localization staff at this point. All the Sonic games these days are written by Americans, in English, and then translated into Japanese.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Sega ruins everything they touch.

I am legit worried about the future of Atlus.
That game was in dev hell even before Sega came along, though. Correlation doesn't equal causation.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Policenaut posted:

I wonder sometimes why these companies even have suggestion forums. It's just going to be people demanding dumb poo poo like PS3 Umineko or whatever.
Trust me, there were much more insane suggestions. PS3 Umineko is almost reasonable until you realize how much loving text that would be - not to mention the insane amount of VA work if you gave it a dub.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

Hatsune Miku Project Diva F and Final Fantasy Theatrythm showed up here so it could happen.
Nto only that, Project Diva F did so well on PS3 that they're bringing the Vita port of it over too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honestly, the best part of P4D is seeing people get all 'muh serious JRPGs!'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Wasn't this announced a few hours ago? Where are you even reading backlash
The internet, mostly? Comments of news sites I go to.

Also Persona 5 is gonna be released here, Sega does not hate money. The other two are up in the air, though they're both strong possibilities.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Booky posted:

I wonder if there'll be any P1/2 characters in the dancing game? (Probably not :smith:)
There probably won't even be any P3 characters in it. The cast list so far (from that trailer) is Yu, Kanami (original to the game), Rise, Yosuke, Kanji, and Chie. 'And more' probably just means Naoto and Yukiko, assuming Teddie's the DJ or whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I was saying it because is for PS3. Atlus USA would've bringed it even if was for PS2, but I have no idea on Sega's politics.
Considering they released games for the PS2 up until like 2008... yeah, they're going to slash and burn, Hajime Satomi will fly to your house and beat you over the head with a Japanese copy of Persona 5 while laughing maniacally.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The style of 'J-pop' in P3 and P4 was pretty different. P3 was more rap and techno, with some heavy guitar songs thrown in. P4 is Pop-Rock with a touch of jazz.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There are actually a lot of female vocaloid fans too. And I'm sure there's a reason Yu was featured nearly as much as, if not more so, than Rise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Proto Cloud posted:

I dunno, I could be wrong and PQ and 5 turn out fine and my dismay is for naught, but this is a huge cause of concern for me at the moment.
What, a company trying to make money from their product? Yes, they need to preserve the artistic integrity of a series where an anime teenager with five girlfriends shoots himself in the head to summon a giant throbbing penis, and also you can put those girlfriends in chainmail bikinis.

It's a dumb little spin-off thing but it has Zero, Zilch, Zippo, Nada effect on Persona 5. Two different teams are working on them. The only possible crossover I can see is, if the dancing game does well, P5 characters/songs being added as DLC or in an expansion pack after P5 comes out. Which is an effect on P4D, not P5.

What is there to be concerned about? Unless Persona 5 is a rhythm game where you break free from the chains holding you back from dancing like in about seven different 90s movies, there is literally nothing there. P4D might as well not exist.

And if it is, it still probably would be less transparent than Marie in P4G.

EDIT: Heck, isn't it basically just a full game based on that arc in P4G where the gang become Rise's band for convoluted reasons?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 25, 2013