Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I doubt Japan has the stigma against cops that American Lefties in 2020 have. It's supposed to be one of the most respectable of positions, like wanting to be a doctor or a priest. Sure tit doesn't turn out that way but it's the idea.
This isn't remotely true. Even a lot of conservative types see cops as incompetent at best. Look at Zenigata in Lupin, he's a classic character playing off Japanese stereotypes of cops. Of course cops in Japan aren't as reviled as they are in the US and in actual practical terms Japanese cops rarely kill even confirmed offenders who are running or fighting back, much less just suspects, but there's still tensions with minority groups and the homeless that sometimes spark into brutality cases.

There isn't the massive stigma, too, but I definitely wouldn't call it one of the most respected positions unless you make like, detective or something. The stereotypical image of a beat cop is mostly that of a bumbler. Heck, even Persona 4 plays off this with Adachi, a guy who just recently made detective. In a country with an extremely low rate of violent crime, there's been pretty of incidents where cops have come across unequipped or unprepared when extreme crimes do happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i remember bebe which is more than i can say for a lot of the p3 s. links

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The 'female teacher whos self conscious about her age and is unprofessional' thing is a pretty common anime trope but the difference is persona 4 has to be grossly meanspirited about it like it is about everything, and also run it into the ground 10 years past its expiration date.

Persona 4 is just an extremely extremely cynical and meanspirited game, whichd be fine if it wasnt pretending it was about found family and positive growth

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id say persona's sense of humor, isn't very good. the post where someone called it 'mean spirited' is kind of on the money, it feels like a joke cant go without someone 'losing.' but its too goofy and 90s shonen romcom-y to be like, dark or ironic humor.

and also the jokes themselves are rarely that funny even conceptually. there's some decent ones but the entire beauty pageant segment of p4 is basically the death of comedy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

Intentions don't really matter there.
from yusuke's perspective he wasnt really being a creep though. like again, ryuji and the protag are the assholes, not yusuke.

yusuke: would you want to model for me
ann: *walks offscreen for five minutes* sure okay
yusuke: great, i now want you to model for me
ann: haha i have to take off this shirt
yusuke: okay, take of the shirt
ann: okay now i have to take off this other shirt
yusuke: i will wait for you to do so

if he was any kind of creep or whatever he would have been yelling at her to go faster or forcibly try to take them off but he just sits there, politely waiting for her. in-universe ryuji and protag are the weirdos for forcing ann to do something shes clearly uncomfortable with for their own benefit

of course the actual weirdos are the devs for putting in a scene where the joke is a 17 year old sexual abuse survivor doesnt want to strip but has to anyway, and i think people project their discomfort with that onto yusuke rather than the people who actually made the game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

no, I definitely blame the devs for it.

That being said, it's been awhile since I've played and I thought the conversation about if Ann would pose nude or not was had in front of Yusukue. If he wasn't present for that he's in the clear.
he asks if she would, she starts to say no, then ryuji and the protag drag her outside and convince her to say yes. then the infinite shirts gag happens

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean 'decent punchline ruined by the clumsy as hell way it got there' describes a lot of persona jokes. morgana and haru's intro scene is kinda funny but its predicated on the awful ryuji and morgana argument. and yusuke inexplicably showing up with lobsters on the beach is a good joke but everything about both beach trips is probably the nadir of p5's writing, just in terms of consistent plotting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the second op is even better

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my main issue with the morgana/ryuji thing is that the game acts like theyre both at fault or even ryujis slightly more to blame, but it didnt feel that way at all. morgana constantly gives ryuji poo poo and ryuji just kinda takes it, and then the one time ryuji gets one back in on him morgana runs off like hes been attacked. now that could be interesting if it was like, morgana is still coming to terms with the whole having emotions thing, so he can dish it out but not take it, but the game definitely doesn't take that tact. and then its never even resolved. do they even say sorry to each other?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I mean that's consistent across the series. P3 handles it the best because the characters don't actually like each other that much, they're never really presented as the best friend pal squad, they just learn to get over the issues with each other and form a bond of trust. so them addressing their issues with each other is actually a plotpoint.

p4 and p5 has characters have conflicts, because thats good banter theoretically, but then it just... never goes anywhere. like ryuji and makoto have a whole running thing in makoto's intro dungeon and then they don't say two words to each other after. ryuji and yosuke just kinda ends, there's the scene where ryuji calls him out but then its never addressed again, not even a quick 'yo, sorry' from yosuke later. chie genuinely seems to hate yosuke and that's definitely never addressed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stux posted:

[stares directly at camera] even though we had a fight and i was upset with you now i am not, its ok and i forgive you and you are my friend again, i will risk my life for you as my friend, such is how i feel about you. [morgana also turns to camera] thank you my friend for your forgivness and i am sorry for my rudeness. even if we fight sometimes i would still ride or die for you, as my friend. let us hope we can move on from this in a healthy way and enjoy our future friendship from this point onwards and put it behind us.
yes asking for any kind of acknowledgment is asking for this, you're right buddy, you sure pwned us

do you do anything besides post like this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

idk, usually i said 'sorry' but i realize that idea might apparently not be how real humans interact

and my issue is i dont think ryuji sees morgana as a friend. the two characters dont really interact outside the scenes where they're at each other's throats. they dont have to stiffly apologize to each other i just want scenes where they seem like they like being around each other. i realize friends bullshit with each other, obviously, but usually they also do stuff like back each other up or team up to rag on someone else, or whatever, especially in a big group dynamic. there's not really that many scenes where morgana and ryuji seem like buds. like plenty of games i like have character pairs that mostly rag on each other, idk how you got that idea in your head but my point isn't that i don't want conflict, it's that i just want the characters to interact more, in a wider variety of ways, because it'd sell me on the group dynamic. but the group dynamic in persona 5 feels pretty weak, because the ways characters interact with each other is pretty limited and one-note, if they even interact at all. yusuke and makoto exist in the same party but i cant think of any scene where they talk to each other much. i dont think this is an unreasonable criticism.

and again, the issue isnt that 'they're friends that rag on each other,' its that morgana rags on ryuji and then ryuji gets one back and morgana runs off. it makes morgana unlikable.

itd be fine if the characters didn't have an outward moment of apology if i bought them as like, pals, but i dont at all. and its not because they give each other poo poo but because they do nothing but that and then kind of just stop talking to each other past a certain point in the game.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 26, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but then if someone asked me about rpgs with good group dynamics between the party i would literally name a hundred games before i named any persona games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stux posted:

actually went to check the cutscene where ryuji gets mad when they find morgana hurt and harus fiance being abusive and morgana apologizes

lol
since my point is 'it doesnt really matter if morgana apologizes or not i just dont buy their friendship in general' im glad ive been owned again,

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stux posted:

heaving the goalposts onto my back as i make a sprint for the 50 yard line
yeah you keep moving them, glad you admit it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i still dont buy them as pals. also weren't you saying that there not being an apology is better writing? so the writing just got worse for you. you can now join me in the truth of persona 5 bad

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stux posted:

theyre good friends who fight for each other
thats true of literally every jrpg party ever made i dont think its like, a unique trait.

jokes aside a lot of the dialogue in p5 is just recapping the plot, especially the text convos which you'd think would be a good place for more characterization of how the party interacts. there's some jokes in there but a lot of it is 'hey remember that we have to kill my dad.' there's like 3 scenes in the back half of the game that are just the party sitting in a circle recapping everything from the start of the game to now. there's some group activity scenes like the two beach trips and some recurring bits like morgana and ryuji or yusuke and futaba but the game doesn't really devote a lot of time to like, casual interactions or jokes. persona 4 kinda shotchanged some individual character beats (chie and naoto both wanna be cops you'd think they'd have a lot to talk about, but they barely say three words to each other) but there's at least more attempts at big group scenes even if most of them are extremely unfunny. and persona 3 didn't really have a big group dynamic but it never really felt like it was trying to.

iunno, i compare it to something like a tales game where for the most part i can tell you how any given pair of characters interacts and cite some funny moments they had together. when those games try to sell the whole found family jrpg party thing, it works a lot better for me than when persona tries to, since it feels like each member of the group had thoughts and a specific, unique bond with each other member. there's a lot more incidental stuff like battle win quotes, skits, etc, little quick exchanges that do a lot to sell it. persona 5 has like, some combo attacks and baton pass but it isnt really the same. persona 2 and 1 had this issue too though they also seemed less invested in pushing that angle. i think itd be good if the text conversations did a better job seeming like a bunch of friends bullshitting and texting each other, because id buy the friendships more. and if i bought the friendships more, i'd buy the conflict in the party as friends in conflict rather than them just being dicks to each other. the core issue here isnt the fact that there's conflict, or how that conflict is resolved, but the fact that there isn't a lot to these relationships to sell them as meaningful and strong. it just kind of puts the characters in a jrpg party and says they have an unbreakable bond. like i said, if morgana and ryuji teamed up to give makoto poo poo once or something, id instantly buy them as pals way more, especially if makoto got them back at the same time, so they both sort of got owned. just that sort of interaction would establish a lot about them and how they bond.

of course the core issue *there* is the entire cast is centralized around the player self-insert, whos' really hard to create a big group dynamic around since he's, well, the player self-insert. a conversation can't really loop him in in the same way it could a normal character, you can't have ryuji and morgana give the player poo poo and have him react to that in the same way, but he's still the center of the group and the leader, so that definitely has impact on how the game attempts to create this big lovable group of idiots feeling.

im rambling a lot but i hope you get what i mean. i like the basic ideas of the characters and the group dynamic but there isnt a ton of time devoted to it, so i dont really buy it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

katsuya, ulala, and baofu are the dumbest people alive

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Baofu was pretty clever

in a problem solving sense yeah but he wasnt very emotionally mature, he ran away from things whenever he could

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei posted:

yo Ryuji says gently caress in Strikers

Game of the Year
tell me when haru says gently caress

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

really even without the ---phobia in p4 the stories with naoto and kanji would still be kind of lame in the context of the modern persona series. like they talk a big game about breaking social norms, your True Self, etc etc but the most socially unacceptable thing they're willing to get into is loving your hot teacher who's also a maid.

like there's nothing wrong with the stories in a vacuum but they're lame in the context of it being the only thing they can think to do with gay or trans people. as opposed to you know, actually having one of them in the party.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There's also the issue of just...mixing their narratives with plot things that make those narratives not make sense at all. Naoto's representing as a man to get into the field would land a lot better if you ever saw anyone give her poo poo about being a detective because she was a woman, but they don't. They say later that it happens in her dungeon and S. Link but what they show contradicts that completely. The only cop you see complain about her is Dojima and even in his drunken stupor he's just made that the big city cops sent a pre-teen because they think he couldn't do his job.

They want to tell a story but also don't at all. it really feels like they just tacked it on later to go "HEy we're talking about ISSUES here."
the issue there is that the two cops in the game are in order, a guy the game really wants you to like and a guy the game really wants you to like so the twist works. so they cant show the inaba police as sexist or incompetent because those two are associated with it, so theyj ust have the cops make actually fairly reasonable complaints about a literal child coming in from the big city to yell at the yokel cops.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

this is true of every fandom
it definitely isnt true of every fandom

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

But that's, you could just write generic INaba cop being pissy about a Woman Detective coming in. It didn't have to be Dojima Is The Only Real cop. Hell, Have Dojima slap that guy on the back of the head to show while the prejudice exists Dojima doesn't tolerate it so he's still personally likable.

It's so easy to just...actually write the scenes you need in the story instead of the 9th "They Can't Cook" joke.
yes but the persona writers arent very good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

with p5's development time the constant reiterating of the plot feels as much like the writers reminding themselves as reminding the audience. the cracks in p5 are super obvious. ive mentioned the beach dimension where everyone's minds are wiped before but its still insanely funny to me that the game literally forgets that mishima's in on it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if that was the intent they could just have joker have a diary in his room and you open it up and it goes '8/23: ryuji and i got burgers
i bought items
i fused a new persona

8/24:
we have to go fight a yakuza guy'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like the characters in 2 more but there's definitely a couple who just kinda exist. im pretty sure keita only exists to explain how saving people works.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

they removed the fog, but: they added comic sans, to balance it out

tbf a town where everything is in comic sans would be a living nightmare, 10/10 horror design

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

There will sadly always be shitheads but luckily gay acceptance has never been higher in the history of this country. 71% of American support same-sex marriage.

71% of games forums users also think you have a brain like swiss cheese but somehow youre still a mod

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wait is that guy's previous probe for homophobia due to him getting mad some fan artist drew ann and shiho being gay

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the new content in p3p was also directed by someone else and ken aside most of the new s. links are way better than original p3's

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the male p3 protag is very popular too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it works like etrian odyssey. you can't avoid the random encounters the compass is just telling you how soon a fight will happen/how likely one will happen. it goes up as you take steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Randallteal posted:

I don't know where the idea that games didn't run well back in the day comes from. I'm pretty sure none of the PS2 SMT games ran like poo poo.

the raidou games definitely had some fps problems