Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Since we got a new thread I'll repost my question from the last one.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Speaking of the Raidou games, does the second game just have a slow start or is it just not my kind of game? I bought it on release and over the months I've probably only put a few hours total into it and it's really just not grabbing me at all. I'd have to pop it in again to check but I think I'm on Case File 2? Maybe 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Heath posted:

Soooo stoked for Devil Survivor 2. I really didn't think it was even going to come out here.

Really? I'll admit I never saw any sales figures but I thought the first one did pretty well here? I definitely can't wait either though, just sucks we got probably a 6 month wait ahead of us. :(

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Marin Karin posted:

I do have a question though: I've played and really enjoyed the first DDS, but I've heard the second game took a serious drop in quality. Is this true and I should just read the LP of it?

The real issue is if you don't use two particular characters in your party (the game also has no hint that you need to do this) you basically get hosed over constantly and just adds more grind when you eventually switch to them, and some people dislike the direction they took the story. But as people have pointed out before it has some pretty solid themes which is why people tend to not completely condemn it. I personally think it's worth playing still but I can't say you'd miss much by just reading the LP.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm still wondering why they had a new guy do the art for the Devil Survivor series instead of just using Kaneko or Saejima, would have avoided the whole embarrassing character design thing most likely.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Vier posted:

Megaten online? http://megaten.aeriagames.com/
What are the thoughts on this?

I tried my hardest to like this but there are a lot of stupid things like quest progress not sharing between party members, the grind being pretty bad and some of the cash shop prices are just borderline ridiculous. (but I mean it's a K-mmo, that's to be expected) The combat system was neat though but it just feels like the whole game was full of wasted potential.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So am I just blind or is Atlus not doing anything special for Overclocked. Not even a mini-soundtrack? :smith:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I just put one in str/mag/vit every level and it worked pretty well for me. :shobon:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Hey, I'm playing through Nocturne for the first time, just beat Matador, and I had a question about the Candelabrums.

Does lighting them screw anything up later in the game, or does it just let you explore the Kalpa?

Just lets you progress in the Labyrinth of Amala
e: Only possible effect is if you finish them all you get locked into a specific ending (The best ending :smug:, but still) so watch out for that if you're going for one of the other ones.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 9, 2011

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I decided to replay Nocturne and a few things kinda bugged me that I didn't really think about my first run.

1. Were you like out for a long time between the conception and when you awake in the hospital? everything seems to be already established the second the world ends complete with all the lingering souls knowing whats up which I thought was kind of odd.

2. Who exactly is the woman in black? Her dialogue syncs up to your teacher (both say they will be your strength in this world or something) but I mean you actually find the teacher again so I don't really get it. (I forget if this is explained in the Kalpas or not since it's been so long)

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Aug 10, 2011

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I think the best part of Strange Journey was fighting Jimenez with an all reflect phys team and just watching him use Hell Tack or whatever it was called and gib himself instantly. :whatup:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So, since Overclocked comes out on Tuesday, have any reviewers or people who got copies early commented on just how beefy the extra day is? I heard that it was supposed to be more a continuation based on your ending rather than just "bonus content" but I don't know if that was just fan speculation or not.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

HarveyVdarski posted:

I'm extremely disappointed that this wasn't posted yet.

Anyway, the game doesn't look that 'remastered'. Although I don't know, it's a grainy youtube video, not a crisp 3DS screen.

The voice acting is pretty much on line with the Persona series, so I dunno why everyone is freaking out over it being bad. It's not like Teddie had such good delivery.

So who's picking this up? :)

I think the worry about the VA came from the preview site back when the game was announced because some of the samples were...Not that great. And yeah, I bought a 3DS for this game practically so I can't wait to pick it up today :D

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Just got my copy of Overclocked, the little Hee-ho! voiceclip when you go to start it up is pretty :3:
e: wow Naoya's voice actor really has no idea how to emote at all.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

"Peaceful days died, let's survive" ....Did they change the tagline? I could have sworn it sounded a lot less awkward in the original. Also I thought one of the new features were the "breathing" sprites from Strange Journey, but at least in the tutorial battle they're the old static ones still.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Evil/Chaos wave is the most annoying ability ATLUS came up with. Ugh I had forgotten how goddamn frustrating fighting those Basilisks on day 3 was. Oh what's that, you're trying to fight the boss? welp hope you enjoy us plinking at you from 2 squares away spamming petrify! :argh:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Black Frost posted:

Yes it does, I meant that I don't want to feel like I'm playing a ripoff of it.

The games don't really feel similar at all past the "teenagers stuck in tokyo" deal.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

setafd posted:

The real question for me is why they haven't announced a remake of Nocturne for the PSP or Vita.

A remake of Nocturne including both Dante and Raidou, full voice acting, and maybe an extra ending or two would be just amazing. Get to it Atlus!.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well you gotta remember, they have a lot more work to do than they did with p3 and p4 (since besides some additions, the majority of demon models were just ripped from Nocturne and DDS). They gotta do ALL of that from scratch in HD for P5.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ugh, does anyone have any tips for the last boss in Devil Survivor?
I don't remember having trouble with him back on the original version but I have no idea what I did either. I manage to get phase 1 burned through but it leaves me hurting really badly, and then the second form rears its head and can basically one shot me (even with resist phys). Any noteworthy demons I should fuse or should I just grind the free battle until I vastly overlevel it. My team leaders are all late 40s early 50s, with the exception of the MC whos 56. Drain and holy dance spam with 40mag aint helping me too much :\

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Ayana posted:

If I remember right, the final boss has a dick move. It's actually resistant to Almighty. I just barely squeaked by on my first time in the original using that exact strategy plus a lot of luck and a few more levels (I was at least in the 60's, I think.)

Yeah, he does resist it. I managed to get a sweet dual shadow 8 hit total holy dance on him and he still had over 70% of his life left. :argh:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So, after abusing the suspend save feature for around an hour to force the RNG to bend to my will, I beat the game. But....There's no 8th day. (at least for the Atsuro route) which is a bit disappointing to say the least. I hope it's not only one ending that has it and the rest get shafted because that just screams laziness. :geno:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

Atsuro and Gin's paths don't have an 8th Day, because, you know, they both get rid of all the demons on the 7th Day. The others paths - Yuzu, Amane and Naoya/Kaido are the only ones that lead to Day 8.

Ah yeah that makes sense. I just assumed it would have plot deviced an 8th day instead. Well that makes me less mad. Into new game + I go!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

8th day implementation is really half assed. You have to sit through the original games epilogue for your ending, then the credits, then it asks you to create 8th day data....Where it shoves you back to the usual 5 minute little chat between the party before the credits over again before going on to the actual content. :psyduck:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Well, I'm about to finish the 8th day and I have to say. It's loving awesome. It even seems like theres two different ways it can go, even within the same scenario.

Heres a spoilerific synopsis for those who aren't going to pick it up but are still curiousIn Naoya's path, the angels in a last ditch effort turn all the humans in the lockdown against you promising their freedom. And you have the choice of turning humanity against the angels, or crushing everyone in your path. and based on all the stuff that happened otherwise it seems like if I would have done the "nice guy" route, the whole day would have gone differently. Since this had me just crushing every pocket of resistance, and ended with Yuzu and Midori assaulting the MC and summoning fuckin METATRON to crush me. He even gets his own battle music which is pretty loving good (and I wasn't really a fan of the OST)

TO people on the fence: I'd honestly say it's worth it just based on this alone, but then again I got my copy for free due to a giftcard, so theres no buyers remorse. :v:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Rinkles posted:

This is awesome.

Also yeah I know I won't shut up about Overclocked, but just another FYI to potential buyers, only Naoyas route seems to have two different ways to play the 8th day if the achievement screen is any indication.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Well day 8 sounds awesome..sigh. Oh well. Could someone list me the new demons in Overclocked? Is it a bunch of low level crap or anything interesting?

All the new demons (at least the ones I saw) were all around the 70~ range. I never even saw one (although I did have the option to fuse one or two) outside the 8th day so I think it's just relegated to there. They seem to be made for the game as well. (or at least haven't appeared in the more recent games like Nocturne, DDS, etc) Although I wouldn't say any that I encountered were really interesting or anything. Just heavy magic and phys hitters without any neat tricks really.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

There are new moves too, but they're mostly pretty bland. I'd also bet cash every single one is in Devil Survivor 2.

Oh right I forgot about those. Only one really stood out to me, and that's Multi-strike. And boy does that poo poo loving hurt if you slap it on a high AGI demon.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm almost positive I heard his voice as some of the unnamed three line NPCs (one I recall was a shomenkai member) but I was surprised to not see him in a major role myself.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I'm playing overclocked right now and I'm at a battle that I don't remember being this hard before.

Day 6 at noon, Gin actively tries to get himself killed by running headlong into battle like he's attached via a series of magnets.

I'm going to try this another couple of times, but if I don't pass it soon I'm going to put this game down for a while. His AI is just so stupid.

I've found that battle to be a lot easier if you just bum rush your characters over to him so the enemies end up focusing more than just him.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So my friend just linked me this, apparently some info on the Persona reveal. Dunno how trustworthy neogaf is about this stuff though so v:v:v
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442970

Presona 4 will see a re-release three years after its original launch. This time, it’s coming to PlayStation Vita.

Persona 4: The Golden is an enhanced port for Sony’s new handheld, adding new characters, movie events, animated scenes, and more. It will include 1.5 times the amount of voice-overs seen in the PS2 version. Marie, voiced by Kana Hanazawa, is one of the new characters.

Out in Japan in spring 2012, it will utilize the “communications capabilities” of PlayStation Vita.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah I want an SMT all stars fighter not just Persona :argh:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

In all honesty though I'm curious to just how long they can milk the Persona series. I mean it's obviously still printing money for them but that teat is going to dry eventually.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up like the Umineko fighter where it's a fun little game for fans but absolutely abysmal at being a fighting game. (You know, the important part)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Metatron as a Galactus style arcade mode boss. :allears:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gee that new girls design sure isn't fanservicy at all.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Fooley posted:

I was going through the title list in DS:OC, and when they say "Finish without any deaths" does that mean without anyone in your party getting KO'd, or not saving anyone from their death clock?

The former.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Technique posted:

If they shoehorn Aigis into P4 then i will never, ever forgive Atlus.

With Aigis showing up in the fighting game this is really really likely. Which is really loving lame. :(

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

I'm not exactly keen on the series dipping into previous incarnations for guest spots, but is Aigis generally reviled or something? I mean, she's about as "anime" as the series has allowed itself to get, but I still found her to have a decent story arc and character development.

She has an extremely rabid fanbase. I didn't mind her as a character but after Atlus' idea of fanservice was Robo-finger banging in FES, I get a bit wary when they want to use her for things.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

HarveyVdarski posted:

Just finished P3P as a male. I saw no fingerfucking or pedophilia. what the heck are you talking about?

Pedophilia is in the female route, and I guess you didn't do Aigis' s link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I just want them to ditch the P3/P4 battle system and bring back Press Turn for P5. :argh: