Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Doorselfin posted:

GameSpot has their review of Innocent Sin PSP up, and the results aren't great. Seems like it copped a lot of the criticisms of the first Persona remake:

http://au.gamespot.com/psp/rpg/persona2tsumi/review.html

Another reason to not trust gamespot reviews I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

PlasticPaddy posted:

I'm playing Persona 4 and, surprisingly, I'm enjoying the hell out of it. The only issue I'm having is with the fusion system. It seems so complicated. How necessary is it? Can I ignore it can complete the game? If not, could someone explain it to my stupid rear end?

Just check your fusion options every dungeon or so and just fuse what looks like the strongest persona you can. While you'll definitely have an easier time gaming the system, you can beat the game just fine by just doing that.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

glod posted:

Devil Survivor Overclocked was going smoothly until the Day 3 Beldr fight. The gimmick for damaging it is so tedious and annoying and the demons keep respawning :( I'm on Easy difficulty and struggling with this. Any tips for that battle?

As people have already said, getting a Kishin type is practically mandatory. But I never found it really necessary to get evil/chaos wave as well. I used a Deity type for Awakening since it makes your first strike against him deal quite a bit of damage (plus you get the advantage of extra turns which you lose if you have evil/chaos wave)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Devil Children for the GBA ruled and I refuse to admit that me being a stupid teenager when it released has anything to do with my enjoyment of it. :colbert:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Syrg Sapphire posted:

That's okay: I will totally admit you were(?) a stupid teenager for you, because that game is dire.

Being stuck with one game on a long boring vacation sets your standards pretty low. :v:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Do we know if Atlus is going to release an OST for Overclocked? I mean it seemed it only added a few new songs but I wouldn't mind being able to hear Metatron's stage theme again. :shobon:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Thranguy posted:

So, given that I played and enjoyed Persona 3 (including the Answer) and Persona 4, but when I tried to do Persona 1 on the PSP I hit a frustration/boredom wall somewhere around the third dungeon or so...

Is Persona 2: IS (PSP) a game for me, or not?

It really depends on why you liked Persona 3 and 4. because if it's the whole social life sim element I don't think P2 will be the game for you.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Speaking of Devil Survivor, Dual Shadow is so hilarious broken in combination with Drain and Holy Dance. I mean I took out the 8th day boss for Naoyas route in two battle rounds with dual shadow proc'ing off Holy Dance both times.

For the people who've played the sequel, did they tone down magic at all? I know reading up on some stuff they made Phys viable (which is great) but nothing really on magic.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

jackofarcades posted:

I'm starting Nocturne. I know it's hard. I'm already familiar with most of the battle mechanics from other SMT games. What I wanna know: is there a universally agreed upon "best" type of main character build? Or should I just pick a style and min max it?

You wanna go phys if you're planning on doing the True Demon end, if not you can really just go with whatever.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Armor-Piercing posted:

I noticed people were talking about the FeMC route earlier and how sad it is and all, but is it that different from the MC route in terms of plot? I didn't read the spoilers because I haven't played P3P yet.

Theres some differences but they're pretty minor and none of them really effect the plot as a whole.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Anyone else pick up Persona 2? I got mine with Gears 3 but didn't start it till just this moment.

I like it more than P1 already.

I've been enjoying it a bunch too, but like I said in the P2 thread the constant load times and general delay in battle kind of annoys me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Thuryl posted:

The angels and the government are both trying to hunt you down, along with a bunch of stray demons drawn to you by your power as a Bel. You fight them all off, but have to return to the lockdown area to go into hiding. Eventually God announces that he's abandoning the world because humans hosed up so badly in the ordeal. The final battle of the route is against a levelled-up version of Belberith, who's commanding most of the demons in the lockdown. If you completed a sidequest to restore the barrier over Tokyo that the Four Devas were protecting then it's possible to drive out all the demons, otherwise you get to look forward to a future as a government-appointed anti-demon squad, fighting on the front lines in a war with no end in sight. Even the bad ending of the 8th Day is still better than the "you hosed up, have a drat ending and go play NG+" that the original was.

Did both of those endings have their own achievement? Both of Naoya's 8th day routes did, but I don't think I saw a slot for two Yuzu ones.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Aw poo poo. I got the bad ending :(. I am never getting that other title I guess.

Did you save over that file? Because you can just create 8th day data and re-do it to get the second one. That's what I did for Naoya's.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

RentACop posted:

Overclocked question, can I keep the newgame+ thing rolling over multiple playthroughs?

Yes.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Speedball posted:

Well, they smoothed out the interface a bit for the new version of Innocent Sin, gave it a new text parser, made all the menus new, and (I think) made the sprites a little less pixel-y, but it's not a complete remake like it could have been, nor does the plot seem to progress as naturally as Eternal Punishment did. I guess when they made EP back in the day, they smoothed out most of the wrinkles after they were done with IS.

Still, I am enjoying it so far. The remixed battle themes are actually pretty drat nice to listen to, pulse-pounding, even.

Huh..there seems to be a whole new scenario or two added on, though, called "Theater." I don't know if this was in the original version of Innocent Sin. I may have to eat my words about this being a low-effort re-release.

The Theater is extra content added for the port. Although use it at your own peril, you can essentially break the game by going to the first one the second it becomes available and render the main game trivial from all the levels you get.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Can someone who's beaten the Psp version tell me how "epic" the ending feels in comparison? I know I berated them before, but I think the last couple of cutscenes in the game were pretty good and really helped up the scale. I'm trying to imagine how it would have felt without them.

Honestly after playing both versions I found the PSP ending scene to be a bit less potent, since you just get a few stills from the cutscene instead of the whole deal. It still felt emotional but definitely less so.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Oh well that kinda sucks but its understandable :(. Also, was reading a few pages back regarding Junpei's "special" friend: Is it true you can revive her or was that just a troll?

You can, but she has amnesia or something and she's irrelevant the remainder of the game

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

In general I kind of wish STREGA were in the limelight more. I thought they were all cool but besides Chidori, they didn't really get the screen time they deserved.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 24, 2011

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

What bugged me about Chidori the most probably was her english VA sounded way too old.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Spiffo posted:

Why is pixie so important again? Someone put it in spoilers or something please (planning to play Nocturne, don't want to gently caress it up)

In the last Kalpa of the Amala Labyrinth theres a door that only opens if you send the demon you've had since the beginning (The Pixie obviously) and if you send them in, they turn back into a pixie (if they were fused into something else) but at a really high level with really good skills.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Magikoopa189 posted:

Would you say it is worth it?

Honestly I wouldn't say It's worth doing all the Kalpas for (I usually skip them if I'm not doing that ending) But I never really felt restrained by keeping pixie around so if you're planning on doing the Kalpas anyways there's no reason not to.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

RadicalR posted:

So I have been playing Nocturne. Fun stuff. I've been putting STR on the main guy - am I doing this wrong?

Nah, strength is a pretty good stat in Nocturne. Focus + Lunge does some crazy damage and basically can carry you till the end game where all the REALLY good strength based attacks open up.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Radish posted:

I never really bothered with the Answer. What makes Metis so bad?

You know how sometimes in anime/jrpgs sibling relationships sometimes come off as kind of creepy? Metis was basically that but ramped up.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Technique posted:

She was basically put in the game for all the people who love traps or whatever, and then just to make it even creepier you can tell her to put on a school uniform.

I didn't even like Naoto but your first point is pretty off. She was pretty much a textbook example of a play on the extremely popular "boy genius detective" trope that Japan is absolutely bonkers about (same thing with Kanji and the hardened badass delinquent trope) Her dressing like a guy wasn't really ever presented as "sexy" or sexual.

The second point I won't touch though because I thought that was pretty off too.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Technique posted:

Is there even any new SMT poo poo on the horizon that ISN'T related to Persona 4? :sigh:

Devil Survivor 2's localization! :v:

v :tipshat:

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 30, 2011

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

e: whoops :downs:

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 28, 2011

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Alteisen posted:

What the gently caress is with this mission in Overclocked, I'm supposed to stop these SDF tamers from escaping but they're getting like 2 or 3 turns to my one, I just failed for the 2nd time despite having the last one at almost no health, this is retarded.

That was probably the worst mission in the entire game, however I found just stacking evil/chaos wave demons allowed me to snipe them pretty easily. Constrict could probably help too.

e: Also try to build your demons around just bashing the head in of the tamer rather than focusing on the damage sponge demons they have.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 17, 2012

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

Whoa, hold on buddy. You just spent sixty+ hours doing this fun-times murder mystery thing but wait up boss we've got this optional two hour segment tacked on to the end that has nothing to do with what came before and is so half-assed that it only seems to have been included out of obligation so just forget everything that the entire rest of the game was about because here's the the real poo poo right here. You saw that ridiculous text dump in the middle of the game, obviously this is what it was about all along!

btw pretty sure Persona games aren't SMT games.

None of the non mainline games are sold as SMT games in japan but considering they all use the same demons/composer/artists/etc they pretty much are in all honesty.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm loving all the smug condescending "heh POKEMON" comments considering that the SMT series is older than the Pokemon series by years.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

jonjonaug posted:

I finished the 8th day of the Naoya route in Overclocked.

That ending CG. Black Frost is the best.:allears:

I also beat Metatron in a single turn. The guy kept using Mazandyne too, which my MC and both demons in his party were immune to.

Which ending did you get? Naoya's has two.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So, this youtube channel has been floating around recently. I mean theres basically a 100% chance its just some fan hoax but if this was some big viral marketing thing, that'd be pretty awesome. Loving the theme they went with.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ATLUSxP5

e: Yeah listened to a few more songs, it's obviously a fake but goddamn if I didn't get my hopes up for a split second. :(

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 30, 2012

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

uncleKitchener posted:

So, is Persona 5 going to be Persona 4 without the high school and television? Because I would like that.

I doubt they'll try something new at this point with the Persona series, considering how well P3 and P4 did.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Apparently a bunch of stores are selling Devil Survivor 2 early, so for those who have been waiting for it like I have, doesn't hurt to check. Of course none near me are. :(

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm kind of annoyed they went with the static sprites over the "breathing" ones from Strange Journey. :\

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah it's pretty weird that DS1, Overclocked AND DS2 never got any form of bonus.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The MC's cell phone is really weird looking. Do people really have phones that look like this? :psyduck:

Seems kinda unwieldy

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Maybe I'm just playing wrong but DS 2 seems to have stepped the difficulty up without being overly cheap (which is a good thing)

Just beat the second boss right before One of its little bomb things got to the end of the map, it decided to attack my last standing guy and a full crit multi-hit from one of my demons finished him off before he could ice dance me to death :hellyeah: I'm just hoping they don't throw any bullshit missions at me down the line, like the infamous one in DS1 where you have to stop those rogue SDF guys from escaping, that was a royal pain.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

e: I'm smart. :downs:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Does anyone have any tips for the fourth day boss in DS2? Any demon combos would be appreciated. Getting to the boss is just a pain since those stupid birds move so goddamn fast and just murder my demons with mazan or berserk.

e: I know it was practically the same thing in DS1 (IIRC at least) but I wish Free Battles actually gave decent xp and weren't just basically there for money + skill farming. :\

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Thanks for the tips to beat the day 4 boss, just having a demon with flight basically removed all the hard parts. :toot:

Another quick question, When does Holy Dance start appearing? I'm on day 6 now and I've yet to see it at all. I got drain but that can only carry you so far.