Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Radish posted:

Personally I think that Catherine was more of a tech demo (with a ton of secret achievements and endings designed to extend its shelf life) for any upcoming games on an actual current console than anything else. The in game cut scenes looked really nice and I could see a Persona game using a similar style pretty easily.

I dunno, I thoroughly enjoyed Catherine, and it's (probably) less a tech demo and more a statement that they needed to make something other than an RPG.

I am super pumped about DS2, especially since it's coming for the regular DS (atlus never change)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Suaimhneas posted:

One problem with a P4P: severe lack of dateable guys. Once you eliminate the ones with existing romantic entanglements and/or incompatible preferences, that leaves, what? Kou (boring) or Teddie (:gonk:)

Maybe they could give Funky Student a social link.

gently caress you I want to date Kanji :colbert: Of course I wanted to date Kanji in the original P4 anyway, but alas it wasn't to be :(

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I didn't think sector E was that annoying, you guys are all babies :colbert:

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Suaimhneas posted:

No reason it couldn't have been on DS?

It already was, though :)

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Nathander posted:

Adding a female protagonist to P4 just seems even more extraneous than it would in P3, is what I guess I'm saying, since nothing in the story would have ever called for it.

I mean, his family isn't mentioned at all besides one crack from Dojima at the end and an earlier comment by Chie, and none of it mentions siblings; it could be that they decided to take one kid with them and one kid was sent to live with Dojima.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

The Grimace posted:

The best method is how Bioware does their protagonists, where you choose from a list of answers (not unlike Persona games) but then the character has its own voice and replies based on how you yourself answered. There's no reason why Atlus can't do this for P5, but there's no reason to say they will. :(

the best way to do it is actually like DX:HR, which will do that but also give you a fairly detailed description of what your main character will say, instead of just like 3-4 words.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

dumb brunette posted:

There's speculation floating around that Mari/Marie/Mary might be the female protagonist, and she's named because the male protag has a name in the upcoming anime adaptation.

I don't know, man, I'm holding out hope. I really want a female route in this.

If I can't date Kanji then I won't buy this END OF.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Policenaut posted:

New details about Persona Fighter

It's going to have a BlazBlue style story mode!

for the non fighting game players, what exactly does that entail? Sorry if I'm being dumb but I haven't played a fighting game since like MK: Deception.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Where's the confirmation of no female MC? probably won't be buying it if that's the case :(

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Ugh, if they don't include a female MC I don't really see how much new stuff they can add without it being basically the same thing.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

redreader posted:

Fan requested feature: to not seem like a loving pervert when I'm playing an otherwise-pretty-cool japanese game :(

that's why they are putting it on the vita so you can hide it

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Yeah, sorry, the Aigis scene was loving creepy, and the creepiest thing in P4, social link wise, was probably Devil.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
the trailer for the fighting game is out on youtube and it looks CRAZY. Also Kanji and Yukiko confirmed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuVCDMKY_oA&feature=player_embedded

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Momomo posted:

I really don't like the way everything seems to be amber tinted, but other than that it looks nice. Do we know what name the main character is going to be known as?

Yu Narukami.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Irony.or.Death posted:

Kanji and Yukiko. Not new revelations, just the first time we've seen video of them (as far as I know).

They've been around since the start of TGS actually

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
But he's like 6 feet right? I remember that picture at the end of P4 he just towers over everyone else

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Morpheus posted:

I'd do Nocturne first, DDS1, Devil Survivor, DDS2, then Strange Journey.

Nocturne first because the later games built upon it and some elements of it could feel a little dated.

DDS is split up to prevent burn-outs on the formula.

gently caress that at least start DDS2 after DDS; I wanted to start DDS2 immediately after, but I was using gamefly so I couldn't.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

MechaX posted:

Acknowledging that a character is well-written and actually liking said character's personality are two different things.

exactly. I recognize that Yosuke is a well written character with depth and flaws and all that, but that doesn't make me hate him any less.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Schlegel Mach posted:

He made fun of Kanji a few times and got over it as the game went on. IIRC the tent scenario was the last time it was ever mentioned.

Though I never did the bro Christmas, which seems like a point where that would spring up again.

There was also the part with the topsicles! I kept Yosuke in my party because team BRO is the best party, but after I grinded a while at the end my final party was Kanji, Chie and Teddie, because they're the best characters.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
SMT3 is the best SMT game, probably, but DDS2 is the craziest one, which I thoroughly enjoyed (also the best soundtrack)

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Guess who just found a Devil Summoner 2 limited edition box with Raiho at gamestop :smug: It was only 20 bucks as well, because the box that it came in was opened but the game was not.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
They should just ask Swery what's up with America, so he can show them all the pictures of food that he took.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

Regarding P4 end talk, I said as much in its thread, but if y'all want to see a really lovely ending sequence, play Catherine. It certainly is an experience!

at least they set up SOMETHING to make you wonder about the end boss because who wears sunglasses inside? gods, that's who! apparently.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

vkeios posted:

Man, now I'm feeling weird for thinking Nocturne is a much better game. From what I remember, DDS is a frustrating piece of poo poo that feels like I'm constantly getting screwed over by the RNG.

For anyone new to the mainline megatons, I'd suggest Strange Journey or Nocturne. Both are fantastic, but I'd probably lean towards SJ. Just because it has grids and its on the DS (I adore rpgs on my portables).

DDS is a lot easier regardless though, I never died as much in DDS as I did in Nocturne. Though I agree that Nocturne is a superior game, I liked DDS's story better because of how loving bananas it is.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
the changes in P3P just added social links, it didn't actually change the story in any appreciable manner. (at least I don't think so)

Also what was wrong with the fox :colbert:

Cityinthesea fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 22, 2012

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I know you said it's a lot like Evangelion, but I've never seen it so... is it bad? I'm going to get it anyways since I pretty much buy everything atlus comes out with, but it'd be sort of a bummer if say FF13-2 had a better story than it or something.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

13-2 has a surprisingly good story, but Atlus always writes better dialogue than Square anyway.

Yeah, I liked the story in 13-2 too, it'd just feel really odd to me that FF would have a better story than DS2, but if the biggest thing is tone issues than I can handle that. 13-2 has some weird tonal issues as well, especially the contrasts of some of the side quest content and the main quest.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
so the guy doesn't do that? I was kinda tired when I picked it so I didn't realize what I was picking.

and then I played the game for like 8 hours, just beat the third serpientron thing, and I just can't stopppppppp.

also the bonus auction thing is loving rigged! I keep getting outbid by 100 or 200

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
How many endings are there supposed to be in DS2? I'm at the end of the 6th day, where Makoto and Ronaldo are fighting, and so far no one besides Ronaldo and Yamato have floated any ideas about what to do with Polaris

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

MotU posted:

Does anyone have any tips for Day 7 Yamato Path in the fight against Benedsnatch? I under stand the gimmicks and the like but gently caress, it seems like it would require a very specific set of demons to tackle and I really don't have the drive to go looking through everything hoping to find a useful combination. I know I need a Null Ice/Fire for the first form and I think a Null Force/Phys for the second one and that the demons with those resistances cannot be using physical attacks and need to be magic based.

I was really liking the game up until this fight but there is just so much poo poo going on it it just throws it at you and it just seems to punish you for not having a specific setup in advance.

I'm on Ronaldo's Path and is it the same thing where you have to guard trumpeter and he splits off into 4? I just kept two people down on the bottom until benedsnatch would send the 4 things down. Once those were done I just sent everyone up and used MC to get him down enough where he would split, and then I found it pretty easy to kill all of them. Also, I just kept anti-most and reflect physical on the main character and give him the auto revive skill, which is useful for those situations specifically.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Tallgeese posted:

It honestly blows my mind how bad the portraits are in Devil Survivor 2. When one character raises her hands in alarm, they literally look like sheets of paper, they have no definition to aid in depth perception. Yet, her breasts defy gravity.

They really have to be seen in the game to be believed.

The men actually aren't so bad though, at least.

honestly, wait until you run into Aiji or whoever, she literally has an animation where she rests her hands on her boobs and she is 15 years old...

I love the game otherwise, but the female character portraits are so terrible.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

DrManiac posted:

Ugg, gently caress the Yamoto fight. It's wouldn't be nearly as hard if he didn't get like 3 turns for my every one or at least not have 4 range.

Thought it is kinda funny his skill set is pretty much the same as my MC.

What I did in that fight is just let the enemies come to you, as once you kill 4 of the monsters he charges up and usually gets to your area, and I just bumrushed him with the MC and Joe (You might also want to fuse the Arioch demon he has for the same range), but yeah that fight seriously sucks balls; harder than the final boss for me, at least.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Honestly I don't see a better ending than the Ronaldo ending, because since Polaris can make out humanity however he wants, and he makes it out so that everyone helps everyone else, that sounds like utopia to me after all... That may just be my personal opinion though.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

UselessLurker posted:

I was hoping, at least, that one would be a serious business type where you could basically just go 'sheesh, we need a girl to act sexy because demons are loving weird or something, could you do me a solid here' but nooooooooooope.

oh are you loving making GBS threads me the 'right' answer is that. :pedo:

the actual scene was a lot better than the lead up led me to believe but yeah... gross as hell. Why not just use Hinako for both? she's barely wearing anything!

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It's a utopia as long as you're okay with the fact that nobody will ever be able to advance through their own merit, no matter how hard they try. Some may find that a utopia but to others it would be a hell. It's basically equivalent to a Law ending. Everything is better, as long as you don't mind being under total control and having no freedom.

Well yeah if it was just them being able to create a complete egalitarian utopia in the real world, but they changed the dispositions of human nature itself with Polaris so everyone would be super happy whether they would actually dislike it or not; and yeah it's probably the law ending but it's probably the most positive spin on a law ending, especially following Strange Journey which was the worst (admittedly I never got the law ending [azume?] from DS1 so I dunno how well that one went)

I suspect that Yamato's ending would make it so that everyone is super psyched to live in a meritocracy too I suppose but in that one you would have people who wouldn't be able to compete.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
For some reason it's still more palatable than Strange Journey's interpretation of the law ending, dunno why... maybe it was because everyone in Strange Journey was an rear end in a top hat.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I went with for Ronaldo, as I hated Yamato, felt Daichi had no real ideas beyond "don't fight" and I felt that Ronaldo was ultimately a rather stand up guy. I also didn't get the anguished one's ending, because I barely talked to him.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
My favorite SMT spin off is either DDS2 or Persona 4, but I might just like DDS2 for the best soundtrack of the series... and that crazy ending, and I even liked the ending dungeon, as annoying as it was.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

It's complicated, but once you get through both games you just go, "Ah ha!" and you realize why it's the best Persona game, when put together.

Hell, even alone, I guess. Eternal Punishment is fantastic on its own.

they're annoying to play though. I finished the first... temple or whatever in innocent sin, but I haven't gone back because the gameplay's just so slow and boring; it's a shame, I really liked all of the story, but ughhhhhhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Hahaha, I saved him on my first run but after getting him to fate 5, there is no way he's dying ever, he's to awesome and sweet.

I didn't do his stuff on my first playthrough, because... I was already using Io for strength stuff, but drat if his Fate stuff isn't the best.

I cried when he ran away from Jungocat :(