Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Re: Devil Survivor; on the original version if you were to start a fresh new game, rather than NG+, would it erase all progress you've made with like complete endings for the title screen and such? I could do an NG+ sure, but (aside from, y'know, Lucifer) it's just way too easy and just feels more like I'm going through the motions again, moreso than anything else. At least when playing from scratch again there's a possible chance I could gently caress up and die at some point. Even if it's only on Day 6 or 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I played through P3 a good half a dozen times easily and I don't remember the having a twin sister who died thing at all. I even just checked a script of it on GameFAQs and there's no mention of it there either. It's almost definitely just fans being fans.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

It's just got to be a Dojima and Adachi buddy cop movie :colbert:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Technique posted:

remake SMT1

At this point it's pretty obvious that after P4P the next thing Atlus is gonna do is remake Eternal Punishment. I just hope they don't do that and actually make either P5, Raidou 3 or SMT5 instead of remaking poo poo again and again and again.

But if they must remake something, Soul Hackers is a drat good candidate. I'd be more interested in that than pretty much anything else they could remake at this point.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

This is what I do but a lot of people have trouble with the game even when doing this. That is where grinding comes in, because if they are still having trouble even after doing that, the solution for them is to punch and/or talk to random encounters until they can get past it.

Maybe this is just me being crazy here, but how does this not apply to Persona 3 or 4 exactly? The obvious lack of negotiation aside, I don't think someone who's having trouble playing normally managing to beat, say, Shadow Yukiko (P4 early game boss) without having to grind. I wouldn't exactly say 3 is grind-free either what with having an entire extra dungeon devoted solely to making grinding easier.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I wouldn't say it doesn't, but in general there are mechanics in place to reduce the amount you have to do. Social Links in particular grant so many levels that leaving the dungeon for a few days and returning after you've gained a few social link levels is probably a lot more effective then simply grinding out the levels.

So... stopping to grind a social link in this scenario isn't grinding even though it's exactly what your definition said it is? Man, this argument is dumb. Why are you even arguing even though what you laid out is grinding in a slightly different way?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Technique posted:

This?

That's not the default armour; that's what he gets following the Kongokai. This is what he's wearing at first. I imagine, however, that Pollyanna was referring to this instead.

E; My biggest issue with EO is that, in the first one at least, if you don't use specific classes and give them specific skills some fights are just flat out impossible. I don't remember anything like that occurring until the post-game content which made it an even bigger "gently caress you."

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 7, 2011

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Dolphin Fetus posted:

It's really not THAT bad, my best friend is a catholic and thought it was hilarious.

Last boss of the game is YHVH and he's a yellow disembodied head that is more or less the Wizard of Oz

I always thought it was that and the Garden of Eden being a dungeon that pushed it over the top.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

After a bit of searching, it looks like you can get it on Play-Asia (with a Japanese version of Persona 4). It only comes in XL though, which kinda sucks.

vv Oh poo poo, sorry about that. :smith:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 10, 2011

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

CharismaticHorsey posted:

he first appeared when Souji entered the T.V. world

Interesting idea, but it can't possibly be the case since this one key thing is just untrue. He was blatantly around when Saki was thrown in, and he states that he was around before even that.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

^ Nocturne. Always Nocturne.

Alteisen posted:

Someone posted this ranking list from Japan from the Persona games.

Tatsuya being the only one not from P3 or 4 is bad enough on its own... but, Chidori why are you on this list? You were in like 4 scenes and were a terrible boss fight that lasted like 3 minutes. If you weren't a bitch to Junpei a whole bunch, and the sole cause of him becoming halfway decent in combat, I'd have probably forgotten you existed.

And yet here she is. Instead of Katsuya, or Baofu, or Maya, or Naoya, or Kei or Ulala or Philemon or Nyarlathotep

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

P4 already had a pretty jam packed calendar.

It also had a month to spare, so there's plenty of time for them to stick new content in.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

How many endings are there anyways?

There's 6 in total. Al's Neutral, Yamato's Chaos, Ronaldo's Law, and Daichi has the remaining 3; two are Neutral and one's the "true" ending.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Dogbutt posted:

I'm at the first demon fight and I'm really scared where I should distribute my stats. I don't want to get Beldr'd again...

There's nothing along the lines of punching Beldr to death, so you don't need to worry about that. Fights are harder in general though, in my opinion at least, but you can mitigate that a fair bit come Tuesday. It's possible to pick up a fair few late game skills from one boss then if you use Skill Crack correctly.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Momomo posted:

This is definitely doable your first time, because I did it. The leader ran away, but I was still able to kill everything else. Just go on the southeastern path and take each demon on one-by-one. Near the end you might be getting attacked by two, but it shouldn't be that bad.

Yeah I did that as well, but it doesn't "count" unless you actually beat Ghost Q. If you do that, you can fuse him afterwards; making him rout doesn't give you that possibility.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Daichi seems more suited to multi hit.

Daichi's pretty good at multi-hitting but if that's what you're using him for, I'd swap him out for Hinako. As I found out come Day 7 of my first playthrough, she is easily the best multi-hitter (the fact that she gets natural 40 for both Strength and Agility doesn't hurt but it takes a while).

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Doesn't Assassinate go through Reflect? Based on the description it should and I read that it will, but I'm not going to go out and test that anytime soon.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Actually, that brings up a good question. Through pure numbers, who is the game's best Multi-Hitter?

Hinako; she's the only one (aside from maybe the MC depending on how you build him) that gets both 40 in Strength and Agility.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

UselessLurker posted:

The trick to the Yamato battle, like every lategame battle, is Evil Wave. You don't even have to leave the platform you start on - just have your two heaviest hitting humans roll with Dragon demons and go to town.

Why are you using Evil Wave at that stage? Use Chaos Wave instead. If you have Evil Wave, Yamato can still eat you alive without repercussion since he has an Arioch with him which lets him attack from 4 spaces away.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

My biggest complaint is basically long stretches of time where my characters just stood there helpless while the same enemy unit sometimes got two or even three turns to initiate on me.

Yeah, I've had fights become literally unwinnable because of that since it's possible for you to never, ever get a turn; your turns always get pushed back whenever you get attacked. Even if you can't retaliate. It's really a stupid mechanic, and one of the few things I think DS2 just did flatout worse than the first one.

The same thing applies to the AI, sure, but they usually outnumber you in such a way that it's irrelevant.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

P3 has multiple physical "elements" as well (Slash, Bash and Pierce compared to just Physical in P4), along with fusion spells if you have 2 specific personae with you but I don't think there's anything else different.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Speaking of weird spell stuff, I can't remember offhand if any game other than the DDS duo use the Tera stuff. Am I just missing/forgetting something, or is that actually the case? Seems a bit weird to have two games with 5 elements rather than 4 is all.

Dr Pepper posted:

Not having to reload for half an hour to get the right skills on something will be a godsend.

If it does work like Devil Survivor then you'll still be re-rolling a fair bit, just for the inheritance stat boosts rather than skills! :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm sorry but the Press Turn isn't any more deep then HIT THE WEAKNESS either.

I think the difference between the regular Press Turn system and P3/4s is that, in the regular one at least, even if you do hit a weakness you don't get infinite turns out of it, so turn management becomes an important thing to factor in as well. In P3/4, you can go entire fights just having the MC spam the same spell ad infinitum and no one else will ever get a turn.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Spiffo posted:

Nobody knows who the current victim is until after they're inside the TV. Not even the real killer.

Except, they do. It's even explained that they appear on the Midnight Channel because it's a reflection of collective unconscious of all of Inaba. Both the Scooby Gang AND Namatame mistake it for the killer's intent initially.

E; Heck, this even addresses your next point. Namatame kidnaps and throws Nanako into Mayonaka because she appeared on the midnight channel prior. That happened because of the mini-interview she was given.

E2; oh, that's not even needed to point out the issue with this though. Everything from Yukiko onwards; just look at the antics with Kanji and Rise. After they appear on the Midnight Channel but before they're thrown into Mayonaka.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 23, 2012

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Spiffo posted:

Am I coming up on the end? If so, this game was not only boring, but also pretty short.

Well, you're forgetting the fact that DDS1 is only half a game in the first place but there's also a ton of optional stuff you can do as well if you really want more after going through the entirety of the final dungeon once (and in a few cases, twice).

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

It's different to before, therefore it is the worst thing ever. See also: Chie's VA.

Policenaut posted:

Reach Out To The Truth still plays in P4G as I understand it, but only if you score a surprise attack on an enemy.

Though, on the other hand, if this is the case then it's almost like it was never changed at all. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Honestly, I really like Persona 3 and 4 though, so I'm one of the sheep who would buy Persona 5 day 1 and call it game of the year if it were nothing but refinements on the established formula. I'm sorry everyone.

I kinda disagree, to be honest. I loved Persona 3 and 4 but I'd rather there be a different system when 5 comes out. As good as some stuff could be with the S.Link system, I'd really prefer something else. If they really have to keep it for whatever reason, then I'd rather have it closer to something like the Devil Survivor 2 FATE system.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I want to be happy about this. I really do. But, Europe's still waiting for DS1:Overclocked (sometime in 2013 at the earliest now...) never mind Soul Hackers too.

Why did you have to include region locking now, Nintendo :negative:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I think you can get away without getting a single with level AO (for... reasons), but, yeah, everyone else requires fate level 4 or higher.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

The final boss is going to be the physical manifestation of the RNG itself. :colbert:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Tae posted:

What was that guy's name, Keita from Devil survivor 2? He's pretty bad, so was Ronaldo.

I liked Ronaldo. :(

Keita was irredeemably awful, though. Especially when the only way to really learn what his whole deal is, is to let a much better character die. Really, Keita and Fumi are the only DS2 characters I didn't like that much. Not from a mechanical perspective (because Fumi's really, really good as a battle unit), but as actual characters I couldn't stand either of them. At least once you're done with his stuff early on, you never really have to put up with Keita again if you don't want to.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Pretty sure Matator has Dekunda.

He does, but he doesn't have Dekaja so if you can buff yourself instead then there's nothing he can do about it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Alteisen posted:

And of course Feinne has a picture like that, he's played the game and has a lot of experience with it, again not something you'll know your first time.

Except, he did do that the first time through. :shepface:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I think it'd be weirder if we couldn't talk to demons.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Cleretic posted:

They have the PS3 version, but through some bizarre quirk of developmental structure or process, they haven't been given the 360 version.

So, they can't release the PS3 version because...? I'm probably not even going to bother with it at this point, because this is just really loving stupid of everyone involved, but I'm not seeing any reason for why they're just sitting on it either.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Saigyouji posted:

It seems doubtful that the 3DS is going to be dead in 2 years time, unless Nintendo takes a drastically different approach to handhelds than they have for the past 9 years.

The problem there, is that while it might be in America in 2 years it's probably gonna be another 2 on top of that before Europe even gets considered (see also: Overclocked, which is finally coming out here 4 years after it was released).

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Argh, no. Why'd they have to go with Female Tico? :negative:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

It looks like they're using the same adaptation as the manga. Which means male Tico will show up on Monday and the show will presumably alternate between the two.

Oh, that's fine then. Tico might've only appeared like three times in the episode, but she was still kinda annoying. Not having to put up with her all the time's good enough, since she's turned up once already and all.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Saigyouji posted:

One thing that I'm finding weird about the anime is that they've already revealed Alcor's name (game spoilers). It's like they're not even trying to keep that under wraps.

Yeah, that's the one thing I've found explicitly odd so far.

That and the pacing, I guess; it is just 13 episodes, right? Since they just finished Monday after 3 episodes of that one day I find it unlikely they'll be able to wrap the whole thing up in the remaining 9. If it was the full 26 there'd be no problem, but it just strikes me as odd as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

Or difficulty? Because Polaris's final form is a loving rear end in a top hat (drat multi-strike arm :argh:)

Probably the difficulty; the entire build-up to it had some difficult moments Lugh-form Io and everything related to Yamato especially but the first time through I finished that fight before I got attacked. :shepface: