Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Artix74 posted:

You know how after you level up you sometimes get poo poo like fully healed or whatever? Increases the chance of getting those.
Which means it is mostly only good for reserve characters who also have the ability that lets them gain experience while not being active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I went with a magic focus in DDS because I only bothered with fatal hunt skills where doing damage isn't really necessary. With the Press Turn system you usually want to be targeting weaknesses anyway, and that's almost never going to be physical. I'm not all that conservative with MP use though, so that may not be great for everyone.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I started playing Strange Journey last week, and despite being perfectly okay with using walkthroughs from the moment I turn on a game, I decided to see how long I could hold out before checking GameFAQs. Somehow I actually made it through the second region completely on my own though, despite damage tiles, pit traps, and having to search for elevator switches. We'll see how much longer I can handle it.

Although having automap is nice, it is frustrating having to step on every tile and go through every doorway just to have a complete map. It would have been nice if it automapped basic/obvious features (floor, damage tile, wall) of surrounding squares, or if I had the option to draw those in myself like in Etrian Odyssey.

Although the alignment system is interesting and lends itself really well to multiple playthroughs, I feel that in conjunction with the new co-op system it is a bit on the restrictive side. Not only is it harder to recruit a demon of a different alignment, but using that demon in combat puts you at a disadvantage relative to using only demons of your own alignment, so you're stuck between giving up a good (and free) source of damage and restricting yourself to 1/3 of the demons in the game. Outside of fusion and I guess easier analysis, there isn't much incentive to bother with the rest.

On the other hand, it is forcing me to use some demons that I would probably otherwise ignore, and means I can't as easily just load up on demons that can hammer enemy weaknesses and give me multiple co-op attacks per turn on a regular basis.

Overall though, I'm really enjoying it so far despite the dungeon features that typically bother me. Is there a "true" ending for the game? Right now I'm still on the neutral path. If I play through the game a second time at all, it probably won't be in the near future, so I'd rather just go for the best ending to begin with if I can.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

nachos posted:

Re-read this and laugh a hearty laugh after you get to Sector E
If I haven't already by then, I will probably pull out a map when I get there. I'm really just surprised that I didn't immediately go "gently caress this" and pull up GameFAQs once I hit the second floor of the place.

It did help that there was a clue at the beginning of the floor to tell me which way to go though. It isn't just randomly guessing which way to go like, say, some DDS dungeons, which I didn't even bother trying to do on my own because I wanted to actually beat the game.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I just finished off the Sector C boss and good lord was that ever an intense fight. At least, the third time, when I wasn't just slaughtered. Between the time you first encounter the boss and when you actually fight him, I did absolutely nothing to power up. All the new areas that opened up, I just talked my way through most random encounters and ran from the couple demons I didn't have.

My MC spent the whole battle defending, especially after being stunned since at that point he's in one-shot territory. The only time he stopped was to replace demons. I was co-op attacking that jerk at least twice a turn, and often three times. My first three demons ran out of mana, and I ended up replacing the whole team with some demons I hadn't even used yet. The whole team was almost killed a couple times from his AoE attack. I finally finished him off but one of his minions was still alive and my MC had next to no health and was still stunned, so I ended up using a Bead to make sure he didn't get finished off.

One of the demons I ended the battle with gained five levels.

Edit: Does sub app capacity ever increase?

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 14, 2011

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I would just try negotiating with some different demons and trying different fusions with them. I have no idea how you ended up with a full team of gun-weak demons of one alignment though - I didn't even know there were that many at one level range.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Suaimhneas posted:

So what I'm getting from this is that a company that doesn't publish their games outside japan and north america decided to put this game on the only handheld that's region locked, and it doesn't even use that handheld's unique features? No reason it couldn't have been on DS?

Marvellous work, Atlus. Brilliant. :bravo:
It is almost like this exact same thing happened with GBA/DS games when the DS launched, except Atlus actually added something to the 3DS version, even if it isn't using 3D. It's an easy way to get an early title onto a new platform, and while the library is this small, even more people are likely to buy it just so they actually have a 3DS game or two

Also it isn't exactly Atlus' fault they don't publish outside of Japan and North America, since they don't exist outside those territories.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Role Play McMurphy posted:

I wish they'd just hurry up and put this series on the PS3 because I don't do any portable gaming and I'm not gonna play anything without trophies.
Pretty sure Vita games are going to have trophies, so just give in and get it like all the cool kids. :smug:

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

About TGS: I don't see Atlus or Index Holdings on the website for it. They are going to be there, right? It'd be really nice to get some news of any new games they've got going on, and now I'm worried.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up like the Umineko fighter where it's a fun little game for fans but absolutely abysmal at being a fighting game. (You know, the important part)
Except this game is being developed by a company and specific team that has already made a well-received fighting game series. The developer of the Umineko fighting game has made visual novels.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

TurnipFritter posted:

Also, y'all, the screen shot in the top righthand corner is the character select screen from the fighting game, it seems.
I see about 11 character slots. Hoping that means DLC for more, but more importantly, that means we aren't even getting all the main characters to start, right?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Wait, why is that a fanservicey outfit? It looks pretty normal to me, apart from the skirt being on the short side.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Mio Bison posted:

I spent years playing arcade GG and anyone will tell you that it's one of the best 2D fighters, unfortunately it was designed by the people who worked at ASW 10+ years ago whereas BB's made by the guys working for them now and if you think BB has been "well-received" you and I understand that term very differently
I was thinking mostly of Guilty Gear when I wrote that, and I didn't realize that most of the GG team members were gone at this point. That does explain why I don't particularly care for BlazBlue though. Still, regardless of its popularity (or lack thereof) in the fighting game community relative to other series, the games do get favorable reviews, and they keep getting made, so "well-received" is an apt enough description.

Edit: P.S. Thanks for destroying any optimism I had for the supposed eventual return of Guilty Gear. It's going to end up being terrible, isn't it. :(

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Aug 31, 2011

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

TurnipFritter posted:

What's going on in the bottom-right screen on this one? Looks like locked selections of some sort.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

fount of knowledge posted:

I guess my sheer laziness and never getting around to play more than ten hours of Persona 4 finally comes in handy, since I get to play the definitive version and enjoy it as if it's a whole new game.

Edit: :smugdog:

Edit edit: It's the least I can have after Overclocked. :suicide:

:smugdog::hf::smugdog:

I only got through about ten hours as well, before I got bogged down with other games. Pretty pumped to get this for Vita.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

First guess: Crossover content with Monster Hunter

Second guess: Love Plus Persona

Third guess: Export Persona 4 soundtrack to Hastune Miku: Project Diva

Edit: VVVVV It's my favorite guess too.

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 31, 2011

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Someone called Marie's outfit fanservicey, so I'm pretty sure the definition of fanservice gets pretty general depending on the person.

Also, the Aigis scene is not "robot fingerbanging," it is "intertextual reference." Clearly the author wanted to remind the player of a similar scene in Chobits and :anime:

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Justice posted:

Devil Survivor's sales here exceeded expectation, and it was a hell of a lot less work than localizing all of the additions the Persona 4 remake will have, on a new system Atlus USA hasn't worked on before. Devil Survivor is a sure thing as far as sales precedent is concerned, while Persona 4 sold like 2/3 of its expected units.
At the same time though, localizing the additions to P4 would be less work than localizing an entire new game, so it's a good opportunity to become more familiar with the system, right?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Blhue posted:

Welp, now that there's a fighter spinoff, how long until the Super Robot Wars-esque srpg featuring characters from various SMT games?
Super Dimension Fortress Mara to be added to the next SRW title.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Maybe you should send Ghostlight a stern email demanding an oppai mousepad in their next special edition.

I feel you though. I largely only really want artbooks. I think Dark Souls is the only special edition I've ordered for a while.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I noticed people were talking about the FeMC route earlier and how sad it is and all, but is it that different from the MC route in terms of plot? I didn't read the spoilers because I haven't played P3P yet.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Sony pre-TGS press conference just ended, and in the list of games/franchises expected to be on Vita within a year of launching, one of the entries was Shin Megami Tensei. Speculation time!

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Agnostic watermelon posted:

Isn't that going to be the P4 remake?
I don't think so, but I'm positive. It said Shin Megami Tensei series, and in Japan the Persona games don't have that title. I don't know whether or not the spinoffs are ever referred to as "Shin Megami Tensei series games" in the same way they're all called MegaTen games though, which could be what happened here.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Neeksy posted:

I have strong feelings about [video game girlfriend]!
Love Plus needs to start branching out and licensing so I can take all my favorite video game girlfriends on dates. I want to take Aigis to the zoo~

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I wasn't sitting there in awe of how innovative and exciting P1 combat is, but at the same time I was never dreading another random encounter. It was pretty firmly in my "I have no problems with this" category.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I would like a Persona spinoff based on the Persona game that the characters play in Persona.

Alternatively, was the SMT card game any good? Handhelds need some better card games, and a Pokemon CCG/SvC Card Fighters type deal would be pretty neat.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Policenaut posted:

Still really hoping it's Growlanser/Growlanser 4: Over Reloaded.
I'd definitely prefer that as well, especially since I haven't actually managed to get through one of Sting's games yet. Not counting on it though - it's probably going to stay on my wishlist right next to the Langrisser games.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I can't imagine Atlus not announcing both games at this point. Otherwise the actual announcement is going to be a giant "gently caress you" to everyone who wanted Growlanser whichever game doesn't get localized.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I really need to stop reading the Atlus forums. It's like GameFAQs with image support at this point.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Gyoru posted:

Canada's VideoGamesPlus just put an interesting product page up.

http://www.videogamesplus.ca/product_info.php?products_id=19759&osCsid=b80870d011574054414eabc0004a3adf
Beautiful. :canada:

Still have a ton of mileage to get out of my PSP at this rate.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

So Atlus just sent out an email with this:

The subject is all underscores, just like the filename for the image on the Atlus site. Part of me just assumes this is a mistake, but after the Growlanser/Gungnir thing I think they might just be a bunch of jerks.

Edit: According to maketakunai in the RPG thread, it is the latter.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I have the PS2 version of Persona 4 but I wanted to wait for the Vita port to play through that instead. I don't want this game (or the anime) to spoil it for me. :(

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Policenaut posted:

It's confirmation that Atlus will release the game in Japan on May 17th. Atlus USA hasn't said anything yet, probably because they need to find a way to make people the most mad while they're announcing it.
March 1st: We're not going to bring this to NA.
April 1st: Whoops! Guess we were a month early with the joke. We're bringing it over.
April 2nd: Haha, April Fools, gently caress you.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Maybe it's hiding a character they haven't revealed yet.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I like being able to use whoever I like in games, and I don't see not being forced to use Ken as much of a fault. I used Aigis, Yukari, and Mitsuru for pretty much all of The Journey. When I eventually get around to P3P I'm definitely swapping Akihiko in there somewhere though - I wanted to use him but didn't really want to constantly swap him and Mitsuru, so he got left behind.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Amppelix posted:

At least it seems I made the correct choice regarding portables (:smug:) since it's outselling vita like crazy most of the big games will go on it, like a surprise SMT title!
Once the Vita gets some solid releases (Project DIVA) sales are probably going to pick up and development for it will increase in turn. Much like with the DS and PSP, I'd expect it to be worthwhile getting both systems, at least eventually.

It's too bad I'm broke and have neither. :(

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

It's nice to see some green in that top shot though. The world outside the ruins looks a little less destroyed than I would have expected.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Technique posted:

My recommended order:
P3 -> DDS1 -> DDS2 -> Nocturne -> Strange Journey
This is what I'd recommend as well. P3 is an excellent entry point to the series - P4 is good too, but I think more people have complained about going from P4 to P3 than the other way around. DDS is just a JRPG with character customization (Edit: and I should add that it's the kind of system you can't screw up), no collecting or fusing or whatever, but it'll get you used to the combat system and slogging through annoying dungeons before you start Nocturne. Put Strange Journey off as long as possible.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

glod posted:

Oh, really? I was under the impression that P4 was way more popular for some reason (at least in Japan). Nevermind, if that's the case!
If you're ever in doubt which of two things is more popular in Japan, always bank on the one with the robot girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Len posted:

I just got into the EEG Tower for the second time in DDS2 and goddamn this is the WORST loving place. I thought the Power Plant was bad. This is a million times worse.
Every dungeon in DDS is the worst dungeon until you see the next one.

Edit: That made me look at my Strange Journey save after not touching it for months. I'm only in Sector F. :(

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 16, 2012