Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The idea of a 3DS Persona game is something that I don't think my body could handle. It would be like literal crack to me. I would become pale and emaciated and found dead two weeks later clutching the 3DS in a pool of my own fluids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

A Sometimes Food posted:

Or Persona 4 Portable. Complete with Teddie making unbearable 4th wall breaking jokes about "still needing glases for the fog".

poo poo a Persona 4 remake with the same content upgrades as P3P (ie lady protag) would probably be the thing that forces me to get a 3DS.
Craaaaaaap.

Now you've got my hopes up, and I'm halfway through Novemeber in P3FES, and that makes me want to wait till its confirmed/denied to pick up P4.

What a horrible limbo I have been thrust into.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So, wait, as far as dating Shinji is concerned, does that mean he doesn't die in the girl MC storyline, or do you have to max his S.Link out before that happens?

And, I'm almost afraid to ask, do you end up "sharing a special evening" with Ken? :gonk:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Persona 3: FES question-- how do I get Satan? Is there some special thing you have to do, since he doesn't seem to be fusible?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I'm in the last month of the game, and there's no way I'm going to be able to max out the following S.Links:

Star
Moon
Temperence
Lovers
Empress

Are there any endgame Personae that I'm going to miss out due to not getting the Max S.Link personae from those links?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

jonjonaug posted:

Star has Helel, which is a crazy useful high level Persona. The fusion spell with Satan allows you to one-shot anything in the game except for the bonus boss.

If you're not planning on fighting the bonus boss though, you really don't need Helel because if you can fuse him you're already stupidly overleveled for the final fight.

To your earlier post: There's no special fusion for Satan, but Judgement Persona are typically difficult to find a good combination for to begin with.
Well shoot I actually want Helel so I can beat the Reaper and get to Monad. I think I've got that S.Link up to...5 and I have about 23 days left. Hopefully that's enough!

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

jonjonaug posted:

You can beat the Reaper by stunlocking him with Odin's Thunder Reign skill (it takes some luck though since you can be screwed over by a bad turn order). He's also entirely beatable without Armageddon, and grinding to a high enough level to be able to use it just to get access to Monad so you can grind even harder is kind of insane.
Well unlike practically every other JRPG ever made it's actually enjoyable to grind in this game, so I'm sorta interested in doing it just to see what it has to offer.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Baalster posted:

I remember DDS being a bit more challenging in the "Random Luck" department especially with the secret boss who is loving ridiculous even with max stats and the best mantras. I also love DDS' story and gameplay more than Nocturne's but that's an entirely different subject.
I found DDS actually pretty easy because I could just grind it into oblivion. The fact that you retain all your old skills and can combine them in anyway you want makes most battles trivial with sufficient grinding.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I was trying to figure out how anyone can reach level 99 in Persona 3 without going insane.

Now I understand.

Monad. :stare:

Why yes I would like 20,000 EXP from this fight, thank you very much.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I beat Persona 3 FES last night. I think I'm going to take a break before starting The Answer, after having burned 85 hours on the Journey.

Turns out being level 91 and having special fusion weapons with 400+ attack on three of my four party members did make me a little overpowered for the final fight! The closest I got to dying was when my MC got Charmed and killed Yukari, but I got payback when half my party got Enraged when the boss had about 400 HP left and no defenses.

Any tips for The Answer before I start playing?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
^^^But The World Ends With You Owns

So last night I ran my first game of a homebrewed Persona pen-and-paper RPG with my internet RP friends. I'm using a system tailored from a game called Magical Burst, which is designed as sort of a dark magical girl anime game but which actually converts almost perfectly to Persona with only some minor tweaks.

What's great about it my group is the array of experience that my players have with Persona and MegaTen in general. I got one guy who's played Persona 3 and 4, Nocturne, both Digital Devil Sagas and Devil Survivor; another guy currently playing Persona 3; one who is familiar with Persona and SMT but hasn't actually played any of them, and a fourth guy who has no idea about any of it.

If Atlus won't make Persona 5 then I'll just make my own. With blackjack. And hookers.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Hmmmmm this thread has 138 new replies I should go check on it--

quote:

fighting game

:stare:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Does anyone have the photoshop/april fools joke/whatever it was from like a few years back that was a mock-up of 32bit Persona fighting game?

It seems apropos to bring that up due to recent developments.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

TurnipFritter posted:

This?
The very same.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Perfect Potato posted:

Makes me wonder why the Legends 3 fan participation thing was dumb enough to be poo poo on a dozen times over in the 3DS thread, but pandering to the lowest common denominator with stupid, creepy poo poo like a dumb anime robot who fawns over the player character or near naked grade schoolers is sound business worth defending and getting huffy about.

HarveyVdarski, you max out Aigis' social link for that to happen. It's as cringe-worthy as it sounds.
Ha ha ha oh man I just looked up a video of that cutscene. That's ridiculous.

I'm not terribly bothered by the innuendo and sexual content of the games because it's miles less explicit than, say, American Pie or Superbad or any movie where the characters are meant to be high schoolers. I don't think Nanako in a towel is overly creepy either since her character isn't sexualized in any way during the game. It seems innocent enough to me.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
For the record I think the Aigis max S.Link smacks more of Atlus having fun with the idea of a robot girlfriend rather than aiming for genuine titillation.

EDIT: Then again it is an addition made to the FES release, which has like a ton of fanservice injected directly into it so maybe not.

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 1, 2011

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I am distressed whether to wait for P4G or buy the original now. When's the Vita coming out?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The high school sim elements in P3 really worked for me because they actually made me care about the characters, which is something that very few games have ever succeeded in doing. If I wasn't at least partially invested in them, then the ending wouldn't have been as powerful. As it is, it didn't really hit me until a while afterwards how the protagonists death would affect the people he knew and helped change. As a result it's one of the most moving endings I've seen in a game.

What I'm saying is that I'm a big gay baby.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Dolphin Fetus posted:

It always struck me as strange that parents and religious fundamentalists never attacked these games like they do with GTA or military shooter #44. Obviously the most controversial(SMT2) game was never released here but geeze..I've seen tons of fundies say how pokemon is satanic. So, what I'm getting at is that I did a bored google search and found this webpage:

http://guide2games.org/2008-reviews/991/shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-fes/

Persona 3 and DDS got a 2/5 christian rating, makes you wonder what he'd rate Nocturne :v:
What's the plot of SMT2 that makes it such a hot ticket?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Nessa posted:

(P3P ramblings and impressions up ahead. Spoilered just because.)
If I may offer a male perspective:

I dated and maxed out three female S.Links: Yuko, Chihiro and Fuuka. Of the three I thought Yuko was by far the best written and most compelling love interest. Her story arc with acting as a coach for the little kids was really endearing. Hers was also the only end game part that really got to me, once I realized that the MC was dead. Like, I was legit depressed after how she says she'll make the MC fall for her all over again.

Chihiro wasn't a good investment, I guess you could say. Her story arc is such pandering anime garbage by the end I was just grinding it out to get her Max Persona, which wasn't even that good. Fuuka was a happy medium, but the whole "girl can't cook how waaacky" is such an overdone trope that it kinda annoyed me from the get go.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Radish posted:

Junpei was kind of a dick in P3 and while I started out liking him, didn't really care much for him by the end of the game but felt like a much better friend in P3P.
See I really didn't care about Junpei until after Chidori, at which point he became one of my favorite characters. I ended up replacing Mitsuru with him, because he could deal all three types of physical damage which was really handy for the top levels of Tartarus, and because Mitsuru wouldn't stop using useless ailment attacks. On top of that I gave him the Lavaentenn, so he could do fire damage with his basic attacks which was pretty nice too.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Wally P posted:

I haven't finished P4 but vaguely know what the plot is like. It just never really grabbed me.

That being said, I don't mind Yosuke but I *adore* Junpei. We can argue about who is more "real" or whatever, but bottom line is that Junpei is like a billion times more bangable than Yosuke, and that's just really going to be the main selling point.

I only played P3:FES, and my favorite romantic link was Yuko. For me, she's totally what I would want in a significant other. She works hard, but doesn't take herself too seriously (for a high schooler -- i mean, you get the feeling she doesn't have a journal filled with emo/love poems). She's refreshingly direct about things, including her affection for the MC. She has fairly standard concerns ("do you think I eat too much? am I feminine enough?") but is relatively well-adjusted about it all, considering. Plus, if that weren't enough, her max link persona is one of the earliest fuseable "godlike" personas that you can stick with and win the game in relative ease. Yuko for best romantic s.link male route.
One of my friends who knows more about SMT than I do would always give me a hard time and say that Physical Attacks are for chumps, until I told him that my Siegfried deals between 300 and 500 points of damage with Akasha Arts to every enemy on the field, and will crit at least two of them. He was, to say the least, surprised.

Yuko: best S.Link, best computer girlfriend.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Wally P posted:

Akasha Arts! Did you get a morph or did you get him to inherit it through fusion? I still like Vorpal Blade better simply because you get a boost for being in "Great" status, which is ridiculously easy to achieve later in the game when Tartarus is for chumps.

Also, making sure that my personas inherit growth skills was one of the best things I did. Had to do a lot less persona-swapping management to keep my stable up to snuff.
Inherited through growth. Ultimately I replaced him with Scathath who had Akasha Arts and also some very helpful magic attacks too, but he lasted me through most of the penultimate block in Tartarus.

It was Siegfried and Odin all the way. Ring of the Nibelungen baby.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I'm still reading it as Mayonnaise Arena.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Set Persona 5 in America. Crossed with Stephen King's IT. Characters summon Personae based on native/mesoamerican deities.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Alteisen posted:

I loving hated the final dungeon in DDS1 and the one 2 is like every single thing people hate about SMT dungeons rolled into one.
The final dungeon in DDS1 had some cool set pieces like the Sea of Milk and I wouldn't have minded it so much had it not been necessary to leave at the top floor to fight the optional bosses elsewhere on the map. I didn't even know about this until after the fact and I was retroactively pissed.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I'm current running a Persona RPG over instant messanger with some friends that's set in an American charter school and the main characters all have Personae based on native american mythology, so there's ground to be covered there in a proper game. I appreciate that Atlus has the professional integrity to not set a game here unless they knew they could do the setting justice, but part of me wants to see what it would be like if they just did it anyway and instead of having the game being an honest take on American culture it was a skewed vision of America through Japanese eyes where everyone carries a gun and black people are literal superheroes.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I finally started Persona 4, and maaaaaan I am not prepared for the Contrarian King at all. Am I supposed to come back to that way later, or just figure out a better strategy to beat it?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I'm in September for Persona 4, and I'm leveled to around 45. Am I going to be all set for future dungeons, or should I do some grinding? Persona 4's format is a lot different from P3 in that going to the TV is an opportunity cost thing vs building up my S.Links, so as a result I haven't done nearly as much in there as I did in Persona 3.

Then again I ground that game into oblivion until all difficulty was erased (I fought the endboss at level 95 on my first playthrough), so I might have to get used to the idea of a game being challenging.

Also is the late game like P3 where you can use any party you want, or will I be at a disadvantage not using certain characters? I've been using Chie, Yukiko and Kanji almost exclusively.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Nessa posted:

Chie, Yukiko and Kanji are fine. Get everything done while you can because the game ends earlier in the year than P3.
Yeah I read on Before I Play that the Dojimas are cut off on December 2, and everyone else around December 22. I should be fine with them, it just took me forever to get my Expression up to Enthralling. I already maxed out Yukiko and the other two are pretty close as well.

Gotta max out that Devil S.Link too :pervert:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

vividArcanity posted:

I think this is why most people argue that Chie is a better physical fighter than Kanji is, but then again, I've never seen Kanji's follow-up because I'm in Void Quest and managed to completely miss the start of his social link :suicide:.
Kanji's follow-up attack is Atomic Press and is probably the second best after Chie's Galactic Punt. He lets out a shockwave that will crit several enemies at once. It's random but against large numbers of shadows it can be a godsend.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

mrfreeze posted:

And as for characters you aren't supposed to use, the situation is that for reasons you won't want ruined for you, Gale and Cielo are absolutely critical to keep in your party at all times once you start DDS 2. As far as game 1 goes, you can pretty much use whoever you want though.
Cielo sucks in DDS1 because he's weak against Ailments, so having him around is kind of a liability. Ultimately you can unlock Exp and Atma sharing skills that let you level up your secondary characters at the same rate as your party, but that takes a bit of grinding.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Alright so I'm nearing the endgame in Persona 4 and I got a question. I read about how to get the "Normal Ending" but I understand that there's a secret ending as well. Can I get a little guidance on how to proceed with December to get the most out of it without spoiling too much?

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I figured out that Adachi was the killer because he was the only character left at the end. The other option would have been to either introduce an entirely new character, or I guess to have one of the party members be the guilty party. Ultimately the game doesn't leave you with enough of a rogues gallery to make the final deduction compelling.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Finally beat the True Ending of Persona 4 today, after dying twice and reassessing my strategy. Gotta say, that's easily the best RPG I've ever played.

Part of me wishes it had an equivalent to the Monad Depths where I could grind up to level 90 and barely break a sweat, but lacking that made me actually strategize against the final boss instead of brute forcing it like I wound up doing in Persona 3 and I think I like that better.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So, this youtube channel has been floating around recently. I mean theres basically a 100% chance its just some fan hoax but if this was some big viral marketing thing, that'd be pretty awesome. Loving the theme they went with.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ATLUSxP5

e: Yeah listened to a few more songs, it's obviously a fake but goddamn if I didn't get my hopes up for a split second. :(
Same here. It looks so legit!

Man I realize now that once Persona 5 comes out I'll probably have to buy a PS3.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Kimitsu posted:

Though main case for the first half of Persona 2 were teenagers? It's only because the second half focused around an adult character (Maya) that it had an adult cast - which was still a refreshing change, but just saying.
I get the feeling that Catherine was sort of an experiment by Atlus that will payoff in Persona 5.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I'd suggest playing Digital Devil Saga before Nocturne. Nocturne is infamously difficult, far more than either of the two Persona games you've played. DDS is a good bridge between those difficulty levels.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
It's much easier to brute force you way through the game in DDS though, since there's no fusion and you have full control over what skills everyone learns. Especially if you obsessively grind like I did. In any other game the amount of grinding I did would be inexcusable, but DDS's gameplay is so good that I barely even noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
With the way that Catherine was tied in via cameo into P3P, it wouldn't surprise me if Persona 5 goes down a similar route as that game. Not necessarily the puzzle game bits, but dealing in a more adult setting than the last two Persona games.

It probably will not happen but if it did it would make perfect sense.