Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Radish posted:

Is it just me or is there old modem sounds in the background of that?

Well God was mad at the internet, so he must've bumped humanity back to using dial up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I gave up on Strange Journey when they wanted the player to run around multiple floors without any indication as to where to go, looking for the boss. Some of the floors wouldn't even show up on the map and had invisible walls, so you have to spend 10 minutes bumping up against them trying to find every possible path. Since people keep mentioning Sector E, I assume that's it. What's even worse is, I can't check a guide to help because I played it so long ago, and forgot how many times I've seen him.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

kthegreat posted:

I'm pretty sure you are talking about Sector C, not E.

Yeah, it's C. I checked gamefaqs again and I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've gone to four different places and he's not in any of them.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, I already did that. He's nowhere now.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Does that mean there isn't even a Japanese version? That's... very odd. Did Devil Survivor sell really well?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, weren't the first screens revealed on Famitsu's site? I definitely remember there being a Neogaf thread about it.

The biggest thing I want to know about the game is: Is there a Magical Girl path starring Midori? This is very important.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Considering her character and design, were you expecting something different?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Eh, P4 getting ported doesn't really interest me. I just didn't like the game very much. Why haven't they made a P5 yet?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Policenaut posted:

They're making P5 now. It's just a hell of a lot easier to take a finished game, add some stuff, polish the graphics, and get it out as a launch game for something than it is to make an entirely new game.

We haven't heard anything about P5 in years and never knew a single thing about it. I can't imagine that's a good sign.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well you gotta remember, they have a lot more work to do than they did with p3 and p4 (since besides some additions, the majority of demon models were just ripped from Nocturne and DDS). They gotta do ALL of that from scratch in HD for P5.

Yeah, but if it takes so much effort, what have they been doing the past two years? They should surely have something to show for the work they've supposedly been doing, but we've gotten absolutely nothing.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Teddy's Social Link is already plot dependent, having a romance option would completely change it. Might as well just not bother.

Schlegel Mach posted:

They were working on Catherine. :eng101:

Which means they haven't been working on P5, even after it was apparently said to exist. Gives me VS XIII vibes.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Policenaut posted:

V13 has excited for quite awhile now, they announced it like 5 years ago alongside then-Agito 13 and FF13 and for a long time we only had a trailer or two. Agito, later "Type-0" was supposed to be a cell phone game.

They haven't even started the actual production for VSXIII though, which is what I meant. Considering we've actually seen stuff from that game though means P5's got it even worse.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Ryoshi posted:

So I'm sure this is a dumb question but what exactly ties the "main series" SMT games together? I mean they're not in any kind of real continuity, are they? I've only played Devil Survivor and Strange Journey from the main series and all four Persona games (well, and a brief stint on SMT: Imagine - sooooo much wasted potential).

I'm looking to grab Nocturne next if I can figure out a way to safely stash a PS2 Slim, controller and connectors in my carry on bag.
Mostly similar themes, characters and demons. Just think of it like Final Fantasy.

One thing to note though, I'm pretty sure in Japan Persona isn't part of the SMT series.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I thought P4 only accented how much a silent protagonist is outdated these days. I found it very unsatisfying that his responses were based off stats and you got things like "You explained to Nanako why people die". It just seems like Atlus thinks the main character has to be silent.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'd think Alpha Protocol's way is better. You're given the mood of what you'll say (Persuasive, Professional, Seductive, etc), so instead of seeing specific words, you see more how the conversation itself will go. It's also timed, so you're not able to think about it too much, like an actual conversation.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Isn't that exactly what P3 and 4's main characters are, switching personas just so people will like them more?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

If I play through 4 again on the Vita, will it change much that I know who the murderer is, I wonder?

Probably not much at all, they spend 90% of the game on a wild goose chase and it's not really apparent.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

fount of knowledge posted:

I didn't even realize how much this would improve the game until you mentioned it. What's the point of semi-randomly assigning skills anyway, other than "That's how we did it in Nocturne/P3". All it meant was wasting ten minutes hitting X and Circle until they came up anyway.

Edit: "gently caress YOU PULINPA GO AWAY"

I think they assume players don't actually do that and just take whatever they get, to add a "every fusion is different" gimmick. Unfortunately sometimes things require that much sperginess.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I would just like to say that in addition to all of the complaining in this thread about actual Shin Megami games, that a little while ago here, in the Shin Megam thread, it was announced that the team who made BlazBlue would be making a Persona fighting game and people actually complained about it. A literal gift from the gods and you complained about it.

What the hell is wrong with you people?

I think it's a really, really stupid idea and can't imagine it turning out very well. Those screenshots looked awkward as hell to me.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Before the game came out, they said there wasn't going to be a FES version of it, but the last part seemed exactly like something they added, terrible execution and all. I have a feeling they were originally going to hold back on putting that in the gaem, but decided not to piss people off.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

There is absolutely no chance of this. The plotline is present throughout the entire game, from the handshake that starts it to the constant references near the end. It's fine not to like it but it wasn't something unintended.

Well then whoever wrote the game's story should probably stop. The way they tacked on the ending really made it seem like they wrote it as they were going along.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

For the OP, would it be fair to say that Overclocked isn't a compelling purchase for those who have already played the game, but is the better version overall?

As for the P4 ending, , while it made perfect sense with the story and was necessary in that regard, the sudden "Haha! You have found me out! Now come find me and battle me, bye!" thing, and the execution of getting to the true ending, weren't great.

This is what I meant when I said it felt tacked on. Multiple times they go "This is the final battle! For real!" just for it to be found out that another mysterious force was actually behind it all. It felt like a cheap way to make a plot twist.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I don't have much to say, but that was definitely the hardest fight in the original game. Once you manage to get past it, you can rest assured that the game never pulls poo poo like that again.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

PunkBoy posted:

But that's what makes Yosuke's story tragic. You never really know how Saki felt about him. The TV World Saki obviously detested him, but it's later shown that those are only the deepest darkest feelings of a person. It's entirely possible the attraction was mutual. But of course now and forever Yosuke will never truly know. It's like the worst "one that got away" scenario. In a game with a theme of "finding a truth," the fact that this truth is lost forever does make me sympathetic to Yosuke, although he eventually moves on.

But really, Chie is obviously the MC's bro in 4. :colbert:

But that's the thing, Yosuke didn't care about her either, he was just excited about going into the TV world. Even if their shadow forms are exaggerated, they don't outright lie about these things.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that hated Yosuke. Kanji was so insecure about being gay that he almost literally killed himself, and yet Yosuke makes fun of him on more than one occasion. Two girls that couldn't cook ended up having to only because he was lazy, and he still bitches about it being bad over and over. Yosuke's an rear end.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Baalster posted:

He even goes on to whine about Chie spending his money when he did not at all think for even a second that sending a newly human Teddie to Junes may have been a bad idea.

I can't really blame him for this one. It's a mall, I think there'd be at least one store with reasonably priced clothing.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

jonjonaug posted:

New anime trailer. It looks really nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOhkqf5qulE

I really don't like the way everything seems to be amber tinted, but other than that it looks nice. Do we know what name the main character is going to be known as?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I don't really like the way Kanji's a huge muscleman in that, in P4 he's pretty drat lanky. Course, that's not the only problem with his design (he looks like he's middle aged but he's younger than the main character) so maybe it was a game limitation.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I don't like Naoto, but I think Aigis blows her out of the park in that department.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Well, what reason do any of the other characters have for being there? I don't really think much would change if say, Yosuke didn't exist.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Yosuke's the MC's mouthpiece, a lot would change if he wasn't there.
Everyone fills that role though, does it really matter if there's one less mouth to repeat everything you apparently just said?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I don't really think you can fault Naoto for taking the reigns of the gang's "investigation", since all they really did is wait around until the next kidnapping. Or in Nanako's case, they actively ran away, essentially putting a gigantic neon sign up that said "PLEASE KIDNAP".

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

LightningKimba posted:

I actually never hated any of the P4 cast at all, rather, I find it a little weird to hate on anyone. Yosuke's immature, sure, but he's also a Sophomore in his class, and in the beginning of the game, you'd know he isn't going to be the brightest bulb on the team. I found him pretty funny throughout the game, and not once wanted to kick him off, since even gameplay-wise, he was useful for his jack-of-all-trades skill list.

He constantly made fun of Kanji for being gay, something he almost literally killed himself over. That's not really something friends do. There's also the whole issue of him not caring about Saki, only to get really emotional when faced with the murders. I realize it's possible he could've started caring afterwards, but it just felt really weird for him to act that way.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

LightningKimba posted:

I dunno, I guess my suspension of disbelief allowed me to believe in Yosuke's prankster-like character throughout the game, heh. His whole thing with Kanji, I took to him being too immature to really understand or talk about without resorting to being creeped out.

I could understand this if there weren't scenes like the one in the tent. If he didn't want to talk about it, he wouldn't say things like "Is it safe for us to be in here with him?" He's just an rear end in a top hat.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Nobody else makes those kinds of statements towards Kanji, so yeah, I can blame him. I'd also think it'd be common sense to have some sensitivity to these things when they literally battle people's self doubts on a regular basis.

edit: I don't really remember specific parts where he mentions it, I just remember in general. Of course, it's not really the only reason I dislike Yosuke (he's an asshsole in general), but that was probably the worst of it.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

You really don't know teenagers very well. Even friendly teenagers will make some pretty drat hurtful comments about stuff like that. It's not even meant to be as "I dislike you" thing, it is just that most teenagers are kind of assholes, especially about sensitive matters like that.

The whole game is about getting past these things though, it feels very wrong that Yosuke could see a guy feel this way and then make fun of him.

quote:

Yeah, really. Go to any American high school and you'll see tons of kids making comments like that. Yosuke was being a cock, don't get me wrong, but he got over it and treated Kanji as a friend and someone he could trust.

Did he, though? I can't think of any scenes that portray this.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I didn't like the way P4 managed time. You had to choose between almost all your Social Links and training, unlike P3 where you could do both. If they changed anything, changing that would be the thing I want most.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I used a party of Chie, Kanji and Yukiko, and all three of them seemed very underwhelming the entire time. In general, Chie's attacks did eh damage, Yukiko did eh healing and Kanji barely ever hit anything with his normal attack. I'm not really sure what it is, they just felt really weak compared to the parties in P3.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I think my biggest problem with P4 was that they solved the mystery not through reasoning with Izanami, but by killing her. It doesn't feel like they "solved" anything, especially when the entire game was just one event after another, and the group was just kind of waiting for things to happen.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Sex_Ferguson posted:

In all honesty that ending would've been significantly better had Izanami even acknowledged for a second she had been handing out copies of her husband to random guys or a nice little piece of special dialogue for using Izanagi against her. Something to make the mythology more meaningful than "These two are married and Izanagi treated her not that well so this is kind of ironic".
That's another thing that confused me. I assumed what they've been using the entire time were the concepts of these figures. Like, Akihiko wasn't literally summoning Caesar to fight his enemies, and you don't bring the real Satan out to take care of things. The way Izanami did it seemed more like she was mockingly giving people the image of her former husband.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I went with a pure strength MC and found him to be the hardest by far. Everything after is pretty easy to just punch through.