Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Wait so Overclocked is literally not in 3D? I didn't even know that was an option developers had for the 3DS. I'll still buy it, because I liked the original enough that I'd like to get the definitive version, but I'm still disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm ashamed of how excited I am for a persona 4 remake. I mean, I'd rather they make new games and IPs, but drat it I'm still going to buy it the day it comes out, and be giddy with excitement everyday beforehand.

Xythar posted:

Well we got an English release of Catherine and we're getting one of Innocent Sin despite it never being released outside of Japan at all so I'm going to remain optimistic.

If it we're any other company I would be worried, but Atlas is pretty good about this kind of thing, so I'm going to be optimistic as well. Admittedly, Justice is probably in a better position to know, but still.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 25, 2011

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So, after abusing the suspend save feature for around an hour to force the RNG to bend to my will, I beat the game. But....There's no 8th day. (at least for the Atsuro route) which is a bit disappointing to say the least. I hope it's not only one ending that has it and the rest get shafted because that just screams laziness. :geno:

This post made me look up more about the 8th day and I think it's kind of supposed to be like the Answer in P3 where it doesn't start up after you beat the game, so maybe check the menus and see if you've unlocked the 8th day or something.

Edit: Never mind, this is wrong, read the post above me.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nathander posted:

Remember the car crash that kills the main protagonists family? His family was mother, father, and twin sister. In the original, he's the one that lives. In P3P route, he's the one that dies and it's his twin sister you play as.

:aaa: I never caught on to that, that's pretty clever. That being said, I really don't think that makes any difference as to the viability of a Female Protagonist in a P4 remake.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Catalina posted:

*An element that has been highly requested by fans

Anyone have any idea what this could be? I can't think of any feature that was missing in P4 and that people may want. Might be female route, but would they be cryptic with something so big?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Demons' Souls multiplayer interactivity in a staunchly single player SMT game seems like an odd but kinda exciting idea.

Man I would never need another game if the multiplayer is like Demons' Souls'. I have no idea how it would work, but from the sound of it, it seems to be potentially similar to blue phantoming, which could be really cool if done well. It would be even more awesome if you could invade other players in some capacity, maybe even control the enemies in a random encounter, but that's really unlikely.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

Thanks for the responses on Strange Journey, guys - sounds like it's worth getting through just for the goodies on NG+!

On a completely different note - how long will the Persona 1/2/3P games be available on the PSN? I have a physical copy of P1 (two if you count the Playstation version that I've played precisely once since buying it a year ago) but never play it due to the PSP's abysmal battery life and the fact that both of mine are busted up. I'll probably buy all three the day the Vita drops if they're still available but I don't know if they'll be up forever or if Atlus hates money and pulls things from the online store every so often or what.

I'm....kind of bad at the PSN.

As far as I'm aware, games stay up indefinitely on the psn.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

When it seems like the game is over, go to Junes, even though the game insists there's no reason for you to do so. That's for the true ending. Earlier in the game, there's a decision that will get you either the bad ending, or set you on the path to the normal and true endings. On December 3rd, you'll be asked six questions, all of which you have to choose the right answer for or you'll get the bad ending. Post again when you make it there, because there's no way to tell you the right answers without spoilers. (Well I suppose somebody could tell you which answers to choose numerically, but I can't remember that.)

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 25, 2011

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

jonjonaug posted:

Or, you know, you could not be an idiot and avoid the bad end simply by thinking things through when you're making choices in heavily charged situations.

Yeah it really isn't that hard to avoid the bad end, you could easily do it without a guide, but hey, the guy asked a question, so I answered him as best as I could. Besides, the game does railroad you up to that point, so I could see somebody who doesn't think their answer will actually affect the plot getting the bad end.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 25, 2011

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Fooley posted:

Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with JRPGs, but are all SMT games down to a roll of the dice as Devil Survivor? I finally beat the battle with Gin and Azuma, but a couple of my failures were because he managed to get petrified then killed. Some even before my second turn. Or because I got down to one Shomonkai and figured I could hold back and heal a bit, and he managed to die to him too.

Devil survivor is pretty bad about making you protect allies that can die way too easily. Other games in the series aren't turn based strategy, so you don't have to worry about protecting NPC's and the like. There still is some luck involved, (insta-kills, status effects), but generally part of the series' strategy is setting up builds that can nullify these things.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

6, I believe.

Ronaldo
Yamato
Daichi 1
Daichi 2
Daichi True
Anguished One

Are there seriously 3 Daichi ends? That's kind of odd.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

UselessLurker posted:

Just got to Day 5 and... really? Seriously? :shepicide:

find someone sexy? are you kidding me.

It gets worse.

Having my hopes that the writers had shame being gradually dashed as I tried the list of potential non-creepy candidates was a terrible experience.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm curious, what ending did everybody go for on their first playthrough of DS2? Personally I went with the Anguished one, because I'm a sucker for the neutral or whatever you'd call it path in SMT games.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

redreader posted:

this may have been covered already but for castlevania dracula x, for instance, how do I transfer my saves?

ALSO. I am going to bite the bullet and get VC3 in japanese since it will never come out in english. Is it worth it? is it fun if I will never know about or care about the characters? has anyone else done this? from what I understand the translations are just menu translations. I LOVED 1 and 2.

You may have wanted the RPG thread. However, VC3 is great, speaking as someone who doesn't speak a lick of Japanese. There are menu guides on gamefaqs so it's never that confusing, and if you're willing to search through the gamefaqs forums someone translated the first 4 chapters, so you can get a general idea what's going on.

On a more relevant note (DS2)the Anguished One is awesome. You can pretty much set it up so they take no damage from all but two types, which they resist.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 7, 2012

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

In DS2, giving Jungo assassinate and a dragon with evil flow is absolutely hilarious. Taking out the most powerful teams on the map by hitting their leader for over a thousand damage from 6 spaces away never gets old.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Pharohman777 posted:

About 1 team could pull off, late game, 4-5 enemy team kills before running out of health/mana.

Well that's the thing though, a magic based MC with Drain/Holy Dance/some form of healing can take down 4-5 late game enemy teams without even making a dent in their resources, while your other characters should still be able to take out around 4-5, like you said.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

What determines (DS2)If a character can be persuaded to rejoin you in the last two days? Is it based on your Fate level with some characters rejoining no matter what? Because for the most part the characters that have joined me are ones I had high Fate levels with, but then I get something like Daichi joining at Level 2 and I don't know what anymore. And Ronaldo died even though we were at Level 5, but I have feeling that would have happened on any ending but his own.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Dogbutt posted:

Well, I finally beat Boltis (Bai Suzuhen is very useful) and I was curious about something. Is there anyway to save Jungo? I'm just curious because he is now dead. Also, RONALD OH MY GOD.

Yeah there is. I'm not sure what the conditions are though , generally when you're trying to save a character you want to do any potentially relevant events as soon as possible. I think for Jungo you need to get the RAM a certain character asks for as soon as possible.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Pierce posted:

Alright, day 8 in DS2 Polaris via Daichi's path is beating my rear end Any tips?

Reflect physical. Pierce doesn't get past reflect, so you can turn its own attacks against it.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 10, 2012

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cityinthesea posted:

I didn't do his stuff on my first playthrough, because... I was already using Io for strength stuff, but drat if his Fate stuff isn't the best.

I cried when he ran away from Jungocat :(

Jungo the cat is simultaneously the most adorable thing ever and the most :smith: thing ever. Either way, it's part of the reason Jungo's the best. 2000 damage assassinates is another.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Fungah! posted:

So what's the consensus on DS2? Good, bad, somewhere in between? I liked the first one a lot, for reference

It's more of the same, really. More demons, more skills, etc. but otherwise the gameplay's the same quality as DS1. The writing is definitely worse though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Yeah I definitely felt the humans themselves were way stronger in DS2 than ever before. It made me pretty lazy about fusions later on.

My memory of DS1 isn't too great, but I definitely agree with this. I feel like they were built a lot better, Fumi and Jungo are near ideal Magic/Phys builds for example. Fumi was pretty much equal to my MC statwise most of the time.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

I dunno, with the inclusion of Multi-Strike, Hinako and comes closer to being an "ideal" Phys build. Jungo doesn't get Vit fast enough for an early Attack All for optimum Rage Soul abuse, and his Agility will always be terrible; he hits the 9 Agi checkmark a little too late to get Assassinate at a decent point.

Yeah, but Jungo is the best character. :colbert: (I felt like someone might call me out on that, Jungo worked great for me but I never really gave any other Phys characters a chance.)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

drat, I definitely missed out when I failed to save Jungo in my first playthrough; his side story is amazing.

"Jungo is the only name I can remember well, so I'll name him Jungo."

This is true. Jungo the kitty is the best part of DS2 by far :3: Jungo the person is the second best.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Davos posted:

So I have a DS, but no 3DS. Should I just play DS1 now or wait til sometime down the line when I have a chance to get a 3DS cheap and play the updated version?

There's not really enough new content to justify the wait, in my opinion at least.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I think we can all agree that Jungo is the best though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Technique posted:

Say, does Pierce deal full damage to team leaders too, or am i still going to need Assassinate for that? And since it only mentions that it can still be reflected, does that mean that it will go through nulls and drains as well?

As I recall, all Pierce does is bypass any resistances to phys except for reflect. So it doesn't do full damage to leaders, but it does go through Null and Drain Phys.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

So, I'm a bit late to the game in regards to the Devil Survivor games. I know that difficulty is kind of a trademark of many of the SMT games, but a lot of the missions in DS1 are complete bullshit, particularly the ones where you have to save civilians all the way on the other side of the map who are surrounded by enemies and if you don't have all the correct skills you won't even get there in time to do anything about it. I don't mind having to do a bit of grinding here and there to make sure all my demons are up to the task for the mission on occation, but having to do those missions 5+ times just to find the exact correct positioning and skills to save that one civilian who happens to be all the way in the back with demons right next to them just drives me to not want to finish the game.

My question is does DS2 have those same "Don't let a single suicidal civilian die even though there is almost no chance of saving them" missions? If those were removed I may just say "screw this" to finishing the first one and move on to 2.

Nah, it's way better about that then DS1.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

Is the 3DS region locked? I might finally pick one up when SMT4 is released; I've been on the edge about buying one for a while, and all that furigana -- if the game ships with it -- will help me practice my neglected Japanese.

Sadly enough, the 3ds is region locked.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Totally justifies getting a Vita :allears:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Around what time does the PSN update? I need my fix.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's exactly that.

The poll would be somewhat bias though, as the bigger nerds are probably more likely to send in answers. Also screw the haters, Naoto's alright.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I doubt it was intentional, but it always felt like Yosuke was overcompensating for his :gay: relationship with the MC.

DeathBySpoon posted:

Crossposting from the Vita thread to say that Persona 4 is live on the PSN!

:toot: Only an incredibly long download away. Also, is anybody making a thread for Golden? I've been keeping myself blind, but if no one else does I'll do some research and make a thread.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Cheap Diner Coffee posted:

Yeah, having a separate thread for newcomers might be a good idea. I think the majority of the people in here have already played it, and while having discussions about things that span the entirety of the game is fun, it seems like it'd be a minefield for people looking for help in the game without any other thread options.

I'm working on one now, although I'm not a great writer so if anyone else gets something done first, feel free to post it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

This look good for an OP? http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=9197

e: For some reason I can't see half the pictures anymore. Is this on my end?

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 21, 2012

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The thread for Golden is up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518546

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

That's be interesting. To be honest, I hope they don't ditch the life-simulator aspect (it doesn't have to be school though) in the next Persona, I find it a lot of fun.

Honestly, I really like Persona 3 and 4 though, so I'm one of the sheep who would buy Persona 5 day 1 and call it game of the year if it were nothing but refinements on the established formula. I'm sorry everyone.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It makes me wonder if the game's primary audience is that age and would find that stuff uncomfortably close to home, or if they've "grown up with" the series from 3 and would now identify with that more readily. Weird stuff happens when you ground a game in reality.

Isn't adult life supposed to be pretty crushing in Japan though? I dunno, all my sources are second hand, but I always kind of thought the reason high school was such a popular setting was because of escapism.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 28, 2012

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

How do I address that for my leaders when there's only like one Repel!? That's the only one that doesn't get screwed by pierce. I can revive my remons all I want, but if a leader dies, that's it. Unless I've been playing this entire game without reviving party members.

Uh, you can totally revive party members. Use Recarm on an empty space and it should give you the option.

e: Hinako, Otome and Fumi are a really good team. How have you built Hinako? Throw Multi-Strike, +Stone, Grimoire and Tailwind on her if you want to make her a killing machine. It won't help too much on the boss, but it'll help clear away the mooks.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

How exactly do the Fate system and multiple endings work for DS2? I know the obvious Yamato vs. Ronaldo paths and also Daichi, but there's more, right? What are the requirements for those?

And for the Fate system, do I need to get absolutely everyone to level 5 by the last day, or just enough to get them to join? I know one or two showed up at level 4.

There's 5 endings - Yamato, Ronaldo, The Anguished One, Daichi, and Daichi better. To get the second Daichi ending, you need to get everyone up to Fate 4, see the conversation about the Akashic records between Fumi and Daichi, and then go down Daichi's ending as normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Pierce+ is AO route only, I believe.