Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

projecthalaxy posted:

So is it a thing like going anything but Pistols in Alpha Protocol where a Mag-based build is completely untenable for playing on Normal? Because at the moment I'm enjoying being able to drop most entire encounter groups with Fire/Ice Breath and basically all the Magatama I have access to at the moment are focused on magic. I'd really like to stay as a caster if it is remotely playable. I haven't explored Ginza yet, I only just arrived. Do physical Magatama beside the first one start showing up soon?

Pistols are massively overpowered in Alpha Protocol due to that bullet time ability.

Real talk: Magic builds are fine, but the bonus/true final boss has massive resistance to everything that you can break with a skill you get for clearing the Labyrinth of Amala that only applies to physical attacks. There are some REALLY good late game physical attacks too. Honestly magic builds are better for the first half of the game and it's only around the last few dungeons physical starts to edge it out. You can get Pierce on your demons, although it's a bit troublesome to do so, so really you can go with a magic build and still clear the True Demon ending if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The random encounter alert has been a franchise mainstay since Shin Megami Tensei 2, and has been back ported to the ports of SMT1.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Murcor posted:

I just started a dds game to play alongside nocturne, and wow these games get dark fast.
Speaking of nocturne, I just beat the ghost rider and learned its possible to get the candelabra guys in your party, are they worth shooting for?

Most of them are. Daisoujou, Red Rider, and Mother Harlot are all obscenely good. Red Rider has a move that does good physical damage to an entire enemy party for 10MP (not HP) and inflicts panic, so if you can fuse Mana Refill onto him you've basically broken the game. Mana Refill in general is a skill you should fuse onto as many demons as possible, it lets you use powerful magic pretty much with complete impunity.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I got to the invisible wall maze in Nocturne on the PSN version, but I think there's something wrong with it.

Outside of a bit of lag in a couple spots in the Obelisk, this is the first obvious issue I've encountered.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Rapidly approaching the end of this Nocturne playthrough. The Reason bosses are chumps, as always. I ended up getting Ahriman with a critical Deathbound that hit twice at max attack buff and defense debuff levels. His second phase didn't even get off a single attack. Kind of a shame considering how intimidating he looks.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Have fun with Noah.

I always just walk past him and come back when I get Freikugal, which he can't defend against. It renders his entire gimmick pointless.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Suaimhneas posted:

So, considering that Strange Journey is the only non-Persona SMT game I've played, and I hated it because I thought demon negotiation was a bullshit unfun mechanic and the dungeons were terrible, is there much point to me trying Nocturne?

Demon negotiation can still be kinda bullshit at times but you have a lot more options. Your demons can learn skills to negotiate themselves, and some have nearly a 100% success rate under certain conditions. "Brainwash", as an example, is great for snapping up lower level demons (10 or more below the speaker) as fusion fodder. Demons can also learn support conversation skills that will help keep potential recruits from leaving.

There's a few other quirks to the system, but the most important thing to know is that at Full Kagutsuchi demon's respond 1/3rd of the time, but if you can get them to respond they'll jump straight to asking a final question. If your answer pleases them, they'll often join up for free. This can also be used to recruit demons you normally cannot recruit, namely Foul, Haunt, and Wilder demons (in fact these demons seem to respond better at full Kagutsuchi than other races). This can be used to bolster your party significantly and open up a lot of options in the early stages of the game that you might not normally think of (nothing quite like recruiting a Zhen as early as possible. You still cannot recruit Vile, Raptor, Element, Mitama, or Tyrant demons this way.

As for the dungeons, they're a lot better in Nocturne. The mechanics are clever and take advantage of the 3D environment pretty well. While a couple of dungeons still have teleport mazes, they're much easier to map out and nowhere near as irritating as the second half of Strange Journey.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 20, 2014

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
To anyone thinking about buying Digital Devil Saga on the PSN: Hold off until Atlus releases a patch for it (if they ever do). The framerate is kind of awful, to the point where the audio of a lot of attacks will desync from their animations. Getting around on the map feels slow and floaty most of the time, nothing like the slick experience of the PS2 version. I made it past the first boss, but couldn't keep going when the "impact" part of the audio for his unique attack occurred while he was still in his wind-up animation.

The only emulation issues with Nocturne were some slight lag in a couple of locations (but never during battles) and a couple of the gimmicks in the Labyrinth of Amala didn't work correctly (invisible wall maze in the 2nd Kalpa and fade-away walls in the 5th), but this is borderline unplayable for me.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Thundercracker posted:

Is the grinding in Nocturne really as painful as it seems? I'm towards the beginning right before committing B&E on Lokis apartment

The only time you ever really maybe should be grinding is if you want to fuse Uzume for the Matador fight.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Oh great I wanted to replay DDS but turns out my PS2 saves are gone so now I'll be able to get it on PSN!

Are you playing DDS1 on the PS3? Does the lag ever go away?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Prism posted:

I agree with the subtitles, but what's wrong with defence?

It's spelled with a 'c' in British English and with an 's' in American English.

e:fb

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Is Devil Survivor Overclocked any good? Blazed through DDS and I need an SMT fix.

It is but the voice acting is pretty bad when compared to the Persona games. Other than that it's a cool SRPG with a story that is much more in line with traditional SMT than you'd expect from the art style.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Excels posted:

Is there a secret trick to the Demon Auction? Also when do the demons you get stop being poo poo?

Fusing demons works really well in this game since you can select which skills you want to carry over. Early in the game you also unlock a feature that will allow you to place attack skills on your demons out of the attack skills that you've cracked (it happens every so often during battle).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Speedball posted:

Bleh, is anyone else noticing a lag in Digital Devil Saga on PS3? It's annoying as gently caress, it shows up during cutscenes too, sound effects start showing up at the wrong spots or not at all. And the sound of thumps when Heat beats his chest post-battle-victory are out of synch.

edit: It became most noticable in the cutscene before the Jinana boss fight. Something about how that cutscene is programmed --character subtitles match up with character audio because they have the same trigger but NEITHER are in time with the action and stuff like Demon Jinana screaming are way out of synch by like five seconds. The sound effect of ground crumbling when it got shattered never played at all. Very take-me-out-of-the-experience.

I couldn't make it very far past the first boss for the same reason. The emulation is just Not Good.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jun 13, 2014