Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I don't think anybody sees Naoya for the first time without immediately assuming that he's evil.

Due to some poor decisions on my part, the Chaos and Law paths ended up being my first two endings in Devil Survivor. Naoya is a massive prick but the actual Chaos ending is pretty rad, and I actually kind of felt bad getting the Law ending because the outcome seemed really lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

To be honest the main thing I don't like about the Chaos path is how Naoya insists on being a shady, manipulative rear end in a top hat and won't actually explain what's going on even in his ending.

I mean he could just say "hey bro let's go kill god" and I'd be down with that. He doesn't have to make me jump through all those hoops.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 19, 2011

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

I'm just wondering if Devil Survivor 2 is completely independent of Devil Survivor 1 or if it's more like Persona 3/4 where they're in the same continuity and there are a couple of cameos even though the main plot is unrelated.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

e: wow Naoya's voice actor really has no idea how to emote at all.

I choose to believe that Naoya himself has no idea how to emote at all.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Re: Devil Survivor; on the original version if you were to start a fresh new game, rather than NG+, would it erase all progress you've made with like complete endings for the title screen and such? I could do an NG+ sure, but (aside from, y'know, Lucifer) it's just way too easy and just feels more like I'm going through the motions again, moreso than anything else. At least when playing from scratch again there's a possible chance I could gently caress up and die at some point. Even if it's only on Day 6 or 7.

You could always just limit yourself to demons that are your character's level, although you'd still have the 5 base movement and no EXP falloff.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Killbot posted:

Yeah, Midori was terrible, period.

But Black Frost is the best so it all balances out.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

MelvinTheJerk posted:

I'm playing overclocked right now and I'm at a battle that I don't remember being this hard before.

Day 6 at noon, Gin actively tries to get himself killed by running headlong into battle like he's attached via a series of magnets.

I'm going to try this another couple of times, but if I don't pass it soon I'm going to put this game down for a while. His AI is just so stupid.

Maybe they made him weaker for OC? I remember that fight being really easy in the original because he just kicked everybody's rear end.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

tooooooo bad posted:

Well he's on the character select so maybe he got better.

I guess Aegis and Elizabeth worked faster than they expected to.

The simple fact that they're making a Persona fighting game of all things is hilarious to me. I'd probably play it anyway though.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

I'm unironically happy that the anime seems to be continuing the original's legacy of J-pop battle themes.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Balk posted:

Gotta love the Fortune crew in that image - so hilariously awkward. And who's that standing behind the P3/P4 protagonists?

It's the IS protagonist, isn't it?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Rinkles posted:

GOLDEN EDITION PERSONA 4?

Technically, this is still on the table :v:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Zandyne (or Wind Dance might do more ultimately I think)+Force Boost is good on a magic MC, too, since a number of the last-day bosses have a force weakness.

You can swap Atsuro out for Kaido, since IIRC he has more strength, and Black Frost has a nice set of resistances if you put resist/null/reflect force on him (plus he gets the best lines). Also, reflect phys is good to have on your physical guy since it's the only way to make sure deathbound+pierce won't gently caress you over on the phys-reflecting enemies.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Industrial posted:

What is the point of power/magic charge in these games? You take 1 turn to charge then do double damage next turn, so isn't the damage output the same as if you just attacked twice?

Doesn't it actually do a little more than double damage?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

setafd posted:

How is Soul Hackers for the 3DS? I never played the PSX one so I don't know how it compares to the more recent SMT games I'm used to.

I actually just picked it up earlier today. I'm enjoying it so far (about four hours in) but you can definitely feel the age-- it's got a lot of the little UI niggles you expect from a game of its vintage, the prerendered video sequences are all PSX as hell, and there's kind of a weird retro-futurist "oh right, this is what computers looked like back in the 90s" vibe to the whole thing. There's also a mechanic where your Macca magnetite constantly drains while you're walking around, which threw me off at first and pretty much immediately triggered my "oh god everything I do is on a timer :supaburn:" instincts, but as it turns out it's actually not that hard to keep yourself in the green so long as you actually fight some of the random encounters instead of just negotiating them all away.

As far as I can tell the only real additions to the 3DS version are this weird menu you open up by tapping the bottom screen that lets you "hack" the game by changing some gameplay settings (things like having your maps and demon analyses automatically filled out without having to work for them) and some virtual pet SpotPass thing that lets you get extra demons I guess? They both seem pretty tacked-on and superfluous but the core game probably doesn't need any weird 3DS features shoehorned in anyway.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

The Compendium is new, and it has a pretty big impact on gameplay.

Oh, I didn't realize that was a new addition. Yeah that definitely changes things a fair bit.

e: vvvv I got my fictional demon currencies with M names mixed up :downs:

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 28, 2013