Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Good concepts, terrible gameplay. Hands-down the worst game to play in the series WITH THE EXCEPTION of the MSX Megami Tensei title.

Worst Shin Megami Tensei by far though.

Worst than Demikids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Plotwise they were different but scenario-wise they had a lot of overlap.

That's every SMT game, though.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Thank you. Does the intelligence stat do anything important or can it be avoided as well?

I think it affects how easy it is to negotiate with demons. At least, it did in the older games that had intelligence so I imagine it still does here.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Trumpeter is easy to get and packs Debilitate.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

subhelios posted:

Nocturne as well, to an extent.
Victory cry on everything!

Victory Cry has never been unique as far as I know. Nocturne did have unique skills; notably Fiend skills like Andalucia or Pestilence Blade.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I think Hell Biker and White Rider are also mandatory.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I find it funny playing Nocturne now, how when I was going through the SMT4 DLC and saw the demon that had a skill that could just make more press turns I thought it was really unique and impressive. Little did I know that like every boss in Nocturne can do it! It gets a little silly then they have just one turn and use the skill to get two. Why not just start him with two turns instead of going through those extra steps?

Because the press turn granting skills only give half press turns so a boss isn't gaining extra actions for exploiting weaknesses and critting.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Stella Deus is the developers of Hoshigami taking criticism of that game too far and making a game that sucks by being far too easy, as opposed to Hoshigami's absurd levels of gently caress you difficulty.

That's a shame. Is it at least mechanically interesting? Hoshigami had some interesting, if completely unexplained, mechanics.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Healbot posted:

Yakuza is a niche as gently caress game in other markets, so that's understandable, while developing games for a handheld that flourished in Japan is par for the course and the PS3 continues to do comparatively terrible in its homeland.

Also it's not like a ton of people bought the first Valkyria Chronicles. A big part of Sega even making VC2 was the success of the VC anime.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Mustach posted:

I hope they follow P4G and have two regular battle themes.

I hope they follow Nocturne and have 8 different regular battle themes.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Genpei Turtle posted:

So basically Shin Megami Tensei If? :v:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you probably won't have to run in circles for several real time hours in order to progress.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

Technically there's already a gay link: Aigis in P3P's female main character route.

Elizabeth's too, though it's technically not a Social Link it's structured and written in a similar way to one.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Leper Colon V posted:

Well, poo poo. Alright, guess I'll come back in 5-10 levels and hope the plot hasn't nuked the place by then.

You can always return to the Mantra base so don't worry about that. The Magatama isn't really useful until you can learn the skills starting at level 61 anyway.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I know in the original Persona 4 it was possible to get Victory Cry as early as the early 30's by skill mutating Tetrakarn. Was that still possible in Golden?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Even one demon with Pierce would have cut that down to 30-45 minutes.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

And pick up Iron Stomach ASAP so you can eat to your heart's content.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Evasion is pretty useless when you can just buff offense and nuke most bosses down in 2-3 turns instead.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Freak Futanari posted:

Hitler (though, strictly speaking, he did nothing wrong)

I'm just going to quote this bit out of context because it's pretty funny.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I would only want Dante in a Persona game if it was new Dante. He would completely fit in with the Persona cast.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

Nah, I mean that the Charge skill being useless in SJ is just one example of how poorly-balanced that game is. The way damage is calculated in SJ makes it basically impossible to deal damage to Mem Aleph without stuff like Jihad and Desperate Hit. An Amped, Concentrated -dyne from a ~L75 demon will do like 300 damage and she has 16,000 health (iirc). They managed to do a much better job with balancing damage and allowing the game to be beatable without grinding back in Nocturne and DDS, and those games came out years before SJ did.

Reminder that the final boss of one of the endings in Nocturne had 75% resistance to everything, including Almighty, and 65k HP. If you don't have at least one demon with Pierce have fun dealing 500ish damage per hit maximum with a Charged crit.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

You didn't have to grind to max level to get Pierce in Nocturne, though. It was given to you on your starter Magatama after you got locked onto the path with that fight. Strange Journey doesn't have a skill like Pierce, it's just that the final boss has stupid high defense and only a few attacks (most of which are gated on level 80+ demons) will do more than scratch her. She doesn't even have any elemental resists aside from Null Gun and the usual Expel/Curse, so I assume it's just the damage formula being dumb.

Strange Journey owns but it does a few things differently from basically every other SMT game (see also: phys skills costing MP) for basically no reason and it does not make the game any better.

So it's ok if a boss basically requires a certain rare skill (only available for the PC, who might not have good strength, and a Grimhekala you can buy in the 5th Kalpa) if it isn't level gated? Good to know.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Considering that a critical focused Freikugel can hit the boss for a sixth his HP... you don't need anybody but the MC for damage.

Assuming you knew ahead of time to make a physical MC. Magic is not just viable but fantastic against the entire rest of the game and building an MC that can better interact with the shiny new Press Turn system is entirely understandable. Lucifer is a terribly designed boss.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

I thought Magma Axis counted as physical fire, so a physical DF wanted it?

Damage is based on magic it just costs HP instead of MP. The only strength based non-physical attacks are Freikugal and Surt's regular attack.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

i think they decided it wasn't because it was bad

By that logic SMT4 wouldn't be a mainline game, too.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The only PS2 era SMT where physical wasn't at least on par with magic was Persona 3, really, and even in that Vorpal Blade was really good.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

SMT4 is just in general not a great game.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't like how every boss past Medusa goes down in 2 or 3 turns. That's my main complaint with SMT4.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

At the end of the day, Chie still has the second highest damage output in the game so you might as well use both her and Kanji. Yukiko might do slightly more damage with two amps (one from the skill and one from an accessory) but it's pretty close.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm not a big fan of Yosuke mechanically. He has sort of passable damage between Boosted and Amped Garu and Brave Blade but definitely nothing to write home about. He's fast, but agility only effects turn order if you fail to get an advantage against regular enemies (against bosses it always uses MC/Slot1/Slot2/Slot3/Boss as the turn order iirc) which barely ever happens. Sukukaja is the worst buff since you don't really miss much in P4 and unlike Press Turn games misses don't deprive enemies of extra actions so it's basically a less reliable Rakukaja. Single target healing is kind of bad past the early game, especially since he never gets Diarahan. All he's really got that's unique to him is Dekaja, which is niche but useful occasionally, and Tentarafoo, which is terrible. Of course, the game is so easy that your choice of party members doesn't really matter but Yosuke is definitely the second worse character in P4 after Naoto.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Holy Dance doesn't have an agility prerequisite, but a strength one, which is why I don't think it's worth the effort for the MC in Overclocked. The fact that even the final day bosses have elemental weaknesses means that, with a bit of prep, you'll get much more damage out of exploiting them with the relevant Amp passive. You get magic-oriented characters who waste points in strength, you might as well give the (not Drain) Almighty stuff to them.

It requires only 8 Strength and you start at 4. It doesn't require much investment at all. You're probably going to want 8 Strength for Blitzkrieg anyway, since that's the best Auto Skill until the 7th day. Amped and Boosted elemental dances will do more damage but Holy Dance is way more skill slot efficient and that's valuable when facing varied groups of enemies.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Moltrey posted:

Better hope they bring back being able to use the bathroom at school and feel GREAT

Polnarref finds only tragedy in bathrooms.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Moltrey posted:

Persona 1 and 2 also have Earth, which I believe haven't been seen since.

Earth is in the Digital Devil Saga games.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

All megaten games made before nocturne are bad

Likewise all SMT games made after Nocturne are bad.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Finally we get a 900 year old fantasy creature that only looks like a 9 year old in an SMT game!

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Asura's Wrath was a pretty decent shonen show.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Excels posted:

i linked that in a private chatroom with no connection to SA and a bunch of people had already seen it, which kinda surprised me

I think someone at Giant Bomb retweeted it or something like that back when it was first made.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Do I miss anything important if I skip Soulless Army and just play King Abaddon? All I ever hear is people saying the second game is really good but the first was kind of mediocre.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The Machine posted:

Persona Q or Soul Hackers?

Nocturne.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Radish posted:

Jungo is the only DS2 waifu I will support.

No bestiality in the megaten thread, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Status effects in press turn games are kind of bad. There are the occasional enemies that are only weak to status effects and have enough HP that they can't just be nuked down in a single turn but most of the time you're better off just killing things.