Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
E takes you back to the days of SNES when you were playing Simon's Quest and had to write poo poo down to properly remember it. Although the internet exists now so it's not as irritating if you use a guide and save yourself the hours of frustration.

EDIT: E killed my interest but I was still a big MegaTen fan when the game came out and felt obligated to complete it, then I got to H looked at the map online and the last boss and I immediately thought "NOPE." and just looked at the other endings.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Really what pissed me most off about E is how it was the first dungeon stage in the game with good music and a nice background for once and I thought to myself upon entering it "Alright then, this might be good. Looks like Atlus understood that their dungeons being generic really wasn't helping them and decided to make this."

I'll give it one thing, Sector E certainly was not generic.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nocturne's a game that's good at making you feel stupid about how you fight some bosses. The first time I fought Thor, that bastard wiped my team out because I tried to play physical attacks against him with my team and I got my rear end soundly kicked and Trumpteter I didn't realize blew his horn in set intervals until I died several times and that he actually has specifics for who gets healed and dies when it's blown.

I remember DDS being a bit more challenging in the "Random Luck" department especially with the secret boss who is loving ridiculous even with max stats and the best mantras. I also love DDS' story and gameplay more than Nocturne's but that's an entirely different subject.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That just shows I need to play the games again. I have them and I they are among my favorite Atlus games, so I should do that soon.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is Yuzu in Devil Survivor 2?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pureauthor posted:

Unless all the character art has been lying to us, no. Plenty of other females with enormous chests, though.

Didn't see any of the character art for DS2 so that's why I asked. I need to go check them out. Sucks though, Yuzu was one of my favorite characters from Devil Survivor.

EDIT

Didn't I already beat this guy in the first game?

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 16, 2011

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Grand Gigas posted:

I don't really think you can simplify Naoya to that degree. He's not so much an over-petulant manchild as the direct result of the hubris of YHWH, who in the Megaten games is a prick who hungers for as much belief and power as he can get. And for that matter, I don't think you could consider the LAW path good at all in this game, since the bastards are kind of responsible for the whole situation to begin with, pulling the strings and trying to make the world in their own image.

The problem with that however is YHWH in Devil Survivor isn't as much of a prick as he is in the other games. In Devil Survivor it is heavily implied that he didn't want to to do the trial but the angels convinced him into doing it because they're the assholes in this scenario. Naoya is every bit as much of a little poo poo as it was stated and the fact that he killed you in a previous life should only give you more incentive to say "gently caress you" when he asks you to join him.

My first ending was the Neutral ending because joining heaven or hell in one of these games is like picking which stupid way you wish to screw over humanity.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The voice acting seems alright but not necessarily what I thought of in my head. Also is that Stephanie Sheh as Yuzu? It sounds like her.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So wait, what about that link says P4 Rerelease on PSVita?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well I figured it was P4 related but thank you for confirming "rerelase on the Vita" was a rumor, I thought I had missed some confirmation in between all of this.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

JRPGs have horrible trophies it'll probably involve having a perfect playthrough, getting every character to 99, getting every persona, beating the grindy secret bosses, beating the game separately on each difficulty and having your play clock max out

I bet you weren't too big of a fan of 15,000,000 HP secret boss in FFXIII, eh? What a wuss, the true pros can take bullshit trophies like "Do the Land of Carnage without losing any of your units and beating every level 9999 enemy with only a plastic ladel".

But seriously, gently caress JRPG trophies. Trophies work for stuff like adventure, action, fighting games, etc. because they're all set within realistic boundaries that don't make the game a chore, I have not had this experience with any RPG yet.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well, I'm about to finish the 8th day and I have to say. It's loving awesome. It even seems like theres two different ways it can go, even within the same scenario.

Heres a spoilerific synopsis for those who aren't going to pick it up but are still curiousIn Naoya's path, the angels in a last ditch effort turn all the humans in the lockdown against you promising their freedom. And you have the choice of turning humanity against the angels, or crushing everyone in your path. and based on all the stuff that happened otherwise it seems like if I would have done the "nice guy" route, the whole day would have gone differently. Since this had me just crushing every pocket of resistance, and ended with Yuzu and Midori assaulting the MC and summoning fuckin METATRON to crush me. He even gets his own battle music which is pretty loving good (and I wasn't really a fan of the OST)

TO people on the fence: I'd honestly say it's worth it just based on this alone, but then again I got my copy for free due to a giftcard, so theres no buyers remorse. :v:

Have I mentioned that Yuzu was one of my favorite characters? Because jesus loving christ, she just made my top 10 favorite Atlus game characters.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Okay, so I listened to some voice clips on the US Website for Overclocked and I'm trying to make out who some of the VAs are as this is another one of Atlus' games that doesn't list its VAs.

Atsuro - Spike Spencer
Yuzu - Melissa Fahn
Naoya - I'm almost certain it's Kyle Hebert.
Keisuke - I have no earthly idea.
Haru - I recognize this one but I can't remember her name.
Gin - No clue.
Amane - Laura Bailey? Why are you in everything?
Mari - I'm hearing Stephanie Sheh.
Tadashi - Travis Willingham.
Midori - Michelle Ruff? Why are you voicing this character so awkwardly?
Izuna - Karen Strassman
Fushimi - Patrick Seitz

So yeah, this is the best I've done so far in recognizing voices.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
She has no character typecast, really. I've heard her casted as tomboys, little boys, nice girls, stoic girls, happy girls, Rukia from Bleach and so on.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Len posted:

At least there hasn't been a Dawn of War 2 style moment with him. Nothing like Steven J Blum and Steven J Blum joining forces to fight Steven J Blum.

Son please tell me you are not hating on Steven Jay Blum and praising Yuri Lowenthal in the same sentence? Because that's just dumb and horribly wrong.

Justice posted:

The English voice acting world doesn't exactly have a plethora of talent, so we tend to see certain people recycled again and again and again. And again and again.

And again.

I hate you, Yuri Lowenthal :argh:

I feel you.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZeeToo posted:

Is it bad that I was very surprised not to see him in Baalster's list? :shobon:

Oh I'm sure he's in the game somewhere. That list was just from characters that I got a hear from on the site and the Eighth Day trailer, he's gotta be in it somewhere because he just has to be shoehorned into one of these roles somewhere.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Policenaut posted:

ARC SYSTEM WORKS MAKING PERSONA 4 FIGHTING GAME

2D fighting games published by Arc System Works and Atlas.
The arcade version is running in the spring of 2012, will be released in the summer of 2012 Xbox360 and PS3.

- "Persona 4" story describing the incident that occurred two months after the
 bear → sponsored (?) to "P-1 Grand Prix" will appear in a wrestling program
development • "Bray Blue Team"
- "4" In addition to "3" character from the race
known characters • Current
 hunger Yu (Izanagi) Chie Satonaka / (Tomoe) /
 Yosuke Hanamura (Jiraiya) / Aegis (Athena) / current development of the next title numbering preparation for completion. Mr. Katsura Hashino director, character designer Chengji Mr. Soejima, main composer in charge of Mr. Shoji Meguro.

Unless this game ends up being like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure then it will be terrible. That is the only proper way to make this game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

FINALmasa posted:

Also, I'm pretty sure a licensed fighting game is doomed to failure. Has there been a good one that doesn't involve Marvel?

Def Jam: Fight for NY

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TurnipFritter posted:

Looks like it's not point and click this time.

Dammit. At least I can warp to the other areas no matter where I am.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh and if Adachi, Naoto or Shinjiro are not in the game then gently caress it. As hype as Chie makes me I need more than one character to play as to have fun otherwise it is not worth it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pureauthor posted:

Do you honestly believe they are going to leave out Naoto? She's a PC.

Yes. You may not have noticed but my opinion of the Atlus overseers is not a high one.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Technique posted:

Like i said: sailor fuku DLC. OF COURSE they'll include Naoto.

And for just 600 MSP more you'll get Chie and Yukiko's bikinis.

Who is actually going to buy those costumes?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why do you ask questions you already know the answer to?

Denial is something I am very familiar with.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Snot Man posted:

I imagine everybody will look the exact same right down to wearing their usual clothes. That one fragment of a screenshot we have so far seems to confirm this.

I would not be shocked but usual anime aging shows that the characters will either gain bigger breasts or look even more girly, so look out for Naoto to be in a dress.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pureauthor posted:

We were discussing sailor fuku DLC five minutes ago.

Well excuse me, sir.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why is that girl wearing Naoto's hat?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dragonatrix posted:

At this point it's pretty obvious that after P4P the next thing Atlus is gonna do is remake Eternal Punishment. I just hope they don't do that and actually make either P5, Raidou 3 or SMT5 instead of remaking poo poo again and again and again.

But if they must remake something, Soul Hackers is a drat good candidate. I'd be more interested in that than pretty much anything else they could remake at this point.

I would kill for a Raidou 3 right now, honestly.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No, I don't want Marilyn Monroe Kanji to even be an option, the mere thought horrifies me.

I'm just kidding, if it has really good armor I'll use it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I see popped collar so it's most likely Kanji.

EDIT: I completely forgot the game is set two years later. Who said they'd have the exact same costumes as before?

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 31, 2011

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh hey, I just took another look at the character select and there's a priestess character... and considering that Fuuka was a support character that can only mean it's Yukiko.

What a shock.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
EDIT: Okay, so there's no Naoto or Adachi, so I'm pretty much left with my hopes for Shinjiro unless they decide to add some characters to the console versions.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cityinthesea posted:

for the non fighting game players, what exactly does that entail? Sorry if I'm being dumb but I haven't played a fighting game since like MK: Deception.

It basically means you well get 20 hours of visual novel style cutscenes before you are done with it all.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Twisted Paradox posted:

Are you sure it's even Kanji? I can't even make out a face of the Emperor icon. Could be Akihiko. Also it's weird that Aigis is fool when she's shown with her starting persona in the scans.

Does Akihiko have a popped collar?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Twisted Paradox posted:

The hair seems to match Akihiko's and I really don't see a collar there. I really want Kanji to be in though.

It's Kanji, the popped collar and intense face pretty much confirm that. Aki's always in a vest and is usually very reserved.

Policenaut posted:

Akihiko would fit in a brawler/boxer style fighter that these games typically have.

Gotta think about this in fighting game archetypes.

Who is saying that Akihiko is not in the game? I'm saying that's Kanji's picture. There are now five Persona 4 characters and only 1 Persona 3 character, I'm sure Akihiko has as much potential to be in this game as Yukari and Junpei.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really don't care for the fighting game because I don't like Blazblue nor am I a big fan of Persona 3 or 4. I'd only consider buying it if a few of the characters I really liked from P3 or 4 (Yukari, Junpei, Shinjiro, Naoto, Adachi and maybe Akihiko) managed to make it in. Otherwise I'm really more interested in the P4 Portable version and even then I'd like news of a new video game being developed by Atlus and not just remakes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My fan request is remove Nanako from the game and put Adachi in her place.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why in the hell would Atlus add in Aegis to Persona 4? There would be like no place for her at all for a cameo.

I know full and well they are probably going to do this and it is going to be even more stupid than Yukiko showing up in P3P, just let me live in denial a little longer because I loved Catherine so much.

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

I'm not exactly keen on the series dipping into previous incarnations for guest spots, but is Aigis generally reviled or something? I mean, she's about as "anime" as the series has allowed itself to get, but I still found her to have a decent story arc and character development.

Aigis is the most popular Persona 3 character for some reason, so of course she's not reviled. But she's every robot trope packed into one and due to that she is quite boring and trust me and no, Aigis is not the most anime this series has gotten but she is pretty drat close, it's still hard to top the awful cultural fest from P4 for most anime the series has gotten. It also doesn't help that her fanbase is loving nuts and Atlus thought it would be a good idea to add sexual innuendo to her.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 1, 2011

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also, isn't the fighting game supposed to be within Persona canon? Since the Persona team is working very closely with ArcSys, I don't see Shinjiro making it into the game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

Shinjiro can survive in the female MC version of Persona 3 PSP. That's pretty much all the excuse they would need if they make any references to the P3 main character gender-neutral.

But he's also still doomed to death because of the drugs. So unless those drugs take forever to kill someone then he's probably already either dead or on the verge of death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The Persona 4 story proves that the Persona team just makes crap up as they go along, it was already apparent in P3 but not nearly as bad as it was in P4.