Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I just wanted to double check, in devil survivor 2 at the very start when you pick your navigator for the website, it's a purely aesthetic thing right? I'm not going to be missing out on certain demons or fusions because I didn't use the awful bunny girl.

edit: This game's been out in japan for a bit right, is there a site out there yet with a list of skills and the stats that will be required to use certain skills? I found it really helpfull with devil survivor 1 knowing "even if I'm building a caster, I'll need this much strength for some of the higher level spells"

VV Glad to hear it, thanks.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

So at the end of day 2 in devil survivor 2, Keita joined my party, and he ended up doing all the work on the final boss of the day, including getting the last hit. I know it's pretty minor, but I was irritated that I let him soak up all that exp and then immediately leave the party, when I could have used that exp on someone who was sticking around.

I was wondering if that kind of thing happens a lot? I'm sitting here on day 3 now and concerned that if I let Airi get too much of the experience, the same thing will happen again.

Edit:

VV Awesome, thanks.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 1, 2012

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I beat the final boss of day 3. I'm pretty sure you were only supposed to be able to hurt him when he splits, but the npc helping me out in the battle killed him when he was in his damage immune mode. Was kind of funny. I totally would have lost my first attempt and had to try again if the npc helper hadn't been cheating.

Do Watchful and Vigilant stack?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Momomo posted:

So I'm on day 2 of Devil Survivor 2, is going as a Physical MC viable? People said avoid it like the plague in the first one, but I did it there too and didn't have very much trouble. Right now, it seems really good that I can one-shot some of the weaker demons, but will this come back to bite me?

A big difference between ds1 and 2, is that you get a lot of npc's who build like a player would. Like, characters who have all into magic and barely anything into the other tree's.
It's less crucial your mc be a super magic bomb because you have other options for that anyway.

I think the one big thing about choosing what your MC will be is that only the MC can crack 3 or 4 skills off of one boss (The fate system lets you do that at rank 2 with party members), and generally magic dance skills are better at burning down a boss than physical skills. That will matter less once you get pierce though.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

A while ago I noticed Airi get's 2 elemental strengths at rank 1 Fate, and so I've been using her as a super tank party that can distract tougher groups of enemies. I gave her resistance to the other 3 types of damage as passives, and gave her the hustle auto (increased evasion/hit).

I like this idea in concept, but often I'm losing her demons and having her sitting there, still hard to kill, but not really doing damage in return all on her own. Are there any any good durable demons at around my point in the game (end of day 5), who I could use to make this super tank party work out? I don't really care if they're not significantly damaging.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

There are some uploaded snippets in 1080p where you can better see how it looks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9DgvTk1P8c

It looks like Naoto combo's into her Instant kill in that video.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

OneDeadman posted:

That isn't her specific instant kill move though.

Naoto's gimmick is that opponents have skulls that she reduces somehow(someone who has been reading the thread can probably explain exactly how) and if she uses Mudo on an opponent who has no skulls it's an instant kill.

That's reassuring to hear. I haven't really been following the game at all so I was unaware of Naoto's gimmick.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I've played Persona 3/4, Devil Survivor 1/2, and Strange Journey.
I also played the first Persona a little but hated it.

All this Persona 4 Arena I've been playing has gotten me eager to play another SMT game. I was looking at playing one of the ps2 games I haven't played. I know Raidou plays differently as it's own unique thing, so do people generally recommend I play Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga? Both in terms of Gameplay and Story.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I agree with the p1 hate, everything about that game felt like the least satisfying experience I've ever had in an rpg game.
Even just the core mechanics of the combat system, just positioning people and worrying about what squares they can attack in regards to their position, all felt like a chore to me instead of strategy. It was work to play. I didn't find the story engaging either.

Still haven't played p2, I know it got rid of that awful grid system, and I should probably try the psp remake sometime.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

What's even better than new posts arguing about which persona game is better, are new posts talking about how there's a lot of new posts.

I remembered I never played the answer, so before moving onto probably trying DDS, I thought I might hop into the answer. This was a bad idea. Persona 3's dungeon design was always really bad because it was based on grinding out enough to beat the next boss, and then skipping several floors to get to the next boss, because there are way too many floors filled with the exact same enemies that go on for eternity.
Boiling an entire game down to JUST persona 3 dungeons is too much, I say this as someone who really enjoyed Strange Journey, so it's not like I auto hate dungeon crawling.

Also why on earth would they take away your compendium? I really think that change alone is enough for me to forget this game because I can't be bothered to fuse under these conditions.

On the plus side, Aigis' run animation is stupid in the best way possible. Sometimes I just run in a circle for a couple laps.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 23, 2012

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Catalina posted:

Funnily enough, I played through Persona 4 and Persona 3 around the same time, and back then I found Persona 3's one dungeon to be much more tolerable than the variable dungeons in Persona 4.

I always Perfered persona 4's "Beat this dungeon before a bunch of rainy days in a row" to the "Hey, there will be a big boss fight on the full moon, be strong enough". They were both a little ambiguous I guess, but I preferred semi ambiguous deadline to ambiguous required levels of strength. Persona 4's ambiguity left you with a full week's warning too so it wasn't too ambiguous.

Granted it always turned out that as long as you could get as far as the dungeon would let you, you'd be ready for the full moon fight, but it still always left me feeling really concerned that I would have to reload an earlier save file and grind more.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

vanov posted:

First, I don't understand how I'm the only one who would go through Tartarus in one or two nights at a time, by the time you get to the gated section for each month you should be ready to fight the full moon boss for that month without too much effort. Yawn-B-Gones exist and are the most useful item in the game until you stop getting tired. Also the fact that Tartarus doesn't cut into your daytime Social Links l

Dungeons in persona 4 are the same way though. You can beat every dungeon in persona 4 in a couple days, only going on rainy days too, which means its not really cutting into social links (how many social links can you do during day time on a rainy day in persona 3? The Drama club social link is the only one I know for sure)
The primary difference between persona 3 and 4 dungeons is that in persona 4 there are only as many floors as you need, fully explore every floor and fight the enemies, and you'll be strong enough for the boss. (with the exception of maybe the yukiko fight, I personally had to grind a tiny bit for that one) Even if you do have to grind, you don't have to go through a dozen extra floors, you just go back to the last one and grind.
In persona 3 the dungeons are WAY LONGER than they need to be, which lead to me skipping entire floors, just running past everything and tagging the stairs. It felt unnecessary, I would have much preferred if in persona 3 there was many less floors, but you had to fully explore every floor to be strong enough.

quote:

Third, the best JRPG ever is The World Ends With You :colbert:

Hard to dispute a fact like that.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

My roommate who never played a persona game, only heard me playing in the background, recognized it was Adachi the first line of dialogue he spoke. Not by name, but you know, "Isn't that the same voice as that other guy who..."

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Just started playing persona 4 golden and was wondering about changes. Obviously I'll notice the big things like new character, the extra events and stuff like that, but I was wondering what about the smaller changes someone might not notice if they hadn't played persona 4 in years.
At the start of the game, after the gas station you get to walk around the store area and see a little dialogue scene between Saki and her brother. Are there other new tiny scenes like that scattered in the game? I'm also curious if they rebalanced the party members at all, but I'm not sure I'd notice if they did.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

A lot of those minor changes you mention sound nice, multiple times to buy from tanaka, seeing how long is left in a book.

Chexoid posted:

In terms of re-balancing characters, the game gets ridiculously easy after a point. Like, Rise will show up sometimes and mind charge the whole party , among other things, multiple times per fight. Naoto is also a ridiculous killing machine.

Persona 4 already kind of peaked in difficulty with like, the shadow Yukiko fight near the start. Maybe I should start again on higher difficulty if it's going to be even easier than the original.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

In persona 4 golden I'm on 6/28 and I can still not find the girl to talk to to start Kanji's social link. All googling suggests she should be on one of the second floors, on a non rainy Tuesday Thursday or Saturday. She does not exist. What the hell am I doing wrong.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

^^ I forgot it didn't start automatically like Yosuke, Yukiko and Chie's did. (

MrAristocrates posted:

Try tomorrow.

This was it after all. The internet lied and said it was Tuesday when it's actually Wednesday.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Can you do that achievement over multiple playthroughs? Like if in one playthrough you hear all the lines relating to yukiko/chie/kanji, and in the next playthrough all the lines relating to yosuke/teddie/naoto?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

It's way too late into my playthrough to be asking this, but I can't remember: Is there any benefit to commiting to spend the day with a social link when they come up to you at lunch and ask, do you get extra points?

Edit: thanks.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 31, 2015

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

It's November 25th and I'm only 1 rank into the Death arcana, I put it off forgetting how it works. Are there 9 sunday/holiday days left in the game?

"Time to bust out my steak powers!" Atlus has no clue how to write the p4 cast anymore other than reference one notable thing from the original game again and again.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I think I'm never going to catch this loving beetle for rank 10 fox.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

Are you doing it at night? That tripped me up when I played.

I've been doing it at day. Should I be doing it at night? I'm still trying to catch the first beetle, the Inaba Jewel one.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

In Golden you still do that social link goodbye scene all the way at the very end in march, like the original game right? This scene where I go around wishing happy new year to all my slinks is a little weird. It's like a super short and almost pointless version of the same thing I'll be doing later.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Okay I've got this stupid Jewel Beetle now. Is there anything else I need to know? The guide looked at for this quest neglected to mention I needed to catch at night to get the jewel beetle, so it might be missing other info. It says I can only catch the river guardian when it is raining or snowing, but does day/night matter for this one?

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I have an ippon-detera with sukukaja and Margaret won't say anything about it when I try and advance her social link. I haven't been doing it all game because of this, but now that I'm finally at the end and looking to grind it out, it's a problem. Googling this problem gives no help as it only turns up people wondering how to do the fusions.

LibbyM fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Aug 1, 2015

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Yah I didn't exit and re-enter. I forgot it was that clunky. Thanks.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Failed to max Tower social link because I agreed to study with nanako, knowing I had enough days left to complete it. Forgetting that before rank 9 you have to waste one night being told to gently caress off. Oops.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

The gimick of Marie's dungeon seems to fall kind of flat. Like, the idea is that you have to be really careful about sp use and management and all that. In actuality though no one ever needs to cast more than one spell every battle, and they gain the sp for that spell at the start of every turn. My Ishtar mc usually kills every battle with an 11sp maziodyne right at the start.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Doflamingo posted:

Is Golden worth buying a Vita for? Starting to toy with the idea since I love P4 so much.

If you are a ps+ user and have been claiming all the free games as they come out (which there's no reason not to do just in case), you'll already have a very large library of cool vita games to try in addition to Golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

How much planning needs to go into a NG+ Persona 4 golden playthrough if you want to max all the social links. Is just having all the social stats, being able to 1 day complete all the dungeons, and having basic knowledge (Like wait until rainy days to enter the dungeon and hang out with yumi or the fox) enough to do it pretty casually without following a guide to make sure you get all the dialogue correct and stuff?