Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you're going to use spoiler tags, be a bit more judicious. Why spoiler tag the identity of the killer, but not Izanami?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

LibbyM posted:

I always Perfered persona 4's "Beat this dungeon before a bunch of rainy days in a row" to the "Hey, there will be a big boss fight on the full moon, be strong enough". They were both a little ambiguous I guess, but I preferred semi ambiguous deadline to ambiguous required levels of strength. Persona 4's ambiguity left you with a full week's warning too so it wasn't too ambiguous.

Granted it always turned out that as long as you could get as far as the dungeon would let you, you'd be ready for the full moon fight, but it still always left me feeling really concerned that I would have to reload an earlier save file and grind more.

Well, that and Persona 4 didn't remove specific party members for certain days of grinding and even boss fights.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Spiffo posted:

He never tried to sabotage your efforts at all

What? At the very least, he created a scenario in which Rise could easily be kidnapped by targeting the stalker.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Pureauthor posted:

If it's not an artbook or an OST, they can get bent.

It's a shame, because I've heard some of the new music, and it's really, really good.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dehry posted:

Re: P4 Help

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Unfortunately the things I need are the soul items. Maybe I'll get them eventually.

Out of curiosity, what's your party? I used Kanji until the end of the game and despite his terrible SP pool, I rarely had problems.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dr Pepper posted:

Kanji should really only be using his spells for knockdowns, so his low SP isn't really a downside against bosses.

Yeah, there's really no reason to use his spells (other than buffs, I guess) when you can use Primal Force.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dr Pepper posted:

It's actually a little weird because he has the skillset of an all rounder character but his stats just don't support it.

And he's still arguably the most useful character in the game (Besides Teddie, I suppose).

Nate RFB posted:

Didn't The Golden add Power Charge to his arsenal? That would go a long way IMO to make Kanji more viable.

Oh poo poo. There goes the only reason to ever use Chie. Tarukaja + Power Charge + Primal Force would probably deal over 1800 damage, right?

Arist fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 6, 2012

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Momomo posted:

I used Yukiko since she seemed the last awful of everyone else. It was really hard to make a full team in that game.

Teddie outclasses Yukiko pretty qucikly thanks to his diversity. Everyone is viable, though (except Naoto). Also, Salvation costs way too much SP to use every turn (as opposed to just Mediarahn).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

King of Solomon posted:

Yukiko has such a massive SP pool that Salvation's cost really just doesn't matter.

It did for one of my final boss runs, when I nearly ran out because I was healing every turn. :v:

Anyway, Teddie can do pretty much anything you want him to do. I usually stop using Yukiko as a main team member after Kanji joins (I use my own Persona to heal until Teddie joins).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Not to mention Yukiko hits like a loving truck with her fire spells even without the boost and amp. She's up there with Yosuke as being one of the best teammates in the game. Also, if Salvation's cost is bugging you that much, then just don't get rid of it, it's not like it immediately transforms, they give you the option of getting rid of mediarahan or not.

It was never an actual problem since I had a bunch of Somas by that point anyway. I just never saw Yukiko as that useful. Teddie's buffs and ability to cure statuses were much more useful to me in a healer than pure damage output (especially because I had Kanji and maybe Chie on the team, so I was dealing about 3000 damage every 2-3 turns).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The problem with Teddie is that his weakness never disappears, so it creates a giant hole in the team's defense. Not even that, it's not like Teddie puts outs great damage or has a fantastic SP pool, sure he has some good skills, but it will become apparent very quickly that having two good buffs is not enough to compensate for both of those things, especially not enough to say something like he outclasses her. This is not even bringing up how Teddie takes quite a bit of damage even in late game with good armor and how his HP is not fantastic either. They give Teddie some useful things, but it's completely undermind by him having quite a good amount of drawbacks, the most glaring being his weakness not vanishing ever. Yukiko's high natural damage output with fire spells, great SP pool, and being a dedicated healer all put her up there as one of the essentials to have in the group, only being beaten by Yosuke who is basically the best teammate in the game. Her having buffs or debuffs is absolutely inconsequential to her overall performance.

I mean sure, you can say "SP doesn't matter because I can just use items" but that applies to the rule of "I can make up for the shortcomings of my character by X" in which case, it renders debating who is better than who pointless because you can just make up for their shortcomings by either having your main character cover that spot or by essentially using items to say "That didn't happen, NOPE." It's fine using who you like, but Yukiko is not outclassed by Teddie, if anything it's sort of the other way around.

First, weaknesses in Golden don't disappear. That won't be a problem. And I almost never had a serious problem with Teddie/Yukiko's weaknesses in the late game. For my runs, at least, buffs were critical (It's part of the reason I always kept Kanji around). I prefer Amrita to Salvation. I never needed great damage on Teddie's ice attacks.

And how did you get that I was reliant on items? I only use Somas if I'm in serious poo poo. I use maybe 2 or 3 maximum per playthrough.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dr Pepper posted:

Teddie's problem is that the game only gives him 8 skill slots.

• Marakukaja
  • Diarahan
  • Amrita
  • Mediarahan
  • Bufudyne
  • Mabufudyne
  • Ice Amp
  • Samarecarm

Never really had a problem there.

Edit: Though Dekunda is a tragic loss in this setup.

Arist fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 6, 2012

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nate RFB posted:

I used Teddie the first time through, and I kind of regretted it. It felt like a LOT of enemies and bosses used electrical attacks in the endgame. I feel like if you're going to have a dedicated healer/mage you might as well go with Yukiko who can dish out ridiculous damage and has a huge SP pool.

I don't play Teddie as a mage, though. I use his offensive skills mostly for knockdowns. To me at least, Teddie's skills make him a better pure healer than Yukiko.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Morpheus posted:

I'm not saying that Kanji is the best character in mechanics, I am saying that he is a tough guy who knits and hits things with a folding chair, and therefore he is the best character period.

Everyone should use Kanji. :colbert:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

W.T. Fits posted:

Kanji can't Dragon Kick Galactic Punt a Shadow's rear end to the Milky Way. :colbert:

Use both of them. :colbert:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

YggiDee posted:

It's been said before, but Kanji and Chie could really benefit from swapping movesets. Chie's actually fairly well-rounded stat-wise, but her ice skills top out at Bufula/Mabufu. And Kanji has Maziodyne and Matarukaja and Elec Amp but absolutely no goddamn SP. Either way, I played through enough to use everyone.

I'm pretty sure Chie actually has less SP than Kanji does by the endgame. :v:

It was still never a problem for me because Kanji mostly just cast Matarukaja and Primal Force. Power Charge in Golden will add a lot to that, though...

The GIG posted:

I used everyone and rotated them out after level ups. :smugbert:

I usually do this too. It doesn't actually take that long due to the way experience scales, but sometimes I'll skip it and just level up Kanji/Teddie/Chie if I just want to get through a playthrough since I know I'm just going to use that party anyway.

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 6, 2012

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Spiffo posted:

Chie Power Charge

Then Kanji Mataru

Break everything. Mataru will wear off on a charge turn.

You forgot using Rakunda. Everything is going to die. :allears:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DeathBySpoon posted:

So I'm doing a hard mode run on P3P and I've never actually taken the time to checl out the Monad. How do I unlock it and what does it get me, aside from a good place to grind? I'm currently level 45 in late October.

You have to defeat the Reaper after getting Elizabeth's quest and give her the Bloody Button it drops. Once down there, you can fight Elizabeth.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DeathBySpoon posted:

Is there any other quest I need to look out for to unlock that quest, or will it show up on its own? Kind of like how you only get the next "Bring me a Persona that knows X" quest when you've completed the previous one.

Nope. You'll get the request in January, by the way. Also, I'm an idiot, you can only fight Elizabeth in NG+. :hurr:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Catalina posted:

Speaking of which, look what I got in my email box today.
Oh, Atlus.

Hahaha, that's amazing.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 12, 2012

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DeathBySpoon posted:

Ok, yeah, sold. Between this and being able to choose what skills get passed down, the game is already improved enough for me to give it another go.

Yeah, that's pretty rad.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DeathBySpoon posted:

Ok, just a few new game + questions for P3P. Do any of these transfer over:

-Personas in my inventory
-Equipment in use during final battle
-Items like Somas or Beads

Just want to figure out how I should set things aside before finishing. Thanks!

Money definitely does, ignore the post above. Personas won't, but you'll be filthy rich by the end so it won't matter; just take them back out of the Compendium. All equipment stays in your inventory, but consumables do not. Kurosawa will sell all available equipment from the start. The protagonist keeps their level, though they are the only one. Personas unlocked from maxing out S.Links are still unlocked. Status levels carry over (get ready to play in the arcade every single night to max out your Persona's stats!).

It's worth noting that Persona 4 lets you keep only money, status levels, your Compendium, and S.Link Persona unlock status, in case you haven't played that one.

Edit: \/I can't put those on, I'm already wearing glasses! :saddowns:

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 16, 2012

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

King of Solomon posted:

It's equivalent to the worse emails you got at night in the first game, and hey, those sucked too.

I haven't played DeSu in a while, but I seem to remember those being impossible to read and making no sense. Am I off base?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

King of Solomon posted:

I wasn't talking about the garbled emails, I was talking about poo poo like Yuzu's nonsense typing style.

Oh, THAT. Yeah, those were terrible.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

^^^^^ I for one hope that all the Archangels get new designs in IV. The old 'Crayola People + Wings' were both disappointing and boring especially compared to the other angels. (Seraph and Cherub in Strange Journey are so loving cool)

It's why I'm getting one. I mean, other games for the vita have to come out eventually, right?

Hey man, I bought it for P4G, but being able to play MGS3 whenever I want is worth $300 alone.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DeathBySpoon posted:

So is anyone putting out a strategy guide for Golden? I do a lot of my gaming on the train where my phone doesn't get internet, and it'd be really useful for sperging out and getting my social links done perfectly.
I found this: http://www.gamefaqs.com/vita/641695-persona-4-golden/faqs/64630

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Len posted:

Yeah did it a little bit ago and there's way too many steps. A P3P question though, what happens if you have a teammate leveled higher than when it starts learning abilities with it's upgraded persona? I may have ground a bit too much and don't have any teammates with skills left to learn at the point in the game I am.

They gain all of the skills automatically once their persona ascends.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also, keep in mind:

-Kanji is the best. :colbert:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh... oh my god. This is amazing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

W.T. Fits posted:

Because they were willing to return and do additional voice work, whereas Rooney was unable to, supposedly due to some kind of conflict with her union or some such. v:v:v

Nope. Tracey Rooney retired from voice acting.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nate RFB posted:

I don't suppose you've maxed out Hermit? You could pray at the shrine if so.

I'm pretty sure you can't catch the Guardian until November anyway in the original, so he hasn't.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mailer posted:

In P3P, are you screwed for max links if you hit December with a dorm (in this case, Lovers) link one date from being maxed?

I maxed Empress on the last day of the game, so no.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I lost my Raiho plush. :smith:

Although I still have the game, and have barely started it. :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rookersh posted:

:suicide:

So I just beat P3. Still need to play The Answer, but it was the first jRPG I've played since, well, probably ten years ago.

This is a bad idea. The story is bad and the gameplay is compromised for the sake of making it incredibly hard.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

For me, the story is too thin to justify what you have to go through to get it. I also hate one particular plot development (everybody fight each other!) that's contrived as all hell. Really, the only things I like about The Answer are Darkness and Heartful Cry.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wait, we're talking about the PS2 games, right?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just worry about finishing it once, I'm still stuck on that first "protect the civilians" mission. :argh:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

No, it's a full NG+ unlocker. It has its own 8th day in Overclocked too.

Wait, really? What happens in it?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

So I just got Overclocked and I-oh christ come on civvies run away from the demons oh goddammit it critted you.

So yeah, I'm getting pretty frustrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Also I thought P3:FES did have the square warp and that it was just not available in the original?

It does not. Having played P4 and then FES, having to walk out of school every day (or talk to the NPC who lets you warp) was loving awful.